closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RMSD goes "Missing"

RMSD goes "Missing"

I've had a rather troublesome CWC diver that's been back and forth to Brendan at Webwatchmaker in Torquay
    A few times in the past couple of months.
    Latest parcel was sent on Friday.
    I checked with Brendan earlier if it had arrived and... No sign.
    Tracked online and RM said We have your parcel. We attempted delivery on the 17th (Saturday) and left a whilst you were out card.
    I told Brendan this but he hadn't had a card through.
    Brendan has been to the sorting office this afternoon to be told the parcel was collected on Monday...????

I've just spoken to a lady at the office who has told me she is investigating but as a manager is not in today has suggested I call back in the morning.
    She told me it had been signed for but didn't have the signature at the moment...???
    I asked how could somebody collect it without the card and the tracking number?
    She said without the card they would have insisted on photo id.
    Curiouser and curiouser...

So, I'm waiting to speak to the manager in the morning.

Your thoughts please

Even with the card they should of had to show ID! I always have to.
    Last edited by JasonM; 21st June 2017 at 16:56.

Craftsman
    That sounds suspicious - hope it turns up.

Wow, never heard of anything like this before.
    Surely worst case scenario is you claim for a missing parcel, and get the value of the watch back.
    Hope it all works out for you.

Some don't even ask for ID
    If you have the card they just take a sig

You'll not lose out

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    I was left a card on Saturday but this was for a different parcel. Which I collected later that afternoon. No card was left for John's parcel.
    Today I went to the sorting office and was only asked for my postcode. I was then given a parcel belonging to my next door neighbour which I promptly gave back to the sorting office.
    I still have the wrapping for the parcel I did pick up on Saturday. That's lucky because the PO might just say that my signature was for the parcel missing and not the one I picked up.
    I might add that this will be the first parcel I haven't received in over 30 years.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Webwatchmaker View Post
    I might add that this will be the first parcel I haven't received in over 30 years.

It is my understanding that RMSD is an incredibly reliable service.
    With all my TZ flipping over the years, I think that I have 2 parcels arrive a day late (don't forget to claim your money back!).

Banned
    Torquay, Devon. Great place to work and relax. Love flying and lots of great sea walks.
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    It is my understanding that RMSD is an incredibly reliable service.
    With all my TZ flipping over the years, I think that I have 2 parcels arrive a day late (don't forget to claim your money back!).
    It is the best service in Europe. Of that I have no doubt.

Banned
    I should add that John bought what turned out to be a faulty loose pack movement which is why it has been back and forth.
    I hoped to be able to correct it for him.
    No good deed goes unpunished it would seem !

I was expecting a RMSD package which was delivered to the wrong address and signed for there. Royal Mail and the sender didn't want to know, because it was showing up on the system as delivered (just not to me). Some time later it arrived so I assume the stranger who signed for it at a different address popped it back in the post. I never got to the bottom of why it was delivered to the wrong address in the first place.

If you PM me your email address I will put you in touch with the person you need to talk to in the chairman's office for a quick resolution.

I had one sent to me that didn't arrive, no red card left, the sender informed me it had been delivered and signed for according to the tracking info. It eventually made it's way back to the sender three weeks later and he took it to his sorting office (where he'd reported it lost) and they took it for redelivery again with no extra charge. Six weeks later it was delivered to me and had more franking marks on the packaging than a teenage stamp collector could dream of. Three weeks after that I had a call from the Post Office Investigative Department checking I'd received an RMSD package containing a Seiko watch three weeks previously, I told him I receive them every day and could he be more specific. Four days after that he called back with the senders name and address. A bit of a shambles but it did turn up.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    I never got to the bottom of why it was delivered to the wrong address in the first place.
    RM hire people from agencies and the turnover is pretty high. I had many parcels/letters delivered to my address even though they were addressed to the same house number but on the other side of the street (with its own post code). Anyone local knows this setup except the agency hired postmen.

Banned

Parcel just arrived at 5.20pm. How's that for personal service ?
    They know how many parcels I send and receive and didn't like the threat of using a courier in future !
    No new watch then John ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparjar View Post
    RM hire people from agencies and the turnover is pretty high. I had many parcels/letters delivered to my address even though they were addressed to the same house number but on the other side of the street (with its own post code). Anyone local knows this setup except the agency hired postmen.
    We've had the same postie for over ten years and she's pragmatic, lovely and very old school RM.

Parcel just arrived at 5.20pm. How's that for personal service ?
    They know how many parcels I send and receive and didn't like the threat of using a courier in future !
    No new watch then John ?

Phew!
    Good news Brendan, thank you.
    I was just coming on to add that the toing and froing was in no way your fault but you've beaten me to it.

All's well that ends well.
    Let's hope that it's savable this time.
    Thanks for your input guys and the kind offer of the chairmans email address.

I've only ever had one parcel go missing, and that was a 1st Cass Signed-For, not RMSD. I had two cards, one the day after the other, went with both cards to collect the parcels but only one parcel was found. I went back the next day and the clerk said it had been signed for so job done. What? Not signed for by me, mate.

