closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Help me. Explorer II Or IWC Pilot

Help me. Explorer II Or IWC Pilot

I have just got a tuxedo dial datejust and have money for a second watch. My head says for resale and sense the exp II but I saw the IWC in the store and really liked it and it seems like a lot of watch for the money. Also I worry about residuals and lack of bracelet with the iwc.

Any help would be appreciated

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    Rolex no brainer.

Master
    ^^ The man speaks sense.

Craftsman
    The IWC gets my vote. I don't have a chronograph in my (very small) collection at the moment and I'm SERIOUSLY tempted by Le Petit Prince. That blue dial! Looks absolutely stunning.

You can get it on a bracelet as well (ref. IW3777-17) if you prefer rather than the leather.

The residuals on the Rolex will be better I expect but it depends on how important this is to you and how much you pay in the first place. For me the residuals wouldn't matter as it would be a keeper.

Get them both on your wrist and see which one feels best. I expect you will find out pretty quickly which one is for you. I haven't tried the IWC on myself yet either and until I do I won't know for sure if it's 'The One'.

Craftsman
    For more diversity, the IWC seems like a better choice.

Value-protection wise, a Rolex Exp2 should be a better bet. I would recommend a later series full set one carrying the 3186 movement.

There is a bracelet option, however there is a huge premium for it.

Edit: Oups, MrMater was faster.

I have the older IWC Fleiguruhr Chronograph 3706 which in smaller and sits better on my wrist. The pilot is too big for me. Have you tried a white explorer 2? I think it's more flexible than the black.

Sent from TZ-UK app on an iPhone

Considering that it's just another generic 7750 in a big, mostly-empty case, I don't think that the IWC is a lot of watch for the money. You'd likely regret getting it instead of the Explorer.

If you're set on a pilot's watch from IWC, their pre-Richemont models are far more collectible than the recent fashion watches.

My IWC and Exp2 side by side

I'm biased as the black dial 16570 is my favourite watch by some margin, despite having a Sub and a Speedy. What I really appreciate about it is its subtlety with the steel bezel, and its great comfort as it sits flat on the wrist, unlike the Sub. Its solid residuals are nice too!

When I was looking at Chronographs, a search that ended with the Speedy, I looked at the IWC and found it very underwhelming in the flesh. I also though that if an aviation themed chrono is your thing, Bremont's alternatives have much better casework, and are generally more interesting.

Dave

Craftsman
    The IWC is more interesting, and not as common, and you like it; so for me the only advantage of the Rolex for you, is resale (if you don't plan on keeping your chosen watch). I also prefer the look of the IWC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are many decent alternatives to the iwc that don't cost nearly as much.

The expii though is fairly unique and its a classic
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Journeyman
    Explorer for me mines been my daily wear for a while. Very comfortable, size is just right for my wrist and not as noticeable as some of the Rolex sports models

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Thanks for the feedback
    I think the explorer wins on sheer financial sense
    I am looking at a 2005 model with solid end links. I notice that good examples are starting to creep up a little.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by DACC View Post
    My IWC and Exp2 side by side

Is it me or does your first photo show the IWC to appear larger, and the second (upside down) photo has the explorer appear larger?

Tough choice, but they are two different watches. Do you prefer the GMT or the chronograph?

Last edited by Yunsung; 25th June 2017 at 13:18.

To be honest I wouldn't really use either function. But I have always liked the explorer
    But the iwc seems cheap in comparison to other iwc pilots and I loved the look of it.

Your choice but for me ExplorerII is
    Meh. The IWC is gorgeous. Don't really care if it is just a 7750.
    If resale is a consideration, may be otherwise. But I would get more pleasure wearing the IWC.

Master
    Blog Entries
    IWC for me

Craftsman
    Resale value aside, IWC would get my vote.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Olives View Post
    To be honest I wouldn't really use either function. But I have always liked the explorer
    But the iwc seems cheap in comparison to other iwc pilots and I loved the look of it.
    Fair enough, but another thing to consider is the photo you have shown of the IWC. If that is the same one you are going for, consider that it doesn't have the original straps - which we all know aren't cheap. I love NATOs as much as a lot of members on this forum, but that brown stripe colour doesn't suit!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by erics View Post
    Rolex no brainer.
    This.

Master
    I am biased as I own a polar 216570 but I find it very comfortable and really suits a NATO if that is your thing. I might even get a black faced one before they are superseded by a ceramic bezel model next year...........

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

The IWC really looks *fantastic* in the flesh, such a legible dial. To be honest, both are decent choices, both in one collection?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    There are many decent alternatives to the iwc that don't cost nearly as much.

The expii though is fairly unique and its a classic
    Many alternatives? With a blue dial and same quality and legibility as the IWC? What do you suggest?

I do like the look of the Superocean Heritage Chrono's but 46mm may be too much.

Master
    I am a big IWC fan but mostly prefer their older watches.

The Pilot Chrono is though my favourite of their current offerings.

I did wear my brothers Exp2 Polar for a while yesterday and have to say that it looks much better in real life than most photos convey.

On balance I would go for the IWC but I would also be delighted with the Exp2. Hard to go wrong with either watch, IMVHO.

However, if I was going to buy the IWC I would be very tempted to buy used.

Master
    I'm an IWC fan too, have a Mark XVI but that particular model Chrono is far too big. Have you tried it on, coz it'll seem massive compared to your DJ. IMO the only IWC Chrono worthy of a look is the magnificent 3706 or, at a push, the 3717. And if it was ExpII for me, black dial, definitely.

Craftsman
    Head says Rolex
    Heart says iwc

- - - Updated - - -

Do think the iwc looks better

Quote Originally Posted by Yunsung View Post
    Is it me or does your first photo show the IWC to appear larger, and the second (upside down) photo has the explorer appear larger?

Tough choice, but they are two different watches. Do you prefer the GMT or the chronograph?

This is how it looks to me: in the second photo the watch head of the Rolex is nearer to the lens as it is resting on the bracelet, the IWC however is sitting flat on the table top.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Explorer II for me, in my opinion, esthetically speaking it looks better than the IWC

Sent from my Redmi 3S using Tapatalk

How about an Omega ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

iwc wins hands down, it's jut an elegant looking watch

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Blog Entries
    Wifey lives in a Polar ExpII and putting it beside my small 36mm 3741 I would pick the IWC.

Pitch

Rolex

Ok
    A total about turn
    I spotted the omega Ploprof on sales corner Yesterday and went for it. I had one a few years ago and regretted selling it. I also think it ticks all boxes and won't lose any money hopefully!

Apprentice
    Rolex for me all day

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Olives View Post
    Ok
    A total about turn
    I spotted the omega Ploprof on sales corner Yesterday and went for it. I had one a few years ago and regretted selling it. I also think it ticks all boxes and won't lose any money hopefully!
    Can't beat an impulse diversion.... ;-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Considering that it's just another generic 7750 in a big, mostly-empty case, I don't think that the IWC is a lot of watch for the money. You'd likely regret getting it instead of the Explorer.

If you're set on a pilot's watch from IWC, their pre-Richemont models are far more collectible than the recent fashion watches.

This is a "lot of watch for the money" and fraction of the cost of the IWC.