closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: AD has lost my Speedmaster

AD has lost my Speedmaster

I bought my Speedy reduced a few months ago from the pre-owned section of a local AD, the watch developed a fault and I returned it under warranty. "no problem sir it will be back in around 3 weeks".
    4 weeks later and no sign of the watch I contacted them to find out that it would be another couple of weeks, a fortnight later I was informed that the repair was again delayed. Finally the good news came when they emailed to say the watch was now in store for collection, however things took a turn for the worse when I went to the shop be be handed a different watch.

Mine is a mid 90's watch with a tritium dial as shown below, and what they gave me was a newer Speedy reduced with a SL dial and a bracelet that was 3 links shorter than I needed.

At this stage I would like a full refund and even if they do find my missing watch through their repair chain I don't want to wait another 6 weeks to have it back but I'm not sure if I'm within my rights to get the refund at this stage.
    Last edited by Morning Wood; 2nd July 2017 at 18:43.

Journeyman
    Sorry to hear that. Have they acknowledged that's not your watch? Did you photo/record the serial number of yours? The missing links don't make sense, but otherwise is it possible they've just fitted a service replacement dial?

Quote Originally Posted by gee_cee View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Have they acknowledged that's not your watch? Did you photo/record the serial number of yours? The missing links don't make sense, but otherwise is it possible they've just fitted a service replacement dial?
    Yes, they have said the watch returned to me was a mistake and that they could not say at this stage where my watch is, an investigation is on going to locate it.

Yours was such a lovely watch as well, the patina was stunning, I would hold fire and let them investigate first before demanding a refund, that watch was better than the cash equivalent.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Yours was such a lovely watch as well, the patina was stunning, I would hold fire and let them investigate first before demanding a refund, that watch was better than the cash equivalent.

Good luck.
    I will see what they come up with today but now that I have my MK2 Speedmaster I don't think this one would be worn much anyhow.

Master
    And you are currently without it, how about a loan watch or a significant discount on something else (your watch back / refund aside). They basically have your cash and you have no watch at the moment.

That's unfortunate. Hope for a satisfactory resolution.

Craftsman
    At the very least I hope you gain a free service!

I also obviously hope they find and return your original watch!

Update from tonight, they claim to have located the watch and I been promised that it will be in store for collection next Thursday, so fingers crossed.

Good news Paul.
    Last edited by -Ally-; 22nd June 2017 at 19:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    how about a loan watch
    Has any AD ever given out a 'loan watch'? I thought they only existed in TMS-world.

Loan car I can understand...you need a car, but loan watch?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Has any AD ever given out a 'loan watch'? I thought they only existed in TMS-world.

When my Panerai crown stem broke it was sent back under warranty by Wempe, where I'd bought it from. Before I left they told me to select from a choice of watches to take as a replacement. Nothing like my PAM but a nice enough, Wempe brand quartz dress watch. When I took it I told them I'd bring it back when my PAM was sorted and they said "oh no sir, that's with our complements for the inconvenience."

It was a nice little thing that I eventually gave to a good friend of mine so he'd have a dress watch for his wedding day - his only watch was a horrible sporty Breil that I couldn't possibly allow to be on his wrist in all those lovely wedding photos! He still wears it at times several years on.

P.S. Horrible story, OP. I must say when stuff went wrong with my mum's Omega they couldn't have been better about it at the Omega Boutique - even though she had bought it elsewhere. Hopefully you'll be similarly satisfied with your resolution.

Journeyman
    Really hope this get resolved, especially with vintage stuff you want your watch back

Quote Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
    Update from tonight, they claim to have located the watch and I been promised that it will be in store for collection next Thursday, so fingers crossed.
    Where have they located it ? the other side of the world..

If you can wait 180 days, a week's going to seem like a doddle

Craftsman
    Sounds like a nightmare. Hope OP gets it resolved positively eventually.

Any update on this?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post

We do.

We have an old Air King and a ladys steel & white Datejust as loan watches.

Sadly there's only the two so it's a bit of pot luck to get it.

But, in our opinion, if someone leaves a Rolex for service it is great to be able to help when we can.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post
    When my Panerai crown stem broke it was sent back under warranty by Wempe, where I'd bought it from. Before I left they told me to select from a choice of watches to take as a replacement. Nothing like my PAM but a nice enough, Wempe brand quartz dress watch. When I took it I told them I'd bring it back when my PAM was sorted and they said "oh no sir, that's with our complements for the inconvenience."
    Now that's service!

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Now that's service!
    Certainly is. There was no possibility of discount etc. when I bought it but this kind of service makes you feel fine about that. I was more than happy.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Well I have news but it's not great. The watch has still not turned up and I've been offered a credit note to the value of £1750.
    The store stocks Tudor, Tag, B&R and Bremont, I don't really want spend much more than £2500 but I've no idea what to chose at that price point.

Well I have news but it's not great. The watch has still not turned up and I've been offered a credit note to the value of £1750.
    The store stocks Tudor, Tag, B&R and Bremont, I don't really want spend much more than £2500 but I've no idea what to chose at that price point.
    I hope that is just as an 'apology', and you will still be re-united with your watch when the thing turns up.

