closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BMW 330d Xdrive M Sport vs 340i M Sport Touring

Master

BMW 330d Xdrive M Sport vs 340i M Sport Touring

Just about to take out a short 3 month contract hire and have the option of either of the above.
    Has anybody got any real world experience of the fuel consumption of the 340i petrol,I popped into the BMW dealers today and a salesman said the range on a tankfull is only about 200 miles compared with the 550 miles I get with my A5 3.0 tdi.
    I was going to go for the petrol for the smile value but at that rate if it's true my monthly fuel bill will increase from about £130 to about £350 !

Master
    If it's only for 3 months get the 340i, might never get the chance again!

Depends on your journeys surely, town driving maybe not but if it's motorway miles you'll get more but never the same as your A5.

As said above, if it's only for 3 months I'd have the 340i without even thinking about it.

Master
    I have had a 330d and it was plenty, grins abound, 40 plus just has you pissing your self every time you give it the beans, 53 mpg on a run leeds to gatwick is great ,used less fuel then my current 520d

Master
    Don't forget the 335d xdrive. Another 50 or so bhp but still decent mpg.

For 3 months? Get the 340i and live a little!

Master
    Thanks for all the feedback.
    Unfortunately I just missed out on a 335d Xdrive M Sport by a day whilst waiting for the credit check to come back and not much chance of them getting another for 6 months so straight choice between the 330d or 340i unfortunately just a choice of colour on both,grey or white.
    I've just been on a Beemer forum and some are saying about 25% worse on fuel consumption as long as you don't rag it all the time so perhaps not as bad as I was told this morning.
    Thoughts at the moment,have the petrol for 3 months and then swap to the diesel for the winter if I like the car.

May I ask where you getting 3 month contract hire deals from? Could be a great way to test out a car or to have some variety

Master
    Live a bit !!!!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mikiejack View Post
    May I ask where you getting 3 month contract hire deals from? Could be a great way to test out a car or to have some variety
    It's a company in Sheffield near to Meadowhall,bit of a strange concept as you don't get to see your vehicle at all before you pick it up,minimum 3 month contract and a new car every 6 months if you extend ,prices are very competitive.
    I think they get slow moving stock from main dealers,the ones I'm looking at have just been superceded by July models.
    Lots of Audi Q7's if that's something you're interested in.

http://www.evogo.co.uk
    Last edited by SeePee; 8th July 2017 at 22:44.

Master
    oddly, i just posted on another thread about a previous BMW i had, an M135i.

I now have a 340i Saloon (two kids and all that).

I get ~29MPG. My most common journey is to work and back, approx 25 miles each way, a mixture of country roads and motorway.

As for the car, it is an auto. It is very smooth to drive, sounds good, and very fast. I really have no complaints about it...

Master
    I drive a lot of modern BMWs in my work and I've driven both of those in question.

The 340i is a great drive but it needs plenty of revs to make it work which can make it harder work. The 330D has more than enough performance and importantly has masses of mid-range torque for overtaking which means it is "push and go" whereas the 340i tends to take a breath whilst the box changes down and the turbo ramps up.
    I would also go for the 2 wheel drive version - you aren't going to need the extra traction this side of February and you can do without the extra weight and drag of the X Drive system.

Master
    I think I'm leaning towards the 340i,unfortunately a 2 wheel drive 330d isn't an option at the moment and my current Audi contract expires at the end of July.
    At least if it is too thirsty it's only for 3 months.

Master
    4wd BMW saloons/estates don't make an awful lot of sense IMO. Get a 2wd one and if you run it over the winter spend the money you saved on a set of winter wheels/tyres. 4wd will get you going but it won't stop you, winter tyres will.

Baeed on the choice above 340i all the way. Petrol is currently cheap so take advantage of the fact. The 6 cylinder BMW diesels are very good but still sound like diesels.

Master
    Get the 340i. I had a quattro B8 A5 and RWD F30 330d before, currently got a B9 S5, and you won't like the standard suspension on the xDrive BMW as it's the same as the SE 3 series. It pitches and heaves under hard acceleration/braking and rolls in the corners unless it's got the adaptive suspension option box ticked and even then it still has a higher ride height than the equivalent car with RWD.

