closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Where do I buys a new suit from

Where do I buys a new suit from

It's not as stupid as the title sounds, I've decided to buy a new suit but didn't want to do to London, I tried Lakeside and Bluewater, it was either own brands or Boss, it seems that Boss's market penetration is amazing their everywhere.
    I was hoping for Canali or Cornilliani or one of the other posh Italian, I don't like Hackett, can't find Paul Smith.

I live in north west Essex is it just a case of go to London now, have all of the Suit shops gone?

Burton's lad,
    Two bob a week for 3 months

Master
    Find a Slaters menswear branch new you, they have a huge selection.

Craftsman

Where do I buys a new suit from

If you don't buy suits regularly, then I would go get sized. I worked in retail for 12 years and can't tell you how many times I've seen people try on expensive suits that looked terrible as they didn't fit properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use eBay. Not new I know. But you get quality and designer siits for the price of a few pints.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Bought one recently from John Lewis. Very helpful/knowledgeable salesperson.

Own brand so probably below budget you're thinking of but up-market ranges also stocked.

Blog Entries
    I picked up a nice suit in the sale at Jaeger Outlet

z
    Last edited by zelig; 1st July 2017 at 16:29. Reason: typo

Master
    Have to second Slaters. £80 for a cheap polyester jobbie that will do for a one-off or for work, up to £500 or so for a really nice wool suit that'll last a good while.

I've had (and still have) cheap and expensive ones from them - Ted Baker was my last one and it looks the business for £250. It's "off the rack" of course but they do free alterations so it'll still look fitted, or close to it.

Master
    Slaters as mentioned, apparently their shop stock is all on the web so if it's oos on the web it won't be in their shops.
    HoF can be good if you're a regular size. Suitsdirect are not bad either for off the peg value.

Craftsman
    On the lower end budget I can personally recommend M&S, a lot of the guys at work buy from there too.

Couple of nice suits from Reiss and Suit Supply but best off buying in the sale, think Reiss have a sale on at the moment actually.

Ben Sherman in Shoreditch still have their 50% off made to measure suits, I have two already and can heartily recommend them, for Super 120 Merino wool with your choice of lining (and all the MTM details like working cuffs) for under £200!

Rob

Always Slaters for me.

Master
    The last suit I bought was for 6th form at school, and it was from Burtons, with the exception of a suit I had to buy because I didn't have one for a funeral a couple of years ago - went to Next and got the whole suit, waistcoat, shirt & tie for around £150, and it looked great (perhaps because it fitted really well), but since it has only been worn the once, I couldn't comment on longevity, but it certainly felt good quality. Got some "smart" black leather shoes for about £10 from some cheaply highstreet shoe shop, worn once, bobs your uncle!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    Ben Sherman in Shoreditch still have their 50% off made to measure suits, I have two already and can heartily recommend them, for Super 120 Merino wool with your choice of lining (and all the MTM details like working cuffs) for under £200!Rob
    That sounds a real bargain for MtM. I'd get one if there was a local store and I don't need one!

Master
    "You get bags more buzz at Burton". Anyone else remember the television ad from the early 1980s?

Slaters

How about Bicester village? Plenty of suit shops including boss.

Journeyman
    Charles Tyrwhitt is a good shout for a suit, especially if there's a sale on. I bought M&S suits for years but I think the quality's declined. I now pretty much buy only from CT - better quality and a better (sharper) cut IMHO. They are about the same as M&S's prices (depending what M&S range your looking at).

If you want to go cheap-bespoke I know some people use "a suit that fits" - web-based but they arrange local(ish) measuring and fitting. The tailoring itself is done abroad.

Quote Originally Posted by robcuk View Post
    Ben Sherman in Shoreditch still have their 50% off made to measure suits, I have two already and can heartily recommend them, for Super 120 Merino wool with your choice of lining (and all the MTM details like working cuffs) for under £200!

Rob
    I work very near there, might go and check it out.

Charles Tyrwhitt are worth a look, if you know your size there is usually some kind of sale on on their website.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    I picked up a nice suit in the sale at Jaeger Outlet

z
    +1
    I paid a visit to local branch near me, some real bargains to be had.

This popped up on my Instagram feed and I think @greyfoxblog who posts on here may have used them?
    (It's worth checking out his blog for good value menswear)

theartefact.com

They use good quality cloth and if you are not a ready to wear shape they might be a good option.

Funnily enough I just picked up one of the TM Lewin off the peg birdeye merino wool two button jobbies for 180 quid which, to my surprise, looks quite scent and fits really well. I've given up on off the peg suits ages ago but I reckon cuts and fabrics improved since, or my standards have slipped ;)
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Next.If you know your sizes just do it online.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ribena36 View Post
    How about Bicester village? Plenty of suit shops including boss.

