closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heatwaves, watches, and micro adjustment

Master

Heatwaves, watches, and micro adjustment

Just wondering how everyone else is coping with the current heatwave, horologically speaking. In summer, all my bracelets with micro adjustment usually go one hole looser. Of the ones that don't have micro-adjustment, the butterfly clasps seem to manage ok as they are more balanced on the wrist, while the standard ones are currently unwearable. My GS quartz is confined to the box, when it's usually my most comfortable watch. I'm also contemplating adding a link to my recently acquired 14790ST Royal Oak, but that may make it a poor fit for the remaining 9 months of the year. A watch that is occasionally unwearable is a strange kind of grail though.

Obviously the solution is to treat this as a time to enjoy the watches with leather straps again, which I am. It does make me think though that the perfect all round bracelet watch needs either a butterfly clasp, or at the very least microadjstment, and typically Rolex seem to have it covered best of all with their 'easylink' clasp, though I don't actually own one so I can't say for sure. Either way I was hoping for a less predictable conclusion!

How's everyone else coping? Do some of your watches live in the safe all summer? Is anyone else struggling with the Royal Oak or GS? Which watches a working for you?

Journeyman
    I'm impressed with the bracelet on my recently acquired GMT2. It has the mechanism that unclips to give a few extra mm (potentially the easy link you mention above).

Most of the time in this heat I tend to not wear a watch

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Is it the glide-lock design you speak of?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Love the easy link on my BLNR, bought the Seamaster adjustable clasp for my Speedmaster Professional. A guy I work with has just bought a Royal Oak and the lack of adjustment is a sore spot for him at the moment and he's about to get an extra link put in just for summer.

Does anyone know if there is adjustment like this on the 16600? I know there is a divers extension but I wouldn't class that as usable for everyday.

Master
    The bracelet on my sub cs brilliant takes 10 seconds to adjust when it gets hot, i can sometimes adjust it twice a day in this weather

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Does anyone know if there is adjustment like this on the 16600? I know there is a divers extension but I wouldn't class that as usable for everyday.
    I point you to this thread....

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...te-Sea-Dweller

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Is it the glide-lock design you speak of?

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    After a bit of googling I think it is the flip lock that I am talking about on my GMT

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I wear most things on Nato's nowadays. Either that or Titanium watches, which in the heat are far more comfortable I find.

Master
    I have been experimenting. Excellent as the glide lock is, I seem to prefer my watches with leather straps. They are still easier to adjust than any bracelet and feel lighter in the heat.
    Mind you, I am going to the beach with my Daytona, bracelet version. No playing in the sand. More a cold beer under a shade.
    Hard life.

Master
    Down to two watches and both my Seamaster 'Master' & Ginault Ocean Rover both have quick adjustment clasps- Godsend in this weather, don't think I'll ever buy another watch without this option.

The idea of sweating into a leather strap all summer long is off putting. I've stuck to the bracelet on my Explorer, using the easylink option when necessary. The bracelet means it's easy to run the watch under the tap at the end of a hot day too, giving it a quick clean. I may switch to perlon strap at some point though, as on occasion I find the heft of the bracelet quite noticeable in the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Rolex seem to have it covered best of all with their 'easylink' clasp
    The easylink is good, an adjustment on the clasp is usually not too difficult a change to carry out if you have a pin/tooth pick/tool.

I actually found the early Tudor expando bracelets very comfortable and there was no manual adjustment whatsoever.

At the moment I an sticking to watches with easy link, NATO or a decent rubber strap. All allow the watch and strap/bracelet to be run under a tap as required during the day to keep the hand cool.

The thought of wearing a leather strap in this heat is not very appealing.

Perhaps one day there will be a watch bracelet that uses the Peltier Effect to cool the wrist.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...n-energy-costs

The adjustment in my Speedmaster is real easy to use, just press and there are three positions for adjusting. No tools required.

Master
    Now in 30c at the seaside. What really strikes me is how wonderful the sunlight makes a decent dial look. They really spring to life. Still find a metal bracelet a bit much in real heat. Metal against skin is not ideal. A NATO might be best.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    The idea of sweating into a leather strap all summer long is off putting. I've stuck to the bracelet on my Explorer, using the easylink option when necessary. The bracelet means it's easy to run the watch under the tap at the end of a hot day too, giving it a quick clean. I may switch to perlon strap at some point though, as on occasion I find the heft of the bracelet quite noticeable in the heat.
    Yup glidelock or rubber strap for me, no way I'm wearing leather in this heat... strap or trousers...

Master
    Well the RO issue I mentioned is now sorted, not by adding another link but by having one moved from one side of the clasp to the other. It's amazing the difference it makes when a bracelet is adjusted correctly, suddenly everything sits right and it feels half a link bigger. Always worth persevering with bracelets, and weather like this really highlights any problems. Having said that, back in the box it goes and out comes something light with a strap.

I got ninety nine problems but micro adjustment ain't one

I really struggle with heat and wrist swelling and all bracelets bar one i have don't have any micro adjustment. And so nato or leather with one hole looser does the trick.

I also tend to wear titanium, much nicer in the heat or the nato suggestion to keep SS off the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    I got ninety nine problems but micro adjustment ain't one

When is that appearing on SC??

Craftsman
    Blnr easy link works great
    My roos on rubber so can be adjusted if needed on the strap

Master
    If it is something to consider, then I just wear my bond SMP. Just fits my wrist in any temperature somehow. It probably helps that I like wearing watches tight (not cutting the blood off, but I don't like there to be any play). It was sized when I bought it in the winter, and was just at the lake district in this weather and it wore just fine :)

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    When is that appearing on SC??
    Probably quite soon haha

Master
    Pelagos for me. Adjustable bracelet and not a boat anchor.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have been wearing my GO Seventies all week, no problems with sweaty expanding wrists, you don't even need to take it off to resize it

Master
    I agree with ally that the DSSD clasp has great adjustment. Also find the easy link on GMT and EXP2 very useful in this weather. Makes both of the above wearable on bracelet. Switching to NATO soon tho.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

In this heat I've had to make a micro adjustment to the pendulum of my grandfather clock as the heat expanded the pendulum causing it to lose 3 minutes this week. Terribly inconvenient.

Craftsman
    Nato for me in the extreme heat. Bracelets get a bit hot and tight, and I don't want to get my leathers straps all sweaty!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by phil h View Post
    I have been wearing my GO Seventies all week, no problems with sweaty expanding wrists, you don't even need to take it off to resize it
    agreed! I have the same and can't help think we win for adjustability on the fly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk