closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Ideal number of watches... N = N + 1 .... or maybe not?

Craftsman

Question Ideal number of watches... N = N + 1 .... or maybe not?

Its a common joke that the ideal number of anything we collect is always N + 1, where N is the current number you own...

But having been contemplating reducing my own collection, I've come to the conclusion that for me at least, you only know the ideal number when you exceed it. Perhaps the equation should be N = N -1 instead?

When I owned three nice watches, they all got worn regularly, all had a role.. one for work, one for best and so on. But as my collection slowly went up to four, then five, then six, I did have a slight worry that I'd gone too far, that maybe six was too many. Of course a year later, that didn't stop me from buying yet another, this time an Omega FOIS, to go with one TAG Carrera, two El Primeros and three Rolexes.

In the year since, I have to confess I haven't worn it that much, and indeed there are others which I wear for a day once a month or so, mainly because I feel I should, it does them no good to be left unused after all.

Which then prompts the thought, perhaps I should consolidate, a well trodden path on here it seems... sell two or three and maybe buy one more than I'd wear more often. Ah, but which to sell, what to buy, the permutations are endless, I even got to the point of considering selling the lot and starting again.

Anyway, the point being that it was only the addition of the Omega that finally 'broke the camels back' in making me seriously consider reducing the collection.

Has anyone else has had the same experience, have you also happily increased your collection, until that one final addition made you reassess your whole collection, and want to consolidate?

I don't worry about numbers anymore
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

The numbers always fluctuate for me but IF I can I'd like to get to three and stick to that.

DJ,GMT,Daytona. The +1 would be a seadweller.

I'VE 4

Think that's one too many

Mozza

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I've reduced to 3 which I've long said was my ideal number. Was at 6 for a spell and it was far too many (for me)
    Now i have work, weekend, and vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I've reduced to 3 which I've long said was my ideal number. Was at 6 for a spell and it was far too many (for me)
    Now i have work, weekend, and vintage.
    Bang on Mate

4 is way too many, I'm wearing my Omega Bond SMPc today as felt sorry for it

Mozza

Numbers have somehow crept up again, but I've probably got less than thirty

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Numbers have somehow crept up again, but I've probably got less than thirty
    And give them all the wrist time they deserve?

This is a really interesting topic OP

Mozza

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    And give them all the wrist time they deserve?

This is a really interesting topic OP

Mozza
    I only really wear one of them
    There's another one I wear very occasionally
    Most of them stay in the box all the time and have done since I bought them

I only really wear one of them
    There's another one I wear very occasionally
    Most of them stay in the box all the time and have done since I bought them
    Investing?

I (try) to wear mine all equally.

Ok the Seiko 007 gets more use as it's my work watch.

Mozza

Investing?

I (try) to wear mine all equally.

Ok the Seiko 007 gets more use as it's my work watch.

Mozza
    I've never bought a watch as an investment
    It's a hobby for me

Master
    I've got an embarrassing number but few of them get regular wear since I got the Platona. The others are ones that either have sentimental value or are watches that will be tough (or substantially more expensive) to replace if (when!) I want one again. Mental.

I should really formalise some sort of rotation system. Problem is, when I wear something other than the Platona for a few days I miss it!
    Last edited by cmcm3; 27th June 2017 at 18:48.

I've never bought a watch as an investment
    It's a hobby for me
    So, to look at? Like art?

I'm not taking the Pee. Genuinely interested in your mindset.

Mozza

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    I've got an embarrassing number but few of them get regular wear. The others are ones that either have sentimental value or are watches that will be tough (or substantially more expensive) to replace if (when!) I want one again. Mental.

I should really formalise some sort of rotation system. Problem is, when I wear something other than the Platona for a few days I miss it!

The platona is a watch to miss.....

Mozza

Congrats on 250 Mozza.

Mozza
    They are just nice things to have

I wouldn't say they were like art
    To me they are more like mini pieces of engineering and I appreciate the design history behind them

Plus you can also put them on your wrist and tell the time with them

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Congrats on 250 Mozza.

Ahhhhh

Cheers Ally

Mozza

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhhhh

Cheers Ally

Mozza

Got nowt to sell though :-(

Mozza

They are just nice things to have

I wouldn't say they were like art
    To me they are more like mini pieces of engineering and I appreciate the design history behind them

Plus you can also put them on your wrist and tell the time with them
    But you mention you don't wear them?

Do you get them out, like a photo album?

I've only ever bought watches to wear.

Mozza

But you mention you don't wear them?

Do you get them out, like a photo album?

I've only ever bought watches to wear.

Mozza
    I try them on when I buy them
    Then it's just back in the box
    I wore a G shock nearly every day for most of the time I was into watches, its only recently I've found a watch I'm happy wearing every day.