Ask Howdy what he would do:-)

It couldn't happen to a nicer chap
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Do not accept a credit note. Cash or the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    It couldn't happen to a nicer chap
    Thanks, you are a credit to the forum.

Blog Entries
    Ask for a cash refund on the purchase price and £250 for your inconvenience

Why give them the business?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Thanks, you are a credit to the forum.
    I'm not condoning it Paul, but I think you are going to continue to receive snide comments until you are open about your identity.

Time to 'come out' methinks.

Hope you get the watch back and I would wait rather than take store credit and actually have to throw in your own money for something you want.

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches View Post

It was a nice little thing that I eventually gave to a good friend of mine so he'd have a dress watch for his wedding day - his only watch was a horrible sporty Breil that I couldn't possibly allow to be on his wrist in all those lovely wedding photos! He still wears it at times several years on.

P.S. Horrible story, OP. I must say when stuff went wrong with my mum's Omega they couldn't have been better about it at the Omega Boutique - even though she had bought it elsewhere. Hopefully you'll be similarly satisfied with your resolution.
    WoW
    Service

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Hope you get the watch back and I would wait rather than take store credit and actually have to throw in your own money for something you want.
    I have given up on getting that watch back and will accept a credit note to the full valve of the watch and a discount on a replacement which I think will be the new Tudor black bay steel.

Craftsman
    I think you'll love the BB Steel, it's a step up from Speedy (unless you're into the space theme)

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I'm not condoning it Paul, but I think you are going to continue to receive snide comments until you are open about your identity.

Time to 'come out' methinks.

Master
    I have given up on getting that watch back and will accept a credit note to the full valve of the watch and a discount on a replacement which I think will be the new Tudor black bay steel.
    Why would you accept a credit note as opposed to cash?

Quote Originally Posted by HenPecked View Post
    You'll likely be waiting until his next meltdown and banning.

True to his cowardly nature, MW/Captainhowdy/Ty Webb/Blackbird will simply ignore anything pertaining to this deceit.

Master
    Was it one of the Edinburgh ADs? If so, can you drop me a PM of which one as my MkII will be going in for some work in a few weeks.. would rather avoid.

Yes, they have said the watch returned to me was a mistake and that they could not say at this stage where my watch is, an investigation is on going to locate it.
    A case of the wrong watch, IMHO what they've offered you isn't enough.

I would be asking for the equivalent new watch, which is probably a regular new Speedmaster, or one of the automatic versions. A credit note isn't really equivalent to a missing Speedmaster - they lost it, they should replace it imo.
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    I agree, I wouldn't accept a credit note, to be honest it's just not good enough.
    I worked in retail for years and it's basically a cop out so the firm don't lose money. Considering they have lost something they should take full responsibility. As others have said, a new watch equivalent would do. Or you get the credit note and ask for a huge discount. Is it a big shop? Chain?

Also is there any sentimental value on the watch?

Wasn't your purchase actually a NEW Dark Side of the Moon???

Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    I think you'll love the BB Steel, it's a step up from Speedy (unless you're into the space theme)
    I will have to disagree with this statement. I own 2 Black bays (Red and Bronze) and 3 Speedmasters. Both models and brands are excellent quality. However, when I saw and tried on the steel Black bay it really underwhelmed me. It felt like a much cheaper watch and quite cold due to the colour choices. So in this case I would agree that they replace like with like or give you a full cash refund and extra for the loss!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    We do.

We have an old Air King and a ladys steel & white Datejust as loan watches.

Sadly there's only the two so it's a bit of pot luck to get it.

But, in our opinion, if someone leaves a Rolex for service it is great to be able to help when we can.
    You're in my neck of the woods Oracle, Moody's by any chance ?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    I will have to disagree with this statement. I own 2 Black bays (Red and Bronze) and 3 Speedmasters. Both models and brands are excellent quality. However, when I saw and tried on the steel Black bay it really underwhelmed me. It felt like a much cheaper watch and quite cold due to the colour choices. So in this case I would agree that they replace like with like or give you a full cash refund and extra for the loss!
    I own BB steel and it was the first modern Tudor that tickled my pickle. It's sterile but that (plus the red accents and lack of fake patina) is what attracted me to it. It's not pretending to be hipstinkee friendly. I used to own a steel Tudor submariner so I might have a thing for this style mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    I own BB steel and it was the first modern Tudor that tickled my pickle. It's sterile but that (plus the red accents and lack of fake patina) is what attracted me to it. It's not pretending to be hipstinkee friendly. I used to own a steel Tudor submariner so I might have a thing for this style mind.
    +1 on the styling. While I like the other black bays I think this one looks the best in my opinion.

What the...

You said they have your watch and it will be back to you in a week, followed by "I have given up on getting that watch back and will accept a credit note...".

It seems unlikely the watch is both on its way back and they are offering you a credit note for an entirely new one.