closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So what's fallen from favour (or was never in favour)?

So what's fallen from favour (or was never in favour)?

With all the talk of speculation on the Speedy Tuesday it occurred to me that there must be watches that people either thought were going to future investment winners OR were red hot for a period of time, sold well and now nobody is interested.

What do you think has fallen most from favour in your period of being a collector?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Milgauss GV used to be above list and everyone went nuts.

Oops

The GV is a perfect example. Quite a few were caught with their trousers down on that one.

Personally I would only ever buy a watch I'd be happy to keep regardless of value.

The Tudor Monte-Carlo chrono reissues in two colours. Which one to get? Judging by the excitement before launch and the complete disinterest after it, nobody was that bothered in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    The Tudor Monte-Carlo chrono reissues in two colours. Which one to get? Judging by the excitement before launch and the complete disinterest after it, nobody was that bothered in the end.
    And yet we never see any for sale, which suggests people are happy to keep hold of them. I had one very briefly and really liked it (sadly a Big Block came along). Wish I still had both really.
    "A man of little significance"

Last years Omega CK2998 is worthy of a mention here. Hot on the heels of the Snoopy for a short period of time it was the next big thing. Prices started to fall and people flipped on here for less than RRP.

It has become a footnote from history and a warning sign to those looking to cash in on the ST. Buyer beware. Ally's point is valid, if you bought one because you love it and intend to keep it, then no damage done.

I was about to ask about Omegas that suffered this fate, but you got in there first! Any others?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    And yet we never see any for sale, which suggests people are happy to keep hold of them. I had one very briefly and really liked it (sadly a Big Block came along). Wish I still had both really.
    Or that not many purchased them in the end?

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I was about to ask about Omegas that suffered this fate, but you got in there first! Any others?
    Not really. Amongst the limited editions prices are rising for the desirable models, Gemini IV, the Alaska and the Apollo XI 35th anniversary panda etc and of course both Snoopy's.

Not sure what the future holds for those various colours like dark, grey, white side of the moon watches.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Ask again in 6 months and I'm going to say the SD43.

The Tudor Black Bay was once flavour of the month.
    Every other thread on here 18 months ago was Black Bay this, that and the other.

Once folk realised they held no long-lasting qualities they were quickly given the chop.

Poor old Black Bays....

The Tudor Bronze. Wasn't there great excitement when that came out, barely gets a mention these days. You see them in plenty of shop windows and the odd one appears on SC.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Not really. Amongst the limited editions prices are rising for the desirable models, Gemini IV, the Alaska and the Apollo XI 35th anniversary panda etc and of course both Snoopy's.

Not sure what the future holds for those various colours like dark, grey, white side of the moon watches.
    Rather a good hit rate for a brand that produces so many limited editions then. Shows Omega must know what it's doing. :)

Another limited-edition machine is Casio with all its G-Shock variations and collaborations. I wonder how many of those have nose-dived after the initial enthusiasm died off? (Calling deepsea_dweller!)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Last years Omega CK2998 is worthy of a mention here. Hot on the heels of the Snoopy for a short period of time it was the next big thing. Prices started to fall and people flipped on here for less than RRP.

It has become a footnote from history and a warning sign to those looking to cash in on the ST. Buyer beware. Ally's point is valid, if you bought one because you love it and intend to keep it, then no damage done.
    The CK also suffered from its larger run - another 1000 available made a significant difference to demand imo. I'd argue also it's not quite as good looking/distinctive as either the Snoopy or ST.

Being the only inverse panda Speedy I'm expecting the ST to trade above retail for the foreseeable future.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    The GV is a perfect example. Quite a few were caught with their trousers down on that one.

Personally I would only ever buy a watch I'd be happy to keep regardless of value.
    I have to agree with that. Although I have been impressed with how my GMT has appreciated I don't think I could bring myself to sell it, unless dire straits arrived (and I don't mean the popular 80's beat combo)

Master
    The Tudor Bronze. Wasn't there great excitement when that came out, barely gets a mention these days. You see them in plenty of shop windows and the odd one appears on SC.
    Agree. I lusted, sought, bought, failed to bond & ditched...

