closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looks like somebody has been scammed in the Rolex community

Master

Looks like somebody has been scammed in the Rolex community

I'm only passing on what I've read but it appears someone has purchased a Rolex used, and has received a bottle of perfume instead of the Submariner that 8000euros was paid for.

As I say, it's nothing to do with me, and you can read about it on other forums and Facebook groups, but here's what I saw earlier...

Isn't that a he ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Isn't that a he ?
    It's "zhe"

She's a big lad

Craftsman
    Why bother sending the perfume if it's a scam?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Proof of postage and receipt of something...?

Then down to argument as to what was actually shipped and received??

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by toptime View Post
    Why bother sending the perfume if it's a scam?

Postal services weigh the parcels, if the perfume wasn't there the victim could prove only an empty box was sent by the weight.

Craftsman
    I'm obviously missing something then, why bother sending anything at all ? The argument will be the same regardless. There's no mention that this is an eBay/PayPal dispute...... I'm guessing it's a forum dispute

Master
    Presumably the perfume was the same weight as a Rolex? Best way is F to F for that amount of dosh!

Master
    The gist of what I've read is that the seller has pictures of the watch being packaged, and then a photo of how much it weighed. The buyer has then opened the package, found there's perfume and a booklet inside, weighed it himself and founds it's identical.

So they're saying the seller has scammed them, but the seller is denying it and is saying they're waiting for the postal insurance to cover it, taking 4-6 weeks. I feel very sorry for the buyer, that's a heck of a lot of money.

Worst of all, several people on Facebook are saying they've dealt with the seller and they've been part of the community for a long time.

Could it be a reverse scam?

I can't see why the PO would pay out as the parcel was delivered, unless the suggestion is that it was tampered with by them.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arcam; 22nd June 2017 at 07:54.

Craftsman
    Crikey, poor bloke!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcam View Post
    Could it be a reverse scam?

I can't see why the PO would pay out as the parcel was delivered, unless the suggestion is that it was tampered with by them.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
    I don't see why they'd pay either. Just a nasty situation.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    The gist of what I've read is that the seller has pictures of the watch being packaged, and then a photo of how much it weighed. The buyer has then opened the package, found there's perfume and a booklet inside, weighed it himself and founds it's identical.

So they're saying the seller has scammed them, but the seller is denying it and is saying they're waiting for the postal insurance to cover it, taking 4-6 weeks. I feel very sorry for the buyer, that's a heck of a lot of money.

Worst of all, several people on Facebook are saying they've dealt with the seller and they've been part of the community for a long time.
    Perhaps some kind of insurance scam?

Craftsman
    Just another reason to only deal with people face to face, I feel sorry for all involved if it isn't a scam.

Master
    I worked for RM for 22 years and small parcels containing something other than what was ordered is pretty common.

It is like sending a letter by recorded delivery, all it proves is that you sent an envelop.

I have always travelled to collect a watch at the sellers address as there is too much risk in sending something small and valuable through the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I worked for RM for 22 years and small parcels containing something other than what was ordered is pretty common.

It is like sending a letter by recorded delivery, all it proves is that you sent an envelop.

I have always travelled to collect a watch at the sellers address as there is too much risk in sending something small and valuable through the post.
    That's interesting and slightly worrying. I've sent two Rolex to buyers in the past year via RM with no problems. I would think twice next time.

Thoughts are with the buyer here , devastated would be an understatement .

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post

What about the silver tamper proof rmsd bags?
    How safe do you think they are in transit?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

so is photographing item in box being packaged and then said item on scales normal practise ?? is that a bit of a red herring ??

Master
    Both long term forum users?

Suspicion on seller first, possible scam by postal worker, possible scam by buyer.

That's the order of probability here IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    so is photographing item in box being packaged and then said item on scales normal practise ?? is that a bit of a red herring ??
    Indeed.

