closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The price of razor blades - it's a joke

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SSTEEL View Post
    Thanks.
    Or of course the well recommended Edwin Jagger razor DE89 which is British........

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetorric View Post
    Or of course the well recommended Edwin Jagger razor DE89 which is British........
    Was about to say the same, it's what i got, only £22

When using a DE razor on workdays I've settled on the EJ rubber coated model (https://www.edwinjagger.co.uk/edwin-...-de-razor.html) as I really like the more secure grip.

At weekends if I stick to the DE razor I take things more leisurely with their larger bulbous model (https://www.edwinjagger.co.uk/edwin-...ety-razor.html), though I also like to use a straight razor on really lazy mornings - either a Dovo or a Thiers-Issard.

The only time I use a multi-blade now is when I am travelling abroad, which I do extensively for work. Clearly both DE and straight razors have to be in checked baggage.

Be aware that once you step into the world of DE razors you will accumulate a bucketload of associated kit - brushes, bowls, blades, soaps, creams, styptic pencils, alum blocks......which multiplies again with straight razors!

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Clearly both DE and straight razors have to be in checked baggage.
    Not true. A DE is classed as a "safety razor", perfectly fine to take in your carry on. I tend to check in the spare blades though.

Get a Razorpit blade "sharpener" and get 2 to 3 months from a Gillette Fusion cartridge - seriously.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    Not true. A DE is classed as a "safety razor", perfectly fine to take in your carry on. I tend to check in the spare blades though.
    My mistake - I nearly always just travel with hand baggage so I was assuming a DE razor would include the blade. Carrying the razor itself would be pretty useless for me without the blade, as I am not going to spend time trying to find blades in every city I visit

The blades need to be in checked baggage, for example BA list them under prohibited items, see here under "Sharp Objects": https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...d-restrictions

You can only take objects with a sharp point/edge which can be used to cause serious injury in your checked baggage (not on your person or in your hand baggage). Examples include:

razor blades

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    My mistake - I nearly always just travel with hand baggage so I was assuming a DE razor would include the blade. Carrying the razor itself would be pretty useless for me without the blade, as I am not going to spend time trying to find blades in every city I visit

The blades need to be in checked baggage, for example BA list them under prohibited items, see here under "Sharp Objects": https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...d-restrictions
    It also mentions that disposable and cartridge razors are ok, so safe to assume a de razor with a blade fitted is not

The american TSA site specifically says that DE razors can only be carried without a blade fitted
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...-without-blade

Makes sense really, it might be a 'safety razor' but it only takes 2 secs to unscrew a handle and remove a nasty double edge razor. You may as well say stanley knives are OK, so long as the blade is retracted.

So either put your blades in checked baggage, buy some when you get there, or post some ahead. Alternately, take disposables or a mach3/sensor
    Last edited by Brighty; 4th July 2017 at 13:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    So either put your blades in checked baggage, buy some when you get there, or post some ahead. Alternately, take disposables or a mach3/sensor
    If I have hold luggage I take my DE, if it is hand baggage then I like the Orange Gilette disposables.

Craftsman
    Use a Merkur 34C I've had for about 10 years and bought a pack of 200 personna blades years ago that I still have plenty of.

Must have averaged about a tenner a year shaving since moving to DE.

Time wise it doesn't take any longer than normal, I don't even use soap anymore just shave in the shower.

Anyone who is holding off for fear of it being difficult or time consuming it really isn't. Better shave and hardly any chance of cuts with the 34C.

I went DE a few years ago and didn't look back.

That was until I used a Gillette Fusion one day. Anyone who thinks that DE gives a better shave is deluded.

The Gillette is faster, closer and requires fewer passes. Sure, the experience is not the same as DE, but I can shave in the shower just using the shampoo I'm washing my hair with in a tenth of the time it takes to shave with a DE in front of the mirror.

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Try cornerstone or bearded colonel. Good quality stuff and blades are much better and cheaper than Gillette
    May be cheaper but I didn't like the shave they gave anywhere near as much as Gilette. Style over substance if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    May be cheaper but I didn't like the shave they gave anywhere near as much as Gilette. Style over substance if you ask me.
    The Cornerstone Razor has now been redesigned, completely different Handle and the Blade now has a bigger gap between the blades for better glide, to be fair they listened to Customer feedback and have done something about it !

Cheers

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    The Cornerstone Razor has now been redesigned, completely different Handle and the Blade now has a bigger gap between the blades for better glide, to be fair they listened to Customer feedback and have done something about it !

Cheers

Wayne
    Interesting. Liked the handle but I did find it dragged a little and blocked up quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    Anyone who thinks that DE gives a better shave is deluded.
    Deluded is perhaps a little harsh?

For some "better" may be about speed and convenience, wheres for others it's about the overall quality of the experience.

If I think about watches, a £1.99 quartz watch is likely more accurate than my Rolex - does that make it better? Again, it all depends on perspective.

Anyone who thinks that DE gives a better shave is deluded.
    DE shaving is 80% technique.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Yeah, silly prices. It's a loss leader on the handle, like printers, sell them for next to nothing, knowing you then have the consumer tied in to you using your overpriced blades/ink/whatever.

Buy yourself a DE razor for £20-30 and then enjoy paying pennies per blade forever more
    This was the main driving force me going back to DE.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    Feedback I see via their FB adverts seems to indicate the handle is worse and a lot more slippery. Their (kind of dumb) reply is to dry it before use.

Craftsman
    I went DE a few years ago and didn't look back.

That was until I used a Gillette Fusion one day. Anyone who thinks that DE gives a better shave is deluded.

The Gillette is faster, closer and requires fewer passes. Sure, the experience is not the same as DE, but I can shave in the shower just using the shampoo I'm washing my hair with in a tenth of the time it takes to shave with a DE in front of the mirror.
    Deluded seems a bit arrogant,

Still you are entitled to your opinion however misguided............