Craftsman
    The Zenith Striking 10th was all over the forums when it was launched, six months later, not a mention. Wasn't there one on here that got flipped amongst the regulars over and over at the time?

Master
    Panerai. I'd still like one (40 or 42mm) in my collection but there doesn't seem much love these days.

Master
    Never in favour - not much love on here for anything Christopher Ward. Just saying !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Ask again in 6 months and I'm going to say the SD43.
    Agree with you

Master
    Blog Entries
    The new air king was a watch that was very unpopular. Still seems unpopular but rarely comes up for sale on here. Loads come up on eBay and see them all the time in AD

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Or that not many purchased them in the end?
    Oh I don't know, I think there were a few around.

Quote Originally Posted by gc52 View Post
    Never in favour - not much love on here for anything Christopher Ward. Just saying !
    Well I was thinking more of watches that were hot on preorder and then never actually turned into favours.

Carpet Warehouse have never had that status (well on watch collectors forums at least).
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 28th June 2017 at 07:58.

New model Navitimers don't seem to sell well, although you don't see them up regularly.

Seiko Turtle PADI anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Nono View Post
    Another good example. A total dogs dinner of a thing that I'm ashamed to say I fell for. Couldn't wait to return it.

Definitely Panerai. When I really got into watches about 20 years ago they were THE thing. Huge bands of collectors/Paneristi.

Now I rarely see them worn around and they have not aged well.

Craftsman
    Agree on Panerai as well. The popularity and interest seem to have dwindled, at least over the last 1.5 years. I am on the Panerai facebook group and 99% of the posts are people selling their straps and buckles, rather than taking wristshots and making comments about the a particular watch

Master
    Could that be a UK thing? I watch way too much American sport on TV and the retired player pundit almost always is sporting a big Panerai.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Another good example. A total dogs dinner of a thing that I'm ashamed to say I fell for. Couldn't wait to return it.
    How is it a dog's dinner?

Craftsman
    I wouldn't consider the Seiko PADI Tuna a fall from favour... yet. It has a very nice colour combination and the blue sunburst dial is just awesome. 4R36 movement is also reliable. A lot of Seiko fans around me still feel that the PADI turtle is one of the nicest turtles around (probably 3rd place after the Zimbe and Green).

Quote Originally Posted by ywl23n View Post
    I wouldn't consider the Seiko PADI Tuna a fall from favour... yet. It has a very nice colour combination and the blue sunburst dial is just awesome. 4R36 movement is also reliable. A lot of Seiko fans around me still feel that the PADI turtle is one of the nicest turtles around (probably 3rd place after the Zimbe and Green).
    There was so much chat about them pre-release, and then they came out, and then they all went on the SC at the same time, and most the chat evaporated. Within the context of this forum, it fell.

Master
    There's always the Rolex Cellini. Ignored on the forums , treated as invisible. For me, the best looking watches Rolex make. They do sell.... but you wouldn't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    There's always the Rolex Cellini. Ignored on the forums , treated as invisible. For me, the best looking watches Rolex make. They do sell.... but you wouldn't think so.
    My favourite Rolex

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ywl23n View Post
    Agree on Panerai as well. The popularity and interest seem to have dwindled, at least over the last 1.5 years. I am on the Panerai facebook group and 99% of the posts are people selling their straps and buckles, rather than taking wristshots and making comments about the a particular watch

Bit of a UK forum thing, sales are strong and with the arrival of them in Airport Terminals and a Boutique due to open in UK they will no longer be alongside other brands but stand alone and increase awareness. They did have a cool off but still supercool watches non the less
    RIAC

Grand Master
    AP has also got stronger, Rolex is just Rolex, steady and safe (some might say bland!) but part of the popularity is the potential to make a few quid or not lose a penny from new which appeals to the safe hands
    RIAC