Sent on the run.
    "Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Craftsman
    Pics of parcel on the scales is very suspect, only other than to prove postage costs.
    I have got into the practice of sending pics of the address on a parcel if I have handwritten it so that the buyer can point out any mistakes

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I think the silver bags are safe. Easy to spot tampering and reject pre signing to return to sender but I'm not sure they can be used to post overseas

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    possible scam by buyer.
    If it's who I think it is then no.
    "A man of little significance"

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    One of my responsibilities was to run contracts with independent agencies who were paid to send out thousands of unmarked letters and parcels to various addresses and to check for loss, damage and late arrival.

Back in my day (about 15 years ago, the UK had the best record in the world and the chances of something being lost was virtually nil. Late delivery was the most common occurrence and damage was always due to private posters packing inadequately. Damage to commercially packed goods was virtually non existent.

However despite all this, if someone sends a parcel with a stone in it instead of what you ordered, you are in difficulties unless the sender has a record of doing it before.

There is no way I would let anyone post a high value watch to me.

Master
    After encountering one dishonest seller and going through Small Claims for the first and only time, I now video both the packaging and unpackaging of anything of significant value. I appreciate it's not a guarantee of success in making a claim against the courier or seller but it's better than nothing. The buyer could take legal action via their equivalent of MCOL/Small claims where it's about what's reasonable rather than 100% proven and a Judge would consider contemporaneous video to be strong evidence in support of your case.

Fwiw I understand and expect any courier to resist a claim without incontrovertible evidence of tampering by their staff. The burden of proof in such a claim is very much higher than where a parcel is lost.

The H&V system on here is very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I think the silver bags are safe. Easy to spot tampering and reject pre signing to return to sender but I'm not sure they can be used to post overseas
    There are lots of plain brand free 'tamper proof / evident ' similar bags on ebay.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    There are lots of plain brand free 'tamper proof / evident ' similar bags on ebay.
    And at the post office. I wouldn't post without bagging stuff, even if it's a cardboard box.
    (I was answering specifically about the silver rm ones)

Craftsman
    Happened to me but with a low value item ended up getting a refund from PayPal

Blog Entries
    I've sent and received many high value watches by RMSD over the years on TZ with other forum members - no issues whatsoever. It really is a case of trust - which makes this forum such a great place to belong. I can't think of anywhere else I would deposit £6K into someone's account and have no qualms.

When I first started this watch collection lark I used to buy off eBay even from sellers in the states (and paying import tax / delivery expenses - those days are long gone now.

The same happened to me when I bought some perfume from the same seller.
    They sent me a Submariner instead. Please ban them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I can't think of anywhere else I would deposit £6K into someone's account and have no qualms.
    Same here, it almost feels normal practice with long-standing members :-)

And me. Sent someone >£7k on pure trust just this week. Nowhere else would I even dream of this. Beyond the BP the people of this forum are -thankfully- majorly decent.

Master
    I guess the only thing to memtion in this case is they were both long standing members according to the above. If that's true then it's a real shame.

I was ripped off on another forum years ago by a long standing member, so it does happen. And I'd even dealt with him before.

I've looked on the Rolex forum and can't find any thread, be interested to read about it as it sounds pretty much the seller was scamming (what with taking the pics to show 'proof') But you never really know, like someone mentioned above it could be a reverse scam from the buyer. The pics of weighing it etc seem like a red herring from the seller yet it could be the buyer asked for this to be done to make it seem suspect (like most of us are) Most likely the seller at fault though.

Master
    I wouldn't send anything of Rolex value through the post, that's why I took my sub to goldsmiths when it needed servicing and let them send it

A few years back I sent some expensive networking kit to south Africa. The parcel arrived, my colleague opened it up only to find three saucepans (of about the same weight)!
    I would trust UK Post Office workers (they used to have to sign the official secrets Act, not sure if they still do) but not so much developing countries'!

Sent from my STV100-4 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Things can happen that turn good guys into fraudsters. The name escapes me, but the guy in the US who was one of the most well known vintage Rolex dealers on the forums etc - IIRC his wife left him, cleaned him out and he ripped off several people who sent him money on trust, based on his previous excellent reputation.

It's an unlikely event, but can certainly happen.

