closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Railmaster 2504.52 (36mm) alternatives Rolex explorer 1016

Apprentice

Omega Railmaster 2504.52 (36mm) alternatives Rolex explorer 1016

What are peoples thoughts on the Omega Railmaster 2504.52 (36mm)

I'm looking at making my first proper watch purchase (>£500+ ) to wear for business attire and also casual

My train of thought was the original 1016, however at £5/6k, im not prepared to pay that right this point in time, I dislike the newer explorers due to the silver edging on the dial details

The railmaster only in the 36mm appeals to me as a vintage/history inspired watch despite its relative newness, also the fact its rare albeit due to production quantities/people holding onto them.

Just keen to hear some thoughts on the watch or alternatives?

Master
    Blog Entries
    I really like the Railmaster and if you don't like the silver accents on the newer Explorer, it seems like a good choice. It's a decent enough size too.

From the early 80's to 2003 I wore a 34mm Airking and it never felt small. If you don't mind not having numbers on the dial, an Air King might be another choice - mine had a dark grey sunburst dial a bit like this one (no affiliation with the seller!) https://amsterdamvintagewatches.com/...irking-5500-2/ - I haven't looked beyond this link but I would hope a tidy Air King could be had for less than this money. I wouldn't let the 34mm put you off - it never seemed appreciably smaller than a 36mm Datejust I inherited. A nice Air King is smart and understated - but also a tough, reliable Rolex

ATB

Jon

Master
    It's a nice design, which a lot of people like, but they didn't make very many in that size. This makes them not super easy to find for sale, and when they are they sell quickly for more than I'd want to pay.

One recently showed up in the USA for $3,500. Watch only. Not super great condition. More than I would pay for that particular watch. It's a shame you don't like the five digit explorer 1. I think it's a much better alternative for around $1,000 more.

Grand Master
    The Railmaster's a strange one; I don`t think they were good sellers when current but once discontinued demand for second-hand examples has grown! The late 90s Dynamic did the same.

The 36.2mm version is, in my opinion, the nicest. It's a watch I`d like to own but given the rarity and the prices I can`t justify it. Back in 2008/2009 I had the choice between a 36mm Railmaster in near-mint condition for £1100 or a 2003 114270 Explorer (freshly Rolex serviced, B & P) for £1800. Both prices were open to negotiation and I decided on the Rolex at £1750. In hindsight I should've bought both and emptied the piggy bank!

However, I think I made the right choice between the two! Much as I like the Railmaster the Rolex is the nicer watch. On that basis, rather than pay a strong price for a 36mm Railmaster I`d go the extra mile and buy a nice Explorer.

I`ve owned a couple of 36mm Aqua Terras, and much as I liked them they have their failings. The bracelets aren't brilliant, and I`m not a fan of the co-axial movements. It's not that I don`t like them, but at the money they're now fetching I`d spend a bit more and buy something beginning with R.

Hope this makes some sense. As an alternative to the OP's proposed choices, how about a current model 116000 with blue Explorer-style dial? Not much change from £4K if bought new, but a nice understated classy watch. Second-hand examples don`t crop up often and they'll cost over £3K, but I`d rather put my money there than pay over £2K for a 36mm Railmaster.

Another minor but significant point against the Railmaster: the dial's actually a dark grey rather than black, you need to see one in the flesh to appreciate the difference. you may like it, or you may prefer a proper black dial...........I prefer a proper black and that's another reason I went for the Rolex.

Having said that, I`d like another Aqua Terra/Railmaster 36mm in my collection......just don`t like the prices they're (supposedly) fetching thesedays. The grey teak-dialled 38.5 mm latest version of the Aqua Terra can be found for similar prices and in many ways that's a better buy, I owned one for a while but always found it a bit tall and clumsy compared to the earlier model.

Try a few and make your mind up, strongly advise handling any of these watches before committing to buy. Sometimes they look a whole lot different when you try 'em on.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 11th July 2017 at 15:31.

I've had both and it's a tricky one as they are both almost perfect watches. Both have exclusivity in different ways; one due it's low production run, the other the brand. Both wear extremely well and would rarely look out of place anywhere, although perhaps the word Explorer may make one think it's tougher. Is one better than the other? Possibly not. If I could only have one then it would, on the slightest of balances, be the Railmaster.

I have the 36, and would also like the 2016 Explorer. "I'm not being much help am I Dad?".

Quote Originally Posted by dng992 View Post

I'm looking at making my first proper watch purchase (>£500+ ) to wear for business attire and also casual

My train of thought was the original 1016, however at £5/6k, im not prepared to pay that right this point in time, I dislike the newer explorers due to the silver edging on the dial details

The railmaster only in the 36mm appeals to me as a vintage/history inspired watch despite its relative newness, also the fact its rare albeit due to production quantities/people holding onto them.

I see what you did there

Craftsman

Had one, sold it, regret it almost every day.

Perfect do it all watch; better on bracelet than strap, but still works well as a dressier watch on croc leather. Worn it with white tie, worn it scuba diving, you put it on and it just suits the occasion.

Alternatives? Tudor BB36 or an old 1016 Explorer. I like it much more than the newer Explorers, but that's a matter of taste.

Faults? Bracelet takes a bit of practice to get right, and no microadjust, but the half links are small and work well. Once you get the hang of it, it's fine. The dial is really dark grey, not black. The crystal can get a bit smudgy. That's all I can think of.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater View Post
    Had one, sold it, regret it almost every day.