Master
    Thanks for all the advice,still not fully decided yet,will call them tomorrow and see if I can get any more info on spec's but don't think any of them have active suspension option.

Interesting concept, what do you do about insurance as you'll have to update mid way through the policy so don't you get hammered each time you change mid way?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
    Interesting concept, what do you do about insurance as you'll have to update mid way through the policy so don't you get hammered each time you change mid way?
    I was worried about that too,my Audi A5 3.0 tdi Sportback is on an Audi policy paid monthly so thought I would have to go for another Audi but all they had in my price range for immediate delivery was a Q5 2.0 L so I rang the insurers and they said it was OK to change to a BMW and just asked for the registration numbers of the cars to quote me,interestingly the compulsory excess went up £100 to £350 but the premium was £114 less on the 340i and no admin charge to change.

Craftsman
    These must cost a fortune for short term rental. Love to know what you're paying.

Master
    Much cheaper than my Audi,330d Xdrive is £500,340i is £600 which includes VAT,servicing and tyres,all you pay is insurance and fuel.
    It's a great way to check out a car before you commit.
    Downside for those they have in stock is you can't have a look before you get it which is a bit weird.

Just edited the prices again,the £600 was for the 335d Xdrive.
    Last edited by SeePee; 10th July 2017 at 13:21.

That's a competitive price if you compare it against 9+23 lease deals for a 340. An absolute steal if the deposit is sensible, without having to commit to a few years.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mikiejack View Post
    That's a competitive price if you compare it against 9+23 lease deals for a 340. An absolute steal if the deposit is sensible, without having to commit to a few years.
    so is the profile 2 + 2 payments for 3 months hire, so in total £2400 for 3 months hire on the 330d?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by SeePee View Post
    Much cheaper than my Audi,330d Xdrive is £600,340i is £650 which includes VAT,servicing and tyres,all you pay is insurance and fuel.
    It's a great way to check out a car before you commit.
    Downside for those they have in stock is you can't have a look before you get it which is a bit weird.

Cracking deal. Would have thought a 36 month deal would be about the same rates.

The 330D is a great combination of power and economy but I'd go for the petrol straight 6 while it's still available.
    Last edited by David_D; 10th July 2017 at 10:39.

Master
    It looks as if you may be correct and I had presumed it was just 3 payments.
    I thought the non-refundable deposit was only applicable if you ordered 1 to your own spec rather than 1 already in stock.

Having said that even if it is 1+3 then for the 330d Xdrive which is actually £605 now I've checked it works out at £2420 for the 1st 3 months which is still slightly less than the £2542.29 I would have paid to extend the Audi A5 contract for 3 months.
    Hopefully the 2nd three months if I do extend will only be £1815 total.
    Last edited by SeePee; 10th July 2017 at 10:31.

Master
    Just ordered the car,head won over heart unfortunately,when I talked to them this morning I had been looking at the wrong car on the price list and I decided to go for the 330d Xdrive M Sport which wasn't on the price list and it's only £500 /month but as Mikie and Forest pointed out its really a 1+ 3 at £500 /month so the 1st three months actually works out at £2000 but if I like it and keep it for another 3 months it's then down to £1500.
    Last edited by SeePee; 10th July 2017 at 13:41.

Master
    Do they have a stocklist to view, do they have any range rovers?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFastybloke View Post
    Do they have a stocklist to view, do they have any range rovers?
    Unfortunately no Range Rovers other than 1 Evoque in stock but interestingly my brother in law came yesterday and his mate who owns a car repair garage has just recently taken delivery of a Full Fat from them and it was so unreliable with so many faults he took it back and they cancelled his contract without any problems.
    You can call them and order exactly what you want spec wise,I just needed something urgently as mine was going back in 3 weeks.
    To give you some idea as an example,a Vogue on 15K miles is £1425 and a Vogue SE on 15K miles is £1500 which is total price including servicing,tyres,rfl and VAT.

