closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I keep this watch?

Should I keep this watch?

Evening chaps.

So around 2 months ago, I took delivery of a sinn 103 ST SA from page and cooper.

This was, and still is, the most expensive watch I've purchased but it definitely gets the least amount of wrist time.

I'm extremely new to watches and was even newer when I bought it, and I think I chose the wrong watch for me. I think it's beautiful to look at but I just don't love it. The same thing happened with a squale 1521 (blue face) while I loved the look of it, on wrist it was so so for me.

I've enquired about part exchanging it with various places, watchfinder etc and they all offer insanely low prices (watches of sutton offered £600 and he had to research the brand because he'd never heard of it)

My thoughts now are to sell it privately or trade with someone for something I really want.

I wanted to get someone elses opinion before I make a decision. Is it a watch that I'll learn to love?

Cheers guys

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Master
    Well I for one think it's a lovely looking watch. What do you think you would want to trade it against?

I do like the look of it and can appreciate that side of it, but for whatever reason I haven't gelled with it. In an ideal world, I'd trade it for a couple watches (trading down if you want to call it that). I really like steinhart (controversial I know) Ginault ocean rover appeals to me, maybe a different squale. I think divers are my thing.

Trade up not down :)

It's a lovely watch but you sound like you've already decided it's not for you. I suspect there's a watch out there that you REALLY want? Whenever I start to think about flipping a watch it's usually because there's something else I'd like instead.

Most watches depreciate from RRP so don't necessarily expect to get back what you paid. Chrono24 is a good ball park for values.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Trade up not down :)
    Haha I know I know, I think I'm just basing it on what I wear the most now and I'd rather have several watches in regular rotation as opposed to one gathering dust.

Journeyman
    Personally I like it. If you are already thinking it was a mistake then change it for something you like makes sense (even if you are going to pay a tax for it). For me the 12 months of deliberations about the watch I want is as enjoyable as the actual purchase (don't rush to change until you know what you really want!)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I had similar with a sinn 556. Loved it in pictures, in reality it never felt right.

Sell it and move on.

Sent from my SM-G950F using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    It's a lovely watch but you sound like you've already decided it's not for you. I suspect there's a watch out there that you REALLY want? Whenever I start to think about flipping a watch it's usually because there's something else I'd like instead.

Most watches depreciate from RRP so don't necessarily expect to get back what you paid. Chrono24 is a good ball park for values.
    I think you're right, I think I just wanted to hear that I'm not doing the wrong thing. I haven't had anything specific in mind but a general idea of what I think I'll wear more often.

Absolutely, I knew there would be depreciation but being offered a third of the retail seemed low? I emailed chrono but they never got back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombus View Post
    Personally I like it. If you are already thinking it was a mistake then change it for something you like makes sense (even if you are going to pay a tax for it). For me the 12 months of deliberations about the watch I want is as enjoyable as the actual purchase (don't rush to change until you know what you really want!)

Definitely agree, the hunt is almost more enjoyable than the actual purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    I had similar with a sinn 556. Loved it in pictures, in reality it never felt right.

Sell it and move on.

Since getting this one I have wondered if I would have been happier with a 556 or maybe a 104. 556 seems like something I would wear daily. I have a hamilton khaki that gets a lot of wear because it's small, light and legible. The 103 seems a little too fancy for me I think and I want something I can wear regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by ashleypriestley View Post
    I emailed chrono but they never got back to me.

Just to be clear, this is the website I suggest you should look at for values: http://www.chrono24.co.uk/search/ind...goal_suggest=1

Most are dealer prices but you do see some private sales and they should give you a ball park figure. If you are new to the hobby you might want to resign yourself to the fact that you are either going to start to amass a collection or you are going to get through a load of watches until you find the one. I flipped many watches over 24 months. The one keeps getting away though!

A very attractive watch and a lovely shade of blue, but if it hasn't grown on you by now I don't think it will. Maybe it is time to move it on.

Just to be clear, this is the website I suggest you should look at for values: http://www.chrono24.co.uk/search/ind...goal_suggest=1

Most are dealer prices but you do see some private sales and they should give you a ball park figure. If you are new to the hobby you might want to resign yourself to the fact that you are either going to start to amass a collection or you are going to get through a load of watches until you find the one. I flipped many watches over 24 months. The one keeps getting away though!
    That's one of the sites I enquired with about selling through them, I just didn't get a reply. Good idea for referencing for prices on there though, so thank you!

I think I've settled in to my stride a bit more now, this watch is the only one I'm having buyers remorse over.

Which one keeps getting away??

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    A very attractive watch and a lovely shade of blue, but if it hasn't grown on you by now I don't think it will. Maybe it is time to move it on.
    I think you're right!

Good idea for referencing for prices on there though, so thank you!

Which one keeps getting away??

No problem :-) The reality is that I don't think there is a 'the one'. I've had many watches that I genuinely believed to be 'the one' and they've not stood the test of time. At the minute, 'the one' is a GMT BLNR but who knows if that will live up to my expectations (if I ever get the call!!).

I think you're right!

