timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The death of Doctor Who??

Quote Originally Posted by unclealec View Post
    Ex fo liate!!!!

Ex fo liate!!!!!
    Hahaha!

Back on topic, I didn't realise the show had continued after William Hartnell left . . .
    F.T.F.A.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by odyseus10 View Post
    You cant say that!! You get chased out of town by all Corbyn's Momentum Guardian reading deciples :)

Does it ever occur to you that you seem to have a bigger problem than the imaginary 'Corbyn's Momentum Guardian reading disciples' you keep making up? TZ - UK is vaguely right of centre and you can count the harder lefties on one hand. None of them are the sort of lefties you are fantasising about. In fact, the sort of lefties you area imagining were a brief, largely academic, flash in the pan thirty odd years ago and a convenient right wing bugaboo ever since. The irony of this inverted political correctness attacking a fantasy enemy shouldn't be lost on many.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    Does it ever occur to you that you seem to have a bigger problem than the imaginary 'Corbyn's Momentum Guardian reading disciples' you keep making up? TZ - UK is vaguely right of centre and you can count the harder lefties on one hand. None of them are the sort of lefties you are fantasising about. In fact, the sort of lefties you area imagining were a brief, largely academic, flash in the pan thirty odd years ago and a convenient right wing bugaboo ever since. The irony of this inverted political correctness attacking a fantasy enemy shouldn't be lost on many.
    Interesting how people attack people's personal views, instead of accepting they are entitled to their views or opinions. So have you got the facts to back up your sweeping generalisation on the political persuasion of the membership here on TZ??..thought not

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    There's actually grown men* getting wound up about a female Dr Who. Incredible.

* I assume they are grown men.....I can't be sure.

I'd be more worried if they replaced the actress in the Hotel Trivago advert.

And the Admiral Insurance one.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using TZ-UK mobile app

Have you heard about The Dam Busters remake with 15 female crews?

Why not?

Saving Private Ryan with Jennifer Aniston as Captain Miller?

Why not?

No Country For Old Men with Glenn Close in Javier Bardem's role?

Why not?

How about

Kill Bill with Chris Hemsworth in the lead role?

The Sound of Music with Michael Jackson or Prince playing Maria?

Erin Brokovitch with Tom Cruise as Erin?

Basic Instinct with some actor with a 10" cock playing Catherine Tramell?

Yeah...I can see it working.
    Not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Have you heard about The Dam Busters remake with 15 female crews?

Why not?

Saving Private Ryan with Jennifer Aniston as Captain Miller?

Why not?

No Country For Old Men with Glenn Close in Javier Bardem's role?

Why not?

How about

Kill Bill with Chris Hemsworth in the lead role?

The Sound of Music with Michael Jackson or Prince playing Maria?

Erin Brokovitch with Tom Cruise as Erin?

Basic Instinct with some actor with a 10" cock playing Catherine Tramell?

Yeah...I can see it working.
    Not.
    Almost all of those would be great. I wouldn't watch some of them, purely because I don't like the original film.

However, you *do* realise that some of them are non-fiction don't you (and SPR obviously has some elements from real life) ? It is truly, specially, ridiculously, idiotic to equate a fictional alien from a kids TV show changing gender with changing the gender of the Dambusters or Erin Brockovich ��

Guys, guys.... The Doctor isn't even human.
    If my wife is representative of the sex, that puts women in pole position.

I'm not sure it should be a 'female' taking on the role...if TFL's new gender neutral approach on the London Underground is anything to go on:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ements-gender/

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I'm not sure it should be a 'female' taking on the role...if TFL's new gender neutral approach on the London Underground is anything to go on:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...ements-gender/
    Sorry but you are not allowed to have this view and will no doubt be accused of being a misogynist!

Someone explain Time "Lord" to me then go to that big place in London and explain it to them

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Sorry but you are not allowed to have this view and will no doubt be accused of being a misogynist!
    Ah bless, you certainly have got your panties in a twist, shall I pour you a glass of suck it up Mary?

