closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Le Tour 2017

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    On Aru, I do feel sorry for him. He needs a better team and better management; with those he'd be a major threat.
    Aru had a very good team that has been decimated since the beginning of the Tour. Team reputation in terms of ethics is extremely questionable ( and that of course includes Vino) but it was strong.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    What Froome did today supposed by Landa may define the tour this year.

The result of the GC is still open but he did an amazing job of not ceding it today

Rest day very well earned

Craftsman
    That's supported by Landa

Sorry for post error

Blog Entries
    Very happy with Mollema's victory today. His first in the TdF. After Contador's entree in that team, Mollema's role is a lot easier for him now, according to his own words this evening on Dutch TV.

M

This Tour just keeps getting more compelling. Mikel Landa is a machine on the climbs and Froome has a huge amount to thank him for - as he did in the post-stage interviews. Such a shame that Cavendish, Porte, Sagan and Thomas are no longer in the race.
    Last edited by Skier; 17th July 2017 at 08:30.

Master
    Yes, gutsy ride by Froome today and Landa continues to look immense - A bit like Froome did when supporting Wiggo in 2012.

Shame the crowd can't stop booing but hopefully it drives CF on.

Quote Originally Posted by benny.c View Post
    Yes, gutsy ride by Froome today and Landa continues to look immense - A bit like Froome did when supporting Wiggo in 2012.

Shame the crowd can't stop booing but hopefully it drives CF on.
    They're just so cliche French.

Having seen the scenery shots from the helicopters over the course of the tour, I'm with Clarkson on this. "France is a brilliant country. Unfortunately it is full of French people."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    "France is a brilliant country. Unfortunately it is full of French people."
    The French say the same of England.

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Why would they think it's brilliant?

Quote Originally Posted by seffrican View Post
    Well, let's swap then.

They can have Swindon, Staines and Wolverhampton. We get Nice, Biarritz and the Dordogne.

Well, let's swap then.

They can have Swindon, Staines and Wolverhampton. We get Nice, Biarritz and the Dordogne.
    The women can stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    The women can stay.
    OK, we'll bring razors.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    That's supported by Landa
    Yes, very much ´leading by Landa´.
    With Valverde out and Contador not up for the lead, the Spanish press is willing him to another escape of his own and a Tour win. Maybe next year.

VERY happy for Mollema. He is such a dogged hard worker and this Tour has saved Contador several times now.

Waiting for AG2R and Bardet to try a coupe.
    Barguil looks set for the mountain jersey and Matthews is still my favorite for the green.

All in all already a Tour to remember. The organisers realy designed this edition very well.
    This year the riers are showing like they are made from realy sturdy stuff. It is ever so clear how hard they work, how much they ALL suffer, how they fight to recover, how right on the edge it all is; both fysically and the grip. They look so human this year; fallible, vulnerable. The determained tougness of the incredibly suffering Jacob Fugelsand, who HAD to abandon was epic. I am in awe.
    I mean; Barguil ´fractured´ his pelvis end of April THIS year.

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla View Post
    Waiting for AG2R and Bardet to try a coupe.
    While they'd probably win, I think that's against the rules.

They might have some trouble fitting their bikes in, anyway. That's why the teams tend to use estates.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    They might have some trouble fitting their bikes in, anyway.
    All teams use roof racks.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    With the riders ´rested´ they will have a relatively uncomplicated stage tomorrow. Great for escapes and try for an etappe win for teams sofar without. Sky team should have no trouble keeping Froome in the yellow.

Wednesday and Thursday are different cases and p.e. Simon Yates is set to have a go at it Wednesday and even though 7th., he is a mere 2 minutes behind, which is nothing in the Alps.
    Columbian climber Uran is only 29 seconds behind and what he can win in the mountains he, unlike Quintana, does not loose as easily in a time trials.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    And another very close finish.
    With this day being such a SunWeb materpiece the win is very just imo. AGAIN no luck for Boasson Hagen.
    SunWeb doing great business with another etappe win, the mountain jersey on the shoulders and the sprint one within reach. Matthews does ever so much beter in the mountains then Kittel.

