closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gym in the garage.

Gym in the garage.

As the title suggests, anyone done it?
    Ive got a big double garage and after reading the motivational weight loss thread, I've decided to try and do something about my weight.
    Im 14 stone at the moment and all the fat I carry is in the belly, which according to the professionals, it's the worst place to carry it.
    My plan is to use it at nights, mainly to stop me having a drink as it's far to easy to do with nothing going on in the morning after.

By all means build a gym, but losing weight needs to be done through diet regardless of the gym.

To save money look into calisthenics, to spend some buy a concept 2 rower.

If you really want to get into weights then by an Olympic weight set and a squat rack.
    Last edited by studly; 29th June 2017 at 10:24.

I'm aware of the diet aspect, I think I'm going to go for a weight bench or smith machine and add in a cardio machine.
    I used to go to the gym regularly at work and at home, but once I got a desk job it just seemed to falter away.

Grand Master
    It's a great idea in principle, and if I had space available I`d set some gym gear up. However, garages aren`t the ideal place for exercise, usually they're cold and uninviting places in the winter. You also have to have the right mentality to go in there and exercise alone; I can do it but I speak to others who can`t.

Is there any good reason why you can`t go to a local gym and exercise? In my own case I fell out with two local gyms over the crap music, so I had good reasons to stop going, but if lack of motivation is an issue it'll still be an issue in your own garage.

Suggest you have a good think before spending money on equipment. My stepson's got a nice setup in his garage, it works for him but it doesn`t work for everyone.

If you do it, be sure to fit something suitable on the floor and to paint the walls white to brighten it up. Makes a big difference!

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Chukas View Post
    I'm aware of the diet aspect, I think I'm going to go for a weight bench or smith machine and add in a cardio machine.
    I used to go to the gym regularly at work and at home, but once I got a desk job it just seemed to falter away.
    The cheapest cardio machine would be a kettlebell or a punch bag, but if you have the money then a concept 2 rower or a bike like the air assault bike will bring rapid gains, you may know about these already.

Anyway good luck with the weight loss.

I have a home gym but it only consists of a 24kg kettlebell, a club bell, a pair of gymnastic rings, hex dumbbells, a trx set up, and bodylastics. I mostly use the gymnastics rings, dumbbells, TRX, and calisthenics. I used to have all kinds of stuff, squat stands,barbells, trap bar, rowing machine etc, but i prefer minimalism these days.
    Last edited by studly; 29th June 2017 at 10:36.

Grand Master
    Best cardio machine is the cross trainer IMO, but a good one isn`t cheap. Concept 2 rower's a good choice if you like rowers.

Paul

I think group classes at a gym (e.g. circuit training, kettlebells etc...) are much easier to keep your motivation up on the long term. It can get pretty boring working out on your own, and as others have said above a garage is not the most inviting place. Having said that the proximity and convenience may well work for you.
    Last edited by .olli.; 29th June 2017 at 10:36. Reason: spelllllllling

Craftsman
    A mate did it with his garage, put down rubber flooring mats, olympic weights & rack. With hindsight a gym membership was probably cheaper but I think he was keen on the convenience. Decent cardio machines seem fairly pricey too. I've done a ghetto version with just a bench and dumbbells, tend to head out running or to gym now in lunchtimes instead. I did get a pullup bar that expands into an interior door but keep getting shoulder injuries so not all that successful so far!

Good luck with it whichever option you choose.

Don't do it.

It's too easy to stop. You'll find excuses.

Find a gym, or even better join a running or cycling club. You'll feel bad about letting them down as well as yourself.

I managed to train by myself for years but it was a lot easier with others.

Craftsman
    I'd recommend joining a gym if that's an option for you, I always found the cost (and gym bunnies) a great motivator that I never got when working out at home, you'll also be able to use all types of machine which may stop you getting bored so quickly.

Good luck with it either way.

Andy

Thanks for the replies so far.
    I've been a member of a gym before but I'm hoping if I get the garage set up I'll get right back into it and will be more convenient with a young family.
    Hopefully will start using the gym back at work as well.

After my NHS health check up I decided to sort myself out. I cut my drinking down to 3 nights / week and at lunch I have a diet protein shake. Drink plenty of water and green tea. I lost 4 kg in 3 weeks without doing any real exercise. While at work offshore I use the gym for 30-40 minutes a day, 5 days a week after shift alternating between a rower (5km row) and cross trainer (30 min at high level resistance). I finish with some body weight exercise for 10 minutes or so. I've been thinking about a home gym as well and would look at a concept 2 rower as already mentioned (can be had 2nd hand in pretty good nick) and a cross trainer though these can be v expensive for a reasonable standard one. I believe you can effectively hire them from some stores. I'd look into a set of pull up and dips bars and a set of dumb bells. A gym mat would also be a good idea. Oh yes, a stereo for your bangin toons

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Don't do it.

