closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watchfinder - Expected amount

Craftsman

Watchfinder - Expected amount

I'm just trying to get a price from Watchfinder.

I've filled it in to the part that says ... Expected amount - Please enter the expected amount.

Are they just hoping you mess up and put in a low price and pay you that?

Do you put in a high price and they'll just pay you what they can get away with regardless?

Seems strange to me why they even get you to try to price the watch yourself , surely thats their job?

Maybe I'm missing something?

Just leave it blank, it's their job to value your watch not yours. That's what I do when I have sold to them, it doesn't affect what they offer.

You'll know the market price so you may as well put that in as you won't get that. I recently sold a watch (not to them) and asked for a quote. They valued the watch at about £500 less than market value which isn't so bad but then then would've resold it £500 more than market value to give them wiggle room and maybe make £1k profit for doing very little.

Too much hassle to package it up to send them only for them to perhaps make a new lower offer once they've 'checked' it.

Why not try to sell on here if you haven't already?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Strnglwhank View Post
    OP's post count will be a problem there.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Just leave it blank, it's their job to value your watch not yours. That's what I do when I have sold to them, it doesn't affect what they offer.
    Thanks. That what I thought logically should happen.

Craftsman
    You'll know the market price so you may as well put that in as you won't get that. I recently sold a watch (not to them) and asked for a quote. They valued the watch at about £500 less than market value which isn't so bad but then then would've resold it £500 more than market value to give them wiggle room and maybe make £1k profit for doing very little.

Too much hassle to package it up to send them only for them to perhaps make a new lower offer once they've 'checked' it.

Thanks. I've an option of buying another watch and just wanted a price for mine off watchfinder as I've read on here it's quick and easy with decent prices. It was just the "Expected amount" that threw me.
    I haven't been on here long enough yet to sell on SC.
    Last edited by Nigel306; 24th June 2017 at 09:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Gomers View Post
    OP's post count will be a problem there.
    Ahh yes forgot about that 😊

Craftsman
    you may want to check out the WTB section and see if there is anyone here looking for the same watch.

When I P/X'd my sub with them I left it blank and waited for their offer.. they came back straight away with a reasonable figure which I eventually went for. They don't budge from that first offer though!

Quote Originally Posted by goregasm View Post
    When I P/X'd my sub with them I left it blank and waited for their offer.. they came back straight away with a reasonable figure which I eventually went for. They don't budge from that first offer though!
    No but they offer a range and can be nudged up to the top of the range.

Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    No but they offer a range and can be nudged up to the top of the range.
    And that's exactly what I got.. no more than their top offer

Craftsman
    All good info thanks. I'll try again and leave it blank when I'm back on the PC.

Master

Abit unfair to say they do very little. It's their core business it provides liquidity and a market. They established themselves with investment in actual stores and employees. If you appply this logic everything in the world is just a rip off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    Sold a couple to them and as long as you're happy with the offer it's a fairly painless experience. The only issue I had was both times they tried it on with the lower offer once they had the watch. Held out and they eventually came back with the top offer :)
    Going to be asking for a price on my blnr which could be an interesting offer hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Abit unfair to say they do very little. It's their core business it provides liquidity and a market. They established themselves with investment in actual stores and employees. If you appply this logic everything in the world is just a rip off.
    I did shed a tear for a moment there but then I remembered their bracelet links tactics.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    I did shed a tear for a moment there but then I remembered their bracelet links tactics.
    Oh yeah that was definitely unacceptable. Poor form for sure.

It wasn't a criticism of what they, or any other business operating in the 'used' market, do it's just a fact of their business particularly when they well established. When I say they do very little I meant that in terms of reselling they don't have to actually do much to make a profit (not taking into account overheads & risk) which could be in the pocket of the seller if they managed to sell the watch themselves.

In any event Blowers are more likely to give a better price.

Oh yeah that was definitely unacceptable. Poor form for sure.

