closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: BMW 3 Series GT - Anyone have one?

BMW 3 Series GT - Anyone have one?

This is partially linked to my earlier thread about hot hatches and potential replacement cars. If we don't upgrade the wife's small 3 door hatch back then I might change my own car which is a Octavia VRS Estate. Its a great all rounder and very little could replace it pound for pound.

I've been through the usual obvious family estate cars (A4, C Class, 3/5 series/ Superb) and could draft a long email about the pros and cons of them all........but I keep coming back to one car and that's the 3 Series GT possibly in one of its more powerful engine guises like a 330i or 330d M Sport or even 340/335d subject to cost.

They get mixed critical reviews in the car press and actually have very few on line video reviews but I suspect most don't really know how to categorise it and of course I accept its not a obviously pretty car.

But looking at owners reviews they seem to love them on Carbuyer and Parkers. It's got a massive hatch back boot, the interior space of a 5 series and is supposed a more compliant and comfortable than 3 series on longer journeys. Add in all the powerful/efficient engines, nice auto box and decent spec then it sounds great.

Here is a decent example currently on sale at one of the car supermarkets.

https://www.motorpoint.co.uk/vehicle...tchback/721076

So just wondering if we had any owners / ex owners with good or bad experiences?

Cheers.

Chris

Master
    We've had one since March last year and I can find no fault with it.

They were running a deal on contract hire at the time, so we have it for two years.

It's the 335d. 50mpg when the wife's driving but 313bhp too. The engine and gearbox are fabulous.

Boot is massive as is the rear cabin. No heated/electic seats as standard, which I was surprised at though.

As its a lease I wasn't about to start adding options.

My wife's cousin has the 435d GC and is equally impressed.

The only thing I didn't like was the run flat tyres so I swapped those for regular tyres.

Any specific questions, fire away!

Ryan
    Last edited by demonloop; 27th June 2017 at 17:41.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    We've had one since March last year and I can find no fault with it.

They were running a deal on contract hire at the time, so we have it for two years.

It's the 335d. 50mpg when the wife's driving but 313bhp too. The engine and gearbox are fabulous.

Boot is massive as is the rear cabin. No heated/electic seats as standard, which I was surprised at though.

As its a lease I wasn't about to start adding options.

My wife's cousin has the 435d GC and is equally impressed.

The only thing I didn't like was the run flat tyres so I swapped those for regular tyres.

Any specific questions, fire away!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan that's helpful. I've been out in a 430d GC and very impressed but I prefer the larger boot space of the GT. My local BMW AD has a 335 GT in stock at a sensible price which is tempting but the link to the one at Motorpoint.

How do you feel it drives in terms of size. Despite being called a 3 series its more 5 series scale and so wondered how nimble and sporty it was? Did you stick with the standard 18 inch rims or go for the 19 inch?

I just need to get out in one but having arranged 3 test drives with a two different dealerships they've all messed up and not made it available on time. Frustrating.

Great cars but hard to look at, suppose that won't matter when you're driving.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    This. Good cars, but very awkward looking. Personally, I'd much rather have an estate than the GT, but as they're relatively unloved the GT deals seem better.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    This. Good cars, but very awkward looking. Personally, I'd much rather have an estate than the GT, but as they're relatively unloved the GT deals seem better.
    That's always in my thoughts but for me space in the back of the 3 series is too tight and 5 series too new.

Probably unfair to say it's hard to look at ......it's no Ssangyong.

And yes GT deals are good on something like CarWow with best prices almost 20% off.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

As a personal purchase - be careful. Hard to sell on - which is OK if you're buying used and at a good price, but otherwise.....get a different model!

4 series Gran Coupe would be a better bet, depending on the deal, of course.

We've had a 328GT for just over two years and I can't fault it. It's got lots of rear legroom, a massive boot and is very comfy and reliable. In the right colour and MSport spec it can look good too.

Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    As a personal purchase - be careful. Hard to sell on - which is OK if you're buying used and at a good price, but otherwise.....get a different model!
    That's the plan. Either buy new with a very good discount or up to 12 months old and more like 35% off.