It's too easy to stop. You'll find excuses.

Find a gym, or even better join a running or cycling club. You'll feel bad about letting them down as well as yourself.

I managed to train by myself for years but it was a lot easier with others.
    Ive got to admit when I went to the gym at work years ago it was much better doing it with your work mates than doing it yourself.
    Running club is an option as well.

Quote Originally Posted by subseastu View Post
    After my NHS health check up I decided to sort myself out. I cut my drinking down to 3 nights / week and at lunch I have a diet protein shake. Drink plenty of water and green tea. I lost 4 kg in 3 weeks without doing any real exercise. While at work offshore I use the gym for 30-40 minutes a day, 5 days a week after shift alternating between a rower (5km row) and cross trainer (30 min at high level resistance). I finish with some body weight exercise for 10 minutes or so. I've been thinking about a home gym as well and would look at a concept 2 rower as already mentioned (can be had 2nd hand in pretty good nick) and a cross trainer though these can be v expensive for a reasonable standard one. I believe you can effectively hire them from some stores. I'd look into a set of pull up and dips bars and a set of dumb bells. A gym mat would also be a good idea. Oh yes, a stereo for your bangin toons
    Seems a bit similar to myself, I drink far too much and is something I really need to cut out, last night was first night without a drink since I got home a week ago, but that was probably because I was playing golf until half 9.

Master
    Blog Entries
    As mentioned kind of above, working out from home can result in laziness.

My friend has tons of gym kit in his garage but in the end still joined the gym where he had no distractions and plenty of people present to motivate (and better and more diverse equipment)

Moved house 18 months ago. Setup a gym in (my side) of the double garage. Treadmill, Spin bike, rowing machine, mats, kettlebells etc. Bought a telly with a dvd player and did Tae Bo. Used youtube for kettlebell and spin class type exercise.

Lasted about 3 months max. Its very easy to get bored and can't be bothered. I found myself going out cycling instead of spinning when the weather got better. Joined a new gym in October and go 3-4 times a week.

...and will be more convenient with a young family...
    Even more difficult. Surely you can agree an hour with your other half? When the children were very young I used to train at 6am or 10pm. Find a way to get out of the house if you can.

Grand Master
    I don`t think a home gym is ever a true substitute for visiting a gym with real people and decent equipment in it. I also think running/cycling is a better form of cardio exercise than a machine. However, the real value of having a home gym is the convenience; it's a great substitute on the days when you don`t have time to get to your local gym or when the weather's too bad to go running/cycling etc. In this context it allows you to maintain continuity and not miss exercise days.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    I don`t think a home gym is ever a true substitute for visiting a gym with real people and decent equipment in it. I also think running/cycling is a better form of cardio exercise than a machine. However, the real value of having a home gym is the convenience; it's a great substitute on the days when you don`t have time to get to your local gym or when the weather's too bad to go running/cycling etc. In this context it allows you to maintain continuity and not miss exercise days.

Paul
    I'd agree with this.

Ideal for me would be three days cardio outside with core strength training in the home gym on the other three days. One day off.

However a home gym is great for someone who doesn't want to waste the time traveling to and from a commercial one, or someone who doesn't enjoy exercising in one. It's all in your head, if you have the willpower you'll use a home gym to it's fullest and continue to do so, only you know how much willpower you have though!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Why not try adding apple cider vinegar to your diet 1-2tablespoons a day drink with a straw to protect your tooth enamel.

Depends what kind of exercise you do or want to do. For me a squat rack and Olympic weights are all I need so would be perfect in the garage, but does require some investment in the kit and also the flooring. Plus don't forget ceiling clearance if you want to do presses, jerk or snatches (hoho) otherwise you have to do them outside.

I do hate driving to and from the gym and am moving house soon; while I'll have a double garage which will be unused, there's a basic gym in the tennis club 2 minutes walk away so I'm going to try going there.

Another alternative is to buy a skipping rope and a kettlebell and see how you get on with using them at home. If it doesn't work out then don't not worth spending any more!

Master
    I'm starting the process of clearing out part of my garage to set up a rowing machine. I already have a punch bag, and may add weights at a later date if I do use it.

My reason for choosing home over a proper gym is mostly time. Gym bunnies or not, if I need to get in a car to go to a gym, I won't bother!

