closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it me or does Longines not get much love on here?

Craftsman
    Like others have said I like some of their heritage models particularly the 1969 diver .Iam not so keen on the new ones so much .

Sent from my Moto G (4) using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Somewhere to put it is easy. I find the left wrist most convenient

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well that space is free, as I usually wear my watch on the right!

Craftsman
    I personally rate longines very highly, all of their watches seem good quality and they rarely produce any mingers!!!!! My legend diver is a keeper and the heritage line is pretty impressive.... A good brand with great history glad they're priced where they are so i can afford to buy......

I quite like Longines........I have 3 of them, a L.L.D. a quartz Hydroconquest, and this rather lovely looking thing.

Maybe they dont get much "love" on here (Tag Heuer dont get much love on here either!).

If you like them......wear them!

another here who really likes the Heritage range.

Will be really tempted by this once I have a job again!

https://www.jurawatches.co.uk/collec...4-78-2-lng-988

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Well that space is free, as I usually wear my watch on the right!
    Ooooo controversial! get two!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    I'm very tempted by this
    Stunner!

M

Craftsman
    Longines were very well regarded at the beginning of the 20th century. I don't think they've had the "sexy" marketing that some other watch brands have. They are fantastically crafted watches IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by .olli. View Post
    I quite agree with Paul, I am a big fan of Longines dress watches of the 1960s and 1970s in particular. Very elegant, understated design, and the movements were really well made.

Check this post on my blog to see what I mean about the quality.

They have good looking watches in their current range, but none of them feel that special to me. I guess I could say the same about a lot of brands...
    Wow read your blog. Fantastic attention to detail and to the watch and my oh my what a stunner now!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    I once had a Longines 13.35 trench watch. It was inscribed: 'By appointment to the late Queen Victoria'.
    Longines staff thought it was hilarious since it implied she was never on time.....!

Brendan(webwatchmaker.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshiremadmick View Post
    Wow read your blog. Fantastic attention to detail and to the watch and my oh my what a stunner now!

Thank you very much! They are great movements to work on

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    A few more good pictures of that 1945:

https://www.fratellowatches.com/longines-heritage-1945/
    Those pics are beautiful. They struck gold with this one for sure.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plume View Post
    Those pics are beautiful. They struck gold with this one for sure.
    Agreed. It's a lovely combo.

Master
    For sure, Swatch have de-valued the Longines brand by making it second-tier. They do though have a great history and continue to make excellent, high-value-for-money watches, IMVHO, of course.

Here is one of mine bought for me by the wife to celebrate the birth of our first child:

Last edited by gc52; 11th July 2017 at 08:28.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by gc52 View Post
    For sure, Swatch have de-valued the Longines brand by making it second-tier. They do though have a great history and continue to make excellent, high-value-for-money watches, IMVHO, of course.

Here is one of mine bought for me by the wife to celebrate the birth of our first child:

Lovely design. The execution is very fine when you look at that logo, the subdial print, and those lugs

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Plume View Post
    Lovely design. The execution is very fine when you look at that logo, the subdial print, and those lugs
    Have to say that I am impressed with this watch. I wore it every day for about 10 years ! It has just had a complete service and a new OEM strap fitted. I now wear it less frequently, and will pass this onto the boy at some stage.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman

Longines Heritage Legend

I'm think of getting a Longines Heritage Legend. As I never had one before.

Looking forward to receiving my second vintage Longines. Just bought on SC

Journeyman
    I have some vintage Longines, with my small wrist vintage is the way to go for me.
    Ultrachron with the 430 no date.

23z linen dial

19A textured dial

Craftsman
    Something old

Something new

Quote Originally Posted by svaglic View Post
    I have some vintage Longines, with my small wrist vintage is the way to go for me.
    Ultrachron with the 430 no date.

23z linen dial

19A textured dial
    Lovely watches. That ultra chron looks strange without the Longines logo on the dial. Not noticed that before

Lovely watches. That ultra chron looks strange without the Longines logo on the dial. Not noticed that before
    That made me check mine, but it has the logo...

Master
    I rather like Longines, my Dad had a 70's model in 9ct gold, always gave him trouble! This looks lovely-nice price too! https://www.longines.com/watches/her...SAAEgIgSvD_BwE

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .olli. View Post
    Thank you very much! They are great movements to work on
    I`ll second that........just read Olli's blog covering the 12.68, having stripped and assembled one last weekend I could've saved the trouble of taking photos if I`d found the blog first! I always take lots of pictures when stripping a strange movement, once they're taken they're on the computer for future reference so I only have to do it once. This watch had been in my projects drawer for around 5 years, finally it's been sorted.

