closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Volvo XC60 or Range Rover Evoque/Discovery Sport?

Master

Volvo XC60 or Range Rover Evoque/Discovery Sport?

In January, my cousin bought an Evoque 2.0 Diesel SE. Looks lovely but it's been a nightmare. Issue after issue after issue. We've complained to the point where the garage are going to give her 90% of her original cost back and she's happy to get out of it. So the issue now is what she replaces it with.

The other day, we went to EVERY car garage and looked at every alternative. The only other car she liked was the Volvo XC60. This is now the previous gen model as there's a new one around the corner, but with a budget of around £25/26k, that's the only option.

The other options she likes are just to replace her Evoque with another one that's hopefully more reliable, or she likes the idea of a Disco Sport as it has more space, but this would feature the 2.2 Diesel engine.

With the volvo I think she feels forced into moving to another car brand and don't think she would ever love the car. With the RR options, she really loves both cars but I expect there's a good chance her current issues aren't a one-off.

What would you do? Before you say look at another car, I assure you we did. She test drove everything from a Tiguan to a Kia. There's no doubt I saw the Evoque after seeing what else is out there for similar money, but obviously JLR reliability is the issue here.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sorry to hijack your thread but what did she think to the F pace. I'm in the same boat as you but probably 6 months behind. I liked the look of the f pace but the missus also likes the evoque.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Sorry to hijack your thread but what did she think to the F pace. I'm in the same boat as you but probably 6 months behind. I liked the look of the f pace but the missus also likes the evoque.
    Out of budget so we didn't look sorry.

I think in cases such as these the heart wants, what the heart wants. There is little point buying a different brand if you don't want the car.

As i posted in the other Evoque thread, we have an Evoque and a Disco Sport and no issues with either, so it is possible to buy very reliable JLR products.

Having said this, when i think about it i have never owned an unreliable car, no matter what the make or cost , but i have owned a few I didn't like or enjoy hugely.

Sadly the Land Rover product seems, generally, to be more problematical than most. We run a number of XC60s and I'm not aware of us having experienced any problems. Admittedly we only have them until they are a few months old.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard. View Post
    Sadly the Land Rover product seems, generally, to be more problematical than most. We run a number of XC60s and I'm not aware of us having experienced any problems. Admittedly we only have them until they are a few months old.
    Do you work for Volvo or are you a Volvo dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by number2 View Post
    Do you work for Volvo or are you a Volvo dealer?
    No. We own a large fleet of vehicles, including a number of XC60s.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard. View Post
    No. We own a large fleet of vehicles, including a number of XC60s.
    Ah ok,

I've never had a Range Rover and don't want one. We had two XC90s in the past and they were superb. We have an XC60 (for the last 2 years) and I have been very disappointed with it. It has had quite a few recalls and the interior has certainly not stood the test of family life with kids and two dogs very well at all. I will be quite glad to see the back of it early next year. I'm looking at the Lexus NX or RX as another option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Was it a new 2017 se or older?

Tell her to buy a Disco 4 - a proper car!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    Was it a new 2017 se or older?
    Late 2015 I think. Definitely has the newer engine and 4WD

Master
    Blog Entries
    Volvo Wayne.
    Every day of the week.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Volvo Wayne.
    Every day of the week.
    Should have asked you. Do you rate them overall or just out of these options?

X3

I have an evoque with no issues
    Just coming up to 70k on it

X3 is nice for the money

Q3 or q5

Buying or leasing ?

There are some good Volvo deals around on the model

Craftsman
    Looked at Mercedes GLC, quite nice, not massive boot space and expensive, have a Honda CRV at the moment. Was thinking about an F Pace, but reading the forums, there seems to be an issue with the drive shafts rumbling and some cars have been rejected, its only on the 3 litre at the moment, but if its a design issue, it will be on all F pace, but just hasn't manifested itself yet, apparently Jag are looking for a fix, but that is enough for me not to touch them at the moment.

You might want to try the new Mazda CX5, had a look, they get good reviews, but again for me, not enough boot space for the doggy :).

Watching this thread with interest as I too am in a similar place looking at either the old style XC 60, Q5, X3 or any other curve ball. Budget of 30k want it to be ideally a 2016 model for at least a year of warranty.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk280 View Post
    Tell her to buy a Disco 4 - a proper car!

I will second that

Master
    I wouldn't touch another Land Rover/ rangerover with a baseball bat, Nissan xtrail, Audi Q3/5 BMW X3 (if budget stretches the x6 would be my choice) no experience of the x60 sorry but a few friends have the xc90s and swear by them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Late 2015 I think. Definitely has the newer engine and 4WD
    Oh ok, difficult to know history sometimes and usage it's had. Had an 04 X-trail till 2016 and it was a storming car, fast enough on road and good enough (for me anyway) off road. Never any problems and never let us down.

Our Evoque (SE Tech 4wd 180ps) has been good so far, since March 2016 but only done 14k miles as retired at Christmas. Suits us as just the 2 of us and a mad spaniel!
    Ian

Master
    I had an XC60, lovely car and quite miss it in some ways. Had no issues with it 4 years/75k miles.

I've had an XC90 for 7 years since new and it's been faultless. Just taken delivery of an XC60, which are available currently in very very good lease and contract hire deals for the last of the old models. I basically looked online and got my local dealer to match, which they were happy to do. Very pleased with it so far, would highly recommend. They also recently finished in the top 10 for a most reliable cars survey, try that with any Land or Range Rover *and* folk won't think you're a WAG or footballer wannabe. What's not to like?

