closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GoT

Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    Time and possible money is the reason why the show is moving faster than before, I remember I think on Thronecast they mentioned the scenes for "Battle of the Bastards" took 20 plus days to film, over 500 extras and 100 horses something akin to LOTR (Two Towers & Return of the King) battles scenes.

IMO cramming the usual 10 episodes into 7 episodes will always overlook the sea battle of the Greyjoys and battles at Casterly Rock & High Garden because any new battle scenes has to be better or equal to Battle of the Bastards scenes but hopefully there will be something special like that in season 7.
    Also the cast is getting older in the show & real life (especially the actors/actresses playing Sansa, Bran & Arya) and are contracted to or wanting to do other things like theater, film & higher education.
    Just a shame to watch this over so many years, thoroughly enjoying it, and then feel slightly cheated at the end. Feel like there should be a Director's Cut, with extended battle scenes!
    For example, the sea battle felt like a fight on a single ship. There had to be much more to see.
    I am still enjoying it, but the acceleration in pace is disappointing.

Master
    I'm concerned at the shocking lack of nudity in these later seasons!

I think it was right decision to wrap up in seasons 7 to 8 because 6 felt like it was dragging/meandering. That said watching seasons 1-3 they are postively pedestrian.

Does feel rushed though now though.
    My biggest issue is that all the characters are now wooden and one dimensional despite promising journeys. Dani - wooden, Snow - boring, Sansa - useless, Cersei- psychopath, Arya etc.. Seems like only Jamie and Theon on a journey still.

But still the best show I enjoy most.

Master
    Is it correct that this season is being written by script writers rather than the book author as he hasn't written the final book yet?

If so, could the books be completely different in plot to the TV show?

The first few series were very loyal to the plot in the books.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post

And Dany looks as amazing as ever
    That's Daenerys of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, The Unburnt, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Queen of Meereen, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Realm, Lady Regnant of the Seven Kingdoms, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons to you..

Show some respect to your queen!

Master
    I also feel it's very rushed.

It's hard to believe budget constraints are that big an issue though, given it's worldwide success. I'm not denying it's an unusually expensive production with all the costumes, CGI and battle scenes, but it's also the biggest TV show around at the moment, so one would (?naively) imagine it's well funded.

I agree we could get another 4 or 5 seasons without a dip in quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    I'm concerned at the shocking lack of nudity in these later seasons!

I think it was right decision to wrap up in seasons 7 to 8 because 6 felt like it was dragging/meandering. That said watching seasons 1-3 they are postively pedestrian.

My biggest issue is that all the characters are now wooden and one dimensional despite promising journeys. Dani - wooden, Snow - boring, Sansa - useless, Cersei- psychopath, Arya etc.. Seems like only Jamie and Theon on a journey still.

But still the best show I enjoy most.
    I dunno - Dany and Jon have in many ways always been a bit wooden. Im not sure if its the acting or how they actually want to portray the character. As for Sansa, I'd argue she's grown a lot into the leader she is today. I think by now in Season 7 most characters should (in terms of character growth) be fully developed. Only a few like Jamie, The Hound and Theon are still on some journey and I'm ok on that. Season 7 is really about clearing the board before the big battles of season 8.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post

It's hard to believe budget constraints are that big an issue though, given it's worldwide success. I'm not denying it's an unusually expensive production with all the costumes, CGI and battle scenes, but it's also the biggest TV show around at the moment, so one would (?naively) imagine it's well funded.

I think 4/5 would be too much and no doubt the cast must be getting bored of all this too. Most TV shows can't milk it for 8 seasons, so in that respect they've done well to keep it going this good for so long (even if they have source material). But it does feel now like a TV show and not an adaptation of a book, which will have its pros and cons.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Euron Greyjoy is just running round doing a great Lord Flasheart impersonation, just needs to shout 'woof' more at the ladies. Not sure if it's in the TV show but fairly sure in the books he has a massive horn, ooer, that controls dragons?
    I was trying to think who he reminded me of, perfect!!!

I agree with the pacing comments but I also think it is a nice change from previous seasons, getting to the meaty bits quicker is really quite refreshing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's Daenerys of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, The Unburnt, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Queen of Meereen, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Realm, Lady Regnant of the Seven Kingdoms, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons to you..
    <Davos>"Oh, and he's the King in the North"</Davos>

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wajhart View Post
    <Davos>"Oh, and he's the King in the North"</Davos>
    Ha, that was funny wasnt it :-)

Craftsman
    Is it correct that this season is being written by script writers rather than the book author as he hasn't written the final book yet?

It will be different in the details but the overall story has been based on grr's plot points.

I'm still going to read the books since it will flesh things out a bit because as it stands, it's moving way too fast.

Like take this last episode, jon and Davos basically teleported to dragon stone. I feel Davos has had almost no dialogue. He just met back up with Tyrion and took his loss at kings landing on the chin with like 5 sentences of talk.