As expected no change in the GC. That may very well be different over the next two days.
    Uran again very strong. He had virtually no team support the whole day and was on his own in the last group break. Expecting something from him in the Alps.

And another very close finish.
    With this day being such a SunWeb materpiece the win is very just imo. AGAIN no luck for Boasson Hagen.
    SunWeb doing great business with another etappe win, the mountain jersey on the shoulders and the sprint one within reach. Matthews does ever so much beter in the mountains then Kittel.

As expected no change in the GC. That may very well be different over the next two days.
    Uran again very strong. He had virtually no team support the whole day and was on his own in the last group break. Expecting something from him in the Alps.
    Dan Martin lost nearly a minute on GC due to the crosswinds and dropped from 5th to 7th - I'd say that qualifies as a change! ;)

Poor positioning through the last couple of corners cost EBH. Surely he should have been glued to Matthews' wheel, given the composition of that front group?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Matthews won the 20 points at Allemont, putting him at only 9 of Kittel.
    Kittel later pulled out of Le Tour. Perhaps because of fall early in the race.
    This puts Matthews firmly in the green.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    and yet another thrilling day.

Whether Froome is not so strong as last year or that the rest is stronger!? Yes Froome rode excellent in the end game today, but on the shoulders of several team mates pulling the train.

Both Bardet and Uran are a mere 27" behind Froome! and that with another Alp day tomorrow!! and they will have today´s effort in the legs...

Bardet had a no doubt very motivating bonus surprise with president Mahon waiting for him and dedicating personal attention.

Barguil, the leader in the mountain ranking, in 10th GC is rather impressive.

Cool detail for me today was that the circus passed the doors of the Circuit de Serre Chevallier; home of the yearly DAF ice race :-)

Show of strength from Team Sky today, comfortably in control of GC and Team classifications.
    With an uphill finish tomorrow and then a time trial it's Froome's to lose. In fact I can't see any of the jerseys changing now.

Anyone else think Dirty Berty had a special steak last night?

Master
    Did you see Kwiatkowski's legs sieze up following the attacks in the last 6K up the Galibier?
    ITV4 commentators kept saying he would be spelled, only for his replacement to blow up!

Froome did seem to have some legs at the end though grabbing those points for 4 Th?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Show of strength from Team Sky today, comfortably in control of GC and Team classifications.
    I agree. Basically what we wrote before Le Tour started.

With an uphill finish tomorrow and then a time trial it's Froome's to lose. In fact I can't see any of the jerseys changing now.
    Well yes but... still hoping that Uran will pull an ace out of his sleeve tomorrow.
    No good if Bardet gains 2 minutes. Uran is the only one of these two who will be at least in same universe as Froome in the TT.

Apart from the yellow, Sunday looks to be less predictable for once with most of the top sprinters out.

No good if Bardet gains 2 minutes. Uran is the only one of these two who will be at least in same universe as Froome in the TT.
    Obviously it's a different TT at the other end of three weeks of racing but Bardet may disagree with you.
    Dusseldorf results:
    Froome +12s
    Bardet +51s
    Uran +63s

Col du Télégraphe and Col du Galibier today.
    I was up there myself last week albeit on an R1200GS LC

Col d’Izoard tomorrow we did that too.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Obviously it's a different TT at the other end of three weeks of racing but Bardet may disagree with you.
    Dusseldorf results:
    Froome +12s
    Bardet +51s
    Uran +63s
    Thank you; point taken.

AN ESCAPE BY EITHER THEN :-)

I suspect tomorrow's final climb will be something special as those with ambitions in the GC will have to attack and Froome (and any Sky riders with him) will have to respond. It should be compelling viewing.