Steve Mulholland - light bulb moment just now.

Never lost any watch either way between Cy Uk and Singapore Germany and other european countries in 20 years of me having this interest
    Lucky i guess

Apprentice

Asking for information

I'm only passing on what I've read but it appears someone has purchased a Rolex used, and has received a bottle of perfume instead of the Submariner that 8000euros was paid for.

As I say, it's nothing to do with me, and you can read about it on other forums and Facebook groups, but here's what I saw earlier...

Hi,

I'm a new member that has been scammed for the same girl you mentioned in your post in June. Can you please send me pictures of your post, because they have been delete. The girl is Majbritt Hindborg Holleding and would like to beIN touch with the guy who was scammed. I really appreciated your help.
    Thanks

Pablo

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    That's interesting and slightly worrying. I've sent two Rolex to buyers in the past year via RM with no problems. I would think twice next time.
    Next thing to happen will be people video recording themselves wrapping it up at the postal service and continue recording right up to the point of weighing it and passing it over under the counter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    A workmate bought a sub on eBay for the very low (in my opinion) price of £2600, what arrived was an old wireless router, it was sent by special delivery, pay pal gave him a refund but his wife is an ex policewomen so pushed the matter further, it turns out the seller was a convicted insurance scammer so I’m guessing the claim was against the Royal Mail.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paulscurfield View Post
    A workmate bought a sub on eBay for the very low (in my opinion) price of £2600, what arrived was an old wireless router, it was sent by special delivery, pay pal gave him a refund but his wife is an ex policewomen so pushed the matter further, it turns out the seller was a convicted insurance scammer so I’m guessing the claim was against the Royal Mail.
    Why would there be a claim against Royal Mail? They have no control over what people put inside the parcels they post.

If PayPal wanted to recover their money and could not do so by taking the money from the scammer's PP-linked account(s) as per their Ts&CS then their civil claim would be against the scammer.
    Last edited by markrlondon; 1st February 2018 at 14:33.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bond View Post
    Next thing to happen will be people video recording themselves wrapping it up at the postal service and continue recording right up to the point of weighing it and passing it over under the counter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I thought about while reading this.. the same would apply when receiving the packages...

Sent from my [device_name] using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo6263 View Post
    Hi,

I'm a new member that has been scammed for the same girl you mentioned in your post in June. Can you please send me pictures of your post, because they have been delete. The girl is Majbritt Hindborg Holleding and would like to beIN touch with the guy who was scammed. I really appreciated your help.
    Thanks

Pablo
    Just mentioning that Pablo's post (yesterday) was resurrecting this thread from June last year, looks like he joined especially.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon View Post
    Why would there be a claim against Royal Mail? They have no control over what people put inside the parcels they post.

If PayPal wanted to recover their money and could not do so by taking the money from the scammer's PP-linked account(s) as per their Ts&CS then their civil claim would be against the scammer.
    Because the seller insured the package and claimed the ‘Rolex’ was stolen in transit, pay pal refunded my friend within weeks of the router being delivered.

Blog Entries
    Because the seller insured the package and claimed the ‘Rolex’ was stolen in transit, pay pal refunded my friend within weeks of the router being delivered.
    If PayPal refunded the buyer then their claim to recover their expenses would be against the seller.

In theory the seller would have a claim against Royal Mail but if it was discovered that he was in fact a scammer then such a claim wouldn't have got very far.

From what you've said, it seems that there was certainly no legitimate claim against Royal Mail.

Apprentice
    If PayPal refunded the buyer then their claim to recover their expenses would be against the seller.

In theory the seller would have a claim against Royal Mail but if it was discovered that he was in fact a scammer then such a claim wouldn't have got very far.

From what you've said, it seems that there was certainly no legitimate claim against Royal Mail.
    I never said there was a legitimate claim, the seller was a fraudster! The claim never went anywhere as the scammer had previous convictions for fraud,
    Are you calling me a liar?

Blog Entries
    Are you calling me a liar?
    Good grief. No.

Good grief. No.
    You have discovered brevity! Well done.