That's just the way it is. Someone will buy it off you and absolutely love it from day one.

No problem :-) The reality is that I don't think there is a 'the one'. I've had many watches that I genuinely believed to be 'the one' and they've not stood the test of time. At the minute, 'the one' is a GMT BLNR but who knows if that will live up to my expectations (if I ever get the call!!).
    Beautiful piece! Hope you're lucky enough to get hold of it.

Craftsman
    I would actually say give it a bit more time. Firstly you may grow to like it and secondly the residuals are not going to change in the next month. I bought a Seiko Pogue based on pictures and when it arrived I did not like it, but as I have worn it I have grown to like and appreciate it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mr_esearch View Post
    I would actually say give it a bit more time. Firstly you may grow to like it and secondly the residuals are not going to change in the next month. I bought a Seiko Pogue based on pictures and when it arrived I did not like it, but as I have worn it I have grown to like and appreciate it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Think I will, thank you for the advice.

You don't say what you don't like about it.
    I'd hang on to it for now, give it some time
    Try it on a nato or a nice brown leather strap.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    You don't say what you don't like about it.
    I'd hang on to it for now, give it some time
    Try it on a nato or a nice brown leather strap.
    For me it's too fancy, and not in a dress watch kind of way, I appreciate the aesthetics but don't like it on wrist. Think I prefer a more rugged watch.

I've tried it on a few straps and I do like it better on leather.

If you don't like it, you don't like it. Chop it in.
    Personally, I love these puppies.

Craftsman
    Indeed, straps can make a huge difference, in both looks and feel. I have the E version of the same watch and wearing it on a Hirsch George performance strap is a pleasure. You can pick up inexpensive soft leather straps for very little and experiment a little?

edit: Ah , I see that you have! Nice strap.
    Last edited by khumzi; 25th June 2017 at 20:47.

I really fancied one. Tried one on, and found it sat very high.

Quote Originally Posted by khumzi View Post
    Indeed, straps can make a huge difference, in both looks and feel. I have the E version of the same watch and wearing it on a Hirsch George performance strap is a pleasure. You can pick up inexpensive soft leather straps for very little and experiment a little?

edit: Ah , I see that you have! Nice strap.
    I have a few leather straps so I'll give them a try, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenVrs View Post
    I really fancied one. Tried one on, and found it sat very high.

17.5mm I think which is ridiculously high!

I think 2 months is long enough to know whether it's for you or not; I usually wear a new watch every day for a month and by the end of that time I've bonded with it.

Although a bit boring, it's usually better to stick with the big brands whilst finding out where your tastes lie as they're easier to sell on.

Last year I bought a Damasko which was a very considered purchase having owned various military / military style watches beforehand and knowing exactly what I wanted.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    I think 2 months is long enough to know whether it's for you or not; I usually wear a new watch every day for a month and by the end of that time I've bonded with it.

Although a bit boring, it's usually better to stick with the big brands whilst finding out where your tastes lie. Last year I bought a Damasko which was a very considered purchase having owned various military / military style watches beforehand and knowing exactly what I wanted.

Maybe I should try wearing it everyday for a while. Which damasko did you go for?

DC56 Si. I like it for it's classic minimalist style and tough case. Amongst other things, I sold a Seiko military 2nd generation to pay for it. My first serious watch and 'true love' was an Omega Dynamic Chronograph which now feels a bit small and over styled; I was after a modern update of that.

Looking at the forum on Watchuseek, there's plenty of folk who also buy Damasko in the early stages of watch collecting then sell them on in search of bigger brands.

Last edited by AKM; 25th June 2017 at 21:56.

Very nice! I like minimal and legible which is why i think I'd have been better suited with a sinn 556.

Craftsman
    Nice watch
    If you haven't gelled yet them move it on

Master

Got one!!

Ive got one of these and it's always my go to watch when my initial honeymoon period ends on my new additions!!
    Ive always loved chronographs and especially the proper pilot versions with the bezels and not just a plain case but lots find them cluttered and untidy?!?
    I do have watches in my collection of various prices that I find stunning to look at but just don't do it on the wrist for me however I still keep them just to admire and enjoy visually?!?!?

I wouldn't take £600 for your one if I was you?!! mine when it was new was £1600 I think and they are top notch watches so keep it rather than selling for that silly price!

Chris

Don't get me wrong, the comments so far have definitely been helpful but it's nice to hear from someone with the same watch. How long have you had yours? Did you go for the leather band as opposed to the bracelet?

Definitely won't be getting rid of it at that price, I know they depreciate but I paid £2000 2 months ago, would definitely chose keeping it if that was the only option!

Don't get me wrong, the comments so far have definitely been helpful but it's nice to hear from someone with the same watch. How long have you had yours? Did you go for the leather band as opposed to the bracelet?

Definitely won't be getting rid of it at that price, I know they depreciate but I paid £2000 2 months ago, would definitely chose keeping it if that was the only option!

I've got two chronos that share the same case as yours, one on bracelet and one on a hirsch performance

i don't normally like bracelets but i prefer the bracelet on this watch

I've been through loads of watches and for me this hits the sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post

Although a bit boring, it's usually better to stick with the big brands whilst finding out where your tastes lie as they're easier to sell on.

Last year I bought a Damasko which was a very considered purchase having owned various military / military style watches beforehand and knowing exactly what I wanted.

That's patience! I'm far more impulsive, after a day I've made my mind up.

Trade up fo sho

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    If you don't like it, you don't like it. Chop it in.
    Personally, I love these puppies.
    What he said! If you don't love it, get rid of it. You're only delaying the inevitable.

Master
    Personally i love the look of those Lemania Chrono's really toolish and you've got the benefits of a modern watch with a design that could easily be vintage. An image on the thread with a distressed leather gives it a great vintage look.
    But if it's still not for you I'd heartily recommend visiting WOS , Selfridges watch hall or just loads of AD's.Try on everything get the look and size you like then I'd suggest waiting till you can get onto SC and offer a trade for the model you like. You are allowed to PM people who are offering trades prior you being able to sell on SC.
    Alternatively why not buy real beater watch (Seiko best in class from £150 - £400) and start building up a little collection. It might be that wearing it less frequently might make you appreciate it.
    In general when you've built up to 3-4 watches and beyond the idea of selling or trading becomes a lot less nerve racking.

Master

Here is mine.
    I just love it. It is a bit thick but the case tapers onwards at the back so that conceals the thickness.
    I had thought of letting it go and now I am just happy I did not. I would have regretted it so much. Just keep it, try it for a bit longer and see where it gets you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by samo1337 View Post
    Trade up fo sho
    or get sum new boots on dat mofo

You should get a few PMs:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    Personally i love the look of those Lemania Chrono's really toolish and you've got the benefits of a modern watch with a design that could easily be vintage. An image on the thread with a distressed leather gives it a great vintage look.
    But if it's still not for you I'd heartily recommend visiting WOS , Selfridges watch hall or just loads of AD's.Try on everything get the look and size you like then I'd suggest waiting till you can get onto SC and offer a trade for the model you like. You are allowed to PM people who are offering trades prior you being able to sell on SC.
    Alternatively why not buy real beater watch (Seiko best in class from £150 - £400) and start building up a little collection. It might be that wearing it less frequently might make you appreciate it.
    In general when you've built up to 3-4 watches and beyond the idea of selling or trading becomes a lot less nerve racking.
    I always thought I liked the vintage look with modern design, but in this instance I haven't bonded.
    Yeah, I think I need to spend some time figuring out what I really want and then going to try it on.
    I've got 8 in my collection at the moment and this definitely gets the least amount of wear!

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post

Here is mine.
    I just love it. It is a bit thick but the case tapers onwards at the back so that conceals the thickness.
    I had thought of letting it go and now I am just happy I did not. I would have regretted it so much. Just keep it, try it for a bit longer and see where it gets you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    See I prefer the look of yours to mine. I hope I do end up like you and liking it.

Apprentice
    It's a great looking watch. I know what you mean through. Enjoy it until you're in a position to trade up.

The brand isn't well known amongst the general public in the U.K. and they can be bought for around the £1300 mark so £600 from a trader is probably the best you'll get.

It's a shame but unless you buy the right watches from certain big brands and at the right price, you're always going to take a bath if you want to sell it.

I think that it looks great - but I'm not the one wearing it.

I find that with something new I tend to fixate on it and over think whether it is right or not. Is it too big? Is it too small? Are the lugs to long? Does it sit right on the wrist? ......and so on.

Thats before I've even started the long process of trying various alternate straps.....

If I can manage to get through a few months if this and wear it daily to the point that I am not thinking about it all of the time then I begin to look at it in a different light. It's at this point I know whether it's really for me.

Not following this process has resulted in me buying the same model multiple times over a number of years!

There are a few watches that I absolutely bonded with but only after they had been fully integrated into my daily life. The only reason they are gone now is the drive to 'trade up" to something I had wanted for decades.

Just my 2p's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I think that it looks great - but I'm not the one wearing it.

I find that with something new I tend to fixate on it and over think whether it is right or not. Is it too big? Is it too small? Are the lugs to long? Does it sit right on the wrist? ......and so on.

Thats before I've even started the long process of trying various alternate straps.....

If I can manage to get through a few months if this and wear it daily to the point that I am not thinking about it all of the time then I begin to look at it in a different light. It's at this point I know whether it's really for me.

Not following this process has resulted in me buying the same model multiple times over a number of years!

There are a few watches that I absolutely bonded with but only after they had been fully integrated into my daily life. The only reason they are gone now is the drive to 'trade up" to something I had wanted for decades.

Just my 2p's worth.
    Your 2p's worth is very appreciated.

I think I do the same, fixate on it, and not wearing it very often means that it's almost alien when it's on the wrist.

Wearing it for an extended period might change my opinion.

Trying out a different strap today, see if I get along better with it.

A leather strap looks to be the way to go. Take it on a adventure, trust it, believe in it.

I'm preoccupied with the question that if I can't hear my Spring Drive ticking, is it actually telling the time? - this hobby will drive you mad if you let it.