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Ah bless, you certainly have got your panties in a twist, shall I pour you a glass of suck it up Mary?
    I really can't be arsed with your sarcasm
    Last edited by odyseus10; 17th July 2017 at 21:19.

My 16 year old son, who grew up in London with a broad range of friends and is about as 'pc' as you can get, commented how ludicrous it is that the world of entertainment has now swung so far in the 'right on' direction that every hero of every movie, be it Star Wars or Dr Who or whatever is an 'empowered woman' with the men portrayed as either evil or idiots or both, and nearly every talk show low has a gay male as a host almost without exception. He grew up with the 'new' Dr Who and has grown bored with the way a gay character or storyline is incongruously shoehorned into every storyline. He wonders what's wrong with being a heterosexual male in 2017?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    My 16 year old son, who grew up in London with a broad range of friends and is about as 'pc' as you can get, commented how ludicrous it is that the world of entertainment has now swung so far in the 'right on' direction that every hero of every movie, be it Star Wars or Dr Who or whatever is an 'empowered woman' with the men portrayed as either evil or idiots or both, and nearly every talk show low has a gay male as a host almost without exception. He grew up with the 'new' Dr Who and has grown bored with the way a gay character or storyline is incongruously shoehorned into every storyline. He wonders what's wrong with being a heterosexual male in 2017?

'Every hero of every movie'. What a load of scaremongering daily mail reading cobblers. There has been a handful of high-profile female roles, but the majority of lead roles are still for male actors. Look at the 20 top grossing films of last year :

Male lead :
    Tarzan
    Independence Day Resurgence
    Jason Bourne
    Warcraft
    Doctor Strange
    Fantastic Beasts
    Deadpool
    Batman v Superman
    Jungle Book
    Captain America

Female lead :
    The Mermaid

Cartoons :
    Moana
    Ice Age
    Secret life of pets
    Zootopia
    Finding Dory

Male and female stars :
    X-Men Apocalypse
    Suicide Squad
    Star Wars Rogue One

By my count, that's a single film with female lead.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Poor wee soul.
    That's heartbreaking.

How about giving him some paper and a pen and encouraging him make note of every film in the "good films" thread (for the sake of random selection)

Then ask him to count how many have heterosexual male leads.
    How many have "empowered female" leads.

Then tell him (sensitively of course) that heterosexual men make up less than half of the world's population and ask him how the numbers stack up.

In fact, let's look at today's cinema listings.

Spiderman - male
    Baby driver - male
    Planet of the apes- male
    Wonder woman - female
    Transformers- male
    All eyez on me - male
    Pirates of the Caribbean - male
    The house - male
    Dunkirk - male
    Cars - male
    Baywatch - male
    The mummy - male

Yep. It's an invasion.

Looks like wonder woman and rogue one have really tipped the balance.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Exactly RS.
    Sorry about echoing your post. I was legit reading the listings :)

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Exactly RS.
    Sorry about echoing your post. I was legit reading the listings :)
    Haha. I was going to do this year's too, now I don't need to, so cheers :)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Interesting how people attack people's personal views, instead of accepting they are entitled to their views or opinions. So have you got the facts to back up your sweeping generalisation on the political persuasion of the membership here on TZ??..thought not
    I don't want to accuse you of being a hypocrite or anything, but I was responding to your assertion that:

You cant say that!! You get chased out of town by all Corbyn's Momentum Guardian reading deciples :)
    Which looks a lot like an ad hom of your own. As for my sweeping generalisation that TZ - UK is vaguely right of centre, if you can find anyone who has been here long enough to access the whole site who disagrees with that, I'll be surprised.
    Last edited by M4tt; 17th July 2017 at 23:09.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Mind you, having got that out of my system, while I think the last doctor is a superb actor, the scripts were so dire this last series that anything at all has to be an improvement.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by M4tt View Post
    As for my sweeping generalisation that TZ - UK is vaguely right of centre, .
    "Vaguely"? The average forum member is, apparently, somewhat to the right of Norman Tebbit.