Did you all see Dave Brailsford being interviewed post today's stage? Hit by a barrier as it was lowered. Can't find a video yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    I suspect tomorrow's final climb will be something special as those with ambitions in the GC will have to attack and Froome (and any Sky riders with him) will have to respond. It should be compelling viewing.
    It certainly will. But if Sky get over the Col de Vars with Landa, Kwiatkowski and maybe one other in good form, they will be able to control it all, probably by going hard from the bottom of Isoard. IF they can, they'll make the TT a formality.

Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Did you all see Dave Brailsford being interviewed post today's stage? Hit by a barrier as it was lowered. Can't find a video yet.
    It's on ITV4 twitter.
    Let's see if this works...

https://twitter.com/itvcycling/statu...03548930260992
    Last edited by MakeColdplayHistory; 19th July 2017 at 21:54.

Superb from Barguil - great to see him get the stage.
    Job done by Sky.

Master
    job done only when they cross the finish line

Great to see EBH get a stage.
    I wouldn't rule him out in Paris either.

And Sylvain Chavanel finished sixth, his highest placing on this year's - and his 17th - Tour.

Chapeau!

Master
    Great to see EBH get a stage.
    I wouldn't rule him out in Paris either.
    I would.

He got lucky yesterday, in a group of non sprinters.

I like him, but he's no match for Matthews et al in a sprint

Well done Chris Froome, the french crowds behaviour was disgusting,will he now get the recognition he deserves

Master
    Anyway, yes well done Froome. I thought he was very popular in France, so I think the booing was more to do with him stopping Barguil (a Frenchman) winning...

I would have liked to see Landa on the GC podium given his form and sacrifice - oh for a single second...

Great result for Froome, puts him in the list of all time greats.

i am very pleased

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master
    Imagine if landa did the unthinkable and took a second tomorrow...

Would the French let him leave the country alive?!

Le Tour 2017

Froome is a great rider. Every time a rider asked questions he responded. But if it was a good tour it is not down to him as for me it is a hollow victory for Froome. The real winner is the Sky team which was outstanding; Aro, Uran or Bardet would have won with them.
    It is true though that the Sky team is not very popular because there are suspicions hanging over their heads (at least from a few years back, nothing was mentioned this year).
    But Froome lack of panache is what people have against him. He is only the 6th rider since 1922 to win the TdF without winning a stage. The last one was Greg Lemond in 1990. [technically there was also 2006 as the actual winner F Landis was disqualified and the win went to O Ribeiro].
    I am glad however to see that he has become popular here. His first years after he moved from the Kenyan team to ride for the UK made him a poor and distant second behind BW in people's hearts.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Wish Landu would attack Bardot for that extra second or two, would love to see the French kick up after booing Froome and tbh he should of had the time penalty applied...

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Wish Landu would attack Bardot for that extra second or two, would love to see the French kick up after booing Froome and tbh he should of had the time penalty applied...
    Yeah that would set the cat among the pigeons

I think that after such a great achievement Frooms victory would be all over the BBC, but no, as they don't cover the TDF it just gets a mention, behind the Woman's cricket world cup and Golf

Maybe if the BBC did promote him he would stand a chance of SPOTY, then people would realise what he has done
    Last edited by adrianw; 24th July 2017 at 11:47.

Chapeau Chris Froome, Team Sky and all the riders who completed a phenomenal tour.

