closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Poor mans BLNR

Quote Originally Posted by jameswrx View Post
    Steinhart could release a used condom on a leather strap and people would still be up in arms saying they'd blatantly copied Rolex.
    No no, that'd be Durex not Rolex..... sounds similar at the end and same number of letters...

Craftsman
    I like the original titanium 500, but not this. It's missing the nice extra touches that set the previous o500 apart. Shame as a few purple highlights could have set it off nicely and made it less of a "homage".

Interesting to see that some people think everyone is buying and wearing a certain watch to be seen he is wearing a certain (or similar more expensive) watch. I'm sure it's their way of thinking and have no creativity or imagination to accept that some others simply appreciate a certain design and would love to see it on their wrist giving sh*t about what others think. I quite understand the stand point of the latter, however I don't really wear homages exactly because of that someone thinks I'm wearing an expensive watch which I'm not is not a desired effect.
    Also I find advices like "save up for the dream watch" useless in most cases. Some people have the opportunity to save until they get their grail simply having no patient to do it, but many others are completely ruled out lately by the mental prices. You can not think seriously someone will save 10-20 years to have their grail watch. Nonsense.
    I have some decent watches (Omega, Breitling etc.) but owning no Rolexes at all.
    The reason? I find the vintage ones far more beautiful and better balanced than modern ones and I could imagine to have a 1680. I could have bought one about 10 years ago if it was my absolute grail. Just didn't happened and apparently it will never happen with always raising prices. I can't justify spending that amount on a watch. But will not buy a homage either...

Sent from my SM-T230 using TZ-UK mobile app

Apprentice
    I have been looking at the Steinhart a lot, but I really do want a BLNR or Explorer II at some time but want a GMT watch now. I am not a "flipper" so I'm considering something quite different, one of the Farer GMT watches: https://farer.com/collections/gmt-automatics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Who is thinking someone's wearing an expensive watch when it's not though?

90% won't notice

9% May notice you've got a watch but not know what it is or ask if it's Michael Kwoooars

1% May notice you've got a watch and want to know what it is. If I saw someone wearing a Steinhart and was in a position to chat I'd be quite pleased that they were clearly into watches enough to know what one is! And I'd hope anyone on here in reality would do the same to be honest!

Are some of you really going to see me on the street wearing my ocean one vintage and think, "look at that prat, can't even afford a £50k vintage Rolex!"

The Farer is really nice. I hovered over making the choice between it and the Steinhart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craftsman
    Glasgow, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries
    Nice to see them making correct sized watches. I made the mistake of buying an ovm, never wear it due to size of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
    Nice to see them making correct sized watches. I made the mistake of buying an ovm, never wear it due to size of it.
    ....,it's the same size. It's the ocean case and it's 42mm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post

The OVM and it's kind e.g. the Legacy have different cases. Same 42mm but with a steroid injection for the Legacy. The Ocean One maxi seems lightweight compared to the Legacy but they're both 42mm cases.

Quote Originally Posted by robbie View Post
    The OVM and it's kind e.g. the Legacy have different cases. Same 42mm but with a steroid injection for the Legacy. The Ocean One maxi seems lightweight compared to the Legacy but they're both 42mm cases.

Yes I know, but thought he was referring to the BLNR lookalike. It's the bog standard Ocean case sans steroids

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    That old chest nut!
    Check your history.
    No need, just responding to your comment with an equally silly point.

Anyone that thinks this is a blatant copy of the BLNR is so misguided that they're probably Trump supporters. Clear enough for you?

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post

Anyone that thinks this is a blatant copy of the BLNR is so misguided that they're probably Trump supporters. Clear enough for you?
    I don't think we really need to bring it down to that level .

Craftsman
    Glasgow, The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Blog Entries

Oops, I thought I read they were going to make normal sized watches. 39mm

Quote Originally Posted by GuyIncognito View Post
    Oops, I thought I read they were going to make normal sized watches. 39mm
    Word is they will introduce a 39mm ocean case at end of summer not sure what models or across the whole range, but certainly would address the flat lugs issue and appeal to a whole new audience

Can you buy the Squales mentioned on the thread (like that tropical) be purchased in the UK or only from Gnomon ?

Grand Master
    I find it about as appealing as the genuine BLNR.........not very!

Can't understand what all the fuss is about, a watch with a blue and black bezel holds zero appeal for me regardless of who produces it.

