closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Final seven pieces, which two piece to go to complete the week.

Craftsman

Final seven pieces, which two piece to go to complete the week.

Hi guys,
    Been a while since I did a SOTC but I am not ready yet however i am in abit of a pinch and I need your opinion to create my final seven. I have the following watches the one that cannot go is my rolex 114060 which is a wedding gift. The final six as follows;
    1.Grand Seiko SBGM001
    2.Seiko SUS 4s15(black dial)
    3.Sinn UTS 857 (beater has a couple of nicks and a dent on a lug)
    4.Sinn EZM 2B GSG 9 (as above description)
    5.Sinn 150p Lemania 5100 Chronograph
    6.The elusive PRS11 rebuilt from NOS parts (mint)

Let me know what you guys think;
    I am biased to black dials and leaning towards sport watches with some water resistance as I am residing in a place with humid weather.

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated good or bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    You need a SeaMaster Pro 2254

Journeyman
    There's 7 days in a week and you have 7 watches?

Journeyman
    I guess you are asking us to suggest two to go. Any chance of pictures to help us along?

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I don't understand either. Maybe it's a language thing.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    Blog Entries

EMZI

Or IWC Ocean 2000

That's class to the collect, any collection!

M

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by thepoetboy View Post
    Hi guys,
    Been a while since I did a SOTC but I am not ready yet however i am in abit of a pinch and I need your opinion to create my final seven. I have the following watches the one that cannot go is my rolex 114060 which is a wedding gift. The final six as follows;
    1.Grand Seiko SBGM001
    2.Seiko SUS 4s15(black dial)
    3.Sinn UTS 857 (beater has a couple of nicks and a dent on a lug)
    4.Sinn EZM 2B GSG 9 (as above description)
    5.Sinn 150p Lemania 5100 Chronograph
    6.The elusive PRS11 rebuilt from NOS parts (mint)

Let me know what you guys think;
    I am biased to black dials and leaning towards sport watches with some water resistance as I am residing in a place with humid weather.

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated good or bad.

Apologies! I was writing under influence thus the writing is jumbled and gramatically incorrect. I bought and acquired 7 watches for 7 days in a week somehow i feel the collection could do better with abit of balance and variation but due to the rainy and humid nature of where I am, I am unable to purchace nice snap backs vintage of say a sub second omega?.. so what is my alternative if two watches had to be replaced, what would the replacement watches be?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulliner86 View Post
    There's 7 days in a week and you have 7 watches?
    That is correct sir, I have gone down from 12 to 7 a very painful but necessary process; some of the pieces i hardly wear at all.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    You need a SeaMaster Pro 2254
    None for sale in my way at the moment, so which piece will be replaced in lieu of the 2254 omega?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by steve7 View Post
    I guess you are asking us to suggest two to go. Any chance of pictures to help us along?

Yes steve, of course, what was i thinking?!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by milwatch126 View Post
    Or IWC Ocean 2000

That's class to the collect, any collection!

M
    So which time piece will be replaced by the IWC Ocean 2000?

I think it depends on what you want to achieve. It's already a very accomplished collection and if it was put together recently then you should simply enjoy it.

For my tastes your two weakest pieces are the CWC and the little Seiko but in a line up of seven then you are also a bit Sinn heavy. I'd potentially replace the Sinn diver with another nice one like an MM300 or an Omega. A 39mm Explorer 1 or a Railmaster for the little Seiko would add some versatility for dressier days yet still remain solid sports watch.

If you wanted to level up the Chronograph then a Speedy Pro or an IWC Pilot Chrono but that Sinn chrono is nice and it would be a questionable move really. Maybe an El Primero?

Have fun whatever happens next!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by fordy964 View Post
    I think it depends on what you want to achieve. It's already a very accomplished collection and if it was put together recently then you should simply enjoy it.

For my tastes your two weakest pieces are the CWC and the little Seiko but in a line up of seven then you are also a bit Sinn heavy. I'd potentially replace the Sinn diver with another nice one like an MM300 or an Omega. A 39mm Explorer 1 or a Railmaster for the little Seiko would add some versatility for dressier days yet still remain solid sports watch.

If you wanted to level up the Chronograph then a Speedy Pro or an IWC Pilot Chrono but that Sinn chrono is nice and it would be a questionable move really. Maybe an El Primero?

Have fun whatever happens next!
    Thank you for the constructive comment really puts things into perspective, it is so easy to get lost with what you like then you lose focus on the mission, agree its sinn heavy but i am biased to sinn for the 100% realibility for parts and servicing, agree the weakest is the sus but the prs11 was a mission quest that two collectors gave up before it was handed to me,so it reminds me alot of eddie's resilience to broadarrow name even though it is david goaliath case, the sinn 150p chrono appearantly there is some interesting trivia the low serial number this might helmut sinn test piece, definately will take into consideration on the explorer 1 or the rail master, i have no taken those into consideration, in the past i have always bought watches out of a whim, never with a mission hence this is my quest for the perfect 7 and it is too easy too stray away.

I also like Sinn for the reasons you mention and I also have 3. I also usually just buy on a whim and my collection is therefore all over the place! What it is though is a collection of stuff I simply like.

So what is the 'mission'? Sounds like you are striving for a collection purpose of some kind or a collection covering the bases but if you are by nature a bit eclectic, just buy what tickles your fancy this week and move on whatever you wear the least.