adrianw - I agree with you that the BBC Sport website is appalling at detailing sport that isn't covered by the BBC.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Froome is a great rider. Every time a rider asked questions he responded. But if it was a good tour it is not down to him as for me it is a hollow victory for Froome. The real winner is the Sky team which was outstanding; Aro, Uran or Bardet would have won with them.
    It is true though that the Sky team is not very popular because there are suspicions hanging over their heads (at least from a few years back, nothing was mentioned this year).
    But Froome lack of panache is what people have against him. He is only the 6th rider since 1922 to win the TdF without winning a stage. The last one was Greg Lemond in 1990. [technically there was also 2006 as the actual winner F Landis was disqualified and the win went to O Ribeiro].
    I am glad however to see that he has become popular here. His first years after he moved from the Kenyan team to ride for the UK made him a poor and distant second behind BW in people's hearts.
    Never mind ´suspicions´; it is simply them having the mega bugget to simply buy the best riders and make a team that puts all very small in the shadow.
    Yes and Froome has very little that makes him stand out as a personality. That is a very GOOD thing imo but it does not make for a popular star.
    His not winning a stage and the super team supporting his win is the ´cherry´ on that unpopular cake.

All in all a great race this year even if the end result was not thrilling and as all to predictable before the start.

Next La Vuelta.

Never mind ´suspicions´; it is simply them having the mega bugget to simply buy the best riders and make a team that puts all very small in the shadow.
    Yes and Froome has very little that makes him stand out as a personality. That is a very GOOD thing imo but it does not make for a popular star.
    His not winning a stage and the super team supporting his win is the ´cherry´ on that unpopular cake.

All in all a great race this year even if the end result was not thrilling and as all to predictable before the start.

Next La Vuelta.

I do agree in part with the first statement, but Sky aren't light years ahead in terms of budget from some of the other teams... looking at the figures for last year:

1. Team Sky: €35M
    2. Katusha: €32M
    3. BMC: €28M
    4. Tinkoff: €25M
    5. Astana: €20M

What on earth have Katusha been doing with all that cash for the past few years? BMC are even worse - take GvA out of the equation and what have they achieved?
    So yes, Sky have loads of cash but I'd say they got a pretty good RoI... I'm sure I also read somewhere that they spent a smaller proportion of the budget on wages than most teams favouring investment on training and 'marginal gains'. Also, they haven't gone shopping for all the big names... Froome was going nowhere at Barloworld, the British riders mostly came through BC route, Henao was a neo-pro, Nieve and Poewls were both cheap. It's only really Landa and Kwiatkowski that have been champagne signings.

It does, however put Uran's success in focus given that in the same period, Cannondale's budget was about €10M. Really pleased that they've had some success given how many times they've come close.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    but Sky aren't light years ahead in terms of budget from some of the other teams... looking at the figures for last year:
    They are almost 10% up on number 2 and already up 75% from number 5 on this list, so envy in that respect is rather a given. The budget priorities make it worse still as the riders do have the best, most trick, stuff of all. It is an easy observation; fact.
    Now, that does NOT equal result; for that the riders still have to work, but the team does stand out in front. Events are theirs to loose and if they win, it confirms the concensus.
    Not rocket science and being the hiighest tree, they also catch the most wind about anything that can possibly be construed in a negative way. Not illegal does not necessarily mean legal or fair even when only marginal. Sometimes gripes about the marginal gains that rub the rest the wrong way are understandable.

It does, however put Uran's success in focus given that in the same period, Cannondale's budget was about €10M. Really pleased that they've had some success given how many times they've come close.
    Sunweb-Giant did not do half bad either!

Also worth noting that Sky very definitely target Le Tour.
    They are not top when it comes to UCI points per $ spent.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Also worth noting that Sky very definitely target Le Tour.
    With La Vuelta second.

Next year maybe all three?

They are not top when it comes to UCI points per $ spent.
    Sky aim for the high publicity event. As such bang for the buck.
    Makes sense marketing wise.

Less so from a traditional cycling team UCI pov. and again different for the most tradional teams. Those two also do the classics and especially the latter also the around the church for cash ones. That again is, both, also a budget thing.

All in all Sky does it differently with a different goal. Maybe not the most popular team therefor but they do push/pull the sport forward.

Meanwhile SunWeb-Giant have made public that Ton Dumoulin is not participating in La Vuelta but concentrating on the World Championship in Bergen instead.