closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Such a thing as a fake Hirsch strap?

Such a thing as a fake Hirsch strap?

Bit of a weird one here, after posting a WTB for a decent 19mm lizard strap to go with my Omega F300, took advice and went for a Hirsch. Saw one on Amazon - 3rd party seller, but Amazon guarantee, so no probs if it has to go back. So I bought this, for £40:

Few days later, this turned up:

Lizard pattern seems very uniform, strap is ultra shiny.

Here, I've laid it on top of a genuine lizard strap I already have, so you can see the difference.

Buckle is VERY lightweight. Almost feels like plastic.

However, the Hirsch logo here is properly stamped as it was printed, looks very similar to another Hirsch I have.

So, is this just how Hirsch make their "lizard" straps? Or is it somehow a fake Hirsch? Bizarre!

I am no expert on Lizard straps but would not surprise me at all if Hirsch straps were been faked, not sure how you can tell bar the quality of stitching and leather?

Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    I am no expert on Lizard straps but would not surprise me at all if Hirsch straps were been faked, not sure how you can tell bar the quality of stitching and leather?
    It just "feels" wrong. Certainly doesn't look anything like the picture on Amazon.

Just wondering if this is just how Hirsch "do" lizard, before I send it back. Such a shame, as 19mm is a pain in the bum to find a good strap for.

Here's a picture I found in watch obsession who sell genuine Hirsch straps, how does it compare to yours?

and direct link to strap on website

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/pro...iant=317692695

Thanks - those certainly look like they have more texture in the lizard-y-ness, if that's a thing.

Buckle looks right though. Hard to tell without having it in your hand. Thanks for your help, but hopefully someone's got first hand experience of one.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks - those certainly look like they have more texture in the lizard-y-ness, if that's a thing.

Buckle looks right though. Hard to tell without having it in your hand. Thanks for your help, but hopefully someone's got first hand experience of one.

If WatchObsession are a known good vendor, I'll buy one off there and compare them.

Craftsman
    I previously got stung purchasing fake memory cards from an Amazon 3rd party seller - Unfortunately I'd say there are as many scammers on there as eBay!

With regards to the strap itself, I'd definitely question the uniformity of the scales as you have.
    It's possible it's an authentic Hirsch, but a calfskin leather embossed lizard effect strap, as opposed to genuine lizard skin.

Am wearing a Hirsch Lizard today, so just took it off my wrist to take these photos for you:

Do they help reassure you?

Quote Originally Posted by stelmo01 View Post
    I previously got stung purchasing fake memory cards from an Amazon 3rd party seller - Unfortunately I'd say there are as many scammers on there as eBay!

With regards to the strap itself, I'd definitely question the uniformity of the scales as you have.
    It's possible it's an authentic Hirsch, but a calfskin leather embossed lizard effect strap, as opposed to genuine lizard skin.
    I think you might be on to something there. Definitely looks (and sounds, from the description) more like the "effect" strap, rather than the real thing. Although, I've noticed on mine there is no stitching. It appears to be glued all over, like second one. If only they had pictures of the backs of both of them on there!

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Am wearing a Hirsch Lizard today, so just took it off my wrist to take these photos for you:
    So many thanks for doing that. Yours definitely has less uniformity in the lizard scales. The buckle looks so much better, and the print of the logo is ever so slightly different to mine.

I think, on balance, even if it a real Hirsch, it's not what was in the Amazon photo, and it's not right for the watch, and it's certainly not a £40 strap. I'll get it returned via Amazon. The search continues!

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Bit of a weird one here, after posting a WTB for a decent 19mm lizard strap to go with my Omega F300, took advice and went for a Hirsch. Saw one on Amazon - 3rd party seller, but Amazon guarantee, so no probs if it has to go back. So I bought this, for £40:

Few days later, this turned up:

Lizard pattern seems very uniform, strap is ultra shiny.

Here, I've laid it on top of a genuine lizard strap I already have, so you can see the difference.

Buckle is VERY lightweight. Almost feels like plastic.

However, the Hirsch logo here is properly stamped as it was printed, looks very similar to another Hirsch I have.

So, is this just how Hirsch make their "lizard" straps? Or is it somehow a fake Hirsch? Bizarre!

That's genuine ok.

It's their strap ref.017 66 10 which is an unstitched dark brown lizard skin. The shiny surface is how they are supplied and the variance in the scales and look of the strap is because it is made from genuine Lizard skin and not grained to look like it. The size and shape of the scales depends on what part of the skin it is made from(and I guess what breed) You will get the same with real Croc or Alligator straps.

Craftsman
    everything is faked these days , if there is a market I guess its copied..

Craftsman
    The picture that Der Amf has uploaded looks nothing at all like the one the OP bought from amazon.

I agree with whoever said it was probably genuine but miss described. It looks like embossed ordinary leather to me and the price is probably in line with that.

Craftsman
    I'm pretty sure the embossed version is called "Rainbow".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Pretty sure the little alligator logo there is to state that the 'exotic leather' is ethically sourced CITES approved. They would usually apply that logo only to their genuine hide straps.

Whilst every hide is obviously a little different, it does seem very unlikely you'd have such a uniform scale pattern.

I call fake on it. Unfortunately a big problem for Amazon and the like, as they have to trust their sellers to be genuine. How was the feedback on that item? Was there any shouts of fake there? Amazon do cleanse those off if they notice, which is really helpful! In the case of a suspicious bottle of aftershave I bought, there were many reviews which suggested my suspicion was founded and that I had been sent a fake product.

You may want to email Hirsch to see what they think.

Quote Originally Posted by dommorton View Post
    You may want to email Hirsch to see what they think.
    That was my thought as well.

Being Amazon, and the fact that it was not as described, means I've sent it back for a full refund.

No faffing about. I'm more thinking it's a real Hirsch, just the wrong one.