closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So what's fallen from favour (or was never in favour)?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Ask again in 6 months and I'm going to say the SD43.
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    Agree with you
    Fully agree and i know there are experts on here who are paying above RRP for this at the moment but the problem is supply.

I have been offered one by my AD for RRP and two of my friends have also bought these for RRP in the last month.

I think these will be available at RRP to most who want them in the next 6 months and in 12 months will be available for under RRP.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Now, probably. Back then? The Heritage Chrono was somewhere north of £2k and I think the BB was £2,500 or £2,700.
    Sigh...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    A controversial one possibly - the Tudor BB36 was an unexpected winner during the Baselworld coverage / hype, looking great in photos, but turned out to wear surprisingly small. They corrected this with the 41mm version, which is huge. I'm sure there are owners who are very happy with both of them though, the idea was good and they are bound to suit a lucky few.

Similar story with IWC's pilot 36, which got a few excited before it turned out to be 100% a sparkly ladies watch.

It's been a while since I've seen a B&R of any type posted come to think of it. They've launched some quite appealing designs recently, but I'd be surprised if they popped up on the Friday thread.
    I had a look at a BB36 and the crown seemed outsized for the case. I guess that would have been corrected with the larger case model.
    Last edited by NickRed71; 28th June 2017 at 11:44. Reason: clarity

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    Me - I have the all black and much prefer it over the McQueen Blue. I think the blue is a bit of a fad and the market getting a bit bored of the endless McQueen marketing ties up with the buzz being lost.

The black is a lot classier I feel.
    I agree, Black totally alters the Watch IMO.

I meant more specifically the CW2113 or the CAW211P, but yes if you don't value the Vintage/McQueen connection I guess you may buy the 2113.

Dare I say modern IWC?
    When I started hereabouts they all seemed popular
    Maybe the new price and depreciations have seen to that?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Dare I say modern IWC?
    Prices and ever increasing sizes. Somewhere along the way they lost contact with their heritage and started to look like a marketing lead fashion brand, not quite as serious as the vintage pieces would suggest. Too many very large, very expensive watches, often with generic movements, in spite of some nice designs. They may find their way back though.

Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    The new air king was a watch that was very unpopular. Still seems unpopular but rarely comes up for sale on here. Loads come up on eBay and see them all the time in AD
    This is a strange one. It hasn't fallen out of favour as it's so new, but I don't think most people get the watch.
    I hated it at first, but now own one and love it.

Every AD I've spoken to says they do have interest in it and when they get one, it doesn't hang around. That's several ADs in the UK, and one here in the US that mentioned the Air-King.

I don't think it will ever be hugely popular, but it certainly doesn't hang around AD windows as far as I've been told, the way Milgauss and EXP2 do. I don't see one in most AD windows.

Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    Sigh...
    Tell me about it. I've bought back a few old watches when I realised I made a mistake. I sold the Big Block and bought a Heuer Autavia 11630 GMT. Two watches I wish I still had but which have gone up far too much in value now. Ah well.
    "A man of little significance"

JLC Master Compressor divers seem to have vanished of the face of the forum.

Edited to add: MM600.
    ______

​Jim.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Merch131 View Post
    The Zenith Striking 10th was all over the forums when it was launched, six months later, not a mention. Wasn't there one on here that got flipped amongst the regulars over and over at the time?
    Was on my list but I could never track one down!
    Even Iconic couldn't get me one 2 years ago so I settled on the Zenith Spindrift.
    Whenever I see on Friday thread I still admire.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nairn1980 View Post
    Every AD I've spoken to says they do have interest in it and when they get one, it doesn't hang around. That's several ADs in the UK, and one here in the US that mentioned the Air-King.

I don't think it will ever be hugely popular, but it certainly doesn't hang around AD windows as far as I've been told, the way Milgauss and EXP2 do. I don't see one in most AD windows.

I tried one in my AD a few months back as I quite liked it but wasn't keen on the metal finish of the numbers when I saw it in the flesh. It was certainly in the window a good few weeks before and after that. I'll have to have a look and see if it's still there.

Someone's been trying to sell an unused one on TURF, at less than list, for the last 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Another good example. A total dogs dinner of a thing that I'm ashamed to say I fell for. Couldn't wait to return it.
    I could not disagree more strongly. When you consider the high regard generally for the SKX009, I would suggest that the Seiko Turtle PADI is a significantly better watch in every respect...

