closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega SMPc micro adjusting clasp retro-fit?

Omega SMPc micro adjusting clasp retro-fit?

Hi I have a 2014 black ceramic SMP and wondered if anyone has retro-fitted a new style clasp with micro-adjustment?
    Is it even possible, is it available for the Bond bracelet or if it is will a 2014 bracelet not accept the new style clasp?
    Of course the bottom line how many kidneys need to be sold to get one or get it done!?

Thanks
    Neil.

Matt68 has done it on his SMPc.

I'm sure he'd be happy to send you a few pics. A very worthwhile upgrade for the £75 cost.

Craftsman
    I'd also be interested to know. When I asked my local AD about it, they insisted the micro-adjustment clasp was only available for the PO range.

I currently have a piece of felt stuck to the back of the watch just to get it to fit comfortably, the half link adjustment is either too tight in the summer or far too loose in the winter.

Another interested owner here. Because of the poor fit, (too tight in summer, perfect the rest of the time), I come out in a horrible rash! No issues with any of my other watches.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RossC View Post
    Matt68 has done it on his SMPc.

I'm sure he'd be happy to send you a few pics. A very worthwhile upgrade for the £75 cost.
    As Ross has said, a very worthwhile upgrade and surprisingly cheap!

The whole process took me less than half an hour, the main thing is to use a good quality 1.7mm - 1.8mm Screwdriver, also bare in mind the tiny pin retaining Screws have quite a strong thread lock, so i found it necessary to apply a fair amount of down pressure with the driver and then start slowly applying anti-clockwise pressure to avoid making a mess of the screw, also bare in mind the micro Clasp is longer so you need to take a full link out to compensate for this, be sure to use thread lock to the reapplied screws!

Good luck if you go ahead, its a must IMO

Matt

Craftsman
    Matt, do you happen to know the part number of the clasp? Just so I can ask the AD armed with the right info. Many thanks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by StackH View Post
    Matt, do you happen to know the part number of the clasp? Just so I can ask the AD armed with the right info. Many thanks.

Grand Master
    I fitted one of these recently to an older 1610/930 bracelet (needed the attaching pieces too, plus a bit of fiddling). I was impressed with the clasp, and it certainly addresses the adjustment problem nicely.

As for the retaining screws, my strong advice is to get a sctrewdriver that fits, and heat the bracelet briefly in a gas flame to soften the Loctite. I'm talking about 3-4 seconds, noit enough to discolour the steel! Beats fannying about with hairdriers etc! Folks seem to have an aversion to using naked flames thesedays but they do have their uses.

Trying to take them out without softening the Loctite isn`t wise IMO.

Paul

Question answered
    Matt, any pcs of the clasp, does it look any different to the original and are there any "compromises" so to speak or is it a part actually designed for the SMP Bond?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    Question answered
    Matt, any pcs of the clasp, does it look any different to the original and are there any "compromises" so to speak or is it a part actually designed for the SMP Bond?
    The pro's certainly out way the cons in my opinion, okay its a bulkier clasp, but my wrists swell in the heat, i do quite a manual job

So, in a nut shell your sacrificing the Standard slender clasp to gain a fair bit of adjustment with a some what bulkier clasp

As far as fitment, the micro clasp fits as well as the standard

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel View Post
    Question answered
    Sorry for the poor picture quality but i struggle in poor light, but should give you an idea!... here goes!

Hope this helps anyone deciding to go for the bigger clasp, like i said, bulkier but the amount of adjustment is excellent!

Master
    Blog Entries
    If I have the Bond bracelet with the screwed links and get this clasp, do I need anything else? Are the fittings to the bracelet the same for both clasps?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    If I have the Bond bracelet with the screwed links and get this clasp, do I need anything else? Are the fittings to the bracelet the same for both clasps?
    That is correct, you need nothing else, both Clasps fit straight on the bond bracelet, you only need additional parts when fitting the adjustable Clasp to the Speedy type bracelet!

Did someone say £75?
    Well worth a punt at that price, thanks Matt.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt68 View Post
    That is correct, you need nothing else, both Clasps fit straight on the bond bracelet, you only need additional parts when fitting the adjustable Clasp to the Speedy type bracelet!
    Thanks Matt68, much appreciated

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well, thanks to (amongst others) mjoranga for posting about this a lot, and matt68 for recent info, I got one from Omega Regent Street. Had to pay by bank transfer, price was £80.70 including postage and it arrived by RMSD 2 days after I paid

Took about half an hour to fit it - getting screws out was easy, dropped 2 of them which was rather nerve wracking but managed to find them, so all good. Took out a full size link as the clasp is rather longer than the one I replaced.