Poor wee soul.
    That's heartbreaking.

How about giving him some paper and a pen and encouraging him make note of every film in the "good films" thread (for the sake of random selection)

Then tell him (sensitively of course) that heterosexual men make up less than half of the world's population and ask him how the numbers stack up.

Spiderman - male
    Baby driver - male
    Planet of the apes- male
    Wonder woman - female
    Transformers- male
    All eyez on me - male
    The house - male
    Dunkirk - male
    Cars - male
    Baywatch - male
    The mummy - male

Yep. It's an invasion.

Planet of the Apes - Does an ape lead role really class as male domination in cinema?

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Planet of the Apes - Does an ape lead role really class as male domination in cinema?
    If it was a female lead, some people would be using it as one of their examples of the 'fact' that 'nowadays every lead role goes to females', so yes ;)

Master
    I cant see how it matters, surely it would just depend on if she is any good or not.......... There are certain roles you can mess with and certain ones you cant (gender wise). This is one for sure you can or at least give it a go and see what happens. Bond is one I dont think would would work and Ghostbusters also clearly did not! Certainly not worth being weird about though, if it doesnt work I am sure they will be back to weird looking nerdy blokes next season!!

It would have been more interesting if this regeneration had happened before the demise of the last companion.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

and nearly every talk show low has a gay male as a host almost without exception. He grew up with the 'new' Dr Who and has grown bored with the way a gay character or storyline is incongruously shoehorned into every storyline. He wonders what's wrong with being a heterosexual male in 2017?

I don't watch Dr.Who, I much preferred the shaky studio sets of the 60's episodes, lol, instead of CGI, but he's right for most TV.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Hahaha!

Back on topic, I didn't realise the show had continued after William Hartnell left . . .
    Yes.. The majority of steam trains have also been phased out and Australia is no longer part of the empire. Hth. Dave
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

My partner and I watch the show, we really like Peter Capaldi, he was always going to be a particularly hard Dr to follow. I'm happy to give 'Beth' a go but my lady says she's not watching any more as she can't stand the actress! Gender does not bother me, I really liked Missy & River Song.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Woody Harrelson doesn't play an ape.

Female Ghostbusters clearly did work given it's success in the box office.

Female Ghostbusters clearly did work given it's success in the box office.
    I loved the original, the sequel less so and thought that the female version was excellent.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    The majority of trains have also been phased out ....
    FTFY, at least regarding Southern

Do the males in your family spend a lot of time noting down which TV hosts and characters are guy and straight?

Purely for research purposes I'm sure.
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 18th July 2017 at 10:50.

Quote Originally Posted by rsykes2000 View Post
    'Every hero of every movie'. What a load of scaremongering daily mail reading cobblers. There has been a handful of high-profile female roles, but the majority of lead roles are still for male actors. Look at the 20 top grossing films of last year :

Male lead :
    Tarzan
    Independence Day Resurgence
    Jason Bourne
    Warcraft
    Doctor Strange
    Fantastic Beasts
    Deadpool
    Batman v Superman
    Jungle Book
    Captain America

Female lead :
    The Mermaid

Cartoons :
    Moana
    Ice Age
    Secret life of pets
    Zootopia
    Finding Dory

Male and female stars :
    X-Men Apocalypse
    Suicide Squad
    Star Wars Rogue One

By my count, that's a single film with female lead.
    Yeah, but every one, without exception, is a gay character - It's all true!

Interesting people citing the recent "Ghostbusters" remake as an example of female characters replacing male ones not working.

I can't really see any reason why it wouldn't work (as opposed to Saving Private Ryan or Erin Brokervich - Although in the latter case a man could do all the same things, but it would be a big shift in something portraying a true story to change the primary player's gender. Obviously in WW2 women weren't allowed on the front line) and presume it didn't work because it was a crap remake, whoever played the parts.

