closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Advice on modding tools....

Advice on modding tools....

Good day all, I am going to attempt my very first Seiko mod of the SKX.....have ordered dial, sapphire crystal and chapter ring from Dagaz, and set of hands and date wheel from Yokobies.

Now the question is, watched a few YouTube videos but would like comment on whether to use the lever type hand removers or the plunger/puller type thing?

Secondly, to re-affix the hand set, recommendations? Use the pencil like thing with nylon tip, or the bar shaped implement with a small hole at the end which covers the pinion. I will be using this on a new watch so wish to restrict the potential chance of damage to a minimum.....thanks in advance.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Watch hand pullers work well, just be VERY careful if the dial is glossy and not matt always cover matt dial before hand pulling.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim63 View Post
    Good day all, I am going to attempt my very first Seiko mod of the SKX.....have ordered dial, sapphire crystal and chapter ring from Dagaz, and set of hands and date wheel from Yokobies.

Now the question is, watched a few YouTube videos but would like comment on whether to use the lever type hand removers or the plunger/puller type thing?

Secondly, to re-affix the hand set, recommendations? Use the pencil like thing with nylon tip, or the bar shaped implement with a small hole at the end which covers the pinion. I will be using this on a new watch so wish to restrict the potential chance of damage to a minimum.....thanks in advance.
    Tim,

I have hand setting tools - pictured here

...you can borrow them if you like - just let me know.

z

Master
    Blog Entries
    These are good>>>

I have used both hand levers and "Presto" hand pullers.
    I have a slight preference for levers, using polyethylene bag to protect the dial. That's the technique I was taught at the BHI and I find it gives more feel/ control.

If you use the hand pullers, beware that the cheap chinese copies are not as good as the Bergeon Presto (I have both). The bergeon tool is much more precise. On the chinese version I have the jaws don't align perfectly, not what you want to work on something as delicate as watch hands.

So to keep it cheap but do a good job, this http://redroosteruk.com/watch-hands-...rs-lever-type/
    And a poly bag will do just fine

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975 View Post
    These are good>>>

Seconded, very good tool

I used to use the ink tube from inside a bic pen , works really well.

Many thanks to all for advice and recommendations. In my enthusiasm the case back press/crystal presser has arrived before the bloody watch! A few more bits on the way...

A much braver man than I

Sent from my SM-G900F using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Hand levers every time for removal, gives far more control.

For refitting, I position the hand using a piece of rodico,then press the hand on loosely using a piece of pegwood sharpened into a screwdriver blade shape. Sometimes I use two to press the hand lightly on. When I'm happy with the synchronisation of the hand with the date change etc I press it home using the plastic-tipped hand tool.

For seconds hands I use a piece of pegwood cut to give a nice flat end.

I've never seen the need to spend money on anything more elaborate; skill/technique is far more important and that takes practice to develop. If fitting replacement hands it may be necessary to broach them out very slightly to make them fit; a set of Bergeon fine broaches are essential for this.

Paul

Many thanks for all the solid advice. Whilst I am quite happy with the final look I realise I do not have sufficient manual dexterity! I bought a nice big tray to sit on my desk which proved to be a Godsend....I found moving from glasses to loupe I ended up dropping bits...or moving my hands across the desk and knocking items over. The YouTube tutorials are good......but like in the Haynes manuals....the famous phrase, 'give it a short sharp tap and the xxxx will drop out'.....nah! The second hand was a nightmare. But all secured now and I will get it pressure tested.
    So sapphire crystal, new dial, bezel insert and hand set. Decided against changing the chapter ring and the date wheel.
    The watch is best not looked at too closely.....!

[IMG][/IMG]

Blog Entries
    Congratulations. Looks pretty good to me.
    Beware though, it can be addictive & never ending ...

z

Sent from a phone using this TZ-UK app

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Congratulations. Looks pretty good to me.
    Beware though, it can be addictive & never ending ...

z

Sent from a phone using this TZ-UK app
    Cheers Darren....just changed the very rattley jubilee bracelet for a tan leather one!

Blog Entries
    Result! Congratulations.

Bit late but would have suggested a dial protector - nice job anyway!

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by .olli. View Post
    I have used both hand levers and "Presto" hand pullers.
    I have a slight preference for levers, using polyethylene bag to protect the dial. That's the technique I was taught at the BHI and I find it gives more feel/ control.

If you use the hand pullers, beware that the cheap chinese copies are not as good as the Bergeon Presto (I have both). The bergeon tool is much more precise. On the chinese version I have the jaws don't align perfectly, not what you want to work on something as delicate as watch hands.

So to keep it cheap but do a good job, this http://redroosteruk.com/watch-hands-...rs-lever-type/
    And a poly bag will do just fine

- - - Updated - - -

Seconded, very good tool
    I always use hand levers, I`m not a fan of the presto type tools. I also use the Bergeon dial protectors, I prefer them to a thick plastic bag. However, there's an argument for using the presto tool to get sweep seconds hands off separately provided a plastic protector is placed between the seconds hand and minute hand. This ensures that the force is exerted on the pipe of the hand and thus makes it less likely to pull out. I need to buy a new presto for this purpose, and it'll have to be a good one.

I`ve never tried the press tool for refitting hands, I use the hand held tools and initially I fit the hands loosely using two pieces of pegwood shaped to a screwdriver profile at the end.

Hand fitting can be easy or difficult depending on several factors. Replacement hands are often a tad too tight to fit and the holes need broaching out very carefully. Never apply too much force to persuade a tight hand to fit, there are various ways it could end badly.

Paul