Ignoring the fact that tyrion KILLED ALL HIS SONS WITH WILDFIRE.

but his attitude was just like 'oh you win some you lose some'.

having said that, can't wait for the next episode lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
    Yes, I don't think Emilia Clarke is particularly convincing as Dany, particularly as she developed into a conquering queen - I suspect it was quite a difficult role to cast, especially as it had to be an actress who didn't mind getting her jubblies out.

Kit Carrington is another one who was quite good as the younger Snow, but maybe a bit lacking as the role evolved.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by flareslove View Post
    It will be different in the details but the overall story has been based on grr's plot points.
    I am surprised any author worth their salt would allow this... but perhaps it was tied into the original contract - I'm sure there's more complex factors at play.

But most authors would, I imagine, want the book to be crafted and released first, before a tv show set out the plot.

I am surprised any author worth their salt would allow this... but perhaps it was tied into the original contract - I'm sure there's more complex factors at play.

But most authors would, I imagine, want the book to be crafted and released first, before a tv show set out the plot.
    I think GRRM wanted that and realised it wasn't going to happen and has made peace with this. As he says, the books and tv show may have similar start and end points, but the journey will be totally different beasts as they evolve in their own way. I for one can't wait for the books regardless of the TV show.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    I think GRRM wanted that and realised it wasn't going to happen and has made peace with this. As he says, the books and tv show may have similar start and end points, but the journey will be totally different beasts as they evolve in their own way. I for one can't wait for the books regardless of the TV show.
    Also keep in mind that as great as the books were, the readership before and after the show is incomparable.

It's a trade-off that I think any author (along with the money) would happily sign up to.

Now I just wish he'd stop doing all these public appearances and focus on the task at hand!

Master
    I am surprised any author worth their salt would allow this...
    Don't ever read The Running Man then. The film is nothing like the book.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Don't ever read The Running Man then. The film is nothing like the book.
    I think for the vast majority of authors, they relinquish any creative control when they sell their film rights. I think they are best letting the money salve their egos rather than ending up like Alan Moore.

Master
    The debate/discussion/arguments we have most at work are who are your favourites characters. Reason being is the likes of Ramsey Bolton, Euron Greyjoy, Joffrey etc are horrible/psychopathic who you want to suffer their fate but at the same time are what make the programme. Whereas the likes of Jon Snow (just like Rick Grimes in Walking Dead) are the honourable heroes but lets face it Jon Snow is a boring sod! There I've said it, but he is.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    The debate/discussion/arguments we have most at work are who are your favourites characters. Reason being is the likes of Ramsey Bolton, Euron Greyjoy, Joffrey etc are horrible/psychopathic who you want to suffer their fate but at the same time are what make the programme. Whereas the likes of Jon Snow (just like Rick Grimes in Walking Dead) are the honourable heroes but lets face it Jon Snow is a boring sod! There I've said it, but he is.
    The villians are the best part of GoT!

The obv answer is The Hound: he's a total bastard, has some of the best lines in the series and seems to be on an interesting personal journey.

Joffrey and Euron were a tad cartoon villain whereas as Ramsey was proper evil.

Master
    Have to agree about Ramsay Bolton. Guy was brilliant at playing the repulsive, cruel, barbaric etc character but could make you laugh in between the shocks.
    As I said earlier in the thread Euron could be great if they keep him alive long enough. Although with Cersei promising to marry him if she wins the war, I don't fancy his chances if it looks as if it might happen. A swift kiss followed by a nosebleed might be his end.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    rather than ending up like Alan Moore.
    Could be worse people to end up like. Alan Moore is one of the best authors of our time, IMHO. And possibly not averse to allowing cash to win-out occassionally (the film of 'From Hell', for example)

Quote Originally Posted by Hewjardon View Post
    Could be worse people to end up like. Alan Moore is one of the best authors of our time, IMHO. And possibly not averse to allowing cash to win-out occassionally (the film of 'From Hell', for example)
    I fully agree - a lot of his 2000AD stuff was brilliant, never mind his later stories. I meant that Moore seems find it very difficult to let his creations go, and is embitted when someone changes his vision. He was even reluctant to say anything positive about Watchmen, and that's about as close as Hollywood is going to get to a faithful comic book adaption.

Latest episode is an absolute cracker. Can't complain about lack of action.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    Latest episode is an absolute cracker. Can't complain about lack of action.
    Fantastic news Particularly looking forward to tonight's viewing, knowing that it is action packed

Craftsman
    Best episode so far this series. Really looking forward to where they take it from here.

It's probably not lack of budget but time that makes this season feel rushed.

A Hollywood action film can take a year to plan / shoot /post production - for 120mins of Movie. GoT have a year to produce 6 hour long episodes and a feature length finale in that time. It's remarkable how they get it done.