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 18th July 2017 at 11:19.

Quote Originally Posted by P ELLIS View Post
    The wife is a " whovian" and says it's about time and surprised there hasn't been a coloured Dr , I'm very unconvinced she can carry it off as the male Dr is generally very quirky and odd with some backbone etc ...
    'coloured'!?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I loved the original, the sequel less so and thought that the female version was excellent.
    I did too. Really enjoyed it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    'coloured'!?
    The new one has blonde hair and pink skin, doesn't that cover it?

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    The new one has blonde hair and pink skin, doesn't that cover it?
    Maybe he stopped watching when Hartnell left too

M.

In response to the title of this Thread, and nothing else, I'd point out that the 2003 reboot of BSG recast Starbuck and ended up creating quite an interesting series (even if it did lose it's way a little in the middle Seasons). I suppose that the Lucy Liu version of Watson has been moderately successful too. Change isn't always the death knell.

Poor wee soul.
    That's heartbreaking.

Spiderman - male
    Baby driver - male
    Planet of the apes- male
    Wonder woman - female
    Transformers- male
    All eyez on me - male
    The house - male
    Dunkirk - male
    Cars - male
    Baywatch - male
    The mummy - male

Yep. It's an invasion.

Spiderman - male - asper the title diffiult to change this one unless they produce a Spiderwoman instead
    Baby driver - male - He is still a baby so doesnt count as a man
    Planet of the apes - male - Ape social structure isnt affected by PC BS
    Wonder woman - female
    Transformers- male - If they are Cars they are female
    All eyez on me - male - Biographic cant change it
    Pirates of the Caribbean - male - that hair/make up and jewellery I'm not sure
    The house - male - joint lead just the Male probably had more clout so got listed first
    Dunkirk - male - its Historical/semi factual you cant change it
    Cars - male - all cars are female
    Baywatch - male - do you really watch Baywatch for the male lead
    The mummy - male - that opens a another can of worms, would you have to change it to The Daddy to have a female lead

Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    In response to the title of this Thread, and nothing else, I'd point out that the 2003 reboot of BSG recast Starbuck and ended up creating quite an interesting series (even if it did lose it's way a little in the middle Seasons). I suppose that the Lucy Liu version of Watson has been moderately successful too. Change isn't always the death knell.
    I have no doubt Jodie Whittaker is a fine actress, but for me this isn't the issue and it's ridiculous to accuse people with this view as being a misogynist - I certainly DO NOT hate women.
    My personal opinion is that Dr Who is an iconic male lead. They have kept the same/similar format with show though out, ie theme tune, tadis, companions, monsters etc so I would have preferred a spin off series if they wanted to a have a female 'Time Lord' . In the end time and ratings will tell. If the series is still success then great but this doesn't mean I have to watch it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by TBKBABAB View Post
    Spiderman - male - asper the title diffiult to change this one unless they produce a Spiderwoman instead
    Baby driver - male - He is still a baby so doesnt count as a man
    Couple of minor points, Baby Driver lead character isn't a baby. Also there's been a Spider-Woman character since the 70s :)

Oh also re 'all cars are female', maybe you could tell that to Owen Wilson and next time he could put on an effeminate voice for the main character - might that suit you better ? :)
    Last edited by rsykes2000; 18th July 2017 at 13:35.

I have no doubt Jodie Whittaker is a fine actress, but for me this isn't the issue and it's ridiculous to accuse people with this view as being a misogynist - I certainly DO NOT hate women.
    My personal opinion is that Dr Who is an iconic male lead. They have kept the same/similar format with show though out, ie theme tune, tadis, companions, monsters etc so I would have preferred a spin off series if they wanted to a have a female 'Time Lord' . In the end time and ratings will tell. If the series is still success then great but this doesn't mean I have to watch it anymore.
    If only you'd have said that much more reasoned viewpoint in the first post of the thread, you might not have come across so badly.
    The hyperbole of "Now that it's been announced that Jodie Whittaker will be the next Doctor Who, is this the end?" and "I've been watching Doctor Who since the 1970's and it looks like the terribly Politically Correct BBC have finally signed it's death warrant?
    I won't be watching it anymore :(" is much less reasonably put...

