closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Speedmaster automatic homage

Journeyman

Speedmaster automatic homage

Hi all

Quite like the look of the Omega Speedmaster moon watch, don't want to go for the whole hog at this point

Any suggestions regarding any automatic homage watches based on the Speedmaster. I know Seiko make some similar models but all seem to be in quartz, however, I prefer a mechanical version

Any suggestions?

Look at Alpha watches

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis9 View Post
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpha-Spee...IAAOSw241YkyW-

I have the 'Paul Newman daytona' version from the same seller, mechanical chrono, all works and keeps good time. Quality is good enough for the amount paid.
    That looks very good.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    Discontinued and quartz.

Journeyman
    Any automatic suggestions rather than manual wind up and also any suggestions that are closer to Steinhart in quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleem View Post
    Any automatic suggestions rather than manual wind up and also any suggestions that are closer to Steinhart in quality?
    No

Either you start saving the pennies now or be forever disappointed with whatever you buy that isn't the Speedmaster.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    No
    That's a shame as I'm probably looking for something in the middle and don't mind spending a little more

Master
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpha-Spee...IAAOSw241YkyW-

I have the 'Paul Newman daytona' version from the same seller, mechanical chrono, all works and keeps good time. Quality is good enough for the amount paid.
    I'm not sure I could wear a watch that says Chronometer, when clearly it isn't, apart from that not a bad looker for the price

Looks like a speedmaster

CITIZEN-SPEEDMASTER-CHRONOGRAPH-AN0880-57E-or-0510-K16008-/322588135127?hash=item4b1bc04ed7:g:M68AAOSw5bFZZSP d&_trkparms=pageci%253A7ecd46b6-6894-11e7-bf3f-74dbd180f70a%257Cparentrq%253A4130363915d0aa42eb45 7f2bffe677fd%257Ciid%25

http://m.ebay.ca/itm/CITIZEN-SPEEDMA...%257Ciid%253A1

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Either you start saving the pennies now or be forever disappointed with whatever you buy that isn't the Speedmaster.
    He is right. I once wanted a Benrus US issued type I or II was cheap and bought a MKII blackwater a look alike was no Benrus. This was back in the days before the real Benrus doubled in price during that time I got a real one and sold that MKII glad I did. And once I wanted a Speedy and I was cheap again and went with the omega speedmaster mk II because it was halve the price of a speedy dam thing was to big and uncomfortable for the wrist. Well at NAWCC show I found a seller with 5 vintage speedy's for sell got a Speedy cir.1972 for 1400.00 US sold that other one I got as a substitute. One thing I found out being cheap never works and a substitute for what you really want never works. I have been cheap on few other watches I wanted in the beginning of watch collecting 15-20 years ago your never happy with a substitute learn from my mistakes. Right now I get the real thing I want or if I can't afford it pass and save for it.
    Last edited by River Rat; 14th July 2017 at 14:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Thats not necacerily true, depends if you want a close as possible or similar in style. Ive had numerous homages to different styles, paying a £few is almost always dissapointing, paying more for some decent components in a good case is much better value and can be a low cost way of seeing if a style/type suits as the real deal can be a costly mistake.
    There are a lot of great quality .out there that a inspired by an icon but not a clone, dip your toe in the water is lovely.

gosh my typing skills are rubbish

Journeyman
    Let's put it another way and forget about the Speedmaster homage, which chronometer type watch would represent the best bang for the money that is automatic and at the sub £500 price point?

Let's put it another way and forget about the Speedmaster homage, which chronometer type watch would represent the best bang for the money that is automatic and at the sub £500 price point?
    Do you mean chronograph?.

I presume he does mean chronograph. Used Ollech and wajs mirage 3, if you can find one. Maybe you could get a nice cwc used at that price still also, but it doesn't seem likely.
    Last edited by seikopath; 15th July 2017 at 08:32.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Look at Alpha watches
    This is the route I went in order to see if I could live with the 42mm case size.

Case is a bit taller so it all feels slightly chunkier than the real thing.

Borders on being a 'replica' as opposed to homage.

Easy to flip on eBay when needed. Got back more than I paid for mine from an Italian buyer.

Manual wind though.

Last edited by Velorum; 15th July 2017 at 09:27.

If I was you I would forget about auto, look East, get the Russian Moonwatch...

(They are easy to sell onwards and Poljot24 are a decent German vendor)...

https://www.poljot24.de/en/strela/st...ack-latin.html