closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photobucket - making everyones life miserable

Master
    Could someone tell me how to use the Imgur link found on the iPad app to post to this forum? The only option seems to be 'copy link', and when that's pasted into the box that comes up for adding pictures, I get this nice little square:

EDIT: the answer, for all iPad users, is not to use the link, but to touch the picture itself until 'copy link' comes up, and use that link instead. Works like a charm, frankly I'm very happy to drop Photobucket, which was always rubbish. It always used to show me adverts featuring rotten teeth for some reason, not very pleasant. Sucks that they've deleted the entire history of thousands of forums though, what terrible people.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 7th July 2017 at 10:19.

Got my Email this morning, all my thread pics have been hidden, same as you chaps.

Trying to download albums now, looks like could be a lengthy process grrrrr

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren Cal.11/12 View Post
    There's a fair chance people may have already heard about this but the corporate idiots at Photobucket have WITHOUT WARNING, suddenly changed their policy & usage.
    They are now asking $40 a month to use their services.
    Big deal i hear the crowd saying, use an alternative service. Well it is a big deal as it means that all photobucket photos loaded onto this forum over the years are no longer viewable unless the user that originally uploaded the photo pays Photobuckets monthly ransom.
    This means that we will be seeing a lot more photos on this forum archive that look like this

A damn shame in my eyes as there is no way all contributors from our glorious past are going to stand for the extortion tactics of evil Photobucket.
    I have to admit it really cheeses me off as my entire history of contribution to this fine forum will be lost to corporate greed.
    I will not swallow that level of ignorance or lack of consideration for a customer. I will be taking my photos elsewhere & i hope the masses do the same thing. Screw Photobucket i hope they lose every customer they ever had & go bankrupt !!

Steaming angry - Darren
    $40/month???

This issue popped up for me a few weeks ago killing my photographic contribution to horology across a couple of forums over many years in one fell swoop. I'm not sad to see the back of PB though because, as others have said, the service has been terrible for the past year or so.

They won't be getting any money from me while they have such poor service and this latest attempt to hold me to ransom. I'll move on thanks. I sincerely hope they fall over spectacularly after this latest stunt.

Imgur will be my first port of call and I'll look for a tool to move all my PB library over to something else when I have time.

Craftsman

This amused me so I have set up a trial account to see how it goes.

Seems the days of these hot linking services being completely free are gone. Photobucket's quick change with no care for existing users is despicable; The least they could have done is warn us and give us a fair offer.

I understand hot linking gains them basically nil advertising revenue, but still it's very rough how they have played it.

Craftsman
    Oh this was going too well.

Seems you can't copy the picture addresses to enable hotlinking from the Fotki app on iOS

Also frustratingly it loads your photo stream old to new so you have to scroll scroll scroll to get to latest pics.

Quote Originally Posted by dommorton View Post
    Oh this was going too well.

Seems you can't copy the picture addresses to enable hotlinking from the Fotki app on iOS

Also frustratingly it loads your photo stream old to new so you have to scroll scroll scroll to get to latest pics.
    This is where SmugMug works well (for me), but using the website rather than the app, simply open album, select image, select "share", select image size required (very useful for posting on forums) then copy the BB code. This works perfectly on my iMac/Pad/Phone but I'm sure it'll be fine on Android etc.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Interesting thanks

I had never heard of SmugMug until recently when our wedding photographer hosted our pics there.

I'll take a look.

Master
    I have some photos from photobucket that are still showing from a thread on here. How can I save these pics before they get deleted. I don't have my old laptop where they were stored and I'm very tech unsavvy. Help please.

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    I have some photos from photobucket that are still showing from a thread on here. How can I save these pics before they get deleted. I don't have my old laptop where they were stored and I'm very tech unsavvy. Help please.
    If you still have access to the account you can still download them. They aren't deleting any images (yet). All they are doing is blocking hotlinking, so for anyone affected the image just shows up as a "you need to upgrade your account" banner. If the image links back to a high-res version on PB, that link will still work and the images will still appear there, just not here or on any other site apart from PB itself.

