timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New iPad Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    There's a good article on Notability here:

https://www.macstories.net/ios/ipad-...f-note-taking/
    Perfect, cheers Phil.

I'm very tempted to install the public beta of iOS 11 on my iPad.

I'm very tempted to install the public beta of iOS 11 on my iPad.
    Toyed with the idea myself, but I've read a lot of the apps are up to speed with it yet so may not run properly, I need this to be my work tool so don't really want to mess about.

Quote Originally Posted by gilford View Post
    Toyed with the idea myself, but I've read a lot of the apps are up to speed with it yet so may not run properly, I need this to be my work tool so don't really want to mess about.
    I don't use mine for any real work and am not interested in the drag and drop (I don't think anyway). I want to use the multi tasking. I'm doing an encrypted backup of the iPad at the moment and will carry on using iOS 10 for the time being. I may well jump on PB2.

So I've been brave and installed the public beta of iOS 11 on my iPad Pro 10.5. I've made sure I have an encrypted, archived backup of the iPad on my MacBook before doing the install. First impressions after 5 minutes use are I love the dock and multitasking. Having access to many more apps with a swipe up from the edge is great.

Craftsman
    Just ordered mine with 17% off! Can't wait for it to arrive Wednesday. Will give a full review as I'm upgrading from a iPad Air 1.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

How did you get 17% off ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    How did you get 17% off ?
    My friend works for apple head office so I get that on all products.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Franco81 View Post
    My friend works for apple head office so I get that on all products.

We may not be able to get it, but interesting to hear the employee's friends and family rate

Master
    After reading this decided to stick with my Air 2-i decided I would not use the pen etc
    I bought it used a year or so ago local(ish) at a pretty good price but got a bit hoodwinked- the rear case was damaged (I knew) but the rear camera did not work, I noticed it when I got back to my car but the seller was having nothing of it and shut the door in my face(he was a little unsavoury) I don't really use it but it just bugged me - I found on eBay a good condition used housing containing everything for £30 and a place local to me who would do the 'transplant' for £35. My dad popped it up there yesterday and an hour later it was complete- absolutely perfect and with a working rear camera
    Last edited by lewie; 11th July 2017 at 08:24.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    After reading this decided to stick with my Air 2- would not use the pen etc
    I bought it used a year or so ago local(ish) at a pretty good price but got a bit hoodwinked- the rear case was damaged (I knew) but the rear camera did not work, I noticed it when I got back to my car but the seller was having nothing of it and shut the door in my face(he was a little unsavoury) I don't really use it but it just bugged me - I found on eBay a used housing containing everything for £30 and a place local to me who would do the 'transplant' for £35. My dad popped it up there yesterday and an hour later it was complete- absolutely perfect and with a working rear camera
    Interesting that you did that. There's a lot of "spares or repair" stuff on eBay that appears to be a bit of a bargain. I guess it's just a question piecing together a fully-working unit (and physically putting it together).

Craftsman
    If anyone is still interested I have had mine for a couple of weeks now and it is superb in every way. I will do a full review and report if anyone would like to hear it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    If anyone is still interested I have had mine for a couple of weeks now and it is superb in every way. I will do a full review and report if anyone would like to hear it?

Go ahead ( sent from my new 10.5) and will compare notes!

Yes please I still can’t make my mind up if it’s worth it for me so I would welcome a review as I also want to upgrade from an air 1
    Last edited by Robti; 15th July 2017 at 09:12.

Quote Originally Posted by Robti View Post
    Yes please I still can’t make my mind up if it’s worth it for me so I would welcome a review as I also want to upgrade from an air 1
    I upgraded from an Air 2. The 10.5” Pro is a far superior device. It is a lot faster, everything feels snappy in use. I love the smart keyboard cover, it’s so handy always having a keyboard with me. The pencil is great for annotating documents.

I’m running the public beta of iOS 11 and am really enjoying the new multi tasking and the improvements to the Notes app.

Craftsman

Very interested, I have an Air 1 and keep toying with the idea of getting a new pro, but not sure I can justify it at the moment as all i really use my iPad for is reading, internet and watching some stuff on catchup etc. Not sure an upgrade makes sense just yet, or does it? :D

I only use my air 1 sitting on the couch web browsing so won’t have 5he keyboard

I am waiting for the 'Back to School' promotion before buying a MacBook Pro for my amateur photography/lightroom needs. But after watching this video from Tony Northrop I am having a bit of a rethink.

https://youtu.be/TDvsNRa13CI

Does anyone here use one for for photography? How do you get on with it?

The current US Back to School promotion gives you a set of Beats headphones with eligible Macc and iPads.

Quote Originally Posted by ellomoto View Post
    Very interested, I have an Air 1 and keep toying with the idea of getting a new pro, but not sure I can justify it at the moment as all i really use my iPad for is reading, internet and watching some stuff on catchup etc. Not sure an upgrade makes sense just yet, or does it? :D
    Even the reviewers, who are mostly die-hard techies, seem to say that the Pro is overkill for that sort of thing. The screen is better in terms of colour reproduction & brightness, but it's not day-and-night compared with my wife's Air 2, so watching TV/movies isn't significantly better. The scrolling between screens etc is a little smoother, and the size difference is useful though. As I said before, the iPad (ie "Air 3") at £339 is the sensible option, but you probably wouldn't notice a massive increase in performance from the Air 1, but I guess it wouldn't be a massive trade-up if your Air 1 is in decent sellable condition.

