closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What Broadband?

Journeyman

What Broadband?

Currently paying £55.99 for BT Infinity 2 and Line Rental

We don't even use the phone, takes the mick that you have to have them these days.

Looking to get a new deal from someone, who also offers unlimited downloads, with no traffic management.

Plusnet, TalkTalk and Zen all offer cheaper packages. Any recommendations as to who is best to go with, or how to get a decent deal from BT?

Craftsman
    I've had max fibre (80mbs) broadband with Plusnet for the last couple of months and it's been really good.

Pay line rental upfront to keep DD down to £15pm. TopCashback on top of that too.

Plusnet is good

I had major issues with BT to the point where they couldn't have given it to me for free.

Luckily they rectified this issues at the end of my contract.

I am now paying £27 a month for Infinity 1 which is up to 52MB but I am getting over 70MB :D

Its not a bad deal with the Openzone hot spots, I wouldn't go with anyone other than Plusnet from the list you have given to be honest.

Have you checked if Hyperoptic is available in your area??

So often it depends on where you are and how lucky you are. I've been with Talktalk since they took over AOL many years ago and hardly had any bother. Now I'm on their VDSL fibre deal.
    Their weakness is their customer support though when I phoned them to cancel my late father's account with them after he passed they were very good. They have a dedicated department for that sort of thing. The free router works well but it's only 100Mbps. I already had a good quality Asus Nighthawk which should have coped but wouldn't.

Master
    Call up BT tell them you're leaving, it's amazing the deals they can come up with, BT Infinity, 24 months, unlimited, w/e calls, line rental, etc. £25.99 per month.

Quote Originally Posted by cbh View Post
    Call up BT tell them you're leaving, it's amazing the deals they can come up with, BT Infinity, 24 months, unlimited, w/e calls, line rental, etc. £25.99 per month.
    Exactly and for £1 extra a month you can stick with a 12 month contract because this year should be interesting for UK Broadband speeds (hopefully)!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsammyp View Post
    I've had max fibre (80mbs) broadband with Plusnet for the last couple of months and it's been really good.

Pay line rental upfront to keep DD down to £15pm. TopCashback on top of that too.
    Line rental up front, thought it was included in the price?
    Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster View Post
    Plusnet is good

I had major issues with BT to the point where they couldn't have given it to me for free.

Luckily they rectified this issues at the end of my contract.

I am now paying £27 a month for Infinity 1 which is up to 52MB but I am getting over 70MB :D

Its not a bad deal with the Openzone hot spots, I wouldn't go with anyone other than Plusnet from the list you have given to be honest.

Have you checked if Hyperoptic is available in your area??
    No, not available sadly, looks good though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    So often it depends on where you are and how lucky you are. I've been with Talktalk since they took over AOL many years ago and hardly had any bother. Now I'm on their VDSL fibre deal.
    Their weakness is their customer support though when I phoned them to cancel my late father's account with them after he passed they were very good. They have a dedicated department for that sort of thing. The free router works well but it's only 100Mbps. I already had a good quality Asus Nighthawk which should have coped but wouldn't.
    Any traffic management?
    Tried that, had a really poor offer. Wouldn't price match competitors, basically said they're not as good...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GMTMaster View Post
    Exactly and for £1 extra a month you can stick with a 12 month contract because this year should be interesting for UK Broadband speeds (hopefully)!
    Ooh, what've you heard?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Been with Talk Talk for years with hardly any problems.

Recently moved to BT infinity 1 as the deal was too good to pass up.

£28.99pm, 12m contract, £120 topcashback and a £200 pre paid MasterCard from BT. Works out around £2 a month for fibre broadband.

Plusnet should be ok as I'm sure BT own them.

Journeyman
    I appreciate that a few companies use BT lines, or re-sell, but I just want to be sure that there's no traffic management.

Great to hear others experiences too.

