closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Diver diversity

Diver diversity

I'm fairly settled with my collection now, and whilst I won't bore everyone with a SOTC thread I did play around on Photoshop today in order to create a little Rolex diver collage...

The Hulk is from 2017. It's the second one I've owned (the first was sold for very personal reasons, but as a watch I didn't want to let it go), and was finally acquired after having a WTB running for a good couple of years. I understand that it's a little bit marmite but - as has been stated many times before - the dial is quite magnificent, changing colour from bright green to near-black depending on the lighting. I could quite happily have it as an only watch.

This particular Sea-Dweller is from 2008, although I do have another tritium dialled beauty from 1997 (in fact, Bea has been wearing this, and she LOVES it). All things considered, I think that the classic 16600 Dweller is the one that pleases me the most, although there's very little in it between this and the SD40. Bea made me laugh the other day, because she said when she wears it she feels like she can conquer the world... I kind of know what she means, though.

Finally, the 5513 is from 1981, and I've owned it now for about 4 years. I don't see this ever being sold, and I have very little doubt that it will be the last watch I own, although I can't be buried in it as Bea wants it when I'm gone!! To my mind, it's... well, perfect.

Anyway, I did want to make a point, actually - namely, that even within a single brand and a single style, there can still be enough diversification to provide real choice in terms of what to wear. These three divers make up 25% of my collection and I don't intend buying any more, save for the mil-spec Fifty Fathoms (with good luck and a tail wind).
    Last edited by learningtofly; 26th June 2017 at 05:49.

That Blancpain Mil spec would add some lovely contrast to the Rolex divers. Great addition

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    That Blancpain Mil spec would add some lovely contrast to the Rolex divers. Great addition
    That's certainly what I'm hoping!

This is an interesting perspective Tony and I agree completely. For me the SD is the only watch one would ever need and I always prefer a watch to have a date however, that 5513 is sublime.

My wife asked me recently which Rolex will I buy when the time comes and was surprised when I showed her a 5513 rather than a brand new watch but for me the two simply don't compare.

Wow, that trio is lovely. Love the 5513.
    Addition of the BP MilSpec will take it over the top.
    Lovely pic. I am sure you took more. Do share them.

Master
    I'm envious of your 5513 every time I see it Tony. It's a smasher.

Ryan

Absolutely loving the Hulk and I keep coming back to it as an only luxury watch option, I just worry that the green won't be versatile enough. Interesting you say it could be your only watch!

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    This is an interesting perspective Tony and I agree completely. For me the SD is the only watch one would ever need and I always prefer a watch to have a date however, that 5513 is sublime.

My wife asked me recently which Rolex will I buy when the time comes and was surprised when I showed her a 5513 rather than a brand new watch but for me the two simply don't compare.
    You just can't go wrong with a 5513. That said, a 14060 - especially with a tritium dial - is a decent and more affordable alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Wow, that trio is lovely. Love the 5513.
    Addition of the BP MilSpec will take it over the top.
    Lovely pic. I am sure you took more. Do share them.
    Thanks mate. I do have more but don't like to repeat myself too much :)

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I'm envious of your 5513 every time I see it Tony. It's a smasher.

Ryan
    Its is a cracker, Ryan.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Absolutely loving the Hulk and I keep coming back to it as an only luxury watch option, I just worry that the green won't be versatile enough. Interesting you say it could be your only watch!
    I honestly don't find the green worrying at all. It also seems to look okay with any style and colour of clothing, making at really versatile.

Master
    Lovely trio Tony and as much as I love a 5513 I think the SD just steals the show, it just feels so right. Recently passed my beautiful 16600 onto my son and I still miss it although I never wore it, that daily privelege is down to your old 16660, an absolute stunner!

Lovely shots! The 5513 is my favourite and just such a classic on bracelet or nato.

Quote Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
    Lovely trio Tony and as much as I love a 5513 I think the SD just steals the show, it just feels so right. Recently passed my beautiful 16600 onto my son and I still miss it although I never wore it, that daily privelege is down to your old 16660, an absolute stunner!
    i miss that watch, Bob. I suspect both I and its previous owner would take it back in a heartbeat.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Lovely shots! The 5513 is my favourite and just such a classic on bracelet or nato.
    Thank you, and agreed.

Love that picture Tony!
    The 5513 is simply lovely.

I could also see my hulk as my only watch.

Journeyman
    Diversity is good! Nice pics.

Craftsman
    5513 what a beauty. I'm turn between this and the hulk as to which is my favourite.

^^^ Thanks guy's. Re my favourite, it's hard not to say the 5513. That said I've been wearing the SD quite a lot lately, and it might have overtaken the Hulk in terms of keeper status.

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    That was quite prophetic, actually, as I'm typing this with the Mil-Spec on my wrist. It's gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    That was quite prophetic, actually, as I'm typing this with the Mil-Spec on my wrist. It's gorgeous.
    Awesome! Looking forward to the photos.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Awesome! Looking forward to the photos.
    I did post one here, Jase. My house is a building site for the next couple of months, so any more will have to wait, sadly.

Ah, thanks, looks amazing.
    Cheers..
    Jase