Grand Master
    Really good episode as said above, but it does feel rushed, like they're just nipping down the road for a battle, not trekking hundreds of miles.

The other seasons have shown the slow progress of how things happen, this one just feels a bit Hollywood, with the jumping around from one battle to the next, not thinking that in reality there would be weeks, if not months between them.

It is starting to feel a bit like 24, with time not really being linear anymore.

I really enjoyed the episode tonight. It's about time we saw a dragon properly in action!

Master
    Tonight was a surprise, a bit slow a first, lots talk and then......

But why just one Dragon when there are another two??? Like in the beginning of S6E9.

But why just one Dragon when there are another two??? Like in the beginning of S6E9.

Reminds me of Ramsay starving his dogs ready for battle, and then never using them, especially when the battle was on a knife edge.

Craftsman
    I'm guessing because she can "control" one dragon. The rest would be carnage. Fantastic episode though

Master
    S6E9 - Daenrrys "controls" one (Drogon the larger/more aggressive dragon) and the other two (Rhaegal & Viserion) follow suit by burning the Meereen navy.

Master
    Tonight was a surprise, a bit slow a first, lots talk and then......

Because Jon and Tyrian don't know how to ride them yet 😜

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Reminds me of Ramsay starving his dogs ready for battle, and then never using them, especially when the battle was on a knife edge.
    Without wishing to post spoilers, the dogs were clearly a plot setup for later, otherwise, as you say they'd have been used. No point overanalysing it though, or else you end up in ridiculous Star Wars/Star Trek type discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Because Jon and Tyrian don't know how to ride them yet 
    Three dragons, three "good guys" - I think you could well be onto something there!

For those of you who enjoy the odd meme

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/pictures/...-war/85430945/

Finale is going to be arya showdown vs cersei, then enter the mountain.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Some great one-liners in last nights episode too.

Have to concur with much of what was said above (minus spoiliers) - certain journeys just seem to happen now and folks up all liek "oh hey i've wandered" whereas before that would have been shown across 3-4 episodes. Maybe previosu seasons were a little plodding but now it feels far too quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post

It is starting to feel a bit like 24, with time not really being linear anymore.
    The reason is how the story has been written by GRRM. He started splitting stories up in books 4 and 5 which skewed the timing of events and the TV show has been following the narrative up to a few years ago. Bringing it all together was always going to feel a bit disjointed but they've done a good job so far I think. Besides I reckon there has been enough talking done in previous seasons, its really all about the action now.

I thought the last episode was the best this season by a mile, good to see Bronn back in action!

Master
    Looks like episode 5 is going to be a big one by the title and promo (on youtube - top of trending). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_Thrones_(season_7)

AFAIK, the author of the books has said that the TV show will be different to the books.

Your are right, the first few series and books were aligned. I think 4 is the magic number where they went separate ways.

I thought there were at least 2 more books before the end, not sure the series will last that long.

I do enjoy the whole lot, but its a bit mean only around 8 episodes per series and those are only around 40 mins each.

I mean SoA, (not in the same league) at least had the decency to have 12 shows or so per series and each on average around 50 mins!

[yt]https://youtu.be/pE2wcBeyNdk[/yt]

Great episode - the last 10-minutes in particular.

The only downside were the scenes when wooden-Bran made an appearance.

The staring, the emotionless face, the sheer dullness... we get it, you're the three-eyed raven!

Master
    Best episode I've seen in a while!

+1 to seeing Bronn back in action, another anti-hero who has become something of a fan favourite, glad he didn't meet a quick and pointless demise.

Dany's dragons make things a little bit one sided... however a friend of mine who is a religious GoT fanatic put me on to a little spoiler/theory which I'll post waaaaay below - don't read it if you don't want the next couple of episodes ruined.

Down a bit...

.....and a bit more....

In a little excursion "beyond the wall" Jon Snow gets in bother with the Night King again and calls on Dany for help, who immediately flies to the rescue with her dragons. The Night King manages to kill Viserion but the heroes all escape with their lives.

Cut to the end of the episode and we see Viserion open his eyes - bright blue! The Night King has resurrected Viserion as part of the White Walker army.

Could be a load of B.S. but it would certainly even the odds a bit!

Arya whacks cersei. Then hopefully between the dragons and the dragonglass the alliance can wax those blue creaking things from the north. Cue cuddly ending with Jon snow getting it together with the blonde bird.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Arya whacks cersei. Then hopefully between the dragons and the dragonglass the alliance can wax those blue creaking things from the north. Cue cuddly ending with Jon snow getting it together with the blonde bird.
    Who's his Auntie

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Cue cuddly ending with Jon snow getting it together with the blonde bird.
    'coz everyone loves a bit of incest with their Monday night viewing.

Joking apart I think that'll happen. Still weird though.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post

They've not been shy on the incest front so far though have they?

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post

That's not incest is it? How are they related?