closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Calling any Painters: Advice needed

Calling any Painters: Advice needed

Right, I'm currently at the tail end of a self build which has been ongoing for 3.5 years and can see light at the end of the tunnel!!

We have a professional painter booked to come to prep/paint our interior, simply because the finish would be far superior to what we could do ourselves.

Mrs Ticker is looking for a wipeable matt finish in brilliant white, right through. So far we have discovered Dulux Diamond Matt which is ahem, rather pricey to say the least.

What alternatives should I consider?

Would it be an option to use Dulux Super Matt for mist coat and second coat, then diamond Matt to finish?

We were recommended that, but to go to a trade place where they make it up, it's better than the retail premade up tins apparently, very happy with the finish too.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by Ticker View Post
    Right, I'm currently at the tail end of a self build which has been ongoing for 3.5 years and can see light at the end of the tunnel!!

We have a professional painter booked to come to prep/paint our interior, simply because the finish would be far superior to what we could do ourselves.

Mrs Ticker is looking for a wipeable matt finish in brilliant white, right through. So far we have discovered Dulux Diamond Matt which is ahem, rather pricey to say the least.

Would it be an option to use Dulux Super Matt for mist coat and second coat, then diamond Matt to finish?
    johnsons do something similar - see if you have a trade centre local. Good paint and a bit cheaper.

However if its a new build buy or rent a sprayer and do it yourself. You get a very nice finish.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Blog Entries
    I used Dulux Diamond Matt Light & Space in my living room. There was a 25 or 30% discount offer when I bought it, £75 for 5lt. Turned out one tin wasn't enough so I got 5lt of the same colour in standard matt for a base then used the diamond stuff. It is lovely thick paint, really really really thick and coverage is good. We have kids so the ability to (gently) scrub the walls is worth a bit extra IMHO.

Blog Entries
    Already mentioned but go to a trade centre, I've been using Armstead for a couple of years now and it's fine. It's owned by Dulux ( sort of) and their Durable Matt is very good. If the house is empty there's no reason not to use an airless spray, get a couple of coats of Leytex on then top coat it with the matt. A decent size house can be sprayed out in 2-3 days giving an excellent finish.

Master
    Blog Entries
    The Armsted Durable Matt is the old Dulux Diamond Matt formula and is very good, I use it now for most of the schools we decorate. You should be able to buy it from a Dulux Decorator Centre for circa £20 for a 5ltr plus VAT. You have branches in Turo and Penzance

You could also try Crown Extreme Clean the same type of product as the Diamond Matt a fair bit cheaper as well
    Last edited by hilly10; 9th July 2017 at 22:31.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    I used Dulux Diamond Matt Light & Space in my living room. There was a 25 or 30% discount offer when I bought it, £75 for 5lt. IMHO.

Bloody hell they cane the public, I pay half that for light and space

Diamond Matt all the way. It's bingo !

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've just had a couple of rooms done with Valspar (I think). About £23 for 5Lts and apparently scrubbable. Decorator said it as ok so we'll see.

I've just bought a few tins of Dulux Easy Care - the one on the television with the dirty dog and wipable walls. Not cheap, but good stuff. Currently doing the living room and we have a Newfoundland who likes to deposit slobber on the walls, so it was an obvious choice.

My Dad was a painter decorator and basically used eggshell in any room were you needed to wipe the walls from time to time, bathrooms, kitchens etc.

Banned

Would it be an option to use Dulux Super Matt for mist coat and second coat, then diamond Matt to finish?[/QUOTE]

Yes this is the right way to go, if new plaster you must mist first (super Matt)
    Dulux "easy care" is the retail version of diamond Matt.

Check out the paint shed, have used them lots of times with no issues.

http://www.thepaintshed.com/products...-24/c-82/p-226

5 litres pure brilliant white £31.45

I was always in the white/magnolia camp but grey can look stunning.

http://www.homedit.com/how-to-use-gr...und-the-house/

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    I was always in the white/magnolia camp but grey can look stunning.

http://www.homedit.com/how-to-use-gr...und-the-house/

Eddie
    We've gone for a fair bit of grey in ours. Should look good when it's done.