Mine gave 300° amplitude on reassembly but I fitted a new mainspring too as a precaution. Having said that, the original looked fine and I could've refitted it if the replacement hadn`t been available. Great movement, very well made, and definitely built to last. Longines were up there with the best in the 50s/60s, it's a real shame the brand has become devalued under the Swatch umbrella. I really like their heritage/reissue stuff, I think they do it better than anyone.

I think the hand-wound Longines 12.68 and the Omega 260/280 series were the best movements around in the 50s, from a current buyers viewpoint they're a good bet because they seem to stand up to wear and tear better than some of the later movements.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 4th October 2017 at 11:17.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I`ll second that........just read Olli's blog covering the 12.68, having stripped and assembled one last weekend I could've saved the trouble of taking photos if I`d found the blog first! I always take lots of pictures when stripping a strange movement, once they're taken they're on the computer for future reference so I only have to do it once. This watch had been in my projects drawer for around 5 years, finally it's been sorted.

Mine gave 300° amplitude on reassembly but I fitted a new mainspring too as a precaution. Having said that, the original looked fine and I could've refitted it if the replacement hadn`t been available. Great movement, very well made, and definitely built to last. Longines were up there with the best in the 50s/60s, it's a real shame the brand has become devalued under the Swatch umbrella. I really like their heritage/reissue stuff, I think they do it better than anyone.

I think the hand-wound Longines 12.68 and the Omega 260/280 series were the best movements around in the 50s, from a current buyers viewpoint they're a good bet because they seem to stand up to wear and tear better than some of the later movements.

Paul
    Correct me if I'm wrong Paul, but are parts for older Longines watches difficult to source now. I recall you writing this sometime ago in another thread.
    I love the older 50's/60's Longines, but scarcity in the avaiilability of parts has deterred me from buying one.

Will you be wearing it on the mesh? 😃

Craftsman
    I've owned a Hydroconquest 41mm Auto for coming up on 2 years now and I love it. The sad thing is that it's so well put together and is so versatile that it makes it hard for me to appreciate anything than the polar opposite. Applied numerals and logo, great feeling bezel, date window is nicely framed, strap edges are polished and not left sharp making it really comfortable and at 12mm high its really easy to wear with any tightness of cuff. It looks great on the bracelet, great on a nato and great on an isofrane. It's a proper all round winner, imho.

There's some love for Longines

That is a lovely looking watch, a bit small for my taste, but otherwise very stylish.

I was quite glad when it was marked OHPF, as I could feel my resolve crumbling!

M

It is sad how some brands which were at the top, or near the top, have gone down.

I have a couple of vintage Longines and they fly under the radar.

I also have various Bulova watches, some vintage some newer and the older Swiss ones are top quality .
    Unfortunately now Bulova is only rated as a fashion brand.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    That is a lovely looking watch, a bit small for my taste, but otherwise very stylish.
    Obviously, no design magically makes a watch a different size to what it is, so what I'm about to write only makes sense within the context of being happy with a 34mm watch (or "35mm" as they're often called in adverts)

Right now I'm wearing my gold Longines, which is also 34mm, and it feels totally different on the wrist. It has a gently curved caseback and lugs that curve out of the round case.

That Admiral though is all straight lines: from the crown to the integrated lug, straight line. That straight line is then further strengthened by an angled, crisply drawn facet, that catches the light, nicely contrasted with the brushed top of the case. The caseback is totally flat. The watch is quite thin, giving a decent large diameter to thickness ratio.

Added together, these make for strong masculine styling, which gives the watch a genuine presence. Until recently I had a Seiko Skyliner which was similar to it - although 37mm, it had the same lug to lug, similar strong lines and facets, a crystal rising high over the case, similar thickness. When placed side by side, it wasn't that the Admiral looked small in comparison, but that the Skyliner looked a little plump, and more feminine, in comparison with the lean Admiral. The sunburst on the Admiral's dial being so very subtle probably also helps that air.

So while the gold Longines I still have feels like a pretty and decorative thing, the Admiral I was able to be happy with as a daily wearer. With hindsight I wish I had put it on a thin glossy black alligator-style strap, and let that bring out its maximum severity.

Before I found this example, I saw one which had been polished in the most foolish way, with no attempt made to retain the crisp styling, and the watch looked awful, like a sad little pebble, good for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Obviously, no design magically makes a watch a different size to what it is, so what I'm about to write only makes sense within the context of being happy with a 34mm watch (or "35mm" as they're often called in adverts)

Right now I'm wearing my gold Longines, which is also 34mm, and it feels totally different on the wrist. It has a gently curved caseback and lugs that curve out of the round case.

That Admiral though is all straight lines: from the crown to the integrated lug, straight line. That straight line is then further strengthened by an angled, crisply drawn facet, that catches the light, nicely contrasted with the brushed top of the case. The caseback is totally flat. The watch is quite thin, giving a decent large diameter to thickness ratio.