Quote Originally Posted by 5avvy View Post
    We've had a 328GT for just over two years and I can't fault it. It's got lots of rear legroom, a massive boot and is very comfy and reliable. In the right colour and MSport spec it can look good too.
    What colour did you go for? I'd probably give the solid colours a miss but like it silver, grey or the classic BMW Estoril Blue.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by afcneal View Post
    Tend to agree hence the price quoted.

Personally I couldn't live with the looks but we are all different, thank heavens.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey99 View Post
    What colour did you go for? I'd probably give the solid colours a miss but like it silver, grey or the classic BMW Estoril Blue.

It's Mineral grey, really suits it as does the Estoril blue.

Master
    Thanks Ryan that's helpful. I've been out in a 430d GC and very impressed but I prefer the larger boot space of the GT. My local BMW AD has a 335 GT in stock at a sensible price which is tempting but the link to the one at Motorpoint.

How do you feel it drives in terms of size. Despite being called a 3 series its more 5 series scale and so wondered how nimble and sporty it was? Did you stick with the standard 18 inch rims or go for the 19 inch?

I just need to get out in one but having arranged 3 test drives with a two different dealerships they've all messed up and not made it available on time. Frustrating.
    Size wise, I've always considered it a 4 series size. Not sure it's quite 5 series. But it's no problem to drive. Parking sensors work great, and it's not very wide. The car was supplied on the 18" rims, but I wanted the 19s so swapped them out with a set from ebay. This means I can hand the car back with mint 18s too, so no fear of kerbing wheels that aren't mine.

It's certainly powerful though, in sport mode and with the gearbox in sport mode, it rips through the gears rapidly. And sport mode firms up the suspension too, so not bad through the corners.

They don't seem popular which I think will hit residuals, so they're a great buy at 2-4 years old imo. I'd be very tempted to buy one when this lease is up.

I should also have added, I've quite warmed to the shape, so much so I prefer it to the saloon. But I like the estate best of all.

As a reference were paying £240 p/m on a 2 year lease if you're considering that option.
    Last edited by demonloop; 27th June 2017 at 22:25.

Craftsman
    I bought one back in Feb. 12 months old (so two years of warranty still remaining) and low mileage but hugely cheaper than list price. Initial depreciation is brutal so I figured let the first owner take the hit. My thread at the time:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...eedback-please

Quote Originally Posted by gary1064 View Post
    I bought one back in Feb. 12 months old (so two years of warranty still remaining) and low mileage but hugely cheaper than list price. Initial depreciation is brutal so I figured let the first owner take the hit. My thread at the time:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...eedback-please
    Thanks. I should have really looked for an earlier thread. An unsurprising spread or comments really.

Sounds like everyone who has had one either really rates it or has no issues other than perhaps run flats.

Clearly I had better consider the rear camera which makes sense with that high boot line.

I've had a look for current lease offers but nothing jumped out at me. I'll keep scouring the classified for the best spec / price combo.

Thanks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Beemer do make some ugly bugs but you can't fault Teutonic build and efficiency. When I first saw the X6 I thought it horrible but there are so many looky likey now. The Merc GLC(?) would be my choice if I could, or wanted to, afford it.

Craftsman

BMW 3 Series GT - Anyone have one?

It's the 335d. 50mpg when the wife's driving but 313bhp too
    I have one and concur with most of the comments, although this surprised me

I have the 320dGT auto and get 44mpg driving very sensibly approx 55miles per day mainly fast A road, I have just clocked 20k

Every time I drive it I think it seems to get bigger, defiantly getting a 2/3 series regular next time

Great lease car, but I would not buy one with hard cash, just my opinion though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by J3w3ll3r; 28th June 2017 at 10:35.

Craftsman
    I'm just coming up to the end of my three year PCP on the Luxury spec. 320d. Mechanically it's been faultless but I had all the chrome replaced around the windows when it became "milky", a well known BMW fault. Sadly, even after a second attempt to fit it, wind noise increased but I couldn't be bothered to let them try a third time so lived with it.

As to the car - it's big and practical, huge boot, great rear legroom and as others have said, comfortable and economical on a run. I was torn between the ride comfort but slightly compromised handling of the Luxury and the looks and handling of the M-Sport and the dreadful eighties interior embellishments with blue and red trim finishers. I went for the Lux and frankly it was a mistake - the length and weight make it impossible to drive in any kind of a spirited way which has been license friendly but is relentlessly dull. Overall I can't fault it for what it is but I certainly have never loved it and could only recommend it if its unique attributes fit the bill.