If only you'd have said that much more reasoned viewpoint in the first post of the thread, you might not have come across so badly.
    The hyperbole of "Now that it's been announced that Jodie Whittaker will be the next Doctor Who, is this the end?" and "I've been watching Doctor Who since the 1970's and it looks like the terribly Politically Correct BBC have finally signed it's death warrant?
    I won't be watching it anymore :(" is much less reasonably put...
    Maybe it was a little terse, but it hardly warranted a whole lot of bitchy comments though.

Maybe it was a little terse, but it hardly warranted a whole lot of bitchy comments though.
    Unfortunately on social media (particularly Twitter), there's a lot of unreasonably negative opinions about women being expressed at the moment in relation to film and television actors (and that's putting it very very mildly - presumably you've heard about the rape and death threats to the female actors in the Ghostbusters remake...). This seemed to fit into that narrative, a lot of people are sick of having to defend women as being equal to men, or in some cases even as human beings.

Couple of minor points, Baby Driver lead character isn't a baby. Also there's been a Spider-Woman character since the 70s :)

Oh also re 'all cars are female', maybe you could tell that to Owen Wilson and next time he could put on an effeminate voice for the main character - might that suit you better ? :)
    Baby Driver lead character isn't a baby - Really.........................

Also there's been a Spider-Woman character since the 70s - The film is called Spiderman...............

Oh also re 'all cars are female', maybe you could tell that to Owen Wilson and next time he could put on an effeminate voice for the main character - might that suit you better ? - I'ts a Cartoon all
    real cars are female.............my satnavs have always been female...........and dont mention Kitt that was dubbed

Was only trying lighten things up a bit, doesnt often work on here

Well, Watson's been around for a lot longer, and had quite a few more actors playing him on stage, screen and radio. I just don't recall it being such a big deal back in 2012. I'm still able to watch Sherlock, Elementary and the old Basil Rathbone films without too much concern. But maybe it's my age. I'm looking forward to the new series - I never thought I'd be able to imagine Malcolm Tucker in a telephone box, but it's amazing how things change.

Last edited by Broussard; 18th July 2017 at 17:03.

There's been gender bending with roles in the theatre since the ancient Greeks. Shakespeare was no exception, asking boys to play girls playing boys. My only problem with gender or indeed race neutrality is when it confuses the plot, and I don't mean when historical veracity is impinged. It can generate previously unseen nuisances and new insights into familiar tales and that can only be a good thing. If you don't like that version there are bound to be many classical versions to which you can revert.

BTW I stopped watching The Doctor when Tom Baker hung up his scarf. I met him as a 10 year old in John Menzies when he was signing books. I can still hear that tremendous voice simply saying, "Hello David." Wow! :)
    Last edited by dkpw; 18th July 2017 at 16:59. Reason: typo

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I find it amusing that in a fictional universe that has time travel, re-generation and aliens that the lead character being female for the first time has caused such uproar amongst fans for being stupid and not right 藍藍藍
    How many other well-known, well-established sci-fi characters change gender, then? Did Han Solo become Hannah in one of the Star Wars films, perhaps? Can you think of one?

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover View Post
    How many other well-known, well-established sci-fi characters change gender, then? Did Han Solo become Hannah in one of the Star Wars films, perhaps? Can you think of one?
    Are only considering that the whole point is that the character is regenerating and as such allow it to change to a different actor by age, skin colour or indeed sex, which wouldn't be an option in any of the analogies attempted here to oppose the change.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.