closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Backpacking with a Rolex SubC Date

Master
    Blog Entries
    My wife and I took a year off to go backpacking, it was fantastic. All the better to do when you are a bit older.

I can't seriously think you are asking this question.

I can only assume you plan to do the journey first class and not get off the tourist trail.

A cheap G shock is all you need. If you plan to visit any poor areas don't flash your western wealth.

Master
    For all the reasons previously stated, in your position I would get the Sub for my 31st birthday and as a welcome home present.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lawler View Post
    Yeah I am planning on taking my DSLR and few lenses but it's insured and I want to take as many pictures as possible!

I think you need a rethink ... if you want to go backpacking first rule leave all your expensive trinkets at home. They will only weigh you down and attract trouble.

One of th great things about our year off was the simplicity of the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Leave it at home. Take a casio or G shock.
    What he said!

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    You'd wear a rolex somewhere like Nairobi?
    id give nairobi a wide birth in any event, even with a casio :)))
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I am a doddery old 68 year old, so very muggable and I spend 24 weeks every year travelling around Europe and I always wear a Rolex. This year when abroad, I have worn a 16710 GMT, a Zenith Daytona and a Freccione Explorer11. I only take the one watch and wear it 24/7.

If you are that worried, you got to ask the simple question - are you really suited to wear a Rolex. Why buy something and then worry about it.
    If you equate this to backpacking in South America are you really suited to posting on a forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    I wouldn't take it backpacking, backpacked all around europe and you tend to go to places that are off the beaten track and meet up with a lot of different people, often locals too. I know I had a few times where I was worried about where I was and who I was with. However 99% of these people are decent humans but because you are more exposed to risky situations as a backpacker your chances of running into someone unsavory are much higher, so walking around with £6k strapped to your wrist isn't the most sensible thing to do. I would take a G-shock and bank the watches.
    And as people have mentioned it's not the loss itself that would worry me as much as been seriously injured or killed in a mugging/shooting.

exactly. its not just about the (potential) loss to yourself

its also about wearing something appropriate

having a wrist clock that is patently worth more than some local people could hope to earn in their lifetime or two is a bit unnecessary / gauche in my book ( struggling to find the right words here , ymmv . i also realise my personal opinion and experience isn't the only valid one on here )

i wear and enjoy valuables, but when I'm travelling they are not on show 98% of the time

Master
    Your best bet is to buy it and leave it at home, knowing that there is something to look forward to on your return.

You don't need to put it in a winder. Do you think that when a watch movement is assembled and that by the time it is sold by a dealer it hasn't been stored for more than a year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

id give nairobi a wide birth in any event, even with a casio :)))
    For the rest of this year, I'd agree!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Never take anything execssively valuable backpacking regardless of country. A cheap laptop would be my limit.

Not many occasions when a Rolex isn't suitable. But backpacking I just couldn't be bothered with the worry. Buy one when (if?) you return.

Master
    I would agree with this, very few muggers will attack a fit 30 year old.

However if the OP goes down this route, he should check his insurance. Most insist you wear it all the time when abroad and also have a limit of 45 days.
    Clueless

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Sign of times here at TZ-UK
    Threads like this do serve a useful purpose in flagging-up posters who fall so far below the threshold that "the list" is the best place for them.

Master
    Look conspicuously poor on your travels. Smallish cheap smartphone, compact Gshock. In ear headphones.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

exactly. its not just about the (potential) loss to yourself

its also about wearing something appropriate

having a wrist clock that is patently worth more than some local people could hope to earn in their lifetime or two is a bit unnecessary / gauche in my book ( struggling to find the right words here , ymmv . i also realise my personal opinion and experience isn't the only valid one on here )

i wear and enjoy valuables, but when I'm travelling they are not on show 98% of the time
    Yes even from a taste/sensitive to other people's place in life, I am guessing that the majority of people on here are probably above average in earnings and capital, and especially the ones with large collections of Rolex Patek Omega ALS etc. I think when you travel somewhere very poor flashing your wealth about is a little bit in poor taste, as others have mentioned a Rolex sub is more than a year's salary maybe even 10 years in some countries and discounting the risk to yourself I myself would feel more comfortable blending in by not having ostentatious displays of wealth on my wrist.

Heck even in the UK there are places I would feel self conscious wearing a Rolex Sub, I know there is a lot of "who cares what others think of you" on these forums but I feel you have to think about these things, they are after all displays of wealth to most people (Most here are not in that group but we are a minority I think) and as such the wearing of them should be a considered thing at times. When I worked in Canary Wharf for instance wouldn't think twice about wearing an expensive watch, when doing work for poor people in council housing which is where I do some work now, no not going to do it, likewise backpacking amongst poor students no flash watch.