Painting our house this and next week. Going to go with that armstead durable matt, as we have kids. Mrs wants light grey throughout with a darker grey on the fireplace wall. Any recommendations for greys that aren't too bluey or browny tinged?

Cheers

Brighty

Master
    BQ have 10l tubs of Deluxe Endurance (Diamond Hard) at £40 each. Just bought three and already used one.

It's only matt white though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    BQ have 10l tubs of Deluxe Endurance (Diamond Hard) at £40 each. Just bought three and already used one.

It's only matt white though
    I'd heard that Endurance was a cheaper option to Diamond, certainly my paint shop has both & very different consistency from our use of Endurance, albeit of different colours.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I'd heard that Endurance was a cheaper option to Diamond, certainly my paint shop has both & very different consistency from our use of Endurance, albeit of different colours.
    It states 20x harder on the tin, same as Diamond. May be slightly different but it's a very thick consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Painting our house this and next week. Going to go with that armstead durable matt, as we have kids. Mrs wants light grey throughout with a darker grey on the fireplace wall. Any recommendations for greys that aren't too bluey or browny tinged?

Cheers

Brighty
    Ive just done our bedroom with Johnstones 'Manhatten Grey', and 'Moonlight Grey'... very pleased with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    It states 20x harder on the tin, same as Diamond. May be slightly different but it's a very thick consistency.
    From my limited research, diamond and endurance are the same thing, diamond for trade, endurance for joe public. Apparantly endurance has something added to make it a bit thicker, less drips for novice diy-ers. Endurance has now been discontinued and has been rebranded easycare, but basically the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Ive just done our bedroom with Johnstones 'Manhatten Grey', and 'Moonlight Grey'... very pleased with the results.
    Cheers Rod, however tester pots were bought today and i have been informed we're having dulux 'goose down' and 'urban obsession'

Can the painter supply the paint any cheaper, or does he want you to buy it?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    From my limited research, diamond and endurance are the same thing, diamond for trade, endurance for joe public. Apparantly endurance has something added to make it a bit thicker, less drips for novice diy-ers. Endurance has now been discontinued and has been rebranded easycare, but basically the same.
    This make sense, it was very thick. At the price it was excellent value though.

I did a wall in out front room with 'urban obsession' recently. Was a bit concerned it would look like a corridor on the Death Star but it looked great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I painted the Hall and stairs today with Dulux Endurance and thought I'd share a few observations.

It is incredibly thick and drys very quickly (I guess this is geared towards the DIYer). This meant that when it was on the wall I had very little time to work with it and smooth it out. The thickness and quick dry time didn't lend itself to a smooth finish.

However, I have only completed one coat and it almost seems to be enough. This is due to the thickness and I would imagine not the opacity, which is greater in Trade.

All in all quite happy, really easy to use and unless you're very close to the wall it's impossible to notice the rougher texture.

I'm going to try Diamond Hard Trade next, my only concern is it'll be dripping everywhere and a pain in the ass to put on.

Craftsman
    Get a wipe able Matt and I rate duluc trade after the father in law taught me how to paint . We have a trade account anyway . I made the mistake of one of his lads a few years ago sung a standard Matt pant not the house after the extension went up and the young in walked down the stairs and could we buggerry get the nhand marks off ... He was frog marched back to repaint it n a more suitable finish
    Fwiw I'd look at spraying it

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    48 to go.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Dulux Endurance is great stuff. We have it in most rooms. Had a big scuff on the wall from putting something in the loft which was a tar like substance. The paint took loads of hard scrubbing before it came off a little. Normal day to day marks come off easy.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Ive heard that it wont be long before the Crown light and space stuff will be on the shelf