closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Shocking observations after returning to the hobby.

Threaded View

Craftsman

Shocking observations after returning to the hobby.

Hi guys.

I've been away from the hobby now for at least a couple of years, just wearing and enjoying the watches I own in rotation and not really caring about anything else. That is until a few days ago when the bug really hit me again out of the blue, so I started logging on to the forums and websites I used to and I can't believe how much some things have changed and others haven't.
    For example, pricing.

When I was kid, fresh out of school and started working, I nearly bought a Rolex submariner. In the end I didn't but the only thing that put me off was the chance it may get smashed up or robbed at one of the, erm, colourful warehouse parties I used to frequent in the north of England. Price wasn't really an issue.

Fast forward to around 6 years ago when I got really into watches and I realised that I could never justify the price of any Rolex, not new anyway, so my attention turned to the Omega moonwatch prof as the watch I lusted and drooled over. Imagine my surprise then when I go online and realise that it's now more or less doubled in price and is every bit as unaffordable as the Rolex.

And it isn't just Omega either. A whole host of brands have moved from just outside my grasp to well and truly out of reach like a helium filled balloon rising up into the night sky.

So I started poking around and found what I expected to be a bland Christopher Ward website, only to be blown away be bespoke movements, inhouse complications and lots of cool designs. Prices have gone up, but they do seem to be offering a lot more watch for the money in most cases, something that I don't feel a lot of the other companies are even making a token gesture towards ( ok, maybe Omega are). Even the seriously dodgy multi fonted Chr Ward London branding is being phased out in favour of a cleaner logo that's dropped the weird London, but not from London, abomination.

So imagine my surprise when I go onto TZUK and find there's still no love for them. Why would that be? The main gripes used to be things like they had nothing original to offer and they were a bit Ratnereque, now that's just changed to things like they hate the look of the website.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. What I really want to know is with things changing so much in such a short time, who do you consider to be the brands with the best bang for buck? Perhaps leaving aside Rolex et al, who I realise can still be considered good value if you buy second hand then flip a few years down the line.

Personally i'd probably look to spend a grand or less on my next watch but feel free to recommend anything.

I notice Steinhart hasn't changed it's pricing much, but I no longer like the designs like I used to, although their resale value used to be amazing at one time. I'm not sure if that's still the case or not.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by coldwarkid; 16th July 2017 at 19:41.