I filed a complaint, heard nothing for three weeks until my mum called and said the parcel she sent for my birthday had been returned to her. At least it made its way back to the sender.

It's more than likely an admin error and the parcel will be in a pile somewhere. As long as you put your return address on the package, it should make its way back to you.

EDIT: Doh! Posted (pun intended) while the good news was coming through. All's well, etc.
    Last edited by Onelasttime; 21st June 2017 at 17:39.

Banned
    You'd be amazed how many customers forget to put a return address inside. Please guys ! I have watches here I have to wait for the sender to ask "has it arrived yet...?"

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67 View Post
    We've had the same postie for over ten years and she's pragmatic, lovely and very old school RM.
    That's a good position to be in. Where I live if I see the same postie for more than 3 months it's a miracle. And we get two different ones doing rounds each day, I guess for the special and regular post.

Grand Master
    You'd be amazed how many customers forget to put a return address inside. Please guys ! I have watches here I have to wait for the sender to ask "has it arrived yet...?"

I've had exactly the same problem! In a significant number of cases the sender's address isn't clear and unambiguous..... .a barely legible postcode is not uncommon.

It should be obvious; the sender's address is vital to wnsure the item can be returned to the sender should delivery fail for some reason.

I always recommend using the grey plastic RMSD envelopes as outer packaging. Print the address clearly and print the sender's address clearly too. I've never had a problem with RMSD apart from one item arriving 1 day late during Christmas rush.

Paul

Blog Entries
    Imagine I nearly had a heart attack when my 5146J Patek didn't turn up on the expected day managed by RMSD - being a £30K watch meant I was nearly killed by my better half.

it got delivered next day (gasp)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    Imagine I nearly had a heart attack when my 5146J Patek didn't turn up on the expected day managed by RMSD - being a £30K watch meant I was nearly killed by my better half.

it got delivered next day (gasp)
    ...and all my good work gone to waste. ...!
    I often find RMSD a day late from here to N.Ireland. But I don't claim.

Blog Entries

I have to say I've never had RMSD lose anything in my limited experience

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I have to say I've never had RMSD lose anything in my limited experience
    Nor me !!

RMSD has been good to me over the years as well and I have taken the gamble and sent many high value watches via this service without the appropriate insurance and had no problems.

I am pleased for the OP that it turned up. Relief all round.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Even with the card they should of had to show ID! I always have to.
    I've never once had to. At my last address, the postman wouldn't even bother rigning the bell, and would just sign the thing as delivered himself and then just dump the package in a communal drop box.

Quote Originally Posted by hafle View Post
    I've never once had to. At my last address, the postman wouldn't even bother rigning the bell, and would just sign the thing as delivered himself and then just dump the package in a communal drop box.
    Not so good. My old postie and I had a arrangement that he would sign it on my behalf and leave it in a secret place, my new postie wouldn't entertain the notion, I asked if they could leave them with my 200 yard away village PO but that's not allowed either, so now it's a ball ache drive and park in my local town to pick up.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Not so good. My old postie and I had a arrangement that he would sign it on my behalf and leave it in a secret place, my new postie wouldn't entertain the notion, I asked if they could leave them with my 200 yard away village PO but that's not allowed either, so now it's a ball ache drive and park in my local town to pick up.
    Yeah, if it were my parents house, not an issue, they often just leave it outside the door without issue. My old flat though, if it felt like there was a bank card in an envelope, the it would be taken by other tenants in the building. This postie just didn't care. I've never once had an issue with RMSD and would happily send something worth far more than 2.5k with them, but my experience has been soured a tad since moving to London. I still think it is silly that RMSD does not have to be delivered to and signed for by the recipient, but that anyone at the address can sign for it. Both my rolexes were signed for by the concierge and just left sitting on the floor with a pile of parcels for anyone to grab sohuld they feel so inclined.

Craftsman
    Glad it all ended up ok
    I did once have a parcel go missing it turned out the postman decided to sign for it
    I got compensated for it in the end

I've only lost one watch and that was a delivery to Germany, after a bit of jostling and waiting 28 days I was recompensed as the postie in Germany had decided to help himself to it.

Another tale when I purchased a triple date speedie and was sent RMSD, after no next day delivery I PM'd seller to be told it had been signed for and when tracked it did indeed show a signature but it wasn't mine and I couldn't make it out so after another 48hrs and calling PO there was a knock at the door and a neighbour from across the way had the package and had signed for it but thought I would have called over to pick it up but as there was no card left to inform me I thought I'd been stung, few nervous days but all came good in the end.

Never had anything go missing with RMSD , just hope I never do .

Master

Yes we seem to be a backwater but one gets used to it. Amazed how many people in GB don't realise that we are in UK. But back to topic, my ex has sent and received countless baby paraphernalia using RM services and has yet to loose anything.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Just rereading this thread may I reiterate that the several journeys
    to Brendan we're initial repairs and then repairs to a faulty replacement movement that I had supplied.
    There was no question over Brendan's workmanship or implication of negligence on his part.
    I supplied a duff guts.
    He's very patiently trying to save it for me.
    This is the first RMSD he has had go "missing" in 30 years.
    Turned out to be a sorting office error,
    As said.. All's well that ends well.
    Last edited by John Wall; 22nd June 2017 at 16:55.