Added together, these make for strong masculine styling, which gives the watch a genuine presence. Until recently I had a Seiko Skyliner which was similar to it - although 37mm, it had the same lug to lug, similar strong lines and facets, a crystal rising high over the case, similar thickness. When placed side by side, it wasn't that the Admiral looked small in comparison, but that the Skyliner looked a little plump, and more feminine, in comparison with the lean Admiral. The sunburst on the Admiral's dial being so very subtle probably also helps that air.

So while the gold Longines I still have feels like a pretty and decorative thing, the Admiral I was able to be happy with as a daily wearer. With hindsight I wish I had put it on a thin glossy black alligator-style strap, and let that bring out its maximum severity.

Before I found this example, I saw one which had been polished in the most foolish way, with no attempt made to retain the crisp styling, and the watch looked awful, like a sad little pebble, good for nothing.
    I can fully understand that - I have watches that wear bigger than their bald dimensions suggest, but I've got a few 34/35mm watches and I didn't really want another as I find them a little small for my taste (even if they wear biggish).

I've admired the watch in many of your photos and, if anything, I was looking for a reason NOT to buy it

Probably a good example of a watch Longines could reissue in a bigger size (say 38mm) and that would sell well.

M

Good selling job. But I already bought it

Am I right in thinking Longines use to be the official time keepers for the likes of F1 and athletics back in the 70's and 80's?
    A few of my friends who have an interest in watches seem to snub them, but I find them to be a sensibly priced quality watch with a great but somewhat over looked history.
    The current models seem to keep up with modern trends, maybe its the lack of high profile marketing which keeps the price down and therefore their perceived quality/credibility has suffered as a result?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    maybe its the lack of high profile marketing which keeps the price down and therefore their perceived quality/credibility has suffered as a result?
    It's Swatch's hierarchical structure.

Longines fit in below Omega, somewhere a little above Hamilton and Certina.

Their 'historical' department are great too - They'll send you information on any watch (FOC) if you provide some basic details (serial, photos, etc).

M

I think the only problem with brands such as Longines, is the fact that, they're main selling watches are Vintage re-issue.. which is good, but also limiting, since people like many of us would rather buy the original over the re-issue.. perfect example is the longines heritage 1945, stunning, but with some minor but somewhat important details like, the position of the sub-dial, that might put some people off.. what i like about longines, is that they're investing time and resources into HAQ, like the new conquest VHP.. because there's not that many brands out there the believe in high quality quartz, and they can really make (rather RE-make) a name for them self because of this..

Quote Originally Posted by scucivolo View Post
    I think the only problem with brands such as Longines, is the fact that, they're main selling watches are Vintage re-issue.. which is good, but also limiting, since people like many of us would rather buy the original over the re-issue.. perfect example is the longines heritage 1945, stunning, but with some minor but somewhat important details like, the position of the sub-dial, that might put some people off.. what i like about longines, is that they're investing time and resources into HAQ, like the new conquest VHP.. because there's not that many brands out there the believe in high quality quartz, and they can really make (rather RE-make) a name for them self because of this..
    I think you're misjudging the global market in general.

I think Longines sell well because they're shipping affordable (relatively), stylish Swiss watches from a brand with true heritage.

The Conquests and Hydroconquests share names with older watches (I think), but not styling, whilst many of their other designs are modern.

There are some 'reissues'/'reimaginings', but I'm not sure the majority of buyers know or care that they are or would go looking for an old, used watch instead.

The retro styling appeals to many, but with the reassurances of a modern movement and a warranty.

I understand Longines are huge in the Far East (especially China), the way Buick are!

M

PS I suspect the HAQ is shared with other Swatch brands such as Certina and Breitling.

Good selling job. But I already bought it

LOL I think it was just taking one final opportunity to deliver that speech

Quote Originally Posted by scucivolo View Post
    I think the only problem with brands such as Longines, is the fact that, they're main selling watches are Vintage re-issue..
    That's what it seems like to us in places like these, but in reality ....

"SJX: While the historical remakes are a collector favourite, Longines is a very big company. How do you balance being a premium product while selling many watches?

WVK: First of all you need volume. We sell 1.4 million watches with 1.5 billion [Swiss franc] turnover. You need volume [for] strength, and profits. And there is one more factor, the pricing is very important.

Your category of journalist and experts [love the Heritage], but we have to respect that Heritage is three percent [of sales]. It’s pleasure, history, PR, they are talking pieces.

The “Elegance” collection is 51 percent [and so on with the other collections]. You need [watches like these], you need volume. You have to focus somewhere."

