closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it me or does Longines not get much love on here?

Grand Master
    Here's the '57 9ct gold one I finished yesterday.....just needs the stem shortening a fraction and a couple of specs of dust removing from the dial.

Nice.....but at 33mmm it's a bit small by today's standards.

Paul

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by svaglic View Post
    I have some vintage Longines, with my small wrist vintage is the way to go for me.
    Ultrachron with the 430 no date.

23z linen dial

19A textured dial
    Never seen that textured dial before, it's intriguing and undoubtedly unique. The effect must be even more pronounced in real life.

I think this explains a lot, it destroyed the brand image in many eyes.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by raysablade View Post
    I think this explains a lot, it destroyed the brand image in many eyes.
    ..........but their old stuff was nice!

Same with Omega, I can't stand their modern watches , I dissociate the current state of the brand from what the company really stood for in the past when the focus was more on true technical quality rather than image or marketing.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 4th October 2017 at 23:14.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Of course it was and it still is, however an error like that always suggests a zombie brand run by accountants and a marketing team rather than watchmakers.

That is probably true of all of the lower tier Swatch brands but Longines had the highest pedestal to fall from and a slip from them was the most damaging.

I don't think it's Longines that don't get love on here. There's pockets of love for all brands but sadly herd mentality and awesome branding / marketing / supply limitation by Rolex and to an extent Omega too, means everyone wants, owns or just wants to talk about them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Looks nice enough.....shame about the strap though, looks awful to my eyes. New watch on faux scruffy brown leather is a no-no for me. Black dial and brown strap isn`t a combination that ever looks right to me.

Paul

Apprentice

A great name but

One of the historical great watch names but as the competition in the market place has increased and buyers become more selective how they spend their cash on luxury goods, i just do not think that many buyers would even consider Longines.

Their prices are competative but for a buyer its always a little bit about bragging rights when it comes to luxury items and i do not think that they are perceived as Luxury.

D.

Master
    There’s probably still room for Longines to operate strongly, though TAG offer a lot at their price points. The Longines ladies ranges I think are very strong.
    The 67’ Diver I Think is great and there’s strong following for the Hydroconquest and Legend Diver. I still find they can be a little hit and miss in that they could do a far better Lume job with the hydro conquest and then they’d have a killer watch. Thought the crown on my Certina DS was better than the crown on the Conquest. Yet the caseback on the Conquest was very impressive.
    If they did a few minnor upgrades they’d be well on the way . The recent ranges are interesting and I think they are on the right track.
    Last edited by Mark lowman; 7th October 2017 at 15:02.

Stolen from Instagram, where it came without any info like ref.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Stolen from Instagram, where it came without any info like ref.

Who's the owner? He or she must have an IG handle....

Grand Master
    the legend diver is on my list of watches to try
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post

Same with Omega, I can't stand their modern watches , I dissociate the current state of the brand from what the company really stood for in the past when the focus was more on true technical quality rather than image or marketing.

Paul
    Same here. Pre 1970 Longines was close to PP in quality. Modern collection sucks big time

Have a couple of them:

Last edited by Mark020; 18th October 2017 at 18:52.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post
    Same here. Pre 1970 Longines was close to PP in quality. Modern collection sucks big time

Have a couple of them:

I think to be fair technical achievement will only get you so far these days. A mechanical watch compared to say 3D printing production or our capacity to send millions of data bits in seconds.
    Watch makers have to create the dream as the whole industry is an artifact of bygone technology. Omega goes one route , Rolex another. We should really be thankful for Swatch for keeping the Longine brand reasonably powerful to the consumer. That is unless we only ever want our vintage dead brands such UG’s , Minerva’s and others, whilst all buying the omnipresent Rolex for our modern consumer need.

Another Longines(?) incoming. Appearantly a 1920-1930 42mm flieger.

Master
    The Legend Diver was probably ahead of the curve when it comes to mainstream vintage reissues. (Eddie had the PRS-14 out before them.) I owned the briefly available no date version, if it was a couple of millimetres smaller it would have kept it. Although I think the original was also 42mm...