Craftsman
    the mission is to have 7 watches that any one watch can be used for any occassion from monday to sunday, without having to think of the next watch in the watch box because it is equal to rest of the seven watches on terms on versatility, attraction and style and resistance to the hot and humid weather you are right in highliting the SUS as a weak link though high in collectibility and japan trivia

Craftsman
    now that i have read what i wrote,it is more of a 'crisis' then a mission lol

Master
    It's a pretty much a cliche but if you've got s Sub you may as well get a Speedie. That way you've got the two icons in there. Also why not add some colour? If you've got a bundle why not a Rolex GMT or Autavia GMT Pepsi. Or if you've got my level of savings a Seiko SK007:)If you need to keep to a certain number I'd lose either one or both of the Seiko's and one of the Sinns.

It's a lovely collection but I think it could use splash of colour too, it's a very utilitarian looking collection, which isn't a bad thing necessarily but I think a bit of colour would add some nice variety. You are missing a pure dress watch too.
    I would think about adding something like a blue diver there are lots out there like the blue Seiko Turtle, Sumo, Omega SMP, Pelagos, etc etc just so you have something that looks great on a sunny day at the beach on holiday etc.
    The other option would be to maybe get a white faced dress watch, maybe a Vintage Seamaster or another Grand Seiko.
    As far as culling I would maybe ditch the Seiko Sus and a Sinn maybe the UZ or the UTC, always harder to cull watches than add them though

Just wanted to add I know you said you are biased to black dialed watches, but you may find that the Blue on the dive ones is very changeable and can often look black in the evening under softer lighting making them very versatile, If you have not already given them a go it's worth trying one out, I wasn't sold on them until I got a Seiko Padi, which I love. And most dress watches are WR to 50 meters making them fine for showering, and sitting in the pool to sipping a nice beverage.
    Last edited by Frakius; 24th June 2017 at 09:30.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    It's a pretty much a cliche but if you've got s Sub you may as well get a Speedie. That way you've got the two icons in there........s.
    But that is perhaps the reason to avoid these combinations......'icon' can indeed be another word for cliche. Does everyone need to have the same few watches? Probably not.
    Oddly enough I have seven watches and was pondering the 'watch for each day' approach. But I decided the best thing was to sell a few . None of it actually matters, there is no 'correct' approach, why not just do whatever seems most fun.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark lowman View Post
    It's a pretty much a cliche but if you've got s Sub you may as well get a Speedie. That way you've got the two icons in there. Also why not add some colour? If you've got a bundle why not a Rolex GMT or Autavia GMT Pepsi. Or if you've got my level of savings a Seiko SK007:)If you need to keep to a certain number I'd lose either one or both of the Seiko's and one of the Sinns.
    i actually started with skx007 a long time back and its been a long way of collecting seiko pieces then, the grand seiko and sus is representing my 8 years of buying fakes, buying too high, buying low and not appreciatting it. Thank you for the perspective the cull of 3 is still in the cards but the grand seiko is a sight to behold its hard to explain till you tested it, i was just as sceptical but i was won over by the sheer quality, the level of finish comparing to the rolex 114060 is about the same with a third of the price bought, which rolex gmt model may i ask you are referring to?, the prices for rolex gmt has skyrocketed lately on some of the models.

The GS is the one that stands out for me. The rest is gravy.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    But that is perhaps the reason to avoid these combinations......'icon' can indeed be another word for cliche. Does everyone need to have the same few watches? Probably not.
    Oddly enough I have seven watches and was pondering the 'watch for each day' approach. But I decided the best thing was to sell a few . None of it actually matters, there is no 'correct' approach, why not just do whatever seems most fun.
    What seems most fun has cost me quite alot of quid along the way, the restrain does help to justify the means to an end or at least 'rational explanation to the missus':) But yes I am super guilty having the most fun and leaving her out of my horological conquest(s)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    It's a lovely collection but I think it could use splash of colour too, it's a very utilitarian looking collection, which isn't a bad thing necessarily but I think a bit of colour would add some nice variety. You are missing a pure dress watch too.
    I would think about adding something like a blue diver there are lots out there like the blue Seiko Turtle, Sumo, Omega SMP, Pelagos, etc etc just so you have something that looks great on a sunny day at the beach on holiday etc.
    The other option would be to maybe get a white faced dress watch, maybe a Vintage Seamaster or another Grand Seiko.
    As far as culling I would maybe ditch the Seiko Sus and a Sinn maybe the UZ or the UTC, always harder to cull watches than add them though

Just wanted to add I know you said you are biased to black dialed watches, but you may find that the Blue on the dive ones is very changeable and can often look black in the evening under softer lighting making them very versatile, If you have not already given them a go it's worth trying one out, I wasn't sold on them until I got a Seiko Padi, which I love. And most dress watches are WR to 50 meters making them fine for showering, and sitting in the pool to sipping a nice beverage.
    I be checking on the pelagos reviews in tz

Howabout a couple of pictures of a pure dress watch to tempt the soul?

Quote Originally Posted by thepoetboy View Post
    I be checking on the pelagos reviews in tz

Howabout a couple of pictures of a pure dress watch to tempt the soul?

Well I don't have a dress watch yet myself so can't give you any pictures of mine :-) I have thought long and hard about getting either the Sarb 035 or the 033 to see if I will actually wear a dress watch, they are very cheap for the quality you get and WR etc so a very safe way to test the dress watch waters. Stolen picture from Flickr Everytime I see pictures of these I think gosh they look amazing.

How about a nomos as a dress watch, but keeping the German theme with your Sinn collection.

If your wrist can handle it, then my favourite would be a Zurich - in black / anathracite to fit in with your other watches:

Or "blue-gold" for a splash of colour:

Journeyman
    Perhaps the sus and uts could go. Then a black bay and a nomos

You do have an eighth spot in the box though. Perhaps you have cut too deep?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by steve7 View Post
    Perhaps the sus and uts could go. Then a black bay and a nomos

You do have an eighth spot in the box though. Perhaps you have cut too deep?

Perhaps hence the open discussion on the forum, black bay eta or black bay in house? Nomos prices is steep lately