closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Oslo: what to see and do?

Oslo: what to see and do?

I will be going to Oslo for a few days next month. Obviously I've had a look at what to see and do. Having a keen interest in polar exploration the Fram Ship Museum is a must, as is the Viking Ship Museum. Other things on the list already include a boat trip through the fjord, National Gallery, Vigeland Park.

If anyone has other suggestions for must see/do sights or activities, perhaps things that may not be as obvious as the ones I've thought of, that would be greatly appreciated! Suggestions for restaurants are also very welcome.

Went to Oslo a few years ago (combined with Bergen), and it's a lovely place. Not too large for a capital city, with good public transport, but pretty walkable anyway.

Climbing up the Opera House gives you a good vantage point, as does getting around in the boats. The Fram is definitely worth seeing.

It's actually very nice just wandering around, particularly down by the City Hall/Nobel area.

We were very lucky with the weather - blue skies all the time. Apparently this isn't always the way.

Master
    Booked to go in September so watching with interest.

It's been a while but I seem to remember enjoying the Kontiki Museum, the Viking Ship Museum and the Military Museum.

Take a day trip to the scenic Flåm Line?

The Norway in a nutshell tour (link) includes a boat trip on a fjord. I did it from Bergen, but it's also available from Oslo. It's a flexible ticket in that you can change the order of the segments. We decided to go down the railway, getting off halfway down and walking the rest. That meant we had to wait longer for boat at the bottom, but improved the experience. Just check out your options on the timetable.

Thanks very much for the suggestions, guys. That gives me some more things to look into.

Craftsman
    Make sure you take a train (everyone does) from the airport to Oslo central, and not a cab.
    Visit Vigelands studio/museum on Grimelundsveien. A unique place and often overlooked.
    The Black menu at Alex Sushi. I've eaten at many around the world, and this one of the best.
    Visit the Astrup Fearnley musuem. Some of the best (?) modern art housed in a great looking, custom designed, Renzo Piano building.
    Then wander through Aker Brygge and eat some spanking fresh lobster, oysters etc at a waterfront restaurant.
    Last edited by Hewjardon; 12th July 2017 at 19:27. Reason: grrrrammar

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Take a day trip to the scenic Flåm Line?

The Norway in a nutshell tour (link) includes a boat trip on a fjord. I did it from Bergen, but it's also available from Oslo. It's a flexible ticket in that you can change the order of the segments. We decided to go down the railway, getting off halfway down and walking the rest. That meant we had to wait longer for boat at the bottom, but improved the experience. Just check out your options on the timetable.
    This sounds great, is it easily doable in a day?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunscrossed View Post
    This sounds great, is it easily doable in a day?
    Looking at the schedule that "Plan & book" brings up, it's a very long day doing a one day return from Oslo. I have to admit that it's easier from from Bergen, and that's the trip I've done, although the train back was delayed by a landslip.

The link says "The tour may be completed in one day, but we highly recommend that you take your time by adding overnight stays and activities along the route", and now I see why that is. The website offers some alternatives for a longer trip.

I was lucky in that we had a local to advise us. We bought the ticket locally rather than online and got hold of a complete timetable to plan our trip. It's a good way to get out of town and see some of the country. The local's advice was that "Once you have seen one fjord, you've seen them all". I have no idea if that's true, but Nærøyfjord is meant to be a good one.

Sorry if I raised some expectations that cannot be realised.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    Looking at the schedule that "Plan & book" brings up, it's a very long day doing a one day return from Oslo. I have to admit that it's easier from from Bergen, and that's the trip I've done, although the train back was delayed by a landslip.

The link says "The tour may be completed in one day, but we highly recommend that you take your time by adding overnight stays and activities along the route", and now I see why that is. The website offers some alternatives for a longer trip.

I was lucky in that we had a local to advise us. We bought the ticket locally rather than online and got hold of a complete timetable to plan our trip. It's a good way to get out of town and see some of the country. The local's advice was that "Once you have seen one fjord, you've seen them all". I have no idea if that's true, but Nærøyfjord is meant to be a good one.

Sorry if I raised some expectations that cannot be realised.
    Thanks, I've already booked my hotel although I could probably change a night or so, it does look like a lot to do in a day from Oslo.

Master
    A trip to the Holmenkollen Ski Museum is worthwhile. Even if you aren't interested in skiing there's an observation deck with good views over the city.

Top-grade coffee at Tim Wendelboe and Supreme Roastworks, both of which have owner-operators with world-championship credentials. The Grünerløkka neighbourhood in which they're located is more fun than the less-inspiring central downtown area, and you'll find plenty of good places to eat and drink there as well. Trams are generally the best way to get around.

Master
    Got back last week.

Took the train from the airport (regular train is half price of the express and not a lot slower @£9 each way) no problem.

Walked around mostly, again no problems.

Visited the Kontiki and Viking ship museums, both excellent! Took the ferry there, @£6.50 return and was a nice way to travel as you pass by Aker Brygge etc.

Ate and drank in Aker Brygge, very cool surroundings an lovely views.

Walked up the Opera house, visited a couple of micro brewery's and took a mini cruise of the fjord on an old sailing boat (@£30).

A really nice city, yes a little expensive for food an drink but offset by cheap flights etc.

Highly recommended.

Grand Master
    I spent a day there in August (Baltic Cruise) and thoroughly enjoyed it. V. fortunate with the weather too, warm and sunny.

Well worth a visit IMO.

Paul

Master
    Went there for work last year and stayed at the Raddisson near the train/bus station.
    Maybe it was the area but going out at night, I felt distinctly aware that I was "under surveillance" by the rather large (Somalian, I think) immigrant community. Perhaps I was being a bit over cautious but coming from Glasgow and kind of having a sixth sense for trouble, I really felt nervous.

Craftsman
    Take plenty of money, Oslo is by far the most expensive place I have ever been.
    2.5 x the cost of the south west of England.