closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New arrival, Rolex "Polar" Explorer II 16570

Craftsman

New arrival, Rolex "Polar" Explorer II 16570

It's been a little while since I added something to my collection. The last incoming was a 1960 Vacheron Constantin 6394 that I bought a couple of years ago, but I'd really missed owning a Rolex so had been on the look out for something from that brand that was a little different. I'd owned a Submariner for a few years, and it felt solid in a way my vintage Omega's don't (although I love them), but I didn't want to get another black or silver dial watch, so I decided on a 16570 "Polar" Explorer II.

As I didn't have a huge budget, and because I like the look of drilled lugs I started looking at the older models. This 1997 model turned up today, in great condition with a lovely looking tritium dial and punched papers. It came in a newer style green box which I assume isn't correct for the period?

Very pleased indeed!

The only negative is the bracelet is too short, so I will need to get back to them about it or pop into RSC next week sometime.

Will probably pop it on a light grey Perlon strap in due course.
    Last edited by Joppers; 13th July 2017 at 15:37. Reason: Spelling!

Master
    These are unbelievable value* in my opinion. I bought a black dial recently, and am extremely pleased with it.

Hasn't been off my wrist since it arrived. Yours looks a cracker too!

*If a watch worth 4 figures can be considered value

Journeyman
    Nice. I prefer the white over the black dial on these, but the other way round on the newer model for reasons I've yet to fathom. Enjoy it.

a beaut - I almost got one recently and will regret not doing so as when the time comes to do so the price would have gone whooooosh over my head

Master
    Looks like a nice one! My black dialled version has never been out of rotation since I've had it, they just work. I kind of wish I'd picked up a tritium dial, something to look forward to. Then again, the lume works so they're all good really!

If there weren't so many of them they'd be well on their way to being a sought after classic imo, but maybe (relative) affordability is even better.

Hope you give the bracelet a decent go before going perlon though - it's part of the appeal for me.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 13th July 2017 at 16:07.

Agreed - these really are great watches, and my first Rolex. I have a 1996 white tritium dial on a flip lock bracelet (which was I believe an option rather than the default bracelet on these at that time), and the plots and hands are turning a lovely cream colour, which contrasts very nicely with the white dial. Still really enjoy wearing it .....

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    These are unbelievable value* in my opinion. I bought a black dial recently, and am extremely pleased with it.

Same for me. Put it on the ABP strap I threaded a couple of weeks ago and it is understated but classy. Tough watch as well. I've always been a bit precious about my GMT but I feel less concerned about the Explorer fsr.

Very nice indeed

Master
    Been on my radar for a year or so but keep getting side tracked!

Quote Originally Posted by gee_cee View Post
    Nice. I prefer the white over the black dial on these, but the other way round on the newer model for reasons I've yet to fathom. Enjoy it.
    I agree - perhaps because on the 42mm the white dial makes the watch look larger than the black.

OP - a lovely watch, congratulations.

Congratulations.
    It seems it is quite a popular watch here but I fail to like this inspite of trying.
    One of the few 'sports' Rolexes that just doesn't do it for me. I am sure it is more me than the watch as it is quite popular.
    Enjoy it.👍

Yeah, it's you Raj!

It's probably the only sports Rolex where I'd prefer a tritium to a luminova.
    Amazing value too especially when compared to a GMT with the same movement!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Amazing value too especially when compared to a GMT with the same movement!
    The only difference in functionality being the GMT's moving bezel, is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    The only difference in functionality being the GMT's moving bezel, is that right?
    As far as I'm aware, yes.

Master
    Had my black 16570 a week today and love its subtle nature as opposed to the rest of the Sports range. Mine's running like a dream at +2s p/d and I'm loving it more as each day goes by.

Came about it via sad circumstances I guess, both my parents recently passed away within 3 weeks of each other and I bought it as a way to remember them both, a watch that will never be sold and one worn everyday so that I'm reminded every time I look at it how I was able to afford it. My Dad would probably say "HOW MUCH ????" but I'd remind him that it was him that taught me tell the time, so it's his fault 😋

Enjoy a wonderful watch, I will.

Journeyman
    That's a nice example man, I've a swiss only black dialled one, didn't think i was a big fan until i tried it on, one of my favourites now, gets more wrist time than my sub.

Congratulations on a lovely watch.

The (black in my case) 16570 is my absolute favourite watch ever, I think it is the combination of Professional Rolex, best in class GMT movement, yet subtle in a way that the GMTs and Subs aren't. They are also somewhat of a bargain. My Sub Date and Speedy would go before the Explorer II

Enjoy it

David

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post

Thanks!