So if you don't have access to the PB account anymore, you may be able to download the image anyway (right click, save as...). I can't remember if PB disable the right-click menu. If they do, that makes it a bit more complicated, but not impossible.

Master
    Thanks for that robt. I signed into PB but couldn't open my photos as pop ups appeared and I couldn't remove them so had to exit. Anyway problem solved I opened the TZUK thread and downloaded the pics one by one to my phone then transferred them to Google photos.

Thanks for that robt. I signed into PB but couldn't open my photos as pop ups appeared and I couldn't remove them so had to exit.
    Yet another reason PB is terrible. I got redirected to some malware site that wanted to hijack my browser when I tried to visit the p500 page on my iPad. I don't go there without an ad-blocker now. They don't seem to mind what kind of ads they serve up, and many of them are malicious. Their servers are also incredibly slow.

Anyway problem solved I opened the TZUK thread and downloaded the pics one by one to my phone then transferred them to Google photos.
    Good stuff.

Master
    Hello all, it is possible to download your whole photobucket album in one go on your computer, though I don't think you can on your phone or tablet. Follow the instructions here.

It took a few goes and a little delay, but it worked. All photos I want to keep are now on Imgur instead, where the relevant link can be found by right-clicking on the photo and copying the link, rather than using the copy link button. The same works on the iPad / iPhone app, touch the photo until copy link appears instead of using the more obvious link button. Overall a much better experience than Photobucket so far, let's hope it stays that way, we've lost some history but the silver lining is it's a big improvement.

I decided to delete my Photobucket account once I'd downloaded the photos (are they really trustworthy after all?), and before you can do that it asks you why, which is a good opportunity to give them a piece of your mind. This could backfire if they changed their minds and restored the function I suppose. Had they acted differently they would perhaps deserve thanks for years of free hosting, but the eventual blackmail scheme makes it hard to say anything other than good riddance.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 9th July 2017 at 16:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Hello all, it is possible to download your whole photobucket album in one go on your computer, though I don't think you can on your phone or tablet. Follow the instructions here.

It took a few goes and a little delay, but it worked. All photos I want to keep are now on Imgur instead, where the relevant link can be found by right-clicking on the photo and copying the link, rather than using the copy link button. The same works on the iPad / iPhone app, touch the photo until copy link appears instead of using the more obvious link button. Overall a much better experience than Photobucket so far, let's hope it stays that way, we've lost some history but the silver lining is it's a big improvement.

I decided to delete my Photobucket account once I'd downloaded the photos (are they really trustworthy after all?), and before you can do that it asks you why, which is a good opportunity to give them a piece of your mind. This could backfire if they changed their minds and restored the function I suppose. Had they acted differently they would perhaps deserve thanks for years of free hosting, but the eventual blackmail scheme makes it hard to say anything other than good riddance.
    This.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Photobucket - making everyones life miserable

Test !

I have just thanked them for ruining years of forum posts from many people, and deleted my account. Cretins.
    Am going to populate my original photos into my postimage account, but a lot of people's posts are now stuffed, and will not be rebuilt.
    Dave

Test no.1 using Imgur on ipad
    https://i.imgur.com/QB5dUR7.jpg

Edit : why am i only seeing the link & not the picture ??

Attept no.2 imgur / ipad

Test no.1 using Imgur on ipad

Edit : why am i only seeing the link & not the picture ??

BBcode:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/QB5dUR7.jpg[/img]

Craftsman
    Attept no.2 imgur / ipad
    You need to use img tags rather than url tags

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post

BBcode:

Thanks !! Where do i find the BB codes inside the app ?

Thanks !! Where do i find the BB codes inside the app ?
    Depends on the app, not sure if they are supported. Which app are you using?

I don't use any apps myself anyway so I won't be able to give you the specifics. I just type the code in by hand. Which is a bit awkward on a phone/tablet because you have to keep switching to the symbols keyboard and back, but I entered that on an iPad (and I even managed to get it to show the code, which is even more awkward).