I get everything delivered to a Doddle collection point in Canary Wharf.
    I've had a couple of RMSDs go astray as they've accidentally been dropped off in the Barclays mailroom along with their huge van full of mail!

1st time was a real panic as I could see it had been delivered but wasn't at Doddle, now I know to relax, I report it, then it turns up within 48 hrs and the sender gets a refund on the postage, Win-Win
    Last edited by robcuk; 22nd June 2017 at 21:58.

Master
    If a docket is left, on collection you should be asked for the card and ID that matches - we insist- it does annoy some trying to collect without card or ID but ensures your not given someone else's packet
    And yes I've heard every 'excuse' - I've even had to eject a few 'insistent ' customers when they think bad language and threats will get them the packet
    Last edited by lewie; 22nd June 2017 at 18:13.

Thanks for an "inside" word Lewie.
    Nice to hear that what one expects and pays for does happen.
    Especially if it's worth "£2500"

For the second time in 7 days, I have had a RMSD no show. Also, an Amazon Prime (next day delivery) parcel has also not appeared.
    The first RMSD arrived 24 hours late, but the one that should have arrived today, has no tracking beyond 2100 last night.
    Is the system that I have sworn by for years beginning to fail?

For the second time in 7 days, I have had a RMSD no show. Also, an Amazon Prime (next day delivery) parcel has also not appeared.
    The first RMSD arrived 24 hours late, but the one that should have arrived today, has no tracking beyond 2100 last night.
    Is the system that I have sworn by for years beginning to fail?
    Is it anything to do with the fact that you live a million miles from the rest of society

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Is it anything to do with the fact that you live a million miles from the rest of society
    Good evening my cheeky friend. Most people would consider this a fair comment, but for the number of mail flights that we have into Inverness.
    Incredibly, 2nd Class post is often delivered here the day after it was posted!

Fingers crossed it’s just a blip Andrew. I’m sure it will turn up and seller can also claim back postage cost from Royail Mail.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Fingers crossed it’s just a blip Andrew. I’m sure it will turn up and seller can also claim back postage cost from Royail Mail.
    Cheers Ally. Despite my crazy number of watch purchases over the years, everything has always turned up. Never had a RMSD more than 24 hours late (yet!)
    Imagine how pleased my seller was last week when I informed him that he could claim his postage back - that was £29.60 that the Royal Mail lost.

Good evening my cheeky friend. Most people would consider this a fair comment, but for the number of mail flights that we have into Inverness.
    Incredibly, 2nd Class post is often delivered here the day after it was posted!
    All in jest dear friend, when I sent you a watch on a Friday and didn't even pay for Guaranteed Saturday delivery it still turned up - just taking the mick

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    All in jest dear friend, when I sent you a watch on a Friday and didn't even pay for Guaranteed Saturday delivery it still turned up - just taking the mick

It's OK Ken, I know what you are up to lol
    I have always found that a RMSD posted on a Friday arrives on a Saturday, even if you don't pay the premium for 'Saturday Guaranteed'. Cheeky so and so's!

Recently I had my first ever RMSD not arrive before the deadline. Refund issued with little hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Recently I had my first ever RMSD not arrive before the deadline. Refund issued with little hassle.

When I have had to claim, they have always issued a cheque quickly.
    It hadn’t really bothered me, but thinking more about it, a lot of recent arrivals have been delivered on the correct day, yet well past 1pm.

When I have had to claim, they have always issued a cheque quickly.
    It hadn’t really bothered me, but thinking more about it, a lot of recent arrivals have been delivered on the correct day, yet well past 1pm.
    Not sure how long you have to reclaim your money? Hopefully you can for all those ones.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    Not sure how long you have to reclaim your money? Hopefully you can for all those ones.
    think about my pension wen your claiming

Both parcels arrived this morning.
    The postie didn’t know that they were 24 hours late. She said that they are usually informed so they can apologise.
    Anyway, they are here safely now

RMSD is generally excellent, but yes they seem to employ some casual labour who just do what they want.

We have high turnover of postmen, and I had one guy for a week here who was giving us half the mail, then a couple of hours later he'd come back with some he'd forgotten in the bottom of the bag. This was every day, until one day he forgot to give us something I knew was on its way, next day the sender got in touch saying it had been returned and why did I return it... Turned out the postman had got to the point where he couldn't be bothered coming back to complete his job and just threw everything left over in the returns sack at the sorting office. He no longer works for the Royal Mail.

Quote Originally Posted by lewie View Post
    think about my pension wen your claiming
    I'm thinking of my hard earned cash that they're taking but for which they're not providing the paid-for service, sorry.
    Last edited by hughtrimble; 26th January 2018 at 13:28.