They're definitely at the lower end of the Rolex sports price range. I wonder why? Were many more produced than the other models, or are they just unpopular?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Looks like a nice one! My black dialled version has never been out of rotation since I've had it, they just work. I kind of wish I'd picked up a tritium dial, something to look forward to. Then again, the lume works so they're all good really!

If there weren't so many of them they'd be well on their way to being a sought after classic imo, but maybe (relative) affordability is even better.

Hope you give the bracelet a decent go before going perlon though - it's part of the appeal for me.
    Oh, I'll definitely rotate between bracelet (once I've picked up an extra link) and strap, as I used to do with my Submariner.

I tried it on a NATO earlier (grey, sand, green), and it definitely didn't work!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    Had my black 16570 a week today and love its subtle nature as opposed to the rest of the Sports range. Mine's running like a dream at +2s p/d and I'm loving it more as each day goes by.

Came about it via sad circumstances I guess, both my parents recently passed away within 3 weeks of each other and I bought it as a way to remember them both, a watch that will never be sold and one worn everyday so that I'm reminded every time I look at it how I was able to afford it. My Dad would probably say "HOW MUCH ????" but I'd remind him that it was him that taught me tell the time, so it's his fault 

Sorry to read that Gomers :(

Sorry to hear about your recent bereavements. Guess that makes the watch that much more special.

Master
    Thank you gents, appreciate the thoughts. It's been a tough 6 weeks.

Came about it via sad circumstances I guess, both my parents recently passed away within 3 weeks of each other and I bought it as a way to remember them both, a watch that will never be sold and one worn everyday so that I'm reminded every time I look at it how I was able to afford it. My Dad would probably say "HOW MUCH ????" but I'd remind him that it was him that taught me tell the time, so it's his fault

So sorry to hear that. I lost my mum in December and that has been hard, to lose both in such a short time my heart goes out to you! Take care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    So sorry to hear that. I lost my mum in December and that has been hard, to lose both in such a short time my heart goes out to you! Take care.

Thank you, I will and condolences to you too.

Distinctly remember being taught to tell the time by my Dad. We had this big black wooden play clock with different coloured numerals that you could remove and a twirly knob on the back. We'd sit in the kitchen and he'd ask me over and over, "what time is this ?". Will never forget it and I'm convinced my interest in watches was born at this time.

The Exp II is the absolute sleeper in the Sports range and is more affordable because of it and loses nothing to any of its brothers IMO. I do like to root for the underdog and think this is where my admiration for the 16570 is manifested. Who knows where values will go for used examples, not sure they'll go stratospheric like the 16710, some of which are crazy at the moment.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Joppers View Post
    Oh, I'll definitely rotate between bracelet (once I've picked up an extra link) and strap, as I used to do with my Submariner.

I tried it on a NATO earlier (grey, sand, green), and it definitely didn't work!
    It took me a while but I think my black dial 16570 looks great on a nato

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Had my "Polar" for getting on for 2 years, bought from GMTMaster. It gets most wear of all my watches, as I work in the 3rd sector it's discrete but people who notice these things will notice.
    Last edited by J J Carter; 14th July 2017 at 20:46.

Craftsman
    Probably the most undervalued and under appreciated watch in the Rolex collection, when you consider the relative prices of Subs and GMTs

Journeyman
    Completely agree with the last point. Superb watch.

Master
    I'm a fan of Explorers and also think they are undervalued, I've thought it for while to be honest .

Versatile wear great on the wrist and in comparison to Subs they are just that bit different and you don't see that many knocking around .

Wish I still had my full set unpolished polar that I sold for mental justification when I got my 1016 .

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by marksh View Post
    I'm a fan of Explorers and also think they are undervalued, I've thought it for while to be honest .

Versatile wear great on the wrist and in comparison to Subs they are just that bit different and you don't see that many knocking around .

Wish I still had my full set unpolished polar that I sold for mental justification when I got my 1016 .
    I agree, the Explorers are very much undervalued and great at creating the understated yet elegant look

Probably the Rolex I wear most - had a couple of polars before and I never really liked them tbh. Too much whitey blacky stuff for my eyes. Found this - time has mellowed it a bit, warm tritium, stealth bezel, not to everyone's taste - but for me it's perfect. (I did source a new looking age appropriate bezel when I first got it but changed my mind on fitting it!!)

