TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Recommend me a cabin case - Ryanair compatible

Recommend me a cabin case - Ryanair compatible

I'm too and fro a bit of late and am going to invest

I see stuff in Debenhams that looks total pants
    But read Argos have decent stuff

I'm dubious but why over pay?

Master
    I've decided to buy a tumi on the basis that I'll have it forever but that's an expensive option

Craftsman
    Track down your nearest Bags etc store (or buy online). They sell airline specific luggage and their prices are reasonable.

http://www.bagsetc.co.uk/cabin-size-by-airline/ryanair

Morrisons have what look like a decent cabin bag, though I'm not an expert.

Craftsman
    Remember that airline restrictions on cabin case size include wheels

Blog Entries
    As always it depends on use if you will use the case on a very regular basis go Tumi or Briggs and Reilly but remember as it is a cabin bag you have control over how it is treated not the "handlers" but there is a myriad of cheaper choice and tk maxx, JLewis do some good kit.

Eastpak have 50% sale and if you register you'll get an additional 15% off: https://www.eastpak.com/uk-en/luggag...sc&order=price

Master
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't spend a fortune because they - or other airlines - might change the permissible dimensions at some point in the future

Master
    I have a tumi carry on but I never use it when i fly with Ryanair- the chances of having to check it it because the lockers are (or will be) full is too high. I had a decent one before the tumi that got trashed after being checked in

I got one from Ikea, it's been all over the place.

They sell approved bags via their website;
    https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/samsonite/buy-now

I worked for Samsonite s few years back and we used to make a specific bag for Ryanair, looks like it's not available anymore, have a look in your local tkmaxx as they get a lot of clearance stuff.

The it works stuff is reasonable particularly for the money.

Samsonite own tumi now, not the quality it was but still a premium product. If you're after premium avoid rimowa, I've been using one for the past 8 months and although it looks good I'm underwhelmed with the quality and customer service.

Master
    I bought one of the now discontinued 2-wheel cabin Rimowas, and it's fabulous.

They only make them in the 4-wheel spinner type now, which I hate (for some unknown reason)

I note the comment above, but I haven't had to use the customer services.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post

They only make them in the 4-wheel spinner type now, which I hate (for some unknown reason)

Same here; I got a two-wheel aluminium Rimowa case while they were still in production, and it's great.

The four-wheeled version is heavier, weaker and has less internal volume. I can also use my two-wheeler as a seat anywhere I like, as its heavy-duty wheels have a burly horizontal axle going straight through them, whereas I wouldn't trust the more-complicated and much-smaller caster-mounted wheels for that.

Rimowa doesn't exactly make junk, so I'm sure the spinner version is fine, but the simpler design is inherently stronger and lighter, which is desirable for something that's meant to last and look better with age.

image credit: rawbean on flickr

Master
    I bought this recently for a 1 night business trip on Jet2,not sure if it's under budget but I'm highly delighted with it.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweepinghand View Post
    I'm too and fro a bit of late and am going to invest

I see stuff in Debenhams that looks total pants
    But read Argos have decent stuff

I'm dubious but why over pay?
    Given where you are I would go to Resorts World at NEC.

We got luggage in there last week from the IT outlet. Absolutely no way I would pay full price but they have a huge range with massive savings over RRP - had another 40% off last week.

We got two large suitcases and some accessories for £90 - RRP was circa £650. As said they were never worth £650 but to me they are well built for the price bracket I got them at

I take 3-4 easyJet or Ryanair flights a week, I bought this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MENGCORE-El...el+shake+mixer

Lasted 3 years no problem, every now and then I strip the wheels down and clean/grease them or they squeak and get full of fluff, it's carry on for both airlines but I have noticed on a few Ryanair flights it won't fit in the overhead locker above th efront row (they are a little shallower).

My only complaint is the single stem handle, it works great but you can't rest a laptop bag over it, and if it goes in hold half full it can get squashed out of shape but pops back ok.

I use an eagle creek shirt caddy and can happily fit the following in

5 shirts
    1 pair trousers
    5 pairs socks
    5 pants
    Electric razor
    Wash kit
    Hair brush
    All computer cables and laptop charger
    Two ties
    Travel umbrella
    Waterproof mac
    Travel protein shake mixer
    And still have a bit of space

Plus they weigh next to nothing.