What a shitty thing to have to consider. You want a Rolex for your 30th so you should be able to go ahead and buy it and wear it on your travels, putting some life changing milage on its ownership. If I were in your shoes, I would really struggle with making a decision based on the potential of some idiot mugging me and I can't honestly say which side would win the debate. If the money is there before you go, definitely buy it to get the jump on the inevitable price increases that will take place whilst you are away. If you have to tone down the watch to avoid being noticed, it seems to me that you will have to tone down everything so as to avoid being noticed at all. How about growing a beard, obtaining a nasty looking facial scar, bulking up at the gym, having some gold teeth installed and affecting a thousand yard stare and intermittent manic grin before going? That should see the crazies steer clear!

I wish someone had told that to the guy who mugged me when I was a fit 28 year old. But perhaps he thought his being the one owning a knife was the important issue. To be fair to him, that was what was on my mind, too, as I handed over my bank card and phone.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect View Post
    What a shitty thing to have to consider. You want a Rolex for your 30th so you should be able to go ahead and buy it and wear it on your travels, putting some life changing milage on its ownership. If I were in your shoes, I would really struggle with making a decision based on the potential of some idiot mugging me and I can't honestly say which side would win the debate. If the money is there before you go, definitely buy it to get the jump on the inevitable price increases that will take place whilst you are away. If you have to tone down the watch to avoid being noticed, it seems to me that you will have to tone down everything so as to avoid being noticed at all. How about growing a beard, obtaining a nasty looking facial scar, bulking up at the gym, having some gold teeth installed and affecting a thousand yard stare and intermittent manic grin before going? That should see the crazies steer clear!
    Ha. I'll consider this.

But seriously it sounded a bit ridiculous when thinking about it but just wanted a soundboard so thanks for that!

I agree that it is a bad move to flash an expensive watch whilst travelling and is only asking for trouble.

Just need to decide whether to buy one before the possible price rise or just save the money and get one on my return (unless I get the travelling bug and fund this instead!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lawler View Post
    Ha. I'll consider this.

But seriously it sounded a bit ridiculous when thinking about it but just wanted a soundboard so thanks for that!

I agree that it is a bad move to flash an expensive watch whilst travelling and is only asking for trouble.

Just need to decide whether to buy one before the possible price rise or just save the money and get one on my return (unless I get the travelling bug and fund this instead!)

If you haven't travelled independently before I would wait until your return. That bug can bite even deeper than the watch bug. And you may witness so much poverty that the sub seems an extravagance.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

- Buy the Submariner.
    - Leave it at home.
    - Take a cheap watch and a couple of spare Nato straps.
    - Enjoy the experience of the trip.

Journeyman
    There's a romanticised view of travelling with a watch that you'll keep for life and I do get that. But when you take a wrong turn into an alley in a slightly dodgy city and need to walk past a group of people, you'll think to yourself "I wish I'd left the flipping Rolex at home". Take a G Shock, still have a watch you can look at and remember all the great adventures but none of the worry.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I have faced this decision a few times and it very much depends on where I plan to stay/ activities.

I wore my Omega in Marrakech, all over Nepal, Mombasa, China (very rural + Beijing), Delhi, and a few other places I forget.

I felt very uncomfortable in Mombasa in particular, ended up taking it off and hiding it. And I spend a lot of time in that region. In Nepal it felt fine, ditto Marrakech. That said, I am sensible, not out late at night or intoxicated or generally making myself an easy target. I would not dream of taking it to parts of South America, especially having met a girl there with many stitches and tendon damage where a mugger just sliced her handbag clean off, cutting her deeply "by accident" during the process. And that was middle of the day, in a busy area of Quito.

Now I leave my nice watches at home for treks, Morocco trips, etc. I didn't take it to Cambodia, it just felt wrong when so many have so little.

Two Sub travel anecdotes:
    One mate lived in Kenya for a while and is happy wearing his Sub in Mombasa markets!
    Another spent some time in Nepal and gifted his Sub to a Sherpa family!

Overall, if you're truly backpacking, I'd leave it behind. I wear a £10 Casio on some trips and get a local phone/ SIM. It's amazing how much you can either blend in or stick out just by appearance and it even helps looking slightly dishevelled! My better half on the other hand is always a magnet for attention given her pale skin and blonde hair, it's like being with a celebrity some times!

Get a seiko skx. Take that, and buy the sub when you get back. You end up with 2 keepers that between them, cover most situations.

Master
    I've got the perfect solution if you consider that taking your SubC is too risky, but don't want to have it wasting away back home - give it to me for a year!!! I'll make sure it's kept running the entire time you are away, and could even check that its still water resistant a few times! No???

Craftsman
    Unless I am travelling to larger developed cities, I would not wear my expensive watches, and instead opting for a Seiko.