Craftsman

Came about it via sad circumstances I guess, both my parents recently passed away within 3 weeks of each other and I bought it as a way to remember them both, a watch that will never be sold and one worn everyday so that I'm reminded every time I look at it how I was able to afford it. My Dad would probably say "HOW MUCH ????" but I'd remind him that it was him that taught me tell the time, so it's his fault 

Sorry to hear your news,Gomers.
    My parents both died at Christmastide last year.
    As someone told me on another forum,"That's a hard knock and no mistake".
    Time will heal,I am told but not a day passes without me thinking of them and I am sure the same will be true of you.
    Like you I am buying a watch to remember them, a Rolex OP,which should arrive from the AD in the post today.
    Wear your watch with pride in your parents and in celebration of their lives.
    Take care.
    Regards,
    Topcat666

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by topcat666 View Post
    Sorry to hear your news,Gomers.
    My parents both died at Christmastide last year.
    As someone told me on another forum,"That's a hard knock and no mistake".
    Time will heal,I am told but not a day passes without me thinking of them and I am sure the same will be true of you.
    Like you I am buying a watch to remember them, a Rolex OP,which should arrive from the AD in the post today.
    Wear your watch with pride in your parents and in celebration of their lives.
    Take care.
    Regards,
    Topcat666
    Aww, bless you Topcat, thanks. As I'm sure you know it's a complete hammer blow when it happens, especially when it's not expected. Yep, not a day goes by, you're right. I'm finding a different kind of sensation with my new watch, like, this one really means something unlike the umpteen that have been flipped before.

Hope your OP allows you that window into their memory, which will make it even more special and sincere condolences to you too chief.

Only one question remains then, 36 or 39 OP ? 🙂

Craftsman
    36 blue.
    I came close to buying the 34 blue in shop but held back as the dial seemed a little small.
    That's the problem with having a 6.5 inch wrist but the 36 has just been delivered today on approval and I think it's a keeper so will advise AD who will send box and papers (including I trust the warranty card - it's not like it's a high end sports model!).
    The 39 both in OP and Explorer I (which I really wanted to like) just seemed too big for my wrist.
    Take care.
    Topcat666

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Same for me. Put it on the ABP strap I threaded a couple of weeks ago and it is understated but classy. Tough watch as well. I've always been a bit precious about my GMT but I feel less concerned about the Explorer fsr.
    Would you mind posting some pics of this please? A black dial explorer was my first Rolex, bought from Mallory's in Bath years ago and it's a firm favourite. I tried some other straps a while ago but went back to the bracelet but in general I prefer a strap.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Leather for me today again

And on NATO

Last edited by demonloop; 15th July 2017 at 11:23.

I had a polar version but always felt it was a bit too conspicuous if I ended up some place that my mum would have warned me about when I was younger! I like the way no one notices my black version.

Quote Originally Posted by berin View Post
    Would you mind posting some pics of this please? A black dial explorer was my first Rolex, bought from Mallory's in Bath years ago and it's a firm favourite. I tried some other straps a while ago but went back to the bracelet but in general I prefer a strap.

Ok

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    stealth bezel, not to everyone's taste - but for me it's perfect.

I love that bezel, and would love to turn mine into one, but have no idea how it was done. Thoughts? Anyone?

Master
    Nice - thank you. What's the deployant? I know you said the strap is ABP, is that a calf leather?

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith;44

Ok

Nice - thank you. What's the deployant? I know you said the strap is ABP, is that a calf leather?

When you say "what's the deployant?" I'm not sure what you mean. It just came with the strap.
    I believe it is rubberised calf and handstitched so top of the range ABP afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by rgwarden View Post
    I love that bezel, and would love to turn mine into one, but have no idea how it was done. Thoughts? Anyone?
    Ha, another heretic ;)

I'm guessing that it naturally lost so much of the paint that it became easier to tidy up by removing the rest of it than filling it in with the humbrol/toothpick technique. Quite how one does it at home without scratching the metal, no idea. Initial thoughts are wooden or plastic toothpick and gentle taps.

I'd expect that there are plenty of loose exp ii bezels with partial paint loss around - I'd probably pick one up and have a go, and if no joy then ask a watchmaker to beadblast it out then refinish with the radial brushing the rest of the bezel needs.

Craftsman
    Ha, another heretic
    Don't tell anyone on here but I've already tried a couple of times... with a toothpick, with nail polish remover, but that paint just won't shift one iota. I like the idea of picking up an old one and working on it though, then having the option of both so I can finally scratch this itch.
    My black face one is currently back with Rolex because it's been running too fast (+5) since its service, and I miss the thing like crazy.

Craftsman
    But have you seen how expensive used ones are on eBay...and who knows if they're original or not??

I'd put up a wtb for one on VRF and see what's offered.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post

When you say "what's the deployant?" I'm not sure what you mean. It just came with the strap.
    I believe it is rubberised calf and handstitched so top of the range ABP afaik.
    Thanks, that what I was asking

Craftsman
    That looks great! Looking forward to seeing how the dial plots and hands age on mine.

Master
    I've jumped on the wagon too, will try both for a while before deciding.

I've always been a black dial fan, but the black markers and hands are very legible on the polar

This still remains my perfect watch. Maybe one day...

Craftsman
    The polar is spectacular. The black dial is spectacular. Ahhhhhhh they're all spectacular