I've been using postimages.org lately and it gives you a bunch of different options to copy & paste bbcode. It's especially handy if you upload loads of pictures at once because you can do a bulk upload into a gallery, then it gives you the bbcode to post the entire gallery at once (either as full images or thumbnails, by changing a drop-down option).

I think it would be nice, don't know how possible it is though, to have a service that redirects existing photobucket links to another service, in order to restore at least the historical posts from the past.

Craftsman
    Tried Fotki it was pants. Very frustrating app for the iPhone.

Now on Imgur and it seems superb. Great app and great website. Seemingly not bogged down with ads either.

Photobucket has actually improved my life, far from making me miserable I have now dumped it and no longer will I suffer from the ads, bugs, delays and frustration.
    Good riddance to bad rubbish I say.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    Photobucket has actually improved my life, far from making me miserable I have now dumped it and no longer will I suffer from the ads, bugs, delays and frustration.
    Good riddance to bad rubbish I say.
    Couldn't agree more. Just very annoyed my hosted and hot linked content is no longer visible as a contribution to various forums etc.

BBcode:

I've now set up an imgur account. It took a bit of fiddling to work out the format for embedding the pics but I got to this format with a quick Google search. All seems to work so i'm happy for now.

Another imgur tester

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]
    You have doubled-up the [img] tags there for some reason.

You have doubled-up the [img] tags there for some reason.
    Sorted, thanks

Imgur test 3

BB Code

Thanks gents

Craftsman
    Strange I think my photobucket pics are still visible?

Trying one now:

Hope for the best...

It works for me in the preview. Should it work for others, then the question is why? I have not payed anything.

Quote Originally Posted by BMONSTER View Post
    Strange I think my photobucket pics are still visible?
    I've said it before, but I'll say it again: they aren't blocking all accounts. They are currently only going after those with the highest usage and therefore most likely to pay up. Their T&Cs are the same for everyone though and it would actually be easier for them to just block hot-linking from all accounts. The fact that they are not doing that shows they are trying to minimise the damage, but it seems likely they will widen the net in the future.

Stop using Photobucket for posting on forums. It's already caused the lost of a lot of historic information.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: they aren't blocking all accounts. They are currently only going after those with the highest usage and therefore most likely to pay up. Their T&Cs are the same for everyone though and it would actually be easier for them to just block hot-linking from all accounts. The fact that they are not doing that shows they are trying to minimise the damage, but it seems likely they will widen the net in the future.

Stop using Photobucket for posting on forums. It's already caused the lost of a lot of historic information.
    I use it for maybe three or four photos a month - it's blocked my images, hardly high usage!

That is even worse if true, their 29 July 2017 new policy is clear that only the 399$/year contract supports hotlinking, so this is totally unfair for the rest of the users. I use it for 2-3 photos per month the last two years, too, so I also wouldn't call that high usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    I use it for maybe three or four photos a month - it's blocked my images, hardly high usage!
    Same here.
    I only ever used photobucket as a means to post images and not for storage (any images I had on pb are held and backed up elsewhere) so I've deleted all images and my account.

Master
    I use Fotki, and have done for c12 years with no issues at all.

Photobuckets decision is indeed sad/annoying, all those old (but very useful) threads on car forums for instance that now have text but no images.
    Many of which will never be replaced as the OP's have moved away from the marque or deleted the pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by markosgr28 View Post
    That is even worse if true, their 29 July 2017 new policy is clear that only the 399$/year contract supports hotlinking, so this is totally unfair for the rest of the users. I use it for 2-3 photos per month the last two years, too, so I also wouldn't call that high usage.
    Indeed, it's an absolute rip-off. I'm not sure what metrics they are using to decide who gets blocked and who doesn't but I can say with absolute certainty that implementing a single server rule that simply blocks all hotlinking is much simpler and less resource-intensive than whatever it is they are doing, so they clearly have a strategy that is designed to avoid losing too many users. The only other possibility is that they are rolling out the hotlinking policy to their servers gradually, so it's hitting people randomly depending on which server they are on.