Having had a couple of Steinhart watches in pieces I'm impressed with the quality, well worth buying and excellent value for money.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post

No need to have a melt down:-)
    To me it looks like a copy ( blatant is your insertion ).
    You are free to have your own interpretation.
    I have nothing against Steinhart copying and people buying and wearing them. I have several.
    It is just that I choose not to fool myself or get defensive about it.
    If I was looking to buy something like this I would go for the Davosa which is more of a blatant copy and wear it without worrying about what others think. It just seems so much nicer.

Yes I know, but thought he was referring to the BLNR lookalike. It's the bog standard Ocean case sans steroids

You're right. And my references were wrong too. It's the OOV (& the Legacy) that's had the steroid enhancement not the OVM.

Yup, you're only fooling yourself if you think these aren't in any way a copy.

I have nothing against Steinhart copying and people buying and wearing them. I have several.
    If I was looking to buy something like this I would go for the Davosa which is more of a blatant copy and wear it without worrying about what others think. It just seems so much nicer.
    You have summed it up perfectly, well said

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Master
    It has different hands, the date is in a different position, and it has no cyclops.
    How do you perceive that to be a copy of a BLNR other than the colour or the Bezel?

Master
    Big steinhart fan, and a huge admirer of the BLNR but this doesn't work for me for some reason. The titanium doesn't help either.

I don't know. It's not a hit for me, if you'd told me there was a steinhart BLNR coming out a few weeks ago I'd be checking my bank balance and putting my name down..but nah.

Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    I like the original titanium 500, but not this. It's missing the nice extra touches that set the previous o500 apart. Shame as a few purple highlights could have set it off nicely and made it less of a "homage".
    exactly

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Big steinhart fan, and a huge admirer of the BLNR but this doesn't work for me for some reason. The titanium doesn't help either.

I don't know. It's not a hit for me, if you'd told me there was a steinhart BLNR coming out a few weeks ago I'd be checking my bank balance and putting my name down..but nah.
    Well done Steinhart. Your own take on the BLNR not a straight copy. Agreed the titanium may not be to everyone's taste but that's just part of the image which you buy or you don't.

The titanium puts me off, personally I like the weight of stainless steel.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

IMO, the use of Titanium makes it an entirely different watch. Certainly not a copy in my eyes

Well for me the OP the decision was taken out of my hands. I bought another watch and now got no cash so that makes it a easy choice !

Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Can you buy the Squales mentioned on the thread (like that tropical) be purchased in the UK or only from Gnomon ?
    Afaik from gnomon only.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by drury View Post
    IMO, the use of Titanium makes it an entirely different watch. Certainly not a copy in my eyes
    I totally disagree. If the design is the same, using a different material is still a copy of the design.

Quote Originally Posted by ywl23n View Post
    I totally disagree. If the design is the same, using a different material is still a copy of the design.
    Different material, different size, different hands, different date position.

There are many similarities but there are also plenty of differences which make it not a copy.

IMHO, a copy may possibly be mistaken for the real thing. This watch will never be mistaken for a Rolex BLNR.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Different material, different size, different hands, different date position.

There are many similarities but there are also plenty of differences which make it not a copy.

IMHO, a copy may possibly be mistaken for the real thing. This watch will never be mistaken for a Rolex BLNR.
    Given the BLNR made that colour combination bezel famous, your comment is ridiculous. This was meant to imitate the BLNR and everyone knows that. Buy it, enjoy it but stop deluding yourself about what this really is!

Poor mans BLNR

I really don't understand some people in here. It's obvious to anyone but the hard of thinking that this tips it's hat to the BLNR as it's inspiration, but let's look at the similarities...... the bezel is black and blue.... the gmt hand is the same. But er - that's it.

Titanium
    500m wr
    No PCL
    Date at 6
    No cyclops
    Numbered chapter ring
    Lumed bezel
    Unidirectional bezel
    Sword hands
    42mm
    Sapphire crystal with AR
    Display back

Cmon guys please be honest instead of just sniping cheap shots. This is what a homage should be - not a copy not a replica but at first glance obviously inspired by the BLNR. Maybe more homages should do this? The ocean one black sub from steinhart IS a shameless copy but this isn't and I think we all know that. Given steinharts ability to very closely copy a design, if they had released THIS with a blue gmt hand and blue:black bezel then the tomatoes would be warranted and Steinhart would saved themselves a lot of money and effort . They didn't and they produced a proper homage. I'm sure they will continue to produce full blown copies as well, but this release hopefully signifies a shift in their strategy

It's obvious to anyone but the hard of thinking....

