closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Strava Premium - worth it for you?

Strava Premium - worth it for you?

I run a bit and cycle a bit (road and MTB). Also, I like gadgets and data. I've been a Strava user for years but never bought the premium service. I've just signed up for a 30day free trial and have had a very quick look. I like the heat maps but I'm not going to pay £5.99 a month to see what I already know.

I'll make my own mind up and either cancel in 29days or keep it. However, I'm interested in what other people get out of it that justifies the cost to you.

I did the trial and like you decided it wasn't worth it. Likewise my wife!

Quote Originally Posted by PipPip View Post
    I did the trial and like you decided it wasn't worth it.
    Oh, I've not made my mind up yet. I'm sure there are other features beside the heat map that I've not looked at yet.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've got it mainly for the Live KOM's

I haven't tried it yet but was tempted by the access to age dependent segment data. As someone not in the first flush of youth, I don't feature too heavily at the top of many KOM tables, but notice that I'm often high up for my age group. With the free service, you only get to see your position, not how your time relates to others in the same age group. It's pure vanity of course, but that's the feature that interested me.

Master
    It's all free on Garmin Connect, which I use.

Strata is, I think, only really useful if you're very competitive with other local runners / riders.

I thought it was a lager.

I use 'normal' Strava at no cost. Does me fine, not bothered about the frills of Premium.

One thing I do enjoy is relive..

https://www.relive.cc/view/1018958209

Don't laugh at the stats, I was riding with an old knacker!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I had it for a few months when it was £3.99, not worth it then - even worse now. The free version is very good and enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    It's all free on Garmin Connect, which I use.

Strata is, I think, only really useful if you're very competitive with other local runners / riders.
    It's probably just me but, even when I had a Garmin watch, I didn't get on with Connect.

Craftsman
    I think there were some niggles with connect a couple of years ago. I remember I had issues with Strava and connect working together. It all seems fine now though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pay my subs gladly (I even pay the £20 a year for VeloViewer Pro+)

Big benefits:

Live segments (which I actually don't use... yet - when i change device i will)
    Filtered leaderboards (age or weight - turns out I'm pretty fast for my age)
    Suffer score (gimicky but surprisingly accurate)
    Power meter analysis (for when I can afford one)
    More advanced workout features
    Raceshape - allows visualisation against others on the same segment (really ace and shows you where you are losing time)
    Live feedback (lets people know where you are on a long ride)
    Premium support (they guarantee response times when you raise an issue - TBH it's worth it for this alone, I've used it a few times a year)

Personally I think that £45 a year is worth it and realistically is not a lot of money, especially when we think how much we spend on bikes, clothes, watches, etc.

Cheers,

mark C

Craftsman
    This a question I've been asking for years, finally I now know it's not worth the money over the free version.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Anybody use the Fitness and Freshness in Strava Premium ? I find it useful and motivates me when I haven't been out for a few days and can see my fitness dropping off.

I don't really use Strava much anymore, only really for group rides and when I've done something properly epic I want to boast about (come on, we all do it )

I do however record everything religiously on Training Peaks for which I pay an annual subscription (something like £70 a year). I'm not too interested in the KOM segments and suchlike and as I use a powermeter the metrics on TP are really powerful - once you get your head round the concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco81 View Post
    This a question I've been asking for years, finally I now know it's not worth the money over the free version.
    I've come to the same conclusion myself but thanks to everyone for their different views on this thread.
    Now to work out how to downgrade before I get hit for the first payment...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Meesterbond View Post
    I don't really use Strava much anymore, only really for group rides and when I've done something properly epic I want to boast about (come on, we all do it )

I do however record everything religiously on Training Peaks for which I pay an annual subscription (something like £70 a year). I'm not too interested in the KOM segments and suchlike and as I use a powermeter the metrics on TP are really powerful - once you get your head round the concepts.
    I also upload everything onto Training Peaks & that provides me with most of what Strava Premium also gives me. My coach also monitors my training using Training Peaks. Being a KOM junkie I subscribed to Strava Premium just so that I could use the live segments feature. I don't use any of the other features that you get on Strava because they are all there on Training Peaks

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Anybody use the Fitness and Freshness in Strava Premium ? I find it useful and motivates me when I haven't been out for a few days and can see my fitness dropping off.
    this is the main reason I keep Premium. I've also played with loading live segments onto my 5x. At some point they may kill me.

I bought it for the beacon. I ride on the pack horse trails between Burnley and Hebden bridge and it’s a bit dodgy.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Yes, for that reason, also if I am racing to make sure I get the balance between maintaining the fitness and losing the fatigue right in the week up to the event.

Which to some degree is common sense but I like seeing the evidence.