Do you have access to Virgin cable? I have been very pleased with it over the years I've had it installed. I currently have 200Mbps down/12Mbps up and get that speed most of the time. Between July and November 2016 my family downloaded 1986GB of data with only one outage for ~1 hour. I also have BT Infinity in my home office. The upload speed is faster but the download speed is definitely slower.

No traffic management with Talktalk. My average monthly downloads, with online gaming and such, is about 146GB.

Master
    Paying £25 a month for Vodafone with line rental included in the price. That's for 40mb. I don't need their 80mb but it was only £5 more iirc

Vodafone

You just pay for the cable

Master
    Did that work for you? My BT deal is up at the end of the month. Did an "online chat" thing with them and they weren't remotely interested. Cheers

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Did that work for you? My BT deal is up at the end of the month. Did an "online chat" thing with them and they weren't remotely interested. Cheers
    Yes it did, said I was off to EE (another BT owned company) told them I'd already signed up and that I'd only phoned to cancel (not strictly true), the guy couldn't have been nicer and made me the offer.

Master
    Yes it did, said I was off to EE (another BT owned company) told them I'd already signed up and that I'd only phoned to cancel (not strictly true), the guy couldn't have been nicer and made me the offer.
    Well done! I shall see if I can get something out of them!

(How did you get out of the having signed up with EE point?)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Well done! I shall see if I can get something out of them!

(How did you get out of the having signed up with EE point?)

Anything you sign up to online there's a 14 day cooling off period.

Craftsman
    Plusnet for the business , good
    At home we had aol / talk talk and utter Shyte , now on sky and that's ok ish

Quote Originally Posted by Manchester View Post
    I appreciate that a few companies use BT lines, or re-sell, but I just want to be sure that there's no traffic management.
    Plusnet were one of the first ISPs to pioneer the use of traffic management. Indeed it was thought at the time that was one of the main reasons BT bought them, to acquire their expertise and experience.

Judging by this article they are still actively using it.

Been with Zen internet 10 years. They don't do traffic management and if you do need help customer service is brilliant.

https://www.zen.co.uk/about-us/latest-awards.aspx

Master
    Anything you sign up to online there's a 14 day cooling off period.
    Ah, good one. I shall certainly try that, thanks.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mijyou View Post
    Been with Zen internet 10 years. They don't do traffic management and if you do need help customer service is brilliant.
    Absolutely agree on customer service - excellent - but my service was only about 5 (Mbps, or whatever the measure is) and was £25 pm or so. I'd come from O2 who were great (and cheap as chips) but then they sold out to Sky.

What Broadband?

Great to hear others experiences too.
    Plusnet do for sure. It depends on what you're downloading with plusnet. Traffic management improves the consistency of the service.
    I find Plusnet consistently great for all things. I've found other providers very up and down on speeds. But if you download torrent type stuff, then plusnet are quite open about throttling it, as the majority is copyright infringement.

I also like plusnet as customer loyalty matters, none of this new customer best price rubbish. You can have a special offer price, and they will try to match other companies as well. If anything changes with their service/price, they allow you the option to exit your contract without penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by mikiejack View Post
    Plusnet do for sure. It depends on what you're downloading with plusnet. Traffic management improves the consistency of the service.
    I find Plusnet consistently great for all things. I've found other providers very up and down on speeds. But if you download torrent type stuff, then plusnet are quite open about throttling it, as the majority is copyright infringement.

I also like plusnet as customer loyalty matters, none of this new customer best price rubbish. You can have a special offer price, and they will try to match other companies as well. If anything changes with their service/price, they allow you the option to exit your contract without penalty.
    Some of it is copyright infringement. Many game developers such as Wargaming deliver huge updates over torrent because it means you can pause it mid-download and carry on the next day, or when it's more suitable. Torrents have manifold uses not connected with crime.

Craftsman
    Line rental up front, thought it was included in the price
    You can separate it out and pay line rental upfront for the year, small discount for paying upfront but just keeps the monthly DD down.

Master
    You must be more persuasive than me! They made out they were doing me a massive favour at £18pm (Infinity only) vs "usual" price £28.50. That's excluding line rental and calls! What was your secret??