I heard a rumour that McDonald's will give you a pretty sweet travel case if you manage to scrounge enough discarded receipts. Could be worth a go. :)

Master
    A non suitcase type option is the Osprey Farpoint 40 https://www.ospreyeurope.com/shop/gb_en/farpoint-40-14 Bag of choice for carry on backpackers everywhere. Use in conjunction with some packing cubes and you are sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post

That's the problem, I got the 4 wheeler spinner as the two wheeler (which everyone seems to recommend) is discontinued. It's fine around smooth airport surfaces but a pain once you leave the terminal. You also have to keep hold of it when you're on an inclined travelator.

I've had one broken lock and one of the packaging retainers gave up last week. I ended up fixing the lock myself (it was misaligned) as the customer care advised me I'd have to send it back or drop it in for repair, both seemed like a lot of hassle for such a simple problem.

They do look superb, and I'd agree they look better with a few travel scars and stickers, it's just a shame they don't do the two wheeler anymore.

I forgot all about Resirts World!
    Went over today and found a lovely two wheel cabin case in North Face

It's made of whT appears to be a rubberised waterproof covering
    Very hardcore urban looks and strong

Two year warranty and the guys were v helpful just over £100

Thanks all for input

Looking forward to my next trip

Craftsman
    Very impressed with Rimowa - and, despite comments above, have found customer service second to none. Buy on the internet from Germany (koffer24) and save a mint.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Ascabove

I bought a north face one

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Morrisons have what look like a decent cabin bag, though I'm not an expert.

I just bought this one in a grey finish from Fenwicks, Newcastle, for my recent Berlin trip. Seems very well made and holds a decent amount.

https://www.antler.co.uk/cabin-lugga...case-navy-1701

Journeyman
    Check out Maxwell & Scott, you won't go wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I used to use one of these.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...3zL&ref=plSrch

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I just bought this one in a grey finish from Fenwicks, Newcastle, for my recent Berlin trip. Seems very well made and holds a decent amount.

https://www.antler.co.uk/cabin-lugga...case-navy-1701
    Aubergine is the one to get £39 bargain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Aubergine is the one to get £39 bargain

It does indeed look a bargain, one ordered as a spare!

Master
    Just bought the Samsonite Paradiver in Ryan Air hand luggage size, looks great

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    As always it depends on use if you will use the case on a very regular basis go Tumi or Briggs and Reilly but remember as it is a cabin bag you have control over how it is treated not the "handlers" but there is a myriad of cheaper choice and tk maxx, JLewis do some good kit.
    I've just returned from Sorrento with EasyJet and had to put my cabin bag in the hold there and back (I know I should get to the gate earlier) so it's not always in your control. It now has scuffs that would not be there had I been handling it. Something to remember if you a paying a lot for one.

There is simply not enough locker space on the smaller planes for everyone's carry on luggage so if you are middle to back of the gate queue you are likely to be asked to put your carry on bag in the hold.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    It does indeed look a bargain, one ordered as a spare!
    Well, this case arrived this morning and I am astonished how good the quality is for the price paid! No 'smoke and mirrors' with this, it really IS a bargain!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    I've just returned from Sorrento with EasyJet and had to put my cabin bag in the hold there and back (I know I should get to the gate earlier) so it's not always in your control. It now has scuffs that would not be there had I been handling it. Something to remember if you a paying a lot for one.

There is simply not enough locker space on the smaller planes for everyone's carry on luggage so if you are middle to back of the gate queue you are likely to be asked to put your carry on bag in the hold.
    Going on one of their flights soon with cabin luggage only so interested in this. Is it therefore a rush to get in line at the gate to get the overhead space? If it is full do they then charge you for putting the bag in the hold. I'd hope not but who knows!

Banned
    Blog Entries

The "budget" choice...

I've just bought one of these for single nights away on business... pretty sure I could get enough stuff in there for 3+ nights away, if I had to.

http://www.ryman.co.uk/wenger-potoma...ch-roller-case

The separate laptop briefcase bit is very useful

Be aware that different airlines have different dimension and weight limits:

https://www.skyscanner.net/news/cabi...t-restrictions

Easyjets 56x45x25 no weight restriction

Ryanairs 55x40x20 10kg

Including wheels and handles
    Last edited by John Wall; 17th July 2017 at 18:37.

North face

My north face case is due it's first flight in about ten days

The material it's made of look excellent even if in the hold

Let's see how it goes