Thread: How robust is the blnr

Craftsman

How robust is the blnr

Han my blnr about 2 weeks now
    I am wearing it as a daily watch but not for work
    I am going on holiday in a few weeks and thinking of only taking 1 watch
    I usually take 2 or 3
    So will be wearing the blnr day and night
    How scratch resistant is the bezel and does the reflective coating on the crystal mark like it does on Breitling's
    I am in two minds wether to take my Royal Oak to wear at night but not sure how good the safe is in the accommodation were staying at.
    I am not too bothered if the blnr takes the odd knock but would never wear the roo as a daily
    As the blnr is my latest watch and getting all the wrist time I'm thinking of not taking the roo as I'd only wear it in the evenings and not sure if it's worth the hassle

Craftsman
    I don't think I'd ever take an expensive watch on holiday for fear of coming home without it.
    Sorry that's not much help.

Craftsman
    That's why I'm thinking of only taking one watch although they are all insured home and away

I didn't think there was a coating on the outside of the crystal.

I haven't come across a Rolex sports watch that wasnt capable of a fair amount of abuse - just wear it and enjoy it.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    I'm only holidaying in the uk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic View Post
    I didn't think there was a coating on the outside of the crystal.

I haven't come across a Rolex sports watch that wasnt capable of a fair amount of abuse - just wear it and enjoy it.
    Thanks for the clarification I had a navi world and within 2 days of owning it had marks on the crystal
    The anti reflective coating is on the in and outside on Breitling's
    It was a large watch so I caught it on everything until I got use to the size

Glad to know Rolex can take abuse

Worked for me. Day and night. It even survived jet skiing and parasailing would you believe!

I wouldn't trust any hotel safe.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Worked for me. Day and night. It even survived jet skiing and parasailing would you believe!

I wouldn't trust any hotel safe.
    Sounds good to me but I doubt I'll get anywhere near the sea

Craftsman
    Is the bezel scratch proof

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    I'm only holidaying in the uk
    in that case I would take it and enjoy. I wrongly presumed you meant a trip abroad.

Craftsman
    Like all Rolex sports models it's a very tough watch so relax and enjoy your watch as well as your holiday.

They were made to be worn and forgotten about.

I wore mine non stop whilst I was in Dubai in March and took part in plenty of activities(dune buggy driving, mountain trekking, quad biking, parasailing, Jetskiing)

I hit it on the side of the Jetski when I fell off as well as the safety cage on the off road buggy and it still looks new. A quick wash/clean and it looks like new again.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Pcl's aside, it's no more fragile than any other watch.
    It's been my holiday watch for the last couple of years:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Pcl's aside, it's no more fragile than any other watch.
    It's been my holiday watch for the last couple of years:

Clacton looks good this time of year
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I thought that was meant to be one of the main benefits of ceramic bezels vs the metal ones.

Plus, if the day date is up to this, the BLNR should manage holiday duties.

Last edited by sean; 23rd June 2017 at 00:59.

Master
    Absolutely, no. Functionality, yes. They shatter though.

Craftsman
    It is scratch resistant but not scratch proof. Mine has proven to be very resilient!

Insure it - wear it - enjoy it.

Watches should be worn,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    The BLNR bezel is ceramic, so "virtually scratch proof". I think the Rolex GMTII - whatever variation - is an ideal one holiday watch.

From the Rolex site:

Manufactured by Rolex from an extremely hard ceramic material since 2005, the exclusive Cerachrom bezel insert and monobloc bezel have excellent anti-corrosion properties and keep their vibrant colours over time. They are virtually scratchproof, and are unaffected by exposure to sunlight as well as to chlorinated or sea water.
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 23rd June 2017 at 07:37.

Craftsman
    The BLNR should absolutely fine as a holiday watch, unless you do saturation diving.

As a side note, I would not trust any hotel safe and leave a Royal Oak there. Some people might notice you wear different watches and figure out the safe has something valuable.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Jesus wept..............again.

Master
    Are these not tool watches?
    Made originally for the deepest oceans and the highest mountains?

Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    Nope, that watch in question is a pilots watch (well it was originally). However other Rolex that will fulfil your stated criteria are available.

Leaving it at the AD with the stickers on is one way to protect it
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408 View Post
    Jesus wept..............again.
    I know,

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBin5 View Post
    Insure it - wear it - enjoy it.

Watches should be worn,

THIS^^^^^
    my old gmt2 is still mint after 13 years of use for holidays and occasional wear bar a little strap stretch comapered to the new watches . I will be taking it and either the batman or green sub with us to Gib in a few weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Auto View Post
    Heavens above where have you been?

Those watches are no longer made, the current offerings need to be transported in special unicorn hair lined cases, they have the structural rigidity of crêpe suzette and must never ever be taken close to water.

Journeyman
    Feel you may be taking an unfairly large amount of flak for this question Bobby! I'm assuming your PCL's are already scratched as you've taken it out the box... Other than that I found the BLNR's bezel and sapphire to be exceptional for resisting marks/ scratches. I've wore one daily for months at a time and without fail, after a clean, it looked like new (bracelet aside...).

Quote Originally Posted by aldfort View Post
    Nope, that watch in question is a pilots watch (well it was originally). However other Rolex that will fulfil your stated criteria are available.
    Well.... it is an oyster case so yeah it kinda was made for the oceans really. Gmt function was more of an evolution was it not?

... and does the reflective coating on the crystal mark like it does on Breitling's
    I find this really odd... I own a 4-year-old Avenger Skyland, a 3-year-old Avenger Seawolf II and a 2-year-old Navitimer World, and all of them have completely unmarked AR coating. Unless you're regularly smashing your watch against things I don't see why you would damage the coating - it's not that fragile.

Simon

Master
    I have had GMT2 for a few months now, worn in rotation, and it does pick up small marks very easily, especially on the bracelet clasp. Going to try it on a NATO for the hot weather.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Only think about the gmt I don't like (cos I'd be too careful wearing it) is the polished centre links. For me a full brushed bracelet would been so much better. NATO is a good solution for more boisterous activities though - also good in case of spring bar failure

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by D4RK1 View Post
    I don't think I'd ever take an expensive watch on holiday for fear of coming home without it.
    Sorry that's not much help.
    +1, I wouldn`t take anything expensive on holiday, take a cheap watch and eliminate the worry of getting it nicked/damaged. Taking two is unwise and unnecessary.

OP doesn`t say what type of holiday etc, but as a general rule sand and watches isn`t a good combination if you want to avoid scratches. The ceramic bezel won`t scratch but the rest of the watch will. That's fine if you're happy with a scratched watch, each to his own, but it wouldn`t suit me.

Both the BLNR and Royal Oak could attract the wrong sort of attention too.

That's my opinion, no doubt others will disagree.

Paul
    Last edited by walkerwek1958; 23rd June 2017 at 10:35.

I treat my watches like my cameras. Where I go - they go. And I take my expensive cameras on holiday so why not a watch. Also if you go to Puerto Banus they will prob assume it's fake anyway bought off the lookie lookie sellers

Craftsman
    My GMTiic (LN not BLNR) is my go to holiday watch. After 7+ years of constant wear/use on the beach, water slides, sea, swimming pools, ski-ing, etc it still looks brand new (from a slight distance lol). A friend even asked if I'd bought another new watch when I was wearing it recently.

The pcl's only show scratches on close inspection and as mentioned above the clasp tends to show up marks/scratches the worst. I can't see any scratches on the ceramic bezel on mine but inspection with a loupe might reveal otherwise. I often think I've seen a scratch but a quick wipe reveals it's just a smudge or finger print.

I'm in the "watches are for wearing" category but I appreciate some like to keep their watches mint.

If you're only going away for a week or two I wouldn't take 2 watches, I can cope with wearing the same watch for 2 weeks (I've had my GMT on for 4 weeks in total now since I got back from holiday). Note to self, change watches at the weekend!