Craftsman
    I'm at 3 at the moment but only wear a watch at weekends so think I'll reduce to 2 1 day 1 night and get use out of them

8 . . .
    F.T.F.A.

Do we wear them though?

Mozza

I have 7 (plus 5 quartz), and am very comfortable with that. Each has its place (in my collection - and in my heart!): blue-dialled Omega SMPc as a beater with its beautiful lacquered dial; Speedmaster Pro sapphire sandwich - I wanted a chronograph and this is iconic, beautiful and great value; a GMT watch, the titanium Omega Aqua Terra GMT Goodplanet; a moonphase, the JLC MUT Moon black dial; a world-timer, the JLC Geophysic Universal Time; my grail - the most serenely tranquil watch dial that I've seen, the ALS 1815 up/down in rose gold; and, finally, my 'art' watch, the open-dialled Breguet La Tradition 7027 in yellow gold.

If I had a lot more money, I'd be tempted to add some avant-garde watches - perhaps an Urwerk, an MB&F, a de Bethune (or two) and, maybe a Greubel Forsey (or three). However, as these are out of my range, I am now content : N = N ! [an exclamation, not a factorial sign]

Blog Entries
    N = Σπ^1.2*x

where x= number slots in watch box.

Back to the drawing board.

M.

Journeyman
    12 because that's the size of my watch box

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Its certainly much easier adding than reducing a collection, that's for sure. There's also the fact that the ones most likely to go are those which have depreciated the most (Zenith I'm looking at you), while the Rolexes could be sold in total for a small profit, which would at least ease the pain somewhat.

I think this is also why watches like the Sub and Daytona are flipped so often, its financially painless. I wonder if the flippers would be quite so keen to do the same with watches that lose thousands if bought new and sold soon after? I doubt it..

Having pondered the problem for far too long, the Omega would be the first to go, as its similar to my EP Pilot, which I prefer. Next to go would be the EP Captain, a lovely watch for sure, it became my default dress watch, but I don't wear it often these days. The Daytona would fill the 'dress watch' role if the Captain went, I know its not technically a dress watch, but its dressy enough for me.

The third to go for be the Carrera, which is my daily wearer, so if it went, in theory is I'd wear the rest more often. Its almost a beater, its too good for that, but then its not worth that much, so I may just keep it.

That would leave me with four or five, which feels about right... the Zenith EP Pilot on a strap (small date version), and the Rolex three.. Daytona, Sub C and Z Blue. Despite being the most valuable and I'd sell it at a profit, the Daytona is a keeper. While it would be hard to choose between the Sub C and Z Blue if one had to go. The Z Blue is prettier and I like it more, yet I recognise the Sub is far more practical, has a date and the great Glidelock clasp.. First world problems indeed !

Then again perhaps the easiest solution is to do nothing, enjoy them all and not stress about having 'too many'...

Grand Master

Mozza
    I have several vintage Omegas that very rarely get worn, but I still enjoy owning them. Some folks don`t get it, others do. I`d happily put them in a display cabinet but the security aspect concerns me so they spend most of their time locked away.

I get far less pleasure from owning a watch that's still currently available, my mindset's the absolute opposite to the Rolex BLNR/Ceramic Daytona brigade.

Like I said, you either get it or you don`t.......if you need to ask the question you're unlikely to understand the answer.

Paul

I think the classic N + 1 formula applied for me in the years when I was still trying to work out what really worked for me, which is why I topped out at 26.

Since then I've gradually refined the collection and it now stands at 12 (the details and the stories behind them are in my 'Detailed SOTC- June 2017' thread that I posted a couple of weeks ago).

I wear all of them in rotation pretty equally, and don't see myself changing them much at this point.

If I had won the lottery last night (I didn't, of course), I have a wish list of 6 watches that I would buy, but I don't feel my life is incomplete without them.

So I guess 'the number' is either 12 or 18 depending on your viewpoint...

Simon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the formula for the optimal number of watches at any given point in space and time is Z(n+1) = Z(n)² + C.

Master
    I wrestle with this ; it's so easy to keep adding watches, sometimes harder to move them on. Especially as I have the misfortune to like vaguely unpopular watches. I would never be happy restricting myself to Rolex sports watches, good resale or not.
    In a completely arbitrary way, I am trying to restrict myself to a maximum of six watches; four would be better. At some distant point. No reason, you just have to invent some rule or keep buying.
    It is tricky. There is a lot to be said for one watch; maybe two.......

Quote Originally Posted by Bombus View Post
    12 because that's the size of my watch box

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    I'm with Bombus, however will be letting one go in a few weeks time to leave a gap in my watch box as I have missed the fun of searching FS forums here or eBay etc for that perfect replacement.

So it's 12 at the moment (as it has been for a good few years) then down to 11, then back up again to 12 in a few months time maybe?

Cheers!
    Mark