I may be over-cautious, but depending on where I am, I would even consider downgrading the look of the watch, replacing the bracelet with a nato or rubber strap. You don't want to attract unnecessary trouble. When a mugger comes, he may go for anything if he thinks it is expensive.

Journeyman
    I'd leave it - as someone has already pointed out, in many parts of the world it's several YEARS worth of salary, and taste argument aside, there are people who will happily exchange you for complete financial security... Best case a severe beating, worst case a life altering or life ending episode. Remote chance? Maybe - but not worth the risk.

I wouldn't even go with a Steinhart just in case it's mistaken identity :)

I'd get a Suunto Core - besides the solid anonymity argument, you've got far more useful capabilities for travel than a standard mechanical, stuff like the weather warnings, world time, alarms, depth and altimeter etc. The only reason I'd suggest the Suunto over a G Shock is it's self service and you can change the battery with a coin :)

Personally, you would be drawing unnecessary attention to yourself in the wrong environments. As romantic as it sounds to wear that lovely eye-catching and bloody expensive watch on your wrist whilst travelling the globe, you will be encountering very poor people on the way, in places where there is also very little respect for life. Not a great combo to be honest

Backpackers are deemed easy targets as it is, without advertising the fact you are wearing a "life changing" watch, in more ways than one.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    I have faced this decision a few times and it very much depends on where I plan to stay/ activities.

I wore my Omega in Marrakech, all over Nepal, Mombasa, China (very rural + Beijing), Delhi, and a few other places I forget.

I felt very uncomfortable in Mombasa in particular, ended up taking it off and hiding it. And I spend a lot of time in that region. In Nepal it felt fine, ditto Marrakech. That said, I am sensible, not out late at night or intoxicated or generally making myself an easy target. I would not dream of taking it to parts of South America, especially having met a girl there with many stitches and tendon damage where a mugger just sliced her handbag clean off, cutting her deeply "by accident" during the process. And that was middle of the day, in a busy area of Quito.

Now I leave my nice watches at home for treks, Morocco trips, etc. I didn't take it to Cambodia, it just felt wrong when so many have so little.

Two Sub travel anecdotes:
    One mate lived in Kenya for a while and is happy wearing his Sub in Mombasa markets!
    Another spent some time in Nepal and gifted his Sub to a Sherpa family!

Overall, if you're truly backpacking, I'd leave it behind. I wear a £10 Casio on some trips and get a local phone/ SIM. It's amazing how much you can either blend in or stick out just by appearance and it even helps looking slightly dishevelled! My better half on the other hand is always a magnet for attention given her pale skin and blonde hair, it's like being with a celebrity some times!
    I think you'd probably be alright in Marrakesh, with apologies for xenophobic outburst. Whilst me and the Mrs were exploring the Souk in a worried manner, sauntering past us were haughty French tourists with Rolexes nochantly hanging off their wrists. My personal view is take a G shock,

As an aside, I back packed around the world in the late 80s. A cassette Walkman was about the most sophisticated technology available to carry. I then back packed in South America several years ago (G-Shock), I surprised to see a bloke back packing with hair straighteners/curling tongues. How youth and times have changed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    As an aside, I back packed around the world in the late 80s. A cassette Walkman was about the most sophisticated technology available to carry. I then back packed in South America several years ago (G-Shock), I surprised to see a bloke back packing with hair straighteners/curling tongues. How youth and times have changed.

I'm fairly sure my 21 year old cousin has a perm! I'm not sure how he could get the curls so tight otherwise...bizarre behaviour...it does not look cool 🙄

You want something with good wr and at least two time zones

However if the OP goes down this route, he should check his insurance. Most insist you wear it all the time when abroad and also have a limit of 45 days.
    Ignore all the above -it will get you killed.

A lot of these countries - you go out for a meal, the staff see how much money is in your wallet, your expensive watch, your girlfriend's jewellery - and they phone the muggers. The muggers will be waiting for you in the car park (if they don't just go into the restaurant with a gun and a hat.

In some countries when they rob you - they think nothing of getting rid of the witnesses.

Take nothing of value with you, and if you are out for the night - take only enough cash for taxis. Pay for meals with Creditcard (take just the one) and make sure you always have all the numbers to report missing/stolen.

It'll be all okay, until the moment it isn't okay. You will get no warning, or time to do anything - just to mutter "oh shit!" Or "Run!"

Why play the odds??

Al

Quote Originally Posted by ped View Post
    How often does that happen? Killing someone for their watch? Killing them?!

It happens often enough on this continent for it not to be worth the risk. I live in a 'safe' part of town but violent muggings are common. It's one thing losing your insured valuables (a palaver in itself, getting local police reports), and quite another coming round in a hospital where they won't even start putting you back together until they have had confirmation from your insurance company and they don't speak your language.