Well.... it is an oyster case so yeah it kinda was made for the oceans really. Gmt function was more of an evolution was it not?

If you check the spec you will find the GMT is rated for 100M only. Not what most people would consider a divers watch. The Submariner, which looks very similar is rated for 300m. So not all oyster cases are created equal. You'll also note there is no depth rating on a current GMT dial.

If you check the spec you will find the GMT is rated for 100M only. Not what most people would consider a divers watch. The Submariner, which looks very similar is rated for 300m. So not all oyster cases are created equal. You'll also note there is no depth rating on a current GMT dial.
    So the current GMT is only suitable for whatever gentle splashing around this was created for?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Very delicate. I looked at it once and the force of my steely gaze made the bezel fall off into a puddle. When I reached down to get the bezel the inside of the crystal fogged up indicating that it had succumbed to water vapour. I gave up in the end and got a g shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    So the current GMT is only suitable for whatever gentle splashing around this was created for?
    What a disingenuous comment, to put it kindly.

Master
    Just fitted my GMT2 to a NATO. Very comfortable and helps with my PCL related swirlaphobia.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Or just get the new steinhart BLNR for when in dodgy areas

It's still an oyster case. Plenty divers with 100m WR. Plenty for most. All I meant was it's DNA is based in water not aviation. Another with surprising only 100m here

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I wear my BLNR almost the entire time, including a significant amount of travel. The only exceptions are developing countries if I'm in local areas rather than hiding in the confines of a resort, and also sailing. The latter because I once saw a bezel ripped off a GMT, with glass smashed to boot, by a stray winch handle. I'm firmly of the school of wear it, enjoy it (insure it!).

It's still an oyster case. Plenty divers with 100m WR. Plenty for most. All I meant was it's DNA is based in water not aviation. Another with surprising only 100m here

Well it does have some water resistance. I never take mine off before washing my hands or doing the washing up. I have even worn it while washing the car!
    Last edited by aldfort; 24th June 2017 at 13:09.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    I wear my BLNR almost the entire time, including a significant amount of travel. The only exceptions are developing countries if I'm in local areas rather than hiding in the confines of a resort, and also sailing. The latter because I once saw a bezel ripped off a GMT, with glass smashed to boot, by a stray winch handle. I'm firmly of the school of wear it, enjoy it (insure it!).
    X2. GMT hand makes it ideal for travel, as does the easy link when in hot climates.

The additional benefit is the way the blue bezel looks in the sun.

Mine has been fine on slides in waterparks, in swimming pools and the sea.

Master
    I've only ever taken 1 watch on holiday, always the watch I happen to want to wear at the time. If anything taking more than 1 is creating unnecessary risk. Unless you are doing some kind of dangerous sport or staying in a dodgy area then your BLNR would be fine.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by dabear View Post
    The BLNR should absolutely fine as a holiday watch, unless you do saturation diving.

As a side note, I would not trust any hotel safe and leave a Royal Oak there. Some people might notice you wear different watches and figure out the safe has something valuable.
    I was thinking the same 1 watch it is then

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by drobertson View Post
    Feel you may be taking an unfairly large amount of flak for this question Bobby! I'm assuming your PCL's are already scratched as you've taken it out the box... Other than that I found the BLNR's bezel and sapphire to be exceptional for resisting marks/ scratches. I've wore one daily for months at a time and without fail, after a clean, it looked like new (bracelet aside...).
    Thanks that's what I was thinking and if the worst was to happen I'll send it to Rolex and it will be as good as new

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I find this really odd... I own a 4-year-old Avenger Skyland, a 3-year-old Avenger Seawolf II and a 2-year-old Navitimer World, and all of them have completely unmarked AR coating. Unless you're regularly smashing your watch against things I don't see why you would damage the coating - it's not that fragile.

Simon
    The navi world was 7 years old I managed to mark the crystal on the first day
    Caught it on a shopping trolley

Master
    No Rolex watches are not robust, they are extremely fragile watches only good for looking at and not for wearing. They should be placed in a safe and not used for the purpose they were designed for....