They have EPIC depreciation for a BMW. I am close to the mileage limit on my PCP and the car books, six months before handback, at £2500 less than the GFV so maybe another £1000 before then. A good buy at auction for someone but I'm left with nothing in it for the first time on a PCP. Discounts would have to be strong to make it a good buy and an ex-demo or ex-BMW management car with 5k on is going to save you 30% at least. That said, if they are supporting the car with finance packages then the monthlies may work.

All in all I'd give it a lukewarm 6/10. Nothing wrong with it (except it's a magnet for carpark scrapes - it is long and mine has been bumper scraped three times in supermarkets) but hard to love and other models would probably have suited me better.

Craftsman

Clearly I had better consider the rear camera which makes sense with that high boot line.

[/url]
    Rear Camera is standard. That or you'd have a subscription to a repainting service for corner knocks.

Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    Rear Camera is standard. That or you'd have a subscription to a repainting service for corner knocks.
    Thanks I hadn't noticed that as it doesn't seem to listed on all the Autotrader adds.

I'm not sure how anyone can defend the looks.

Revel in the awful looks. I do with the octavia!

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    I'm not sure how anyone can defend the looks.

Revel in the awful looks. I do with the octavia!
    I saw the photo before the comment and I actually thought your were going to be defending the looks.

Agrees it's not the most handsome car but I do like it in the flesh.

Then again some people like Hublot watches

Blog Entries
    I like it. OK, it's not got the svelte figure of 3 series saloon or 4 series GC but it works in a utilitarian kinda way....

sent from TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I went from a VRS Octavia estate via a Superb estate to a 340i Touring. I did look at the GT's but the deals available on the 340i were very good and my wife preferred the traditional estate look. I miss the room the superb afforded us, but the 340i with MSPPK makes up for it in smiles!

Quote Originally Posted by SNA View Post
    I went from a VRS Octavia estate via a Superb estate to a 340i Touring. I did look at the GT's but the deals available on the 340i were very good and my wife preferred the traditional estate look. I miss the room the superb afforded us, but the 340i with MSPPK makes up for it in smiles!
    Ok interesting. Was that purchase or lease deal on the 340i?

Also how did you fee about the Superb compared to the Octavia. I've not dismissed the Superb Sportline as a real contender.

Craftsman
    I bought the 340i touring, I had a 24% discount on list which made it an attractive purchase, given the performance for what is essentially a family wagon.

I really liked the Superb. The actual kit level was brilliant, I picked up a s/h one 18 months old at the time with the elegance trim. It had the 1.8 tsi petrol engine and the 4x4 drivetrain, which was unsurprisingly disappointing in performance compared to the VRS petrol and diesel that we had previously. I liked the car though, great value, the space was immense, I replaced it with one of the last Defenders and I think that has less space in it!!

Quote Originally Posted by SNA View Post
    I bought the 340i touring, I had a 24% discount on list which made it an attractive purchase, given the performance for what is essentially a family wagon.

Just seen on BMW website (Peter Vardy) that BMW will include a £8,600 deposit contribution on this model which is about 20% which is a good start. That does tie you into a 4 year PCP deal but at 2.90% its not awful.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by astonandy View Post
    No it isn't.

Craftsman
    No it isn't.
    True. It is an option or comes bundled with the parking pack, personally I would not bother with the advanced parking pack if I was ordering again. Only item I wish I had specified and did not was folding mirrors :doh:

Craftsman
    No it isn't.
    It was what I was told when I got mine - I stand corrected. Every car in stock had the camera and rear parking sensors on. Perhaps it was std on the Luxury or at launch? Nav wasn't standard when I got mine and is now so...

I would definitely want it even as an option.

ETA - Checked the paperwork and it's not specified as an option but the pricelist I have from the time definitely says it was - £330 - so my bad, it was always an option just must have been a frequent stock build item as it was inexpensive.
    Last edited by astonandy; 29th June 2017 at 07:48. Reason: New information