Craftsman
    Just ordered the car,head won over heart unfortunately,when I talked to them this morning I had been looking at the wrong car on the price list and I decided to go for the 330d Xdrive M Sport which wasn't on the price list and it's only £500 /month but as Mikie and Forest pointed out its really a 1+ 3 at £500 /month so the 1st three months actually works out at £2000 but if I like it and keep it for another 3 months it's then down to £1500.
    so for 3 months it`s 4 payments? How many miles over the quarter all allowed?

very good when you consider I`ve got £50k sat in RRS and borrowed a further 20k over 3 years. But I only pay £800 interest over the term on the bank loan. But the cars losing about a grand a month

got me thinking
    Last edited by forest172; 10th July 2017 at 16:38.

Master
    The mileage allowances are banded and priced accordingly mine is set at 15K miles/annum and I'm presuming divided pro-rata so about 4K/3 months.
    RRS HSE Dynamic on 15K miles is £1250/month incl servicing,tyres,rfl,breakdown cover and VAT so about what you are losing in depreciation and servicing and tyres I guess.

Off topic

Apologies for being so off topic, but I got quite excited when I saw 340 in the thread title.

Of course, I soon realised that it was not referring to the sort of 340s that I used to drive...

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    For 3 months? Get the 340i and live a little!
    This - Unless you're doing London - Istanbul on your own expense on a weekly basis!

I've never owned a diesel, but when I drove my dad's I didn't get anywhere near the MPG he did, it was better than petrol, but not dramatically so.

I guess if you want diesel, MPG is really important to you - It's not THAT important to me.

M.

Master
    I went for the 330d finally on the basis that it was £100 /month less than I had thought which almost covers my current monthly fuel bill and given that hopefully I'll keep it for 6 months which takes me into December and January so potential snow conditions and given the performance in actual useable terms is quite close and in wet winter conditions probably better for somebody (me) not used to a high performance RWD.
    Secondly if I like it,and funds permitting,I can upgrade to a 335d X Drive when the 6 months is up.

Master
    In daily life i dont think you will be disapointed, its a very useable tool.

I do have a genuine load protector if you feel the need.

I used to have the 330 XDrive and currently have the 340i - both estates, M Sport spec, new cars. The 330D is fun and quick (and I think handles better than the two wheel drive) but the sound of the 340 beats is hands down. The petrol also revs a lot better, obviously.

If mileage isn't a problem then definitely go petrol!

Master
    How do the 2 compare in terms of fuel consumption Dave ?

How do the 2 compare in terms of fuel consumption Dave ?
    I'm not sure to be honest - I don't really keep track. I get free fuel so mpg isn't high on my list of requirements. I dont seem to fill up any more than I used to though.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by davechester View Post
    I used to have the 330 XDrive and currently have the 340i - both estates, M Sport spec, new cars. The 330D is fun and quick (and I think handles better than the two wheel drive) but the sound of the 340 beats is hands down. The petrol also revs a lot better, obviously.

If mileage isn't a problem then definitely go petrol!
    Modern petrols can be surprisingly frugal and are generally cheaper with servicing costs. Also the winter fuel economy seems to be hit diesels harder than petrol. I'd be very tempted by the petrol, but that's me though and accept many still like the low down torque of diesels - although turbo charged petrols aren't bad either

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleem View Post
    I'd be very tempted by the petrol, but that's me though and accept many still like the low down torque of diesels - although turbo charged petrols aren't bad either
    Not sure how they do it but you get maximum torque on the 340i at about 1500 rpm. Crazy engine!

I'm looking at the 2.0d M Sport Touring from them. >130g/k C02 means it is 100% tax deductable for me as a sole traider plus my business use is at least 90% so seems like a no brainer. I understand they take the equivilant of one month lease cost as a fee but I'm struggling to see why I shouldn't do this? Any catch?

EDIT: The catch may be insurance. My current provider (eSure) won't insure me on a lease with a term of less than 12 months.

EDIT: Got sensible quote from Confused.com. Picking up X1 18d Sport on Tuesday. In that until a 320d M Sport Touring turns up hopefully by October.
    Last edited by beechcustom; 22nd July 2017 at 10:09.