Full interview: http://watchesbysjx.com/2016/05/inte...-longines.html

Quote Originally Posted by doebag View Post
    I've owned a Hydroconquest 41mm Auto for coming up on 2 years now and I love it. The sad thing is that it's so well put together and is so versatile that it makes it hard for me to appreciate anything than the polar opposite. Applied numerals and logo, great feeling bezel, date window is nicely framed, strap edges are polished and not left sharp making it really comfortable and at 12mm high its really easy to wear with any tightness of cuff. It looks great on the bracelet, great on a nato and great on an isofrane. It's a proper all round winner, imho.

There's some love for Longines
    I've had mine for about a year now, after yearning for one for five. Really should have got one sooner.

I've since bought a Bond SMP, with the idea of selling the Longines, but it might go the other way...

Is it me or does Longines not get much love on here?

That's what it seems like to us in places like these, but in reality ....

"SJX: While the historical remakes are a collector favourite, Longines is a very big company. How do you balance being a premium product while selling many watches?

WVK: First of all you need volume. We sell 1.4 million watches with 1.5 billion [Swiss franc] turnover. You need volume [for] strength, and profits. And there is one more factor, the pricing is very important.

Your category of journalist and experts [love the Heritage], but we have to respect that Heritage is three percent [of sales]. It’s pleasure, history, PR, they are talking pieces.

The “Elegance” collection is 51 percent [and so on with the other collections]. You need [watches like these], you need volume. You have to focus somewhere."

Full interview: http://watchesbysjx.com/2016/05/inte...-longines.html
    I think this proves my point.. the thread talked about Longines, and why they don't get much love here.

Last edited by scucivolo; 4th October 2017 at 18:59.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    I've had mine for about a year now, after yearning for one for five. Really should have got one sooner.

I've since bought a Bond SMP, with the idea of selling the Longines, but it might go the other way...
    At £790 (before the price rise) I was hard pressed to find an equally high quality piece, from an equally respected brand and for as good a price.

I was initially looking at Magrettes and a few other micros, and had never thought to look at Longines because to me the brand was positioned out of my price bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    I think you're misjudging the global market in general.

I think Longines sell well because they're shipping affordable (relatively), stylish Swiss watches from a brand with true heritage.

The Conquests and Hydroconquests share names with older watches (I think), but not styling, whilst many of their other designs are modern.

There are some 'reissues'/'reimaginings', but I'm not sure the majority of buyers know or care that they are or would go looking for an old, used watch instead.

The retro styling appeals to many, but with the reassurances of a modern movement and a warranty.

I understand Longines are huge in the Far East (especially China), the way Buick are!

M

PS I suspect the HAQ is shared with other Swatch brands such as Certina and Breitling.
    I wasn’t aware that Swatch had bought Breitling (?)
    It's just a matter of time...

Good point. ETA movements is the commonality!

M

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Here is my ones.

This is the one I haven't sold, and will not be selling (unless I rob a bank in my sleep and buy a Moser)

From 1960, though the design of both that English case and the Longines movement had been in production for many years at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
    Here is my ones.

Could you tell me the model number of the one on the right please Jocke?

Thanks

Is it me or does Longines not get much love on here?

Quote Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
    Here is my ones.

The one on the left looks like my old steinhart - which I love
    Edit actually no it doesn't

Apprentice
    Not a big fan of those straps.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong Paul, but are parts for older Longines watches difficult to source now. I recall you writing this sometime ago in another thread.
    I love the older 50's/60's Longines, but scarcity in the avaiilability of parts has deterred me from buying one.
    Correct, parts do seem far scarcer than Omega parts from the same era, but the stocks of Omega parts are now starting to dwindle.

Having said that, provided the watch in question has no faults and it's running well, it shouldn`t need anything replacing. It's the non-running fixer uppers that can prove difficult.

When scarcity of parts is an issue I favour hand-wounds by a huge margin, most problems with old automatic watches are related to the self-winding mechanism. For an auto this has to include the mainspring barrel too; as the spring is designed to slip around the inside of the barrel walls (like a clutch) wear is inevitable. An automatic with a badly worn spring barrel will never run as well as it should, the amplitude will be lower because the mainspring can`t achieve a high state of wind and the power reserve will suffer . Unfortunately mainspring barrels are no longer available for many old watches and it can be a problem. I don`t know Swatch Group's policy with old Longines watches; possibly the service centre at Southampton can access parts and sort problem watches out (at a price!). Possibly the older stuff has to go back to Switzerland, I'm guessing there is a stock of parts that isn`t made available otherwise.

Swatch Group play the heritage card strongly with the Longines brand, yet their commitment to the genuine vintage models could better served if they made parts readily available......but that's a separate debate!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by OldHooky View Post
    Could you tell me the model number of the one on the right please Jocke?

Thanks
    It's a L2 732 4 and here is the story about it.

http://www.watchwallpapers.com/longe.htm