Cmon guys please be honest instead of just sniping cheap shots
    Congratulations on escaping the vicious circle of cheap shots

Looking on the bright side, TZ has filled it's daily 'Times someone says BLNR' quota by 10:00am!

If BLNRs are so good, how come there is a steady stream of them being flipped on SC.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Congratulations on escaping the vicious circle of cheap shots
    Sorry. Didn't realise the monopoly on it was reserved for the Rolex Home Guard

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post
    Given the BLNR made that colour combination bezel famous, your comment is ridiculous. This was meant to imitate the BLNR and everyone knows that. Buy it, enjoy it but stop deluding yourself about what this really is!

So any watch with a blue/black bezel is automatically imitating the BLNR? That seems like quite a narrow view.

Steinhart make some awful rip offs. The newman daytona style thing, for instance. Awful.

But only a layman would confuse this for a rolex. But I'm not sure they'd know what a blnr is!

The Rolex Home Guard

Craftsman
    Steinhart make top quality watches as far as I'm concerned and given that the watch in question is a different size to the BLNR, it's titanium, no PCL and the hands/dial are fairly different - its not a copy.

As a BLNR owner, I have no problem with this watch's existence.

I only wish that Steinhart would invest it's time and money in being a little more creative though.

Go back to making stuff like this:

Quote Originally Posted by mjgerrard View Post
    Steinhart make top quality watches as far as I'm concerned and given that the watch in question is a different size to the BLNR, it's titanium, no PCL and the hands/dial are fairly different - its not a copy.

I only wish that Steinhart would invest it's time and money in being a little more creative though.

They actually make a lot of unique pieces but sadly they seem to do this as Ltd edition forum exclusives . There's been several WUS, Russian Czech polish and German forum editions that are very inventive. Just wish they would mainstream them

I would pay them not to make more stuff like that

Alright for an eight year old I guess
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

They actually make a lot of unique pieces but sadly they seem to do this as Ltd edition forum exclusives . There's been several WUS, Russian Czech polish and German forum editions that are very inventive. Just wish they would mainstream them
    Even these can be mistaken for other things. I had an Aviation Vintage, same case shape as that one but DLC, and while watch shopping in London was asked by the salesman if it was a Bell & Ross!

To be fair though, my eyes are so bad that I wouldn't be able to tell from a distance if someone was wearing a Rolex or a Mickey Mouse watch, so I guess I can't criticise!

Poor mans BLNR

Quote Originally Posted by ataripower View Post

Firstly, I have no interest in buying either this or the BLNR.

Yes Rolex made that colour combination famous and it definitely has Rolex influences but even a blind man can see it's not a Rolex.

I therefore stand by my apparently ridiculous statement that it's not a copy. Unless your definition of a copy is any watch with a blue and black bezel insert!
    Last edited by Dave+63; 27th June 2017 at 11:56.

Rolex Home Guard
    I'm not quibbling with anyone's using their love of any watch as an excuse for a good squabble, I was merely congratulating you on acting so decisively upon your desire to raise the level of the debate.

It would be nice if everyone else would listen to your plea and would resist using playground insults in every post, but I fear that you will find that kind of refined discourse rarely flourishing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    I'm not quibbling with anyone's using their love of any watch as an excuse for a good squabble, I was merely congratulating you on acting so decisively upon your desire to raise the level of the debate.

It would be nice if everyone else would listen to your plea and would resist using playground insults in every post, but I fear that you will find that kind of refined discourse rarely flourishing here.
    The fact I got drawn down to base mentality with my own cheap quip suggests we're all doomed, to continue the Dad's Army analogy

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I would pay them not to make more stuff like that

Alright for an eight year old I guess
    I'm not sure why - the gulf colours are a famous combination and means a lot to motorsport fans. There are a raft of other brands who do similar things. No more garish than an orange Seiko diver in all honesty - neither are meant to be JLCs...

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    It has different hands, the date is in a different position, and it has no cyclops.
    How do you perceive that to be a copy of a BLNR other than the colour or the Bezel?
    My interpretation of a copy is; it shares more similarities than differences, and wouldn't exist without the original.

The Steinhart GMT fits firmly into the right coulmn, all of the items below exist because of the item to their left.

The date window's a little large on that for me.
    F.T.F.A.

Interesting piece, presumably based on the ford gt?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've enjoyed this thread and changed my mind a couple of times.

I agree with Raj and others, wear what you want as long as it isn't a fake.

I think it is a copy, but only because Rolex have done such a great job of making the blue and black bezel, and the dial plots, so iconic. Not everyone will see it that way but I think that Steinhart know exactly what they are doing.