The new T&Cs make it clear that hotlinking is not allowed on any tier except the $399/year one, which is ridiculous for anything short of professional photographers using it for business purposes. And even at that, they'd be getting a terrible service and really poor value for money.

Indeed, it's an absolute rip-off. I'm not sure what metrics they are using to decide who gets blocked and who doesn't but I can say with absolute certainty that implementing a single server rule that simply blocks all hotlinking is much simpler and less resource-intensive than whatever it is they are doing, so they clearly have a strategy that is designed to avoid losing too many users. The only other possibility is that they are rolling out the hotlinking policy to their servers gradually, so it's hitting people randomly depending on which server they are on.

The new T&Cs make it clear that hotlinking is not allowed on any tier except the $399/year one, which is ridiculous for anything short of professional photographers using it for business purposes. And even at that, they'd be getting a terrible service and really poor value for money.
    Hardly ridiculous - Photobucket aren't obliged to allow hot-linking or, indeed, provide any service at all. It's a business decision and you are free to use an alternative.

The ideal solution would be for forums to host the images themselves rather than expecting third parties to do so for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Hardly ridiculous - Photobucket aren't obliged to allow hot-linking or, indeed, provide any service at all. It's a business decision and you are free to use an alternative.

The ideal solution would be for forums to host the images themselves rather than expecting third parties to do so for free.
    now that sounds like a reasonable plan

That comes at a cost, which somebody has to cover.

Discuss it with Eddie, I am sure he will have a view......
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

That's true. What's ridiculous is the cost, for the service they are providing. If you know what you're doing, you can set up a pretty capable VPS and a CDN for less.

What's also ridiculous is the way they moved the goalposts without providing any notice, causing many years worth of information posted on forums to be lost in the abyss forever. People took their original T&Cs on good faith. Hotlinking was always allowed in the past. It's one of the main reason their service even exists to this day.

That's not the case. The Plus 100 plan also offers unlimited linking.

That's true. What's ridiculous is the cost, for the service they are providing. If you know what you're doing, you can set up a pretty capable VPS and a CDN for less.

What's also ridiculous is the way they moved the goalposts without providing any notice, causing many years worth of information posted on forums to be lost in the abyss forever. People took their original T&Cs on good faith. Hotlinking was always allowed in the past. It's one of the main reason their service even exists to this day.
    I don't think a longer notice would really help TBH. Whatever the grace period not many are going to go back over years of posts changing links.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    I also misinterpreted that wrongly at first Tony.
    Photobucket interprets 'linking' as say emailing someone a link to an image (which Plus100 allows).
    They classify posting (a copy of) the image on a forum by means of a link as 'Third Party Hosting'.

Can people whose images have been blocked still see the images on TZ?

Not sure if I'm blocked or not.

As Seiko7A38 has already pointed out, they refer to hotlinking as "3rd party hosting" in the TOS. It's only available on the Plus 500 account, which is why all the historic, hotlinked images have been replaced with a banner giving the URL of their p500 landing page (I won't do them the service of actually linking to it, not least because it tried to hijack my iPad with malware on my first visit).

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    I also misinterpreted that wrongly at first Tony.
    Photobucket interprets 'linking' as say emailing someone a link to an image (which Plus100 allows).
    They classify posting (a copy of) the image on a forum by means of a link as 'Third Party Hosting'.
    Good grief. Can you point me towards these definitions please?

Good grief. Can you point me towards these definitions please?
    It's somewhere in this lot, Tony: http://photobucket.com/terms (changed again on 5th July !!)

It may help to read in conjunction with this: http://blog.photobucket.com/please-r...s-photobucket/

There's a section there on 3rd Party Hosting Specifics further down the page ....

So possibly some good news for PB users who were paying for a (lower level) Plus account - that's assuming they survive until December 2018 (which seems extremely unlikely).
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 13th July 2017 at 00:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38 View Post
    It's somewhere in this lot, Tony: http://photobucket.com/terms (changed again on 5th July !!)

It may help to read in conjunction with this: http://blog.photobucket.com/please-r...s-photobucket/

There's a section there on 3rd Party Hosting Specifics further down

Thank you.