Perhaps not in the same league as some of the brands talked about above but I'd be interested in people's views on Glycine and whether it's affected by the Invicta ownership.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Perhaps not in the same league as some of the brands talked about above but I'd be interested in people's views on Glycine and whether it's affected by the Invicta ownership.
    Massdrop sales didn't help either, it just looks like they are dumping all of the current stock.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    Bit of a UK forum thing, sales are strong and with the arrival of them in Airport Terminals and a Boutique due to open in UK they will no longer be alongside other brands but stand alone and increase awareness. They did have a cool off but still supercool watches non the less
    I experience the same lukewarm feeling towards Pams over here in Singapore. I have a 321 that I want to move on but there have been no reasonable enquiries after so long. I realise the value of it has dropped quite a bit since I purchased it (pre-owned). I have noticed also that FS posts of past favorites 000s and 005s values have stayed on longer too.

The Longines Hydroconquest was a big forum darling a few years ago.

I've got one and it remains a favourite of mine, but you don't see it as widely recommended or 'wanted' as it used to be.

TAG Monaco too, to a degree. Maybe it's me, but there used to be a lot of 'buzz' around them, but you hardly hear anything now.

I'd agree on the Zenith Striking Tenth, you'd imagine they were selling like hot cakes the number of times people would cite them as the 'next buy' on their list a while ago (a couple of years, maybe?)

M

Master
    A controversial one possibly - the Tudor BB36 was an unexpected winner during the Baselworld coverage / hype, looking great in photos, but turned out to wear surprisingly small. They corrected this with the 41mm version, which is huge. I'm sure there are owners who are very happy with both of them though, the idea was good and they are bound to suit a lucky few.

Similar story with IWC's pilot 36, which got a few excited before it turned out to be 100% a sparkly ladies watch.

It's been a while since I've seen a B&R of any type posted come to think of it. They've launched some quite appealing designs recently, but I'd be surprised if they popped up on the Friday thread.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 28th June 2017 at 10:24.

Quote Originally Posted by caye031 View Post
    Massdrop sales didn't help either, it just looks like they are dumping all of the current stock.
    They are - the Massdrop sale prices were actually pretty expensive - there was a period near the start of the year where ebay sellers and the like were selling them at really low prices (less than $150) - there was clearly a glut as they blew out the stock.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    They are - the Massdrop sale prices were actually pretty expensive - there was a period near the start of the year where ebay sellers and the like were selling them at really low prices (less than $150) - there was clearly a glut as they blew out the stock.
    I'm not sure if the model I'm thinking of was involved in Massdrop, but there was definitely a bit more of a buzz about the Glycine Airman that seems to have tailed off. I still like them a lot, but would only buy at the right price.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock View Post
    I like them, haven't tried One on yet though...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100 View Post
    Am I right in thinking that you'd pay 2 to 3 times the price of a Heritage Chrono for a Big Block ?

Master
    I'd like to try One, but haven't seen One yet, I must be looking in the wrong windows !

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nono View Post
    I think they're a great watch for the money.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    TAG Monaco too, to a degree. Maybe it's me, but there used to be a lot of 'buzz' around them, but you hardly hear anything now.
    M
    I was just pondering the same thing.
    Always wondered who buys the non McQueen Blue One.

I got my GV black face off here (SC) bought it less than a year old if I recall. It's pretty much a daily wearer as no one says " Ah Rolex "

It makes me smile, I look at the time, then look again as I realise I never clocked the time the first look.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    I like them, haven't tried One on yet though...

- - - Updated - - -

Am I right in thinking that you'd pay 2 to 3 times the price of a Heritage Chrono for a Big Block ?
    Now, probably. Back then? The Heritage Chrono was somewhere north of £2k and I think the BB was £2,500 or £2,700.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by OHG1X View Post
    I was just pondering the same thing.
    Always wondered who buys the non McQueen Blue One.
    Me - I have the all black and much prefer it over the McQueen Blue. I think the blue is a bit of a fad and the market getting a bit bored of the endless McQueen marketing ties up with the buzz being lost.

The black is a lot classier I feel.