This for me for off the peg. Loads of brands and loads of choice-almost guaranteed to find something that fits well with no/minimal alteration.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie View Post
    Charles Tyrwhitt is a good shout for a suit, especially if there's a sale on.
    If?

Craftsman
    My next buy will be from Slaters.

Craftsman
    I've found M&S to be one the better ones on the high street. I prefer a slimmer cut and their range ticks all the right boxes.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Burton's lad,
    Two bob a week for 3 months
    As a young man I bought one from Fifty-shilling Tailor. Polyester, blue with red pinstripes. Smart!

Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    It's not as stupid as the title sounds, I've decided to buy a new suit but didn't want to do to London, I tried Lakeside and Bluewater, it was either own brands or Boss, it seems that Boss's market penetration is amazing their everywhere.
    I was hoping for Canali or Cornilliani or one of the other posh Italian, I don't like Hackett, can't find Paul Smith.

I live in north west Essex is it just a case of go to London now, have all of the Suit shops gone?
    There is a PS outlet in The Royal Exchange by Bank. Most suits £250-350.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    If?
    i think I once managed to pay full price - quite an achievement!

It was a few days before Christmas when only the desperate / disorganised are shopping. I qualify on both counts.

Malford of London

http://www.malfordoflondon.com

For discounted designer schmutter.

You could also check out eBay - several sellers seem to get a regular supply of (NWOT) Gieves and Richard James suits. You might get a real bargain.

Nothing compares however to a suit made in decent Yorkshire cloth by a local tailor.

Craftsman
    I'd say m&s but don't own a suit anymore
    The last one I had was Armani bought it from Bicester village

Journeyman
    Paul Costello outlet shop at Freeport Braintree for me

Sent from my SM-G928F using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Last one I bought was from Debenhams, had a good range and sizes and quality not bad at all. Surprisingly good compared to some big names.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm_3 View Post
    Find a Slaters menswear branch new you, they have a huge selection.
    Don't think Ralphys place (Slaters) is south of the Leeds-Manchester line.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    If?
    😂😂😂😂

Suit supply is a good shop. Can go off the peg or full made to measure. They do alterations too.

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    +1
    I paid a visit to local branch near me, some real bargains to be had.
    +2 good durability at a reason price, shame they have gone bust and won't be around for long.

I've used 'A Suit That Fits' before, for my brothers wedding last year. Excellent Made to Measure service but as its all done abroad, it took around 2-months+ in total with around 3 separate fittings plus collection.
    The suit is spot on, quality wise but bit of a pain with the long lead time and multiple fittings as it was off Piccadilly Circus and I live near Swindon!

For more high street, always had great service/cost at Moss, other than that, M&S seem to have a decent range of Tailored fit these days.

I have the Swindon Outlet near me, Jaeger outlet is great among all the usual others...

Craftsman
    For the Canali, give Jacqui a call at her eponymous shop, Harvey's in Sevenoaks; great range and knowledge.

For everyday good value, have a look at Skopes online 100% wool suits; a bit mainstream but top notch cloth.

You can get made to measure at 50% off at Ben Sherman at the moment. Fantastic quality, great range of cloth & linings with all the options thrown in, including working cuff etc for under £300. Such good quality I have ordered 2 (1 to go) and ordered another for my son too.

Rob

I ended up buying a suit at William Hunt outlet store at Braintree, seemed just different enough and good value, paid £330 for a very nice Blue wool 3 piece.

Master
    I'll be watching this thread with interest. I need to get a few new suits. I'm short and (off late) skinny so readymade doesn't hack it for me. Any good tailors in the Glasgow area?

Suitsupply all the way

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 72bpm View Post
    I'll be watching this thread with interest. I need to get a few new suits. I'm short and (off late) skinny so readymade doesn't hack it for me. Any good tailors in the Glasgow area?
    Made to measure or off the peg??

if off the peg just pop into Ralph Slaters rear of shopping centre off Argyll Street, excellent collection and good service. the range is from budget to quite expensive in the Suit Room.

Craftsman
    Bought my last two from The Jaegar outlet. £180 for two suits! Should have RRP for both combined was £800

Craftsman
    Should also mention took them to a tailor also, legs shortened and tapered, arms taken up. All in all £250, couldn't moan at that

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmcb View Post
    Made to measure or off the peg??

if off the peg just pop into Ralph Slaters rear of shopping centre off Argyll Street, excellent collection and good service. the range is from budget to quite expensive in the Suit Room.
    Thanks, I am an in between size (short as well) so off the peg really don't suit me. I used to get my trousers stitched in India - good quality material and reasonably priced ( by UK standards) All are over 5 years old now and with regular wear getting on a bit. Any ideas on tailors in Glasgow? I have ordered 2 trousers from Benny Hamish - Let's see......
    Not many good reviews online, not much online presence to be honest