Quote Originally Posted by robcat View Post
    As I said before, the iPad (ie "Air 3") at £339 is the sensible option, but you probably wouldn't notice a massive increase in performance from the Air 1, but I guess it wouldn't be a massive trade-up if your Air 1 is in decent sellable condition.
    Have you seen or held a new iPad? It is definitely not an Air 3. The screen is not laminated the same way as an Air 2. It has a definite air gap like the iPad 4. It is much more an iPad 5, an evolution of the iPad 4, than an evolution of the Air 2. The only improvement over the Air 2 is in processor speed. The rest of the hardware is made to a price.

Have you seen or held a new iPad? It is definitely not an Air 3. The screen is not laminated the same way as an Air 2. It has a definite air gap like the iPad 4. It is much more an iPad 5, an evolution of the iPad 4, than an evolution of the Air 2. The only improvement over the Air 2 is in processor speed. The rest of the hardware is made to a price.
    To be honest, I haven't looked very closely at one, and assumed it was more of an Air 2 with updated innards. I didn't know the Air 2 had the laminated screen (and probably why I like the image quality on my wife's).

Can anyone recommend a nice leather case or cover for this ? Ideally I'd like something like Apple made for the previous model, with the two separate pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by RSBains View Post
    Hi everyone I love watches
    Pardon ?

Should be a belter

Journeyman
    It depends what you want to use it for. I think that if you want to use the pencil or keyboard, then it has to be a Pro.

For general surfing and media though, the Air2 is plenty fast enough.
    This^

I have the latest iPad Pro and it completely replaces my notebook. It is a powerful business tool if you are on site/ in the field but it is also all about the pencil. If you don't use/need the pencil that you probably won't appreciate its ability.
    The game changer for me will be ios11 (hopefully when apple allow us to finally have a proper filing system).

For the record,

I bought and tried the surface pro with high expectations. What an expensive piece of junk!

Journeyman
    Oh, and I use/recommend GoodNotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    For the record,

I bought and tried the surface pro with high expectations. What an expensive piece of junk!
    That's a bit harsh IMO. In a lot of ways the Surface Pro is a great bit of kit, and it's been very well received. The i5 and i7 versions have full-spec laptop performance, properly expandable, and sometimes you just have to have Windows compatibility.

Where I think the SP falls down is as a tablet. I just don't like the Windows tablet interface (even with the pen), so I end up using the keyboard/touchpad interface, and effectively use it as a laptop. iOS is far more user-friendly for "tablety" things i.e. general surfing/email/video.

I accept that you could argue, that if you're going to just use the SP as a laptop, then you're probably better off saving a few quid and buying a similar spec laptop!

I use my iPad far, far more though, so given a straight choice, I'd have an iPad Pro over a SP.

Journeyman
    That's a bit harsh IMO. In a lot of ways the Surface Pro is a great bit of kit, and it's been very well received. The i5 and i7 versions have full-spec laptop performance, properly expandable, and sometimes you just have to have Windows compatibility.

Where I think the SP falls down is as a tablet. I just don't like the Windows tablet interface (even with the pen), so I end up using the keyboard/touchpad interface, and effectively use it as a laptop. iOS is far more user-friendly for "tablety" things i.e. general surfing/email/video.

I accept that you could argue, that if you're going to just use the SP as a laptop, then you're probably better off saving a few quid and buying a similar spec laptop!

I use my iPad far, far more though, so given a straight choice, I'd have an iPad Pro over a SP.
    Ok, you summed most of it up very well but the point of these taplets is imho all about the pen.

I should have said, as a tablet it, it is an expensive piece of junk.

The pen actually works ok on the SP but the interface and compatibility in practice is really poor.
    I have the full spec i7 and iirc it was twice the price of the iPad Pro. I bought it mainly for the pen function and the need for windows compatibility. I now use it as a laptop only (which defeats he object imho) and as you say a similar spec laptop could be had for a lot less.
    I really think Microsoft have lost their way with the new windows app style interface.

I use my tablet mainly for business and it replaces my paper notebook.
    Probably the most important requirement,(think business meeting)to replace paper is the instant on.
    The iPad Pro does this seamlessly whereas the SP takes a while and if it goes to sleep is embarrassingly slow to wake up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Comet View Post
    Ok, you summed most of it up very well but the point of these taplets is imho all about the pen.

I should have said, as a tablet it, it is an expensive piece of junk.

The pen actually works ok on the SP but the interface and compatibility in practice is really poor.
    I have the full spec i7 and iirc it was twice the price of the iPad Pro. I bought it mainly for the pen function and the need for windows compatibility. I now use it as a laptop only (which defeats he object imho) and as you say a similar spec laptop could be had for a lot less.
    I really think Microsoft have lost their way with the new windows app style interface.

I use my tablet mainly for business and it replaces my paper notebook.
    Probably the most important requirement,(think business meeting)to replace paper is the instant on.
    The iPad Pro does this seamlessly whereas the SP takes a while and if it goes to sleep is embarrassingly slow to wake up again.
    To be fair, I think we're probably on the same page - I think the biggest factor is W10 tablet functionality being a bit poor. It's not something I have really got to grips with - maybe if I used it exclusively for while, I'd get it. It's the swiping and general navigation that doesn't seem very intuitive with W10. (Having said that, I don't really like Android, which many prefer to iOS, so to some extent it's what you're used to). Funnily enough, I've used my bluetooth mouse with the SP and no keyboard, and that works quite well.

The battery life of the SP definitely isn't a patch on the iPads - which all seem to easily meet their 10 hour spec. (Although the latest SP is supposed to be much better).

There's no doubt the iPad Pro has become quite a flexible and useful device, and it perhaps makes things like the SP look a bit clunky.

I've not tried the keyboard yet myself. It's a lot of money. (But as you say, you could get an iPad Pro, pen and keyboard for less than the upper spec SPs).