closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex Sports...Buy New, Grey-Dealer or Pre-Owned?

Rolex Sports...Buy New, Grey-Dealer or Pre-Owned?

I'm looking at buying a Rolex SS sports model and have a few buying options that I can't make my mind up over:

New from an AD the price is £5950. I could try to buy from Chronext or other grey-dealers at about £5400-£5500 or buy a pre-owned (3yr old mint) model for about £4800.

Although I'm buying this to own and wear, I'd like to keep as much residual value in the watch as possible in case I'd need to sell in the future.

Which option would you guys go for? Although there is a £500 saving by going pre-owned, I'm starting to think that the difference in price between that and the grey-dealer new version is the cost of a service, which at 3 years I should factor in.

In days gone by, I'd be buying pre-owned every time and never consider new but in the current market, the price difference between pre-owned and new tends to make me reconsider.
    Last edited by Christian; 25th June 2017 at 12:17.

3 yr service interval??
    I think Rolex are now suggesting about 10 years, as of about 2015 or so.
    So used, the residuals are better (as cost is lower) and there is no "service" downside

D

I think you have answered your own question, if the gap between new and used is only in the hundreds then go new.

Master
    With Rolex now giving a 5 year warranty then new for a SS Sports is the way to go.

The difference is like you say around the £500 mark and over the last few months i have seen watches in SC not sell because they are too close in price to a new one.

You may even get the stickers if you buy new.

Apprentice
    for the sake of a few £ going new is a no brainer

What are the general views about new from grey dealer? I only ask because I've seen some people are put off if a watch isn't originally bought from a UK AD and I can't understand why.
    Last edited by Christian; 25th June 2017 at 12:45.

Craftsman
    If it is a reputable grey and it comes with manufacturer warranty, I would consider grey. Unless I want to build a relationship with the AD, which means a few more incoming watches to be added on in the horizon.

Master
    Personally I'd wait and go for a mint second hand one or one that's price accordingly.

Thought of placing a WTB and see what comes of it ?

What watch is it and have you looked into residuals ?

Master
    I like to have my name on the warranty card. Is that worth £500? To me it is but each To their own. Also consider that a new watch has a 5 year warranty, which will not apply to a watch purchased before mid 2015, AFAIK.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Depends on what watch and if it's available from an ad
    If it's available straight away I'd go new if on a waiting list I'd source else where

Craftsman
    If looking for a SS Rolex that's currently in production then I'd go straight to an AD. I'd go on a waiting list if necessary.

Most Grey-Dealers are charging above list price for a new SS Rolex so you won't save much, if any money, and the saving by buying pre-owned (post 2015 with 5 year warranty) is negligible.

Journeyman
    If you can wait my advice would be to join the list and enjoy the experience of buying a new watch

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    I like to have my name on the warranty card. Is that worth £500?

No, not in the real world

Master
    Only you know what state your personal finances are in.
    If I were you I would post a WTB and wait.

£500 may be peanuts to some, but a decent amount of wedge to you.

You haven't stated exactly what SS Rolex you want, but from the OP,I am assuming probably a ceramic Sub.

Let's face it Subs aren't exactly thin on the ground and I'm sure that if you bide your time, a nice one will come along at the right price.
    Just be patient.

It's an Explorer 2 (white face, new model) I'm after. I'm always quite keen to feel like I've got a good deal, so paying RRP never seems appealing! Grey-market saving of £500+, even if my name isn't on the warranty card, tempts me. I've had a WTB for months but no joy which is why I'm now looking new.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    No, not in the real world
    The world of luxury watches is hardly the real world, and 500 sovs is less than 10 percent of retail price. Each to his own of course.

Last edited by Robsmck; 25th June 2017 at 21:17. Reason: Typo

Master
    Another angle, if paying £500. more for a new one means you can walk in, try it on and walk out with it with your name on the papers vs sending nearly £6k to some stranger on the internet and waiting for it to be delivered via the postman etc. that may have some value.
    That said I picked a nice Sub up recently from the SC, had it on my wrist the next day, didn't save a bundle on new but no wait.

The 42mm Explorer II hasn't been particularly popular and are readily available from most ADs.

It may therefore possibly be one of the few SS Rolex where a discount is possible.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    It's an Explorer 2 (white face, new model) I'm after. I'm always quite keen to feel like I've got a good deal, so paying RRP never seems appealing! Grey-market saving of £500+, even if my name isn't on the warranty card, tempts me. I've had a WTB for months but no joy which is why I'm now looking new.
    Fair enough.
    If you've had no joy from your WTB, then definitely go grey IMO.
    Despite some forum member's assertions that £500 is nothing when purchasing a luxury item, it's a handy chunk of change to have for your next purchase.
    I can recommend Iconic and have read many good Chronext reviews, so would look at them if I were you.
    Good luck with your decision.

Master
    Just ask for a discount. If they say no you are no further back.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    The 42mm Explorer II hasn't been particularly popular and are readily available from most ADs.

It may therefore possibly be one of the few SS Rolex where a discount is possible.
    Yes, definitely worth a conversation with an AD.
    It'll do no harm to ask.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Yes, definitely worth a conversation with an AD.
    It'll do no harm to ask.
    Great minds... my local AD always seems to have one of each colour in the window display.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post

Just to add, I bought mine from an AD in 2013, after the initial grab for the new model had passed, and secured a 10 per cent discount.

Craftsman
    All ads I've been in and talked to lately have had them in the window so I'd try for a discount and be willing to walk away if discount was not given

Quote Originally Posted by Robsmck View Post
    Just ask for a discount. If they say no you are no further back.

Exactly, nothing ventured nothing gained....

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Going to go against the grain here and say £500 in your pocket is better than £500 in a dealers pocket. Unless someone is going to tell me there is something wrong with buying from Iconic or Chronext why not just take the saving?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Def try and get a discount on this one.

One of the few models that have always been stuck in ADs windows even since the pound plummeted and tourists snapped up Rolex