closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sports cars that sound amazing but don't cost the earth?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paule23 View Post
    I don't know about the Works 210 upgrade, but I had a basic Mini Cooper S and loved the growl that engine made when you upped the revs. The one thing I miss about having an electric car, one extreme to the other!.
    Mini Cooper S Growl ? Have you heard a V8?

Don't think it's been mentioned yet, but a v8 m3 would fit the bill. Pre LCI ones can be had for under 20k. Amazing engine and handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    There are so many other great noises a car can make than what comes out of the exhaust, the roar of the intake, turbos spooling up, wastegates chattering, dump valves hissing, superchargers whining, gearboxes humming. Yes a V-something blarting out at full chat and snapping and popping on overrun is great but the other sounds a car can make can be just as visceral...

This post was inspired by my uncle visiting over the weekend with my old Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo and letting me go for a quick spin in it for old times sake. A world away from my Lexus and not something I could live with any more for practical reasons but a timely reminder that exhaust noise isn't the be all and end all of what makes a car sound exciting.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by julian2002 View Post
    There are so many other great noises a car can make than what comes out of the exhaust, the roar of the intake, turbos spooling up, wastegates chattering, dump valves hissing, superchargers whining, gearboxes humming. Yes a V-something blarting out at full chat and snapping and popping on overrun is great but the other sounds a car can make can be just as visceral...

This post was inspired by my uncle visiting over the weekend with my old Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo and letting me go for a quick spin in it for old times sake. A world away from my Lexus and not something I could live with any more for practical reasons but a timely reminder that exhaust noise isn't the be all and end all of what makes a car sound exciting.
    Screamer pipe and compressor surge are my favourite turbo sounds.

Money don't matter 2 night

It's hard to beat at V8 but I've a Honda Fireblade engined Caterham that revs to 11,500. That sounds quite manic when being pushed.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum View Post
    I don't think anyone's said Nissan 350Z. I had one with a NISMO exhaust and it sounded great. The last couple of years of production (with the bonnet hump) have an even nicer V6.

For some reason 370s apparently don't sound as good but I also believe that's out of the box and with a bit of exhaust fettling can be pretty nice.
    I have an Invidia Gemini cat-back on my 350z, not particularly loud however it's a lovely sound and miles ahead of OE.

Quote Originally Posted by dan d View Post
    It's hard to beat at V8 but I've a Honda Fireblade engined Caterham that revs to 11,500. That sounds quite manic when being pushed.
    I always wanted one of those. Does it spit flame on the over-run?

Journeyman
    Griffith

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I must be getting old... for £20k I'd get a Lexus LS460 with the Mark Levinson Hi-Fi (and have £10k change for an MX-5 and s/s exhaust).

Easily the best sound system I've ever heard in a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point View Post
    I always wanted one of those. Does it spit flame on the over-run?
    Nope - maybe I should richen it up a little. But the experience is pretty manic anyway with no screen or doors.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seaoyster View Post
    Griffith

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yup. Early pre-cat if possible for the full unconstrained aural delights. I will get myself into another V8 TVR one day!

Master
    I had an all-steel Ford/Cosworth BDA engine in my Lotus 7 which sounded quite good at max revs ( about 8 - 9k).

IIRC the earliest HPC Caterhams came with a similar engine (Ford/Cosworth BDR I think) before they put in the Vauxhall 2 litre lump.

If one of those early ones can be had for budget I suspect it would make a nice enough noise ( and, per an earlier post, will never lose a £ on depreciation )

I presently have a road legal Radical SR3 which really howls at over 10000 rpm. Can be had well within budget but it's more a race car with number plates than a road car so may not suit

How do you find the Radical on the road? I had a pax ride in one at Combe and the way it goes round corners is crazy. I can't image how you use all that ability on the way to Tesco.

Master
    New (to us ) and it's on track set-up at the moment i.e. slicks and low ride-height. Accordingly we have not really exploited its roadgoing status..... yet
    Last edited by stiglet; 21st July 2017 at 22:07.

Just bought my girlfriend one of these and its sounds very cool

https://flic.kr/p/Xo1nrN

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pstruck View Post
    Yup. Early pre-cat if possible for the full unconstrained aural delights. I will get myself into another V8 TVR one day!
    My Chimaera is fully de-catted with sleeved exhaust, sounds epic, not so great for the neighbours if I leave early.

Master
    My 997 is getting these fitted soon. Bypass hack, in effect make them sound exactly like the PSE but without the ability to switch it off. Should make for a little more aural entertainment:

Last edited by Padders; 12th August 2017 at 12:55.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    My Chimaera is fully de-catted with sleeved exhaust, sounds epic, not so great for the neighbours if I leave early.
    Ha ha, yes, poor neighbours. I used to push my V8S out of the garage to the end of the drive, then get in start and drive off straight away with minimum fuss on early starts. Over exuberance on the loud peddle would actually set off car alarms as I drove through the narrow streets in town. 😄

Craftsman
    I'd agree with a lot that has been said but equally so, wouldn't fancy buying some of them second hand with a budget of only £20k.

I bought a new Abarth 595 Competizione a number of years ago and the Monza exhaust sounded great. The driving position was shocking though and I very quickly grew tired of it and the car had to go. A low mileage M135i (Abarth replacement) and Golf R (current car in estate guide) could probably be had for similar money now and are very impressive in terms of performance. At full pelt, they do sound good but the sound actuators in both cars make things sound a lot more exciting than in reality.

I'm currently looking at the Cooper S with JCW Bluetooth exhaust which sounds fantastic!

The OP is thinking about this the wrong way round. Buy the car you like (no 4 bangers obs) and then get the intake and exhaust to suit.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    There anit a lot better the Vauxhall V8 Monrao my mates sounds like thunder
    Great V8 sound.
    Not sure how many were delivered to the UK.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Mini Cooper S Growl ? Have you heard a V8?
    Audi B6 S4 4.2 V8 with a Milltek Exhaust - i sold mine 6 months ago (avant) it was epic for the money.
    Pick up a nice one for 6 -7k