I have a mini gym in the garage with a spin bike, cross trainer

And one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...earch-keywords

In fact I have a spare one all boxed up which reminds me to put it on the sales corner!

Great for doing body weight excel uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975 View Post
    Why not try adding apple cider vinegar to your diet 1-2tablespoons a day drink with a straw to protect your tooth enamel.
    what does that do, genuine question?

we looked at options for a gym in the garage for my son, but when you look at buying good quality gym equipment the cost goes up, in the end we just sigend him up at a local gym, £20 a month and he has all the equipment he needs. plus supervision.

Craftsman
    Concept 2 Rower, best of all worlds, cardio and builds muscle.

I use mine in the winter to supplement my cycling. My tip would be to buy new, if budget allows.

There are lots of secondhand ones on the market, which aren't much cheaper than a new one.

Amazon is a good place to buy one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    what does that do, genuine question?

It assists fat burning from food, like eating grapefruit with a meal.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post

I use mine in the winter to supplement my cycling. My tip would be to buy new, if budget allows.

There are lots of secondhand ones on the market, which aren't much cheaper than a new one.

This! My Concept2 rower has been my best fitness purchase

Ah thanks. I've just started taking it to help with a problem I have but didn't realise it was something to benefit diet

I agree with rowing being the best of all worlds and non impact too. I use mine 4 to 5 times a week all year round, I went for a Bodymax Infiniti R200 which is probably a bit of overkill for the home but it's a fantastic piece of kit.

I've been going to the gym in my garage at least twice a week for two years. So it can work.

Mine consists of a heavily used squat rack & Olympic weights - plus an almost entirely unused concept rower and treadmill.

The whole lot (including rubber flooring) came from eBay where other people's failed attempts at fitness mean that equipment is cheap - especially if you have access to a van.

I guess all this shows that if you like lifting weights (like me) then being able to do it at home is great. Similarly, If you don't really like cardio machines (like me) then proximity is irrelevant.

If getting in shape is the goal then I really can't recommend the book (and site) Starting Strength highly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Best cardio machine is the cross trainer IMO, but a good one isn`t cheap. Concept 2 rower's a good choice if you like rowers.

Paul
    I got a Tunturi C4 off eBay a couple of years ago for £50. As new condition and built like a tank. Not the latest technology, but still a good piece of kit.

Cheers,

Plug

Craftsman
    I've had the garage set up as a gym for nearly three years, and aside from periods when working very long hours, still use it regularly.

Bought ex-gym cardio equipment (all Technogym), I have some rubber matting down beneath the kit to prevent damp, and bought a power cage with pulleys etc. to allow relatively safe training, a decent bench and some Olympic bars and weights.

Notwithstanding the periods of non-use due to occasional unusually long hours at work, there would be many more of those if I needed to drive to a commercial gym after a 'normal' 12hr day incl. travel.

It is of course cold in winter, can be warm in summer, but a decent warm up when it's cold and a couple of bottles of water when it's warm address those aspects.

I love my gym for the convenience. I often work from home so I can skive off for a bit but still be contactable. Also can look after the kids (lyoungbteenagers). Whilst working out.

Saved a fortune on membership.
    Only downsides are no peer group pressure and temperature at times.

I have a great app called MotionTraxx which gives mental tough HIIT workouts for spin, treadmill, cross trainer and rower. All for £3.95 a month.
    Way cheaper than the gym which leaves more watch money!

I had a smith machine in my single garage
    Ended up being a nuisance as it took up half of the garage
    Sold it last year and now just got a bench and some weights ,takes up much less room
    You can do all the core muscles with just a heavy bar and some dumbells
    If rooms an issue think twice about a big machine

I have a simple garage gym set up - adjustable bench, squat stands, olympic bar and dumbbell handles and plates, couple of kettlebells and a battlerope. Allows me to do pretty much anything I want - only thing I would probably change is to replace the squat stands with a powerrack, as the squat stands have no safetys for benching.

gumtree is your friend ;)

Master
    I have a gym set up in the garage trx set up (decathlon do a cheapo version which is pretty good £14 I think) kettlebells and a punch bag, all served me well over the years I don't use it as regularly as I should but it works well for me. If you went for the decathalon trx cost all in would be less than 2 months gym membership.

Master
    I had some huge weight loss from a heavy bag, but my bones didn't like it. 2 broken thumbs, despite correctly wrapping my hands plus gloves & then elbow damage from over extending on contact saw my doctor advise something different. Used to box loads at uni & somehow the last 20 years have not been kind to my bones it would appear.

