closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: SCRATCHED GLASS

Craftsman

SCRATCHED GLASS

I have a citizen ecodrive that acquired a nice scratch on the glass a few years ago , does any one have their own method of attempting to to remove it successfully ? it does not really warrant sending it away for a full resto as it a snotter i wear for work on the railway and its a cumbersome lump truth be told

Master
    There is a kit you can buy from Cousins.

Craftsman
    spot on , much appreciated

Master
    I have successfully removed scratches from a number of Citizen crystals using a set of diamond paste syringes from eBay, and a Dremel with a soft polishing mop. Takes about 10 minutes tops - allow an extra 5 minutes if the scratch is deep. .

Something like this would do the job >>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RDGTOOLS-2...5iLndFOfmPMSjQ

Don't let it get overheated which could damage the glass. Spread the polishing area around a bit to avoid visible distortions. You don't need the Dremel, but it is very slow to do it by hand. Other brands of rotary tool are available and you can use a cordless drill as an alternative. Easier to clamp the drill in place and offer the watch to the polishing mop rather than wave the drill around! Use masking tape to cover any metal areas that you don't want to polish. Sounds far more difficult than it is.

Good luck

Craftsman
    As with UKMike Diamond polish paste a dremel with mop and a steady hand, don't let it over heat. This will also work on minor scratches on saphire but best on mineral.
    Last edited by gettinon; 22nd June 2017 at 21:14. Reason: keyboard fauxpas

Polywatch now do a 2 stage compound to polish mineral glass. I have not tried it but it could be worth a go. I doubt it would work well on anything but very light scratches though

Craftsman
    Yep got a dremmel so may attack it that way , many thsnks for the heads up . It's an annoying deep ish line so I will take it steady and expect the worst lol

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    I have successfully removed scratches from a number of Citizen crystals using a set of diamond paste syringes from eBay, and a Dremel with a soft polishing mop. Takes about 10 minutes tops - allow an extra 5 minutes if the scratch is deep. .

Something like this would do the job >>> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RDGTOOLS-2...5iLndFOfmPMSjQ

Don't let it get overheated which could damage the glass. Spread the polishing area around a bit to avoid visible distortions. You don't need the Dremel, but it is very slow to do it by hand. Other brands of rotary tool are available and you can use a cordless drill as an alternative. Easier to clamp the drill in place and offer the watch to the polishing mop rather than wave the drill around! Use masking tape to cover any metal areas that you don't want to polish. Sounds far more difficult than it is.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by .olli. View Post
    Polywatch now do a 2 stage compound to polish mineral glass. I have not tried it but it could be worth a go. I doubt it would work well on anything but very light scratches though

What is it called? I searched Google but do not find it.
    Thanks

Journeyman
    been thinking of polishing a scratch off a sapphire crystal as well, but no tools so i've been dreading buying the diamond paste kit.

please keep us updated here if possible on your progress. it might urge me into action...

Craftsman
    What grit size do you recommend Mike ?

Quote Originally Posted by parsig9 View Post
    What is it called? I searched Google but do not find it.
    Thanks
    https://www.polywatch.de/en/glass-polish/
    Last edited by .olli.; 23rd June 2017 at 20:41.

Quote Originally Posted by .olli. View Post
    Found it and ordered. Thanks again.

Craftsman
    Just ordered a range of diamond pastes so when they arrive I shall have a bash at tidying up the face of the thing ! Cheers chaps