I shortlisted a Longines COSD last year, but bought an Oris 65 in the end. A very nice watch though.

The 1945 is a highlight of the 2017 releases, looking forward to seeing one.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    There's very little love on here these days for anything other than safe bet fast appreciating watches, so if it's not a sports Rolex or Ltd Edition Speedy you can forget it.
    Spot on. Unless there's a profit to be had, other brands rarely get the attention they deserve.

Master
    I think they are under-appreciated as they have done and continue to do some cracking watches. I've been after a vintage Nonius for a while so if anyone has one I'd love to hear from you, their Heritage Conquest was possibly the most lovely watch I've had in terms of capturing the style of yesteryear so an original is on my long term WTB list and I've an increasing want for the Heritage Diver cushion case even though it'll probably wear too large on me. To my eyes their watches are way more interesting than some of the 'guaranteed investment' brands that dominate on here.

Quote Originally Posted by deepreddave View Post
    I think they are under-appreciated as they have done and continue to do some cracking watches. I've been after a vintage Nonius for a while so if anyone has one I'd love to hear from you, their Heritage Conquest was possibly the most lovely watch I've had in terms of capturing the style of yesteryear so an original is on my long term WTB list and I've an increasing want for the Heritage Diver cushion case even though it'll probably wear too large on me. To my eyes their watches are way more interesting than some of the 'guaranteed investment' brands that dominate on here.
    I agree that they are underrated, ironically they seem to get a lot more love on OF where they have their own section.

The original Conquest is surely a stone cold 1950's classic...

Last edited by Rocket Man; 21st October 2017 at 19:50.

Longines Avigation BigEye

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andsan View Post
    I’m liking the big 👁 but not seen it in the wild yet

Journeyman
    Can only say i am really pleased with my Longines

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post

Have a couple of them:

Wow - a 13ZN 23074 - for me it's on the podium as far as chronographs go, up with the A386, the UG Tri-Compax and Lemania 2310 but far rarer - a particularly significant one for me as I really like the centre minute chronographs like the L5100. Fantastic.

Their recent re-issue of the 30CH 7981 big eye diver was well done - another classic watch in original form.

Last edited by andy111s; 25th February 2018 at 05:22.

Journeyman
    I do like the look of that red bezel one, not seen that one before!!

Scottie

Is it me or does Longines not get much love on here?

For what is worth.. I’m enjoying every ticking seconds of this!

Funny enough.. it was around 23:45, and I thought.. it (the VHP) has got a perpetual calendar, let’s see what happens at 00:00 when it jumps from 28 to 1.

Well then, it’s 00:02 now and as it was jumping through the date I’ve notice for a second that in between the 31 and the 1 there a Longines logo!!!

It might not be much, but I liked it!
    Those little touches are always welcome

Last edited by scucivolo; 1st March 2018 at 01:04.

Journeyman
    I admit, it’s a brand that does not excite me in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by PMPM View Post
    Brutal! Ahahah

I really like the look of some of the Longines range. I've been close a few times to trying a Legend Diver but just never seem to get round to pulling the trigger.
    I also like the look of that 1945 model

A few months ago I was looking for a 'grab & go' quartz, found this on a certain internet auction site, 6 months old, mint & 35% off RRP, it was a no brainer for me......

The appeal of the Hydroconquest to me is the fact that it is made in the 'sub' style, yet has its own styling queues that make it stand apart from a sub-a-like (Steinhart springs to mind). Longines also has its own rich brand history to rival the so called 'big guns'.

They're a brand I like.

It helps that they're associated with Winter Sports (official timer), which interests me, but I think they manage to support sports (eg Equestrian events) that exude a certain style, without the 'try hard' F1 or Football associations.

I bought a Longines pocket watch a year ago and was really impressed to find that their heritage department will provide background on a watch, if you send them photographs and a serial number.

From it, I discovered mine was shipped to the French Agent in June 1914!

The cost? Nothing.

Little things like that make a difference in my feeling about the brand.

