closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch hunting in Brighton

Craftsman

Watch hunting in Brighton

So, I will be in Brighton for a weekend in July.

Are there any watch hunting grounds there?

I am after pre-owned watches but would also like to check out new Rolex and Tudor.

Master
    New Rolex: WOS, Ship Street
    New Tudor: Goldsmiths in Churchill Square

Vintage/pre-owned: Go to The Laines - Ocean Jewellers, and another round the corner in Brighton Square (one with the small fountain) who's name I forget.

Craftsman
    Thank you!

I have been in touch with both Goldsmiths and WOS. Both are very friendly.

Goldsmiths is willing to help with the watches I am looking for. WOS says their waitlists are very long for the few Rolex models I am looking for (SD43, BLNR and Daytona).

Master
    As mentioned, Ocean Jewellers is worth a visit.

Apprentice
    I enjoy cruising the lanes looking at vintage pieces

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Thanks. Will definitely pop into Ocean Jewellers.

Any advice in nearby Worthing and further, perhaps up to Portsmouth?

Thank you all in advance!

Master
    Not much in Worthing apart from http://www.pressleys.co.uk/

Chichester has a better selection, couple of shops selling used watches plus a Rolex AD (R.L Austen).

Master
    Chichester also has an Omega jewellers, but it's not an exciting place for watches. The Rolex place has stuff like both versions of the Milgaus, but it's pot luck...like everywhere else. Quite a few nice cafes and pubs.

Was down there on Friday for my birthday having a browse.

Ocean Jewellers had a good collection of second hand Rolex's ceramic Sub below list and cheaper than other known second hand dealers. Few Panerais on show also.

The one by the fouintain next to the Cronut place, had some nice APs.

WoS lot's of Tag, Cartier, some 2nd hand Pam's nice Rolex display.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by NickMSM View Post
    Not much in Worthing apart from http://www.pressleys.co.uk/

Chichester has a better selection, couple of shops selling used watches plus a Rolex AD (R.L Austen).
    Hmm... The Pressleys there is a Rolex AD if I didn't read the website wrongly. Will write to them and see where they can help. Thanks!

Any experience with the used watch shops?

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Chichester also has an Omega jewellers, but it's not an exciting place for watches. The Rolex place has stuff like both versions of the Milgaus, but it's pot luck...like everywhere else. Quite a few nice cafes and pubs.
    Certainly won't hurt to drop Austen an email either. Thanks too!

I do love the Lanes in Brighton HaPpY hunting grounds and the little Italian restaurant who's name I can't recall just out of the Lanes.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I found Ocean Jewlers very disappointing. I was going to buy a TopTime, they had 2 in the window.

They knew virtually nothing about them and wouldn't budge on price at all.

Watch Religion is the other place in the lanes by the fountain.

There's also James Ross Jewellers in Portslade.

Craftsman
    Thanks All. Sounds like I will be able to have a lot of fun that weekend!

I last passed the place in dolphin square a month ago and they had 3 new blnr's all at £7.5k, they had a hulk at 7.5k, a deepblue at £12k, a black ceramic daytona at £14500, so that had pretty much all the hard to gets in one place if you're prepared to pay 15-50% above RRP

Quote Originally Posted by andykllhr View Post
    I enjoy cruising the lanes looking at vintage pieces

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    I last passed the place in dolphin square a month ago and they had 3 new blnr's all at £7.5k, they had a hulk at 7.5k, a deepblue at £12k, a black ceramic daytona at £14500, so that had pretty much all the hard to gets in one place if you're prepared to pay 15-50% above RRP
    Thanks for this too.

TBH, with the premium, it may even be worth a try if I can get a VAT refund. Wonder if it is possible with that shop...

Quote Originally Posted by ywl23n View Post
    Thanks for this too.

TBH, with the premium, it may even be worth a try if I can get a VAT refund. Wonder if it is possible with that shop...
    Can you get a VAT refund on pre owned goods?

I'm not sure you can on second hand retail goods but I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Can you get a VAT refund on pre owned goods?

I'm not sure you can on second hand retail goods but I'm happy to be proven wrong.
    Not with pre-owned goods.

However, I am not sure how the VAT system works and will have to check further. According to tz-uk73's post, the watches are sold new. Therefore, what I have to establish before I go is what is the variable in such cases that determines whether VAT refund is possible - Is it the registered trade of the shop or is it the nature of the product purchased?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    I found Ocean Jewlers very disappointing. I was going to buy a TopTime, they had 2 in the window.

They knew virtually nothing about them and wouldn't budge on price at all.
    Yep have to agree, their prices are top dollar and they don't seem particularly interested in the stock they're selling. Good window shopping though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Yep have to agree, their prices are top dollar and they don't seem particularly interested in the stock they're selling. Good window shopping though.
    Hmm... Perhaps they are the type that look at your wrist when you enter the shop? If you are not wearing a Patek, they are not interested.

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    Quite a few of their watches in the window don't have prices displayed, and it's always the ones I'm interested in! I've used them for servicing and they were good, but never bought from them.

Craftsman
    Will still pop by and have a look since I am in the area and may stay there for the weekend and not want to make the trip to London this trip.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ywl23n View Post
    Not with pre-owned goods.

However, I am not sure how the VAT system works and will have to check further. According to tz-uk73's post, the watches are sold new. Therefore, what I have to establish before I go is what is the variable in such cases that determines whether VAT refund is possible - Is it the registered trade of the shop or is it the nature of the product purchased?
    Simple question : are these good being sold

(1) under the Margin scheme for VAT accounting on secondhand goods

OR

(2) does the sale attract Standard Rate VAT ?

The first is not eligible for a VAT reclaim, the only VAT collected by HMRC having been 1/6 of the difference between cost and selling price.

The second will be eligible for a reclaim if other criteria are met, as the VAT collected will have been 1/6 of the full price paid.

H
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 28th June 2017 at 10:26.

Craftsman
    Thank you Haywood. That makes my enquiry a lot easier and clearer. Cheers!

The shop by the fountain in Brighton Square is no longer called Watch Religion. It changed hands a few months back and is now called Lanes Watch Company. It appears to have a decent window of used modern Rolex and AP but I can't vouch for pricing or quality of service. They advertise on Chrono24 so you'll get a sense of their stock there.

Agree with comments on Ocean Jewellers - they usually have some interesting watches but don't appear to have invested any of their takings in customer services training.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    Each time I have enquired with various grey dealers about VAT off on stickered as "new" Rolex, I am always told "sorry" due to as Haywood says:

(1) under the Margin scheme for VAT accounting on secondhand goods

The exception to that was Blowers once, they had certain watches marked beginning with a W in the code on their old website that were eligible for VAT deductions however they dont seem to offer this anymore judging by the codes on their new website nowadays - however I have not asked specifically.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seagull View Post
    The shop by the fountain in Brighton Square is no longer called Watch Religion. It changed hands a few months back and is now called Lanes Watch Company. It appears to have a decent window of used modern Rolex and AP but I can't vouch for pricing or quality of service. They advertise on Chrono24 so you'll get a sense of their stock there.

Agree with comments on Ocean Jewellers - they usually have some interesting watches but don't appear to have invested any of their takings in customer services training.
    Thanks for the information!

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    The exception to that was Blowers once...
    Interesting point, that probably confirms that a same shop may be selling watches under 2 different VAT schemes. From my limited understanding, this should only apply to brand new watches, as preowned ones are always sold under Margin scheme.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes it was fully stickered and sourced from a Italian AD judging by the card