I've ordered a water rower & it gets delivered tomorrow. Really looking forward to it, as used to row also. Never got on with the concept 2 rowers & despised the noise in training. I know the water rower isn't as good for a beasting session, but it's so tranquil using it and the associated noise is so close to being on water.

Will be kept in a spare room, as stores vertically so luckily no garage for me - tried it before & was too cold in winter / too hot in summer, bit like a conservatory, for my liking & kept finding reasons not to go out there. That kit was sold & the garage now holds a weekend toy toy instead!

Garage gym

I'm lucky enough to have two gyms at home, one in the garage and one in the top of a small barn. I've spent many happy hours training with my eldest son and sometimes with a mate in these, and usually train about 5-6 times per week, which includes perhaps four sessions in these, and a run and a cycle outdoors.

I've really enjoyed trying to be inventive with bits of kit over the years, and learnt a lot from various blogs such as 'rosstraining.'

My eldest is off to the World student powerlifting championships in South Africa next week, so I guess we're doing something right, although he's now way stronger than me!

My favourite torture device is a Versaclimber, pictured in the corner of the barn. It's truly challenging (I get on the Concept for light relief) and even more of an all over body workout in my opinion than a rowing machine. It certainly complements it well. Other favourites are the rings (£15 on eBay) and the rope for climbing with arms only (cost about £10) By lowering the rings to waist height they can easily be used for horizontal exercises - ring push-ups and ring-rows, with feet on a table or chair.

My least favourite is the green duffle/sandbag pictured behind the concept. I'm a great fan of circuit training, and have devised a wicked circuit which involves eight exercises, which I usually do five rounds of, 30 seconds on, 30 seconds rest. One of the exercises is a clean and jerk of the 35kg sandbag and I always dread it.

As someone else already said, Gumtree is your friend.

Best wishes,
    Martyn.

Master
    I remember a climber in a gym years ago, Nordic kit from memory. Thought it was going to be easy, but dear lord it broke me!

Impressive looking double gym there, Martyn; good luck to your son

Seems a bit similar to myself, I drink far too much and is something I really need to cut out, last night was first night without a drink since I got home a week ago, but that was probably because I was playing golf until half 9.
    It was a real struggle for me and more so in the summer. I was drinking every night for my entire leave of 4-5 weeks and knew it wasn't doing any good. Hardest bit is in the evening after dinner when I really fancy a drink or 5. But stick at it, it helps your health, waist and wallet

Craftsman
    I agree with most that the home gym might not last as long as you hope. I go to the gym about 4-5 days a week in my lunch break, keeps me out the pub and keeps me awake for the afternoon. You also wouldn't get the young hot chicks in your home gym, one of the main reasons I go.

Blog Entries
    Yep nicely in my garage roof. Would take a pic but with all the building works at home it is rammed full of kitchen and other stuff.

Don't use it that regularly but it's there when I decide to have a mad few weeks to fill the t-shirt 😳

It does what?

Grapefruit doesn't help fat burning either by the way.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    gym in the garage is great requires no more willpower than going to the gym and far more convenient i have an olympic bench and weights,lat pulldown,preacher curl bench,leg press seated row machine all commercial gym equipment and mostly bought from eBay i say go for it

Good luck mate. Studly made a great suggestion; Calisthenics. Buy 'Complete Calisthenics' by Ashley Calym, great book, bodyweight training will give you the impetus to want to lose weight. I quit weights over a year ago and look and feel better than ever. Also as mentioned it's 90% diet too and my favourite saying is 'you'll never outrun your fork', finally get some cardio in too, but remember the best form of exercise is the exercise you enjoy most; otherwise you'll likely not stick to it. Good luck, you can do it.

Thanks for all the replies 😀

Ive went and bought a smith machine with a few attachments and a rack of rubber hex weights.
    Will try and keep an eye out for a rower on gumtree or eBay, I've enjoyed using the rower in the past.
    Hopefully the first step to a lifestyle change.

Ive went and bought a smith machine...
    VERY NSFW...
    https://www.youtube.com/embed/IHBLxCPmnVc

On a serious note, good work wth your lifestyle changes.

Master
    I set up a gym in my garage a while back. Had a multi gym, treadmill, bench with free weights and a cross trainer. Also put up an old TV on the wall with a DVD player so I could put on music DVD's as I trained. Found it hard to motivate myself to use it though so ended up selling all the gear and joining the gym again. I've now been going 2 - 3 times a week and love it. Might be different for you but it didn't work for me unfortunately.