I've got a blue Longines Hydronconquest too (wearing it today, funnily enough), which is a favourite of mine (for much the same reasons as 97BlackC5 states) and I really liked the Ultronic I owned for a while - It's the only watch I can say that I regret selling - It was a perfect style and size to wear with a suit.

The LLD is a great looking watch, too, that I'm often drawn to in AD displays, even when looking at dearer watches.

A final point is that they're pitched at a price that, whilst not budget watches, are affordable enough to mean I never really worry too much about where I wear the watch or what I'm doing when I do. My HC has been down below 30M on dives with me, not something I'd want to do with many other divers watches from a brand with genuine heritage (for fear of losing it!).

I may have said this before in this or another thread, but not everyone (me included) reads all the way through a thread

M
    Last edited by snowman; 1st March 2018 at 13:47.

I love my Legend Diver

Is it me or does Longines not get much love on here?

Some of you may have already seen this Longines promotional film from the early 20th Century (1908-). The intro from the presenter is only a minute and the film is about 5 minutes.

https://youtu.be/ob0xjdV4_fs

There is a longer version here which I enjoyed more, that has quite a bit more detail but no music track.

https://youtu.be/wABEHOiD6pQ
    Last edited by alfat33; 3rd March 2018 at 09:29.

Craftsman
    Same boat.. can't justify it..

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Here is one with a very special place in my heart: My father's watch, given to him in 1946 by his father. Still working fine. It's a 13ZN flyback chronograph in 18kt Gold, which I believe is one of the first flyback mechanisms in a wrist watch ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Here is one with a very special place in my heart: My father's watch, given to him in 1946 by his father. Still working fine. It's a 13ZN flyback chronograph in 18kt Gold, which I believe is one of the first flyback mechanisms in a wrist watch ever made.
    That’s a very nice watch and lovely thing to have.

.......they are just about to launch their first Cosc certified watch.... I expect there will be a rising of their profile this year and beyond.

#1 watch brand in China believe it or not?!

Craftsman
    For some weird reason I really like this one

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/lo...ch-introducing

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    That’s a very nice watch and lovely thing to have.

Yep, it the true essence of having a watch "handed down" with the memories attached.... and is what has got me into watch collecting in my old age....For my children.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomps68 View Post
    I love my Legend Diver

That's really good looking

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Have a couple and really like them.

I for one am happy for the current brand positioning to continue as it seems to keep the vintage watches at an affordable level.

Master
    I love my Legend Diver

I love your Legend Diver too
    Found one for 1000 euros but my if I add a few pound in my watch found I can only buy a Casio F91.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

That is a lovely watch. Great family history to go with it.

I love my Legend Diver

At the moment my favourite (grail) Longines watch, if only I could stop buying seikos then I could go for it

Master
    I think there are some great Longines watches; both old and new-really happy with what they've done with this re-imagining: feels suitably old school enough with modern reliability (my dad had a 1970's gold Longines-can't recall what model, but it was always going wrong!)

Master
    I like the recent vintage-based models. They seem well-designed and good value. What I bought was one of the new VHP quartz watches. Perpetual calendar, very high precision, nicely made. Quite taken with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 97BlackC5 View Post
    A few months ago I was looking for a 'grab & go' quartz, found this on a certain internet auction site, 6 months old, mint & 35% off RRP, it was a no brainer for me......

The appeal of the Hydroconquest to me is the fact that it is made in the 'sub' style, yet has its own styling queues that make it stand apart from a sub-a-like (Steinhart springs to mind). Longines also has its own rich brand history to rival the so called 'big guns'.
    Must admit I like the look of the Hydroconquest. As a grab and go quartz I think I might be tempted if the right one came along.

Grand Master
    If there is love for Longines,I'll let you buy my Longines Heritage Conquest if so.....£485 😉

I would urge you to read up on their history. The pedigree is there - just sadly not marketed to reflect it.

Quote Originally Posted by murilloinf View Post
    Same boat.. can't justify it..
    I don't think a brand with such heritage really needs justification.