Wayne - my missus has XC90 for 10 years from new. Amazing car and saw us through the 3 lads growing up. The interior build quality was magnificent. When through tyres a lot but there is a very decent independent Volvo mechanic in north Manchester I can introduce you to....

He reckons the XC90 and XC60 are some of the best built/reliable cars around and he does loads of work on Mercs and Audis

We eventually changed the Volvo for Disco Sport HSE - one of the first delivered in Feb 2015. Also a great car, and the second row gives the most passenger space you can imagine. I believe same proportions as Full fat RR. It has had some niggles with the software and a few rattles. On its recent service they gave us a news Disco Sport which had the updated engine and it drove really well and had no rattles at all .....

Suspect for £25k you looking at early and lower spec Disco Sports .... and you might get more toys on an XC60 for the same money.

Master
    All sorted!! We went to see the Volvos and it just didn't seem in the same class of materials etc as the Evoque, although I'm sure it would be much more reliable. The brand new XC60 is like a whole different car in comparison, but so new that it was too expensive.

After speaking to her husband, she was able to increase her budget so we visited the brand I really wanted her to end up with. She's gone got a Mercedes GLC and it's a really lovely car with Premium Plus spec, not many miles at all and should suit her perfectly.

After recently purchasing a Mercedes, I'm very happy so hopefully she will be as well :-)

Great choice. There is no way I would have another XC60.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    Great choice. There is no way I would have another XC60.

It's just amazing what you DON'T get for £25000 these days.

Craftsman
    She might want to read up about the GLC crabbing issue that has many owners pulling their hair out. There are even websites dedicated to it.

Do a search on Google and YouTube for 'Mercedes GLC crabbing'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spy View Post
    She might want to read up about the GLC crabbing issue that has many owners pulling their hair out. There are even websites dedicated to it.

Do a search on Google and YouTube for 'Mercedes GLC crabbing'

Yeah this one seems fine. 18" wheels and a "sport" trim line.

I'm no car enthusiast but everyone I know who's owned a Range Rover or discovery has had untold issues with them. I bought an XC60 last year and didn't even bother test driving any LR product. I don't care how nice a car looks or drives, if it breaks down or falls apart I'm not interested!!

Craftsman
    I'll be in the market for an SUV towards the end of the year and the Disco Sport and XC 60 (new model) are my two choices at the moment. The F Pace is another option but as I'm getting a company car it'll be a little over my allowance so would need to contribute to it. Ideally I'd like to be able to fit 3 child seats in the back as my current 5 series doesn't. Looks like I may need to get the tape measure out.

Know nothing about the Volvo's never had one, but a few years ago when I was buying a new car, I really liked the Discovery 4, although aware of unreliability stories, I decided to go for one.
    Went for a test drive with the salesman in a brand new one, and he assured me, that the unreliability stories were rubbish, they were indestructible etc. blah blah, usual salesman stuff.
    He had barely finished speaking, when it broke down (less than two miles), some software issue, made it go into "limp mode" and it had to crawl back.
    I nearly felt sorry for the poor salesman, trying to explain, but that was enough for me, I legged it.
    Ended up going next door to the Vw garage, and bought a Touareg instead, replaced that last year with another, both had zero issues although they like brake pads often.

Question

How is the £25/£26k budget configured Wayne?

Master
    Mrs Rumpus has had an XC60 (D4 model) for the last 3 years and about 60K miles. It isn't a car I could get enthusiastic about (I find that all the 2.0 litre Diesel SUVs are so similar to drive...) but it hasn't been troublesome. The fuel consumption and performance are pretty decent, the handling is safe but not remotely sporting, it has plenty of space but I don't find the front seats very comfortable so it's a mixed bag.

Master
    Never quite sure what the best way to get a car financially is . . . . . .

You lease a 40k car for 3 years and spend say 18k on CH or PCP.
    You buy a 40k car and would it be worth 22k in 3 years? That's whether you could get 22k.

Or you buy a 3 year old for say 25k as opposed to leasing.
    what would that be worth say in 3 years time compared to paying again say 18k? I'm guessing 14k?

My view (again totally guesswork) is that leasing new probably works out better, however buying say 3 years old when a lot of the depreciation has gone is better financially. In the latter case though you have to consider MOT's, maintenance and tyres and the fact that you are driving a new car as opposed to an older car. Plus you have tied up X amount of money in a car.

I consider this every time I buy a car.

Nearly 2 years ago I leased my 68k BMW 640 (with just about every extra going) for 3k deposit and 500 pm so 21k over 3 years. Joke is that I could have bought a 6 month old one for 43k at the time so in reality anyone paying 68k would have lost a fortune, or to put into context 4 SS Rolexes (caveat - obviously you can't buy a SS in the U.K. ). Definitely better leasing than buying.

For my partner we considered leasing but bought 2 year old a Kuga for about 14k (extras like automatic) to sort of hedge our bets. Probably better buying than leasing but not 100% sure.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I took the Discovery 4 in for its second service this morning, and was sort of hoping they would give me a D5, no such luck they put me in a Discovery Sport, to be honest I cannot think of a good thing to say about it. The interior trim as a cheap look and feel about it, the leather on the seats is horrid and the ride is woeful. This is an HSE so near or top of the range circa £40k. I shall have great delight in telling the service manager that he had a really good chance to impress me and give me something better than what I have got, well he blew it, instead I will slag off the DS instead. I have had Mercedes and when ever they went in for service I always got either the next model up or a better engine, and it worked on two occasions as I purchased those very models when changing.

We've had our XC60 for 3 years. Absolutely faultless and perhaps my dog and young kids are well behaved but it's pretty much like new inside and out.