Overall, very happy with it. You lose the diver extension but I don't dive with this watch so no worries. I have spent the long weekend on the beach, birdwatching, sea kayaking and cycling so it is not a desk diver either. The clasp let me adjust the size easily - I find with a wet wrist I want a couple extra mm clearance - and fully slack it is good to sleep in too.

For any non-divers I recommend this clasp. I have an 8" wrist so the extra length is not an issue.

Grand Master
    I fitted one of these to an older 1610/930 bracelet, which required the adjacent links to be replaced too. I was impressed, definitely worth considering if you can't get the adjustment right.

At around £80 it's well worth doing on a SMPc.

As for the screws, use a flame to soften the threadlock, work on a tray and use a magnifier. I always use a tiny spot of threadlock on the screws when fitting, it's a sensible precaution to avoid themcoming loose.

Paul

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I fitted one of these to an older 1610/930 bracelet, which required the adjacent links to be replaced too. I was impressed, definitely worth considering if you can't get the adjustment right.

At around £80 it's well worth doing on a SMPc.

As for the screws, use a flame to soften the threadlock, work on a tray and use a magnifier. I always use a tiny spot of threadlock on the screws when fitting, it's a sensible precaution to avoid themcoming loose.

Paul
    I am tempted to get the end fittings to fix it to my Speedmaster-style bracelet, as I prefer the taper to the straight Bond, but am happy with what I have for now.

Your advice is very sensible, but I am so ham fisted I can't imagine using Loctite as well - relied on licking my finger tip to pick up the teeny tiny screws. I did work over a tray - plastic plate, my sensible wife insisted - so at least I am learning...

I still can't believe how cheap this clasp is - from a company that sells a NATO for, what, about £150??

Would this work for the older-style Bond bracelets, with the pins and sleeves instead of screws?

Master
    does anyone know if there is a difference between the seamaster and the seamaster chrono? im tempted to get a clasp for my chrono but dont know if the bracelets are the same .

for clarity, my chrono is the 44mm version.

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Would this work for the older-style Bond bracelets, with the pins and sleeves instead of screws?
    Anyone?

Been in touch with Omega about buying one of these, they will only supply and fit and only to a PO. They refused to sell me one as is. Where is everyone buying these?

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Been in touch with Omega about buying one of these, they will only supply and fit and only to a PO. They refused to sell me one as is. Where is everyone buying these?
    I bought mine here mate.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-OMEGA-...IAAOSwtnpXmOHu

He also sourced he relevant screws and pins etc that I needed.

All in all it ended up costing me a small sodding fortune to get an adjustable clasp fitted to my old 2255.80.00 but it's probably the best few quid I've spent in a long while and it's now my perfect 'holiday watch'.

I should add though that the actual fitting wasn't expensive at all and it was absolutely hassle-free and completed by an expert!!

Thank you again Paul!!

Quote Originally Posted by spuds View Post
    I bought mine here mate.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-OMEGA-...IAAOSwtnpXmOHu

He also sourced he relevant screws and pins etc that I needed.

All in all it ended up costing me a small sodding fortune to get an adjustable clasp fitted to my old 2255.80.00 but it's probably the best few quid I've spent in a long while and it's now my perfect 'holiday watch'.

I should add though that the actual fitting wasn't expensive at all and it was absolutely hassle-free and completed by an expert!!

Thank you again Paul!!
    WTF? I thought they were £80?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I fitted one of these recently to an older 1610/930 bracelet (needed the attaching pieces too, plus a bit of fiddling). I was impressed with the clasp, and it certainly addresses the adjustment problem nicely.

As for the retaining screws, my strong advice is to get a sctrewdriver that fits, and heat the bracelet briefly in a gas flame to soften the Loctite.

Paul
    What is the correct size screwdriver for a SMPc,
    Thanks

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sahara View Post
    What is the correct size screwdriver for a SMPc,
    Thanks
    I don`t know, I don`t own a SMPc. I picked the biggest one from the set that'll fit. Suggest you measure the diameter of the slot, I think the screwdriver's either 1.4mm or 1.6mm. Ideally, the blade should be trimmed with a stone to thicken it a bit, the slots are broader than normal watch screws.

Paul

Blog Entries
    ibought an adjustable clasp off a member here for my SMPc, fitted perfectly and very happy with it, now want to do the same with my PO 42mm but it's the smaller clasp, anyone know what the part number is for the smaller clasp if indeed they do one.