closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: When did the Daytona first become desirable?

Journeyman

When did the Daytona first become desirable?

Does anyone remember when the Cosmograph first became a desirable watch so much so that it attracted a premium over list price.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    I think it was a Thursday.

Master
    A long time ago - 1980s? Haywood or Mike Wood would know. Sven Goran-Eriksson wore one and when Ruebens Barichello won his first GP he asked for a ss Daytona as his reward. Its always been the ss version especially in Italy. The legendary waiting list may have been there (or not) depending who you were. The older model dropped in price for a few weeks with the arrival of the ceramic model. That drop was to about £6k, just about what they were in the 90s(?) but they've climbed again to approx £8.5k so they still have the desirability but now more available. Mike Wood has one and Haywood had one both at just under£9k

Craftsman
    I remember my boss buying the pre ceramic model 3 years or so ago from Iconic. At that time he paid £500 over RRP. At the same time I bought a DSSD and paid £1,750 less than RRP. Times have certainly changed.

When I bought my submariner in 2001 I wanted a daytona and they were selling well over list at the time. Iirc list was around £4k and they were around £5k and a bit. So they've been "desirable" as long as I've been in to watches and no doubt much longer too.

Master
    The four digit, hand wound models were, in their day, difficult to give away. Today they are collectors items.

The automatic 16520 was an instant success and soon attracted a two year waiting list and things have been the same ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    The four digit, hand wound models were, in their day, difficult to give away. Today they are collectors items.

The automatic 16520 was an instant success and soon attracted a two year waiting list and things have been the same ever since.
    I have heard that some dealers still had Paul Newman Daytonas in stock as late as the late 70s / early 80s as no one wanted to buy them. These watches are now commanding six figure sums, a true investment if ever there was one.

Master
    I got seriously into watches (and the forums) around 2001. At that time, the zenith models were selling NIB at about two times their msrp in the USA.

It's been crazy for a long time.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I have heard that some dealers still had Paul Newman Daytonas in stock as late as the late 70s / early 80s as no one wanted to buy them. These watches are now commanding six figure sums, a true investment if ever there was one.
    Incredible isn't it.

What amazes me is they can't exactly be few and far between, I'm on IG and there's loads posted. There's a chap (Hong Kong way I think) who posts pics of arm full's of the things!

Master
    I would suggest that the threshold where the Daytona changed from struggler to champion was the late 1980s.

On the subject of the PN Daytonas, genuine ones (see what I did there?) are quite rare and it would be misleading to judge this by the number seen on watch fora etc.

There are, though, far rarer models which people like us might know about (Comex, mil subs, Panama Canal, blackout Explorers, Explorer-dial Submariners, Double Swiss and Underline models, original Milgauss, JCK etc) that haven't exploded in the collective psyche of the wider 'mega-wealthy' yet, or at least not as much as I feel they might.

Several hundred thousand for a great PN, or a fraction of that for watches as rare as these?

Throw in some unique provenance, like that of this watch (given by Rolex to our America's Cup team in 1963)

or this one, presented to the Captain of the PGA, and there is real reason for me to get excited.

While an acknowledged Rolex fan-boy, I readily confess that the Paul Newmans mostly do nothing for me. The dials are too fussy to serve their purpose as well as the non-exotic versions, so rather like the 1655s I might study or buy one for its inherent interest, rarity and value, but never derive pleasure from wearing it.

This one, admittedly, did amuse me for the fact that Rolex UK's service appraiser chose unprompted to describe it as he/she did...

Sorry to have taken this a bit off topic: back to the question of the Daytona's historic awakening .....

H
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 27th June 2017 at 10:40.

Is it linkage to a celebrity name, call something Paul Newman or Steve McQueen and people sit up and take note, double Swiss in all fairness sounds more like a cheese.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Is it linkage to a celebrity name, call something Paul Newman or Steve McQueen and people sit up and take note, double Swiss in all fairness sounds more like a cheese.
    If we can perpetuate the "Quentin Crisp" Cellini we'll be onto a winner, yes?

Master
    I am in a minority as it has never been desirable to me.

Yes great history and great movement and i even like the new ceramic version but has always been too small for me.

Good job we don't all like it otherwise it would be more desirable and cost even more above RRP for the new model.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    If we can perpetuate the "Quentin Crisp" Cellini we'll be onto a winner, yes?
    I believe that model had a common problem with dust in the movement.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I believe that model had a common problem with dust in the movement.
    That could really mess up the date change mechanism.