closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Walking in New York with a Rolex Bag - would you?

Walking in New York with a Rolex Bag - would you?

Would you dare to walk the streets of New York with a Rolex bag, Seems like Gordon Ramsey can - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...-shopping.html

I certainly wouldn't. I always ask for a Tesco or similar plastic bag and put in the posh AD bag in there. The watch will be on my wrist and hidden from view by a long sleeved top.

Independent jewellers that I've dealt with in the UK have all used plain unbranded bags and if there's a branded bag it goes inside.

Perhaps when you're a celebrity you want as much attention as possible.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Master
    May as well write "Mug Me" on your forehead as well. A good mate of mine who's ex-Met Police got hit over the head coming out of the LV shop in Bond Street a few years ago after buying his wife a handbag. He woke up in hospital, could quite easily have died.

Probably not, although his every step was photographed so he's pretty safe.

I feel more relaxed in NY than London though, and generally the locals much more friendly.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by prexelor View Post
    I certainly wouldn't. I always ask for a Tesco or similar plastic bag and put in the posh AD bag in there. The watch will be on my wrist and hidden from view by a long sleeved top.
    i generally pop in the AD dressed in scruffy work clothes and an aldi bag to put stuff in

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post

Perhaps when you're a celebrity you want as much attention as possible.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
    Hahaha!

Master
    I do however pop into Aldi with my Rolex bag.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    i have never got a rolex bag....cant beat an aldi bag though

I'm sure it's fine. The watch was destickered by the AD.

box in ugly plastic bag, watch inside jacket or trousers...

Craftsman
    looks like he has put it on his wrist

Master
    I'm surprised the AD didn't remove the bag before he left the store.

Depends on what part of NY.
    Contrary to uninformed beliefs, street muggings and looting are not a part of everyday life in many parts of NYC.
    I would have absolutely no reservations about walking with a Rolex bag in the parts of NYC that I go to and the time I go. I may not do it because I don't like to advertise the fact- Look at me, I just bought a Rolex. My big,chunky,shiny ceramic Rolex does it for me :-)

I like to be a bit more circumspect...

Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Would you dare to walk the streets of New York with a Rolex bag, Seems like Gordon Ramsey can - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...-shopping.html
    You can if you are GR. Is it for himself or daughter. ? Is he wearing a new SD or Sub? Can't tell??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. I doubt there is any issue in walking down Madison Avenue or 5th Avenue surrounded by paparazzi with a Rolex bag- certainly I have done similar (sans paparazzi) and not worried about it.
    2. He looks to be wearing a white gold submariner with blue face which presumably could be what he has just bought

Master
    And now HMRC will be checking if import duty of 4.5% plus VAT at 20% has been paid...

I wouldn't think twice about it - I was in Manhattan last week and in the right part of town you are surrounded by so many high-end bags you aren't going to stand out.

Quote Originally Posted by rhjj View Post
    box in ugly plastic bag, watch inside jacket or trousers...
    What's the point of buying a watch and then hiding it in your pocket?
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 24th June 2017 at 20:06.

Never seen an UK AD give out rolex paperbags.

Apprentice
    NYC is one of the safest cities I've ever lived in. Go through life afraid, and you've been mugged already.

Journeyman
    I've always felt safe in Manhattan. That being said I've always felt safe in Mayfair as well but people get robbed there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    NYC is one of the safest cities I've ever lived in. Go through life afraid, and you've been mugged already.
    Yep.

If you are frightened of muggers wear some old plastic thing.

Saying that it wouldn't surprise if that is what some members do and just save their good watches for "new watch day" posts or just to show off in general whilst simultaneously making sure the plastics are not touched in any way.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KJBLK View Post
    I've always felt safe in Manhattan. That being said I've always felt safe in Mayfair as well but people get robbed there too.
    Wasn't that where Angela Rippon got mugged? Always gotta be aware.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    Probably not, although his every step was photographed so he's pretty safe.

I feel more relaxed in NY than London though, and generally the locals much more friendly.
    Ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by Boots View Post
    It is more taking precaution walking out of an AD rather than highlighting you have made a (potentially expensive) purchase. In fact, walking out of the AD is the uncomfortable part for me in making a watch purchase.

As for going through life afraid, potentially yes when I am on holiday, I would not want to be wearing an expensive watch. Having said this, I wore my Explorer on a family holiday/wedding in Canada but did not see this a risk.

I have insurance but try to be sensible. If I am going out drinking, I will wear my Seiko. If a wedding/birthday etc, I will wear my Explorer. But then again no one ever notices an Explorer which is a good thing.

Wtf wrote that??? "the 50 year old Scottish beefcake.....who looked as cool as ever" was it written by a child?

Quote Originally Posted by P ELLIS View Post
    i have never got a rolex bag....cant beat an aldi bag though
    I use my ALDI bag whilst wearing my Milgauss GV Black face, in Aldi, Waitrose and Tesco.
    Free coffee from Waitrose well a tiny purchase now.

Master
    I love New York and have always felt very safe,
    I'd rather walk down 5th avenue with a Rolex swag bag than do the same from my local AD in Victoria Street Grimsby!

It's even safe up in the Bronx, recently saw this Rolex which was left unattended without issue

Master
    The short answer to the question posed in the OP is "yes".

Anyway, is "Scottish beefcake" Ramsay not going to be surrounded by minders 24/7 ?

Also, although I do not know NY at all, my daughter has just completed a six month secondment at the NY School of Visual Arts from CSM in London. She says that she felt safer over there than in London. OOI, she lived and partied hard in the Bronx with not a hint of hassle in just over six months.
    Last edited by gc52; 26th June 2017 at 18:17.

I thought old GR was short of money?

Depends on how good looking you are, if your not good looking then no chance...

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by J J Carter View Post
    And now HMRC will be checking if import duty of 4.5% plus VAT at 20% has been paid...
    If he paid for it....publicity stunt and a free watch thrown in a distinct possibility

Quote Originally Posted by mattleicester View Post
    If he paid for it....publicity stunt and a free watch thrown in a distinct possibility

He lives in the USA most of the time so as long as it's an item he owns there even if he wears it here now and again, I don't think he's pay VAT and import duty?

your post really doesn't make any sense in regards to publicity stunt - no AD is named and Rolex themselves aren't such a state that they rely on a blurry pap shot of a man holding a paper bag.
    Last edited by Alansmithee; 26th June 2017 at 21:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Alansmithee View Post
    He lives in the USA most of the time so as long as it's an item he owns there even if he wears it here now and again, I don't think he's pay VAT and import duty?

your post really doesn't make any sense in regards to publicity stunt - no AD is named and Rolex themselves aren't such a state that they rely on a blurry pap shot of a man holding a paper bag.
    Suppose the big brands do not send "celebrities " stuff for nowt. Must be my cynical side coming across.

Quote Originally Posted by mattleicester View Post
    Suppose the big brands do not send "celebrities " stuff for nowt. Must be my cynical side coming across.
    Yes of course they do - but in return they want high quality placement in the right places - a blurry picture of a paper-bag doesn't hit that bar.

The pictures just looked very staged to me. Especially the daughter posing for the camera . It does not matter either way tbh. Good luck to him.