Simon

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I tried one in my AD a few months back as I quite liked it but wasn't keen on the metal finish of the numbers when I saw it in the flesh. It was certainly in the window a good few weeks before and after that. I'll have to have a look and see if it's still there.

Someone's been trying to sell an unused one on TURF, at less than list, for the last 6 months.
    Loads of them on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    New model Navitimers don't seem to sell well, although you don't see them up regularly.
    I'd agree with that. I had one of the new ones and sold it in short order. The dial was just too bling, with the big lumpy applied logo, and the bling plots (or numbers) depending on which dial you choose. They turned a tool watch into a seventies disco ball.

I can't see me ever getting rid of my Old Navitimer though.

Quote Originally Posted by Incredible Sulk View Post
    I'd agree with that. I had one of the new ones and sold it in short order. The dial was just too bling, with the big lumpy applied logo, and the bling plots (or numbers) depending on which dial you choose. They turned a tool watch into a seventies disco ball.
    Once again, I'd respectfully beg to differ...

Simon

The PAM 312, their first inhouse auto movement.

They sold as quickly as they appeared in the windows and took a while to grab one at RRP.

Now never see them and moved on for less than RRP a few years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The watches which have "fallen from favour" are those which are considered unlikely to provide speculators with a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Dare I say modern IWC?
    I tend to agree. The Portuguese seemed to be THE watch not so long ago. But now i sense IWC have moved more "fashion" and have become less of an interest to WIS types. Not that they would give a hoot I imagine given the number of IWC Boutiques i see popping up in big fashion malls. I suspect they are selling a lot more watches at much higher margins.

Master
    I was going to suggest the SD4k to the point where it was discontinued but it now has reversed in popularity and seems to be on the up

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    I'd like to try One, but haven't seen One yet, I must be looking in the wrong windows !
    Must be, I walked past one in the window of Fraser Hart in Edinburgh yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    JLC Master Compressor divers seem to have vanished of the face of the forum.

Edited to add: MM600.
    I liked a lot of the pieces in this collection, the GMT, the Chrono and the Navy Seals Alarm with the double crown were all very nice, especially on that rubber-clad bracelet!

Sadly you're right though, you don't see many around any more.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    I was going to suggest the SD4k to the point where it was discontinued but it now has reversed in popularity and seems to be on the up
    A trend that does not always happen to Rolex sports models. The white Milgauss has been discontinued but interest remains lacking. The white Milgauss probably falls into the "Never Was in Favour" category?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    Once again, I'd respectfully beg to differ...

Simon
    Nice watch but I've just sold a navi world and it took an age to sell a few years back they were commanding strong money

Quote Originally Posted by mjc1216 View Post
    Fully agree and i know there are experts on here who are paying above RRP for this at the moment but the problem is supply.

I have been offered one by my AD for RRP and two of my friends have also bought these for RRP in the last month.

I think these will be available at RRP to most who want them in the next 6 months and in 12 months will be available for under RRP.
    i hope you're correct as I'd love one but can't get one. If you get offered another and don't want it please let me know :)

Neil

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NickRed71 View Post
    I had a look at a BB36 and the crown seemed outsized for the case. I guess that would have been corrected with the larger case model.
    I've got a BB36 and love it. But I agree, things seem to have gone rather quiet around it. I wonder how they're selling. Agree also with the earlier post about the IWC Pilot 36--not a serious watch for anyone thinking about its heritage. Again I wonder how/if they're selling (and to whom).

I was offered a Speedmaster Mark 2 for a crazy discount about 4 years ago in an AD, it was something like a 50% discount on RRP... I tried it on but it felt like a motorbike helmet on my wrist ?

Were these ever a big seller ?

I'd say the re released omega sm300 - (is that the right model number?) - lots of buzz, then the long lugs and price saw them totally disappear from the forum!???

Yes, the Omega MK2 re issue and the X33 skywalker , also the Z33..shame cause i fancy the Mk2 and x33

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    Yes, the Omega MK2 re issue and the X33 skywalker , also the Z33..shame cause i fancy the Mk2 and x33
    Why should you feel shame? I've come to the realisation that SC and TZ is not the be all and end all.
    Plenty of decent watches on SC are almost being slashed to death to sell (unless their forum darlings) Yet go to the watches of Knightsbridge Auction and you'll see fairly obscure brands like Yema do very well .
    TZ is a great repository of knowledge Theres an awful lot of Rolex BLNR, Omega Speedmaster, Rolex BLNR ..... blah blah blah...Dare I say it buts it's getting staid.