Perfect do it all watch; better on bracelet than strap, but still works well as a dressier watch on croc leather. Worn it with white tie, worn it scuba diving, you put it on and it just suits the occasion.

Alternatives? Tudor BB36 or an old 1016 Explorer. I like it much more than the newer Explorers, but that's a matter of taste.

Faults? Bracelet takes a bit of practice to get right, and no microadjust, but the half links are small and work well. Once you get the hang of it, it's fine. The dial is really dark grey, not black. The crystal can get a bit smudgy. That's all I can think of.
    Appreciate all the responses in the thread!

I concur that the newer explorers don't do it for me.

Although I have read not to 'buy into' a watch based on resale, either explorer or the 36mm railmaster mentioned should do relatively well I assume, the latter it seems as people have mentioned the price seems to have risen more then the actual deemed value of the watch, hopefully only continuing to. Ultimately I would want whatever watch I buy to hold decent value, so that has given me comfort!

I definitely prefer the bracelet strap so thats also good to hear.

The only remaining question I have is, for a newbie spending some decent money on a watch, how would one assess the authenticity of the railmaster? Likewise would be pretty hard wearing either or seeing it in person? Are omega shops able to do an independent check? or alternatively I assume visiting an independent watchshop. In either case transaction with paypal and the like seems to mitigate a lot of the risk in that, if you discovered it fake on receipt, with solid proof confirming this, paypal would must likely guarantee your money under their terms (I've sold a few <1k £ items so I assume it still holds for higher end goods)

Thanks all!

If you put up a WTB on this forum you'll get responses, and you can of course check out feedback in H&V. Ask for cards and proof of service history and if in any doubt, call the manufacturer with the serial number.

You'll also get a feel for owners through your interaction with them on the threads, which should give you peace of mind. Best thing about this forum is the amount you can learn and contribute in turn.

Craftsman
    It is worth mentioning that the larger sized Railmaster is still worth a look. With it being quite small and simple in 36mm I opted for the larger 41mm for better wrist presence without being too much. The bright side is that they're cheaper but still hard to find (at all, let alone a good price).

Fortunate enough also to have both the deployant and the bracelet so can switch it up when needed.

M.

Sent from my SM-G925F using TZ-UK mobile app

I was looking at a similar range of watches, originally the 36mm Railmaster, Air King and BB36.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?385086-The-one

Long story short, after I could not find a Railmaster 36mm, decided I needed a date function and ended up with a Rolex 15200. The BB36 had promise but felt a little clunky against the Railmaster or Air-King.

I did really like the Air-King with the later White Dial/Explorer Numerals but thought it was a little too sporty to cover 'all occasions' that my 15200 does IMO.

And my 15200 (the Watchfinder shot of my actual watch):

Master
    ...the latter it seems as people have mentioned the price seems to have risen more then the actual deemed value of the watch, hopefully only continuing to.
    That's not the least bit a safe assumption. Not many people would choose the rail master over an Explorer 1 at the same price. There's a natural ceiling for this model. Has it hit it yet? Who knows. I wouldn't expect any watch bought now to follow the current trajectory of value increases. Prices are crazy right now and I think it won't last forever.

People buying in this market should buy watches they're OK losing money on if it comes to that. Just my opinion.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    That's not the least bit a safe assumption. Not many people would choose the rail master over an Explorer 1 at the same price. There's a natural ceiling for this model. Has it hit it yet? Who knows. I wouldn't expect any watch bought now to follow the current trajectory of value increases. Prices are crazy right now and I think it won't last forever.

People buying in this market should buy watches they're OK losing money on if it comes to that. Just my opinion.
    Agree, much as I like the Railmaster I think the Explorer is a safer bet financially. Rightly or wrongly the kudos of the Rolex brand always prevails.

Having said that, I always advise buying what you prefer rather than following the herd.

Paul

Just to throw in a left field option, I went through a similar decision making process and went with a perfectly sized 37mm GS that I love. In real life I thought the finishing better, very comfortable and accurate.

Just to throw in a left field option, I went through a similar decision making process and went with a perfectly sized 37mm GS that I love. In real life I thought the finishing better, very comfortable and accurate. 8 years later (these are recent photos) I still love it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Agree, much as I like the Railmaster I think the Explorer is a safer bet financially. Rightly or wrongly the kudos of the Rolex brand always prevails.

Having said that, I always advise buying what you prefer rather than following the herd.

Paul
    I'd much rather have to service a Rolex 3XXX movement than some coaxial modified ETA 10 years in the future. For that reason alone I'd go with the Explorer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mindforge View Post
    Just to throw in a left field option, I went through a similar decision making process and went with a perfectly sized 37mm GS that I love. In real life I thought the finishing better, very comfortable and accurate. 8 years later (these are recent photos) I still love it.

Do you have a photo showing the thickness? These have something of an (online) rep for being chunky relative to their diameter.

Is the 14270 36mm Explorer not up for consideration ?
    Prices aren't stratospheric and it's a nice watch.

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    I'd much rather have to service a Rolex 3XXX movement than some coaxial modified ETA 10 years in the future. For that reason alone I'd go with the Explorer.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have a photo showing the thickness? These have something of an (online) rep for being chunky relative to their diameter.
    Apologies, I completely missed your question. Here's a photo, it's not slim line but always fits under a shirt cuff without problem and is worth it for the 72 hour power reserve. Also the case profile is designed in such a way that it's not slab slided unlike the Black Bay for example.

Craftsman
    Rolex oysterquartz? if you don't mind the quartz movement they are very versatile with a nice design.