I missed this - have you got a link (no pun intended)?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Do they phone you up with offer or send email? (I'm outside UK but will be over later in the year)

Tempted to see what my Daytona 116520 and Omega SPECTRE would fetch (both 9/10)

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Rather annoyingly you have to enter something! I have entered zero a couple of times and they come back with an actual offer

Journeyman

Watchfinder - Expected amount

Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Do they phone you up with offer or send email? (I'm outside UK but will be over later in the year)

They send you a mail with the estimate normally a top and bottom figure depending on condition.

I bought a three week old Speedmaster off them and haggled the following out of them.

The secret is to google images of the watch and count the links and then check the images they post, which usually show how many links are included. I claimed that in the space of three weeks some links were missing and that I wanted them included. In the end I didn't need them, but better to have them than not.

Out of interest I was offered £5k to £5.5k cash and £7.7k part exchange on the same watch. A bit of a difference.

That Daytona would sell in a heartbeat on here.

Master
    Too high and they will not bother to give u a quote too low and they take advantage, best strategy is leave blank and then ask for more after first offer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    That Daytona would sell in a heartbeat on here.
    Yeah - no idea how much to ask though, they have appeared to moved up of late

Just banged through Daytona, Sub and SPECTRE Seamaster 300 to watchfinder and asked about a few Part Exchange options

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ac11111 View Post
    Too high and they will not bother to give u a quote too low and they take advantage, best strategy is leave blank and then ask for more after first offer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That's what I was thinking, good info about the pricing range on there too, I didn't know you could barter

Yeah - no idea how much to ask though, they have appeared to moved up of late

Just banged through Daytona, Sub and SPECTRE Seamaster 300 to watchfinder and asked about a few Part Exchange options
    I have seen a few being sold by trusted dealers at £9k, that seems to be the entry level. The London dealers obviously ask a lot more.

Master
    It wasn't a criticism of what they, or any other business operating in the 'used' market, do it's just a fact of their business particularly when they well established. When I say they do very little I meant that in terms of reselling they don't have to actually do much to make a profit (not taking into account overheads & risk) which could be in the pocket of the seller if they managed to sell the watch themselves.

In any event Blowers are more likely to give a better price.
    This is in no way a hit on Blowers who are excellent and I respect the guys there. But watchfinder has consistently given a higher buy in price vs blowers. However if i were to buy a watch i would buy from Blowers.

Craftsman
    I bought a three week old Speedmaster off them and haggled the following out of them.

The secret is to google images of the watch and count the links and then check the images they post, which usually show how many links are included. I claimed that in the space of three weeks some links were missing and that I wanted them included. In the end I didn't need them, but better to have them than not.

Out of interest I was offered £5k to £5.5k cash and £7.7k part exchange on the same watch. A bit of a difference.
    Was that a titanium 9300 speedy from Sept 2016 by any chance??

Was that a titanium 9300 speedy from Sept 2016 by any chance??
    No, the new Speedmaster Co-axial Moonphase with the footprint.

Craftsman
    Oh that's even nicer! I have a soft spot for coaxial speedies.

Oh that's even nicer! I have a soft spot for coaxial speedies.
    Thank you. I have waited since Basel 2016 to get my hands on one of these. I was going to go blue, but the SS Bracelet swung it for me. It does everything, anti magnetic, has a date function, has a Moonphase and most importantly for me is an automatic - bliss.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have seen a few being sold by trusted dealers at £9k, that seems to be the entry level. The London dealers obviously ask a lot more.
    Looks like you were bang on the money.

Had 3 quotes back and was actually surprised how reasonable they were:

Daytona 116250 £8,500 - 9000
    Sub 114060 £4,500 - 4,750
    Omega SPECTRE £4,500 - 4,750

Possibly expected the Sub to be a tad lower and the ltd edition SPECTRE a tad higher but overall total prob about what I would hope for.
    Last edited by kultschar; 26th June 2017 at 14:47.

I once enquired with another company that buys watches and while I didn't get an exact figure, the guy did say that they offer 50% of retail with a view to selling at 65-70%

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk