closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PAYG SIM for children

Master

PAYG SIM for children

Hi

Need to get a PAYG SIM only plan for my son - this will be his first phone so will probably be an old iPhone till he proves he won't lose it.

There seems to have a huge explosion in the number of operators available, for example ID Mobile; The People's Operator etc.which is making the choice more difficult. Anyone here used these newer operators and what are they like?

I'm looking for a SIM Only deal that will have some minutes and text and probably a larger data allowance as kids these days don't seem or talk or text but use online services a lot. Monthly sound of £10 max.

Thanks

Any plan you get will need strong content filtering. This may limit your choices.

Get the BT fiver a month 4G SIM. Has content control and spend caps.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Any plan you get will need strong content filtering. This may limit your choices.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Thanks. Hadn't even thought about content filters. Will have a look at the BT offer.

3 will give you most days for your tenner

Have s look on martins money tips etc

Also Tesco CAP which many dont

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    This is the one we went for for our daughter and it works well.

Blog Entries
    Plusnet do a 500mb download, 5000 texts and 600 mins for £4.95 pm and you can spend cap.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mart broad View Post
    Plusnet do a 500mb download, 5000 texts and 600 mins for £4.95 pm and you can spend cap.
    500mb wont go far

Just 500MB on BT Mobile's fiver-a-month plan too. For £9 you can get 3GB.

BT SIMs also come with access to over 5 million BT Wifi/FON hotspots which are pretty ubiquitous in urban areas, and using them doesn't eat into your allowance. If you have an iPhone, it connects automatically to them without a log-in.

At the moment with Asda you get two gigs of data for a bluey, plus calls and texts
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Tesco
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Plusnet have deals on. My lad has 1gb data and 500 minutes for £5. One month rolling contract and can smartcap as low as £2 (that reminds me)

https://www.plus.net/mobile/plans/sim-only/

look on uswitch And take your pick
    TPO are doing some really good deals

Blog Entries
    My daughter (12) started on giff gaff it was £20 a month goody bag unlimited data mins and texts. That's pretty good in my estimation considering the YouTube. You can go to £10 for 2gb , 500 mins or £12 3gb and 750 mins both unlimited text s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All my kids where on giffgaff, when the ' goodybag" runs out they have to wait until top up time, teaches them to stay off youtube out of the house .

'Goodybag' hardly sounds like a product aimed at adults.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    My daughter (12) started on giff gaff it was £20 a month goody bag unlimited data mins and texts. That's pretty good in my estimation considering the YouTube. You can go to £10 for 2gb , 500 mins or £12 3gb and 750 mins both unlimited text s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by mattleicester View Post
    All my kids where on giffgaff, when the ' goodybag" runs out they have to wait until top up time, teaches them to stay off youtube out of the house .
    Thanks chaps. The Giffgaff offers look quite good. Any issues or anything worth knowing about? Are there things that are not included in whatever plan you pick - voicemail, calls to national rate numbers etc. Is it easy to top up? Can you port numbers to and from etc? Like the idea that you can pick and choose month to month and might be a good way to bump up the data that the kids will get without much cost.

The BT offers look good too, particularly if you get two SIMs together, but you need to sign up to a 12 month SIM only plan on at least one of the SIMs.

Cheers
    Last edited by bambam; 28th June 2017 at 21:56.

If your kids have unlimited smartphone access their sleep will be affected and they will perform less well at school.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Thanks chaps. The Giffgaff offers look quite good. Any issues or anything worth knowing about? Are there things that are not included in whatever plan you pick - voicemail, calls to national rate numbers etc. Is it easy to top up? Can you port numbers to and from etc? Like the idea that you can pick and choose month to month and might be a good way to bump up the data that the kids will get without much cost.

The BT offers look good too, particularly if you get two SIMs together, but you need to sign up to a 12 month SIM only plan on at least one of the SIMs.

Cheers
    Giffgaff is simple you chose what you want, pay and then if it runs out you wait until the renew date, they will allow you to refresh earlier but dont tell the kids that, i found no nasty bills and it was not long before the youth in my abode realised how to manage there data use , most deals have more than enough minutes and unlimited texts.
    They will port your number and let you port out very easily, they run on o2 and apart from the early days i have never had an outage with them. They offer simfree phones to buy but the prices do variate , i picked a 6s plus for the wife off them for £259 a few weeks ago, it was a misprice but the phone still turned up,
    One plus with them was that you can still call giffgaff to giffgaff numbers up to 3 months after your " goodybag/ credit" has expired so the kids where rarely stranded with a phone that was useless because it had no credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    'Goodybag' hardly sounds like a product aimed at adults.
    Did worry me at first , bit like a " happy meal" 👍 Horses for courses , if it provides what you need who cares what the name tag is

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mattleicester View Post
    Giffgaff is simple you chose what you want, pay and then if it runs out you wait until the renew date, they will allow you to refresh earlier but dont tell the kids that, i found no nasty bills and it was not long before the youth in my abode realised how to manage there data use , most deals have more than enough minutes and unlimited texts.
    They will port your number and let you port out very easily, they run on o2 and apart from the early days i have never had an outage with them. They offer simfree phones to buy but the prices do variate , i picked a 6s plus for the wife off them for £259 a few weeks ago, it was a misprice but the phone still turned up,
    One plus with them was that you can still call giffgaff to giffgaff numbers up to 3 months after your " goodybag/ credit" has expired so the kids where rarely stranded with a phone that was useless because it had no credit.
    Thanks, will be getting a couple of SIMs from them.

One other question - hadn't considered buying a phone from them before - did you get a used one? If so, do these come with warranties etc?
    Last edited by bambam; 29th June 2017 at 10:53.