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I'd say the re released omega sm300 - (is that the right model number?) - lots of buzz, then the long lugs and price saw them totally disappear from the forum!???

Very much alive and loved by owners!
    99% Omegas though are poor at value retention.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 30th June 2017 at 00:17.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Yet go to the watches of Knightsbridge Auction and you'll see fairly obscure brands like Yema do very well .
    TZ is a great repository of knowledge
    I'd like One of those Yema Rallyes, but not at W.O.K. money !

its more a shame i like them, but they are still too pricey for me
    Last edited by peter2704; 30th June 2017 at 14:09.

Quote Originally Posted by ywl23n View Post
    A trend that does not always happen to Rolex sports models. The white Milgauss has been discontinued but interest remains lacking. The white Milgauss probably falls into the "Never Was in Favour" category?
    Bugger! That was my 50th birthday present to myself! I loved the green tinge - at least it'll be rarely seen on other wrists!

Sent from TZ-UK app on Android

Quote Originally Posted by DACC View Post
    Bugger! That was my 50th birthday present to myself! I loved the green tinge - at least it'll be rarely seen on other wrists!

Sent from TZ-UK app on Android
    I actually admire the Milgauss when I see it.
    I think it's a lovely striking watch. Correct it's out of fashion/favour and that can't be denied, but I actually think it's refreshing and smart.
    It may be one to watch in the future, and could become desireable.

Master
    The GV was my first modern Rolex, and it remains my favourite Rolex sports watch. A 'sleeper',in the range, whose time may yet come. Or not.......

Any Rolex or lookalike with mercedes hands...

Always a lot of buzz about Dornbleuth at one time, everybodies wish list watch.

Can't remember when they were last mentioned.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post

Mine is arriving soon.

Tony's incoming thread recently?

Isn't it more that there just aren't many around, because of the long waiting times?

Quote Originally Posted by robt View Post
    Isn't it more that there just aren't many around, because of the long waiting times?
    Many people have them engraved, that's largely the point of one of their watches to have them personalised to the owner which may explain why they are hardly mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Many people have them engraved, that's largely the point of one of their watches to have them personalised to the owner which may explain why they are hardly mentioned.
    I don't think the engraving is the main point and not everyone has it done, but yes, it's a good point. Definitely makes many of them less flippable, so they won't pop up in the incoming thread as much as others.

I've given some thought to getting one at some point in the future, and personally wouldn't want it engraved. Not so much because of residuals, but it just seems a bit tacky on a hand-made watch. I could buy a Timex at Argos and get it engraved, were I looking for that sort of "personalisation".

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    Nice watch but I've just sold a navi world and it took an age to sell a few years back they were commanding strong money
    That's OK, mine's not going anywhere...

Simon

Journeyman

Bear in mind this is a brand that only produces circa ~150 units per year.

There's one in Fraser Hart's (York) window that's been hanging around like a fart in a lift.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    There's one in Fraser Hart's (York) window that's been hanging around like a fart in a lift.
    I'm not sure what their trade/Clientele etc is like so can't comment on that part of the country.
    I know Scotland ADs that I've spoken to say they aren't hard to shift. I guess it's a watch you love or hate and maybe York has no lovers of the new AK lol

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Last years Omega CK2998 is worthy of a mention here. Hot on the heels of the Snoopy for a short period of time it was the next big thing. Prices started to fall and people flipped on here for less than RRP.

It has become a footnote from history and a warning sign to those looking to cash in on the ST. Buyer beware. Ally's point is valid, if you bought one because you love it and intend to keep it, then no damage done.
    Just one man's opinion, but that CK is the best looking watch omega has produced since the blue Gemini 4 le. It's infinitely more desirable to me than the white snoopy watch.

It's crazy how values work.

Casio G-Shock Mudmaster

People fell in love with it looking at the pictures. G-Shocks are usually big watches, but this is effin' HUGE. Simply unwearable to most tastes. Many people bought online without trying it on first. Pretty soon there were loads being sold and the price plummeted.

Master
    This is a strange one. It hasn't fallen out of favour as it's so new, but I don't think most people get the watch.
    I hated it at first, but now own one and love it.

The new AK has a lot going for it. The de-blinged milgauss case and bracelet is great. If they ever go to alternate dials, I'll probably buy one.

Ball watches