closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch rotation - do you have a system?

Watch rotation - do you have a system?

How does it work best for 6 you? I've been lucky enough to expand my collection recently from my first expensive watch to now having what I would class (within my means) as having 5 expensive watches. Plus a few others I like.

My problem is as a new watch came in it become the only one I wore. Yet I still love all the others. How do I get a working system so they all get the wrist time they deserve?

I really want to hear what works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch rotation - do you have a system

No, whatever I fancy at the time.

I used to have four or five watches which took it in turns to be my main watch for the week, with the other watches in my collection getting a day here or a day there. This was working well for quite a while....

....but then one day I was suddenly gripped by the desire to be wearing one particular watch most the time, and I sold off half my collection. I suppose the remaining less-worn watches are taking it in turns, roughly speaking, but I couldn't claim there's a system.

Master
    I find this difficult, because I don't enjoy too much choice. So my 'solution' is to sell all but four watches; tough because I like them all. But a little collection of four is more wearable.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    I find this difficult, because I don't enjoy too much choice. So my 'solution' is to sell all but four watches; tough because I like them all. But a little collection of four is more wearable.
    I know how you feel. You see ATM I've in effect got one more than that in 5. That I would want to wear a lot. The others for want of a better term are beaters and pure fun. Not to be worn huge amounts.

But how do you set about a system even with your 4? To make sure they all get wrist time.

Master
    A few of mine hardly ever get worn as they have sentimental value and don't necessarily suit me hence not selling them. I have a couple I use for specific purposes, maybe one-two days a week and the others I generally wear for a week at a time.

Craftsman
    I only own one SubC, so not an issue for me :) Nice problem to have though

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by casbar View Post
    I only own one SubC, so not an issue for me :) Nice problem to have though
    One good watch is all you need.

Wear a different one every day??

A "system"? You make it sound like it is something that will predict lottery balls or racehorse winners!

Do whatever works for you - Open the display box, and pick the one you fancy for the day??

Next!

Master
    No system here - just pick whatever I fancy on the day, or if I'm running late, the one that's already wound/set.

I have quite a number of watches that dont get much wrist time at all. I will, at some stage, have a cull.

Just wear what you fancy. If still undecided, then you have too many watches, hence the headache.

Master
    I have a 4 or 5 that fall into the daily wearer category and rotate them based on what I'm doing, smart v casual and just fancying a change.
    The remainder get worn occasionally, sometimes prompted by a pic on here or thinking 'I haven't worn that' for a while. Today was a bit like this in that I've been meaning to put a 'correct' bracelet on this and had the time today. I used to think 5 or 6 would be tricky to rotate but that notion disappeared when the collection hit 15.

When I had over a dozen watches I got into a routine of changing the watch over every Sunday. Buff the one being taken off with a soft cloth so it went back into the box all nice and clean and then lift the next one out and go through the process of setting it up to wear. It worked quite well until I flogged the lot.

I am now a two Watch man and one of those has been away at service for three weeks now, so not an issue at the moment.

When it comes back the aim is to carry on wearing the same watch all the time and keep the special watch for best.

I have a very simple system.

Get up, put on Speedmaster. Go to bed, take off Speedmaster.

Repeat each day.

(Unless gardening or swimming in the sea etc - then I swap it for a G Shock for the duration)

Craftsman
    Finding myself wearing the same watch all the time was one of the main reasons that decided me on stopping collecting them and divesting myself of 25 watches I wasn't wearing.

Prior to that, exactly the same as Wallasey Runner.

I have 7 main watches (plus a few beater quartzes for rough uses), but 2 watch-boxes. I pick the next watch I fancy wearing from box A, wear it for anywhere between 3 and 7 [or occasionally more] days (depending how I feel and what sort of activities I am involved with), transfer it to box B and then pick my next watch from box A - continuing until box A is empty; at which point I reverse the transfer process. This way I get an essentially random order (determined on how I'm feeling, of course) but ensure that each watch is used the same number of times (though for different durations). Weird -moi?!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I have a 4 or 5 that fall into the daily wearer category and rotate them based on what I'm doing, smart v casual and just fancying a change.
    The remainder get worn occasionally, sometimes prompted by a pic on here or thinking 'I haven't worn that' for a while. Today was a bit like this in that I've been meaning to put a 'correct' bracelet on this and had the time today. I used to think 5 or 6 would be tricky to rotate but that notion disappeared when the collection hit 15.

Wow that's pretty cool. I had to have a closer look as at first glance I thought it was a photoshop from the 'speedy wednesday' sales forum mickey take post.