Master
    I'd have thought it is more trouble/risk than it would be worth. Chucking the thing in the safe for a year will make minimal if any difference to it and surely you'd rather not be inhibited by thinking about whether it created a risk at any given time or not. Also, plenty of scope for it going missing in airport security etc. I wouldn't bother.

Why take the risk, leave the Rolex at home in the safe and buy a £20 watch from Argos - sorted.

Master
    I am a doddery old 68 year old, so very muggable and I spend 24 weeks every year travelling around Europe and I always wear a Rolex. This year when abroad, I have worn a 16710 GMT, a Zenith Daytona and a Freccione Explorer11. I only take the one watch and wear it 24/7.

If you are that worried, you got to ask the simple question - are you really suited to wear a Rolex. Why buy something and then worry about it.
    Mick, you do speak some amount of pish.

How often does that happen? Killing someone for their watch? Killing them?!

Better than being killed for a Rolex 'Homage' I suppose.
    Across the world in the shit-holes ? Could be one a week? Wouldn't surprise me. How many people just mugged for a $7,000 watch? I think you would be shocked.

But - send your own kids off on a backpacking trip, stick a Rolex on each - and play the odds.

If it goes wrong - do come back and we can have a thread along the lines of - "I ***** told you so"

Go on - play the odds .............

Master
    Insure it and wear it. Don't take it off.
    ...in some parts of the world your hand will be taken off at the same time

In the spirit of the forum and all... I don't mind wearing it for you whilst you're away :)

Grand Master
    I went to Kenya a few years ago on a safari holiday; we were advised not to take any expensive watches or jewellery etc. At the time it seemed a bit extreme but once I got there I started to understand why. You attract enough attention as a tourist without flaunting opulence........and some of that attention will almost certainly be the wrong kind in some areas.

Personally, I`d advise not buying the watch till you return; spending 12 months travelling the world may cause you to challenge your values to such an extent that the watch no longer appeals to you.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by ped
    How often does that happen? Killing someone for their watch? Killing them?!.
    Probably not often, but ask those who've been returned from a backpacking if they've have felt 100% safe at all times on their travels, and if they had anything stolen, or no of anyone that did while away. I've had friends loose cash and wallets while asleep in shared dorms in Australia (never mind third world places).

If you're going to give advice, make sure it's good.

A local charity, set-up by a mother who's daughter was killed while travelling set-up a charity which offers some useful advice.

http://www.carolinesrainbowfoundation.org/

Backpacking with a Rolex SubC Date

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I went to Kenya a few years ago on a safari holiday; we were advised not to take any expensive watches or jewellery etc. At the time it seemed a bit extreme but once I got there I started to understand why. You attract enough attention as a tourist without flaunting opulence........and some of that attention will almost certainly be the wrong kind in some areas.

Paul
    That seems sensible advice, I was mugged in India, by a monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCasper View Post
    That seems sensible advice, I was mugged in India, by a monkey.

Monkeys are vicious bastards, apart from the big white ones which are ok.
    Don't smile at them whatever you do.

Instead of taking a Rolex, think of keeping expired credit/debit cards that you'll keep in your wallet. Keep the valid ones in different locations (and of course not in your wallet).
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Instead of taking a Rolex, think of keeping expired credit/debit cards that you'll keep in your wallet. Keep the valid ones in different locations (and of course not in your wallet).
    A slight improvement - in-date cards whos accounts have been cancelled.

Al

Indeed.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    But - send your own kids off on a backpacking trip, stick a Rolex on each - and play the odds.

Go on - play the odds .............
    Don't tempt me!!!

I'm playing devil's advocate here to be honest, and I am coming round to the idea that it might be a risk depending on where you go. Still, I'd like to think that in most touristy places the main risk would be from opportunistic thieves. Backpackers though I suppose by definition go off the beaten track' - or do they in fact create a new beaten track? No idea, really. Not something I fancy doing myself tbh, especially somewhere hot!

Monkeys are vicious bastards, apart from the big white ones which are ok.
    Don't smile at them whatever you do.
    A great big bloody monkey stole some M&Ms out of my hand once in Gibraltar, whilst I was driving a soft top. Had to admire him really.

Don't tempt me!!!

I'm playing devil's advocate here to be honest, and I am coming round to the idea that it might be a risk depending on where you go. Still, I'd like to think that in most touristy places the main risk would be from opportunistic thieves. Backpackers though I suppose by definition go off the beaten track' - or do they in fact create a new beaten track? No idea, really. Not something I fancy doing myself tbh, especially somewhere hot!
    Very very rare to find an unbeaten track these days

Don't tempt me!!!

There are people who's "day job" is to feed off backpackers. It isn't chance that their paths cross with the backpackers, or the general tourists - it is DESIGN.

The lions aren't at the water hole by chance.

Al

Very very rare to find an unbeaten track these days
    I still hanker after that holiday in Somaliland*.

* Not Somalia!