As for a system, nope. But I think I've too many for a system. I do sometimes spend ages stood there choosing though!

No real system other than alternating between dark and light, black face one week, white the next. Then I turn the lights on and off three times or the world will end...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Wow that's pretty cool. I had to have a closer look as at first glance I thought it was a photoshop from the 'speedy wednesday' sales forum mickey take post
    Thanks, I think

I used to wear a different one almost every day, but recently my watch wearing habit has changed.
    I now tend to wear the same one for three or four days in a row, 24 hours a day..
    When you alternate each day you don`t get the same sense of `wow, this one is so much more different than the one i wore yesterday` feeling because you`re constantly seeing change.
    It`s good to go wear one style/design, get used to it for a while then put on something new - you can then appreciate the subtleties more.
    It`s nice to have a choice, and i like to think i have a varied and interesting collection..

Craftsman
    No rotation as such but I do try and make sure each watch gets a look in. The better watches mostly get worn on my days off and the lesser so any other time.

Any new watch seems to get a few days run-in to make sure it's running right, fits right and I'm happy with it - after that it's put in rotation with the rest.

Master
    Since joining this forum I have taken to changing my watch on a Friday. Even with this I miss wearing some of my small collection. I do hope that they are not offended.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The system is what I feel like wearing, except I don't wear best for fixing engines or heavy building work.

Craftsman
    I'm a bit of a tart, so generally where what best suits my outfit

I used to wear a different (vintage) watch every day but now just tend to wear my 42mm Explorer 2. I'm very tempted to offload some vintage watches and buy an SD4000.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    i used to pick the one that the date had stopped nearest to the date i am putting it on.

Craftsman
    Down to 3 watches so quite easy for me now

Master
    Get up, get dressed, open drawer, pick out watch that matches shirt, set, wear, repeat.

SGR

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by henk View Post
    There simply is not a good system unfortunately as watches are made to be worn daily. The fact we are hobbyists works against this. For this reason I just have the 2 now.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app
    Completely agree with Henk on this one. I've got 4 watches at present but only 1 expensive or 'nice' one, a 16570 that arrived yesterday. My Citizen, Seiko 5 and Helson are worn when the need arises.

With my 1 'nice' watch, the need for any rotational regime is considerably lessened. I think the more expensive watches you own, the greater the dilemma as the need to wear and make good on the outlay increases.

I'm going the other way now and looking potentially at a nice watch for the Mrs.

Master
    My system is to pick the one that best suits my outfit and what I'll be doing, then take it off again and try all the other watches in the box in turn and decide they're not quite right, then shout 'Yes I know, I'll be down in a minute', then try two of them again and spend five minutes adjusting the dates and synching them to an atomic clock app, and then go back to the one I was already wearing before I started. I find this works really well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    My system is to pick the one that best suits my outfit and what I'll be doing, then take it off again and try all the other watches in the box in turn and decide they're not quite right, then shout 'Yes I know, I'll be down in a minute', then try two of them again and spend five minutes adjusting the dates and synching them to an atomic clock app, and then go back to the one I was already wearing before I started. I find this works really well.
    Quality response, bravo sir 👏🏻 This is exactly what I'm talking about and absolutely the way I'd behave if in the same position.

No, system, just what I fancy.
    I do tend to wear it for about a month once it's on the wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    I thought that this was perfectly normal unless of course after going back to the original watch (that you wanted to wear anyway) you decide to change your clothes to match it.

Whatever I fancy on the day or what I'm wearing or how discrete I want to be.

I don't have a system. I'm in the 'wear what I fancy on the day' camp, often changing watch when I get home from work too.

Or at least, that's how it was... I think I might be moving to wearing the same watch most days and having interesting pieces to wear from time to time.

I've had a SubC for over a year now and originally thought it was 'too nice to wear every day' but am now heading towards thinking it's 'too nice to be sat in the watch box 9 days out of 10'. The problem* this leaves me with is that a number of the other watches I have could also fall into the 'every day wear' rather than being special interest watches. So, for example, I have a Crepas L'Ocean that I really enjoy owning and am quite happy to wear two or three times a year as the mood takes me. On the other hand, I have a Seamaster '50th GMT' that I could quite happily wear every day and would feel bad about if I wasn't wearing it enough. The more I wear the SubC, the more the Omega will be giving me sad eyes from the box. So I should sell all but one of my 'every day' watches and spend the money on watches the interest me but I'm happy to only wear occasionally? If only it was that easy...

(* there are bigger problems in the world than me having too many nice watches that don't get worn enough)