closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hay fever how do you guys deal with it!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull666 View Post
    Thanks guys, seems it's case of trial and error rather the a one medicine cure.

Those who suffer with really badly blocked nose what have you been using?
    I've had hay fever for 36 years now and recently found haymax. Great stuff, rub a bit uner your eyes and under your nose and works a treat. I also use the oe a day tablets and eye drops as I suffer quite badly from it.

Craftsman
    I had never suffered from it until this heatwave that is affecting us now, I am constantly sneezing...

Sent from my SM-G930F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornholio View Post
    I've suffered terribly with it for nearly fifty years. This is The Best Thing I've ever used. Only bought it a few months ago, wish I'd had one much sooner.

Half a litre of salty water up each nostril once or twice a day, and the job's a good 'un.

So long as you use the salt and get the water to blood temperature, it's not at all uncomfortable.

Of course, it won't help the eyes...

Stop smirking at the back...
    If it's going to make me start dropping all my Ts I'll skip thanks though it's as dockers recommend it I'm tempted.

Craftsman
    I've suffered terribly with it for nearly fifty years. This is The Best Thing I've ever used. Only bought it a few months ago, wish I'd had one much sooner.

Half a litre of salty water up each nostril once or twice a day, and the job's a good 'un.

So long as you use the salt and get the water to blood temperature, it's not at all uncomfortable.

Of course, it won't help the eyes...

https://www.amazinghealth.co.uk/nose...himalayan.html
    I'd been using something similar for nose problems, make sure you use cooled boiled water and not just warm tap water however as you can get really nasty health issues!

Quote Originally Posted by wombleh View Post
    I'd been using something similar for nose problems, make sure you use cooled boiled water and not just warm tap water however as you can get really nasty health issues!
    Indeed, those brain-eating bacteria are best avoided.

Nasal sprays are a double edged sword - instant relief but if you use them too much, rebound effects. Your sinuses can quickly become dependent on them. Side effects can be a bugger too - my heart races for a while after using them but needs must at night when it feels like somebody stuffed the duvet up there.

This product was recommended to me and helps too - Sterimar. Its a natural sea salt/saline spray but its in an aerosol, so really easy to use. Doesn't cure things, but makes it more bearable. http://www.boots.com/health-pharmacy...100ml-10028386

Sudafed works well for me during the day, the normal "decongestant tablets" variant (small, dark red tablets).

Agree on the nasal sprays - not a fan.

I get the odd day which I call the attack days which absolutely wipe me out - a dry throat, blocked nose, itchy eyes and non stop sneezing. The sneezing is what kills me.

Citrizine for me works randomly. It still feel like a lottery if it works or not. In the beginning of the period works well and as my body gets used to it it gets less effective.

Note though it may not just be hay fever. Allergies to grass and dust are certainly amplified around this time of year too. I'll definitely be trying eye drops to see how they work!

https://www.amazinghealth.co.uk/nose...himalayan.html...
    Or else: NeilMed Adult Sinus Rinse.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JPCain86 View Post
    Eyes are a killer for me. I have to peel gunk off my eyes in a morning before they open.

The feel like they have horrific sun burn on them. I've tried everything and nothing works.
    Bathe them in a morning, then use antihistamine eyedrops containing sodium cromoglycate.

Ordinary eyedrops are no use, they have to contain an anti-histamine active agent or they won`t help. These have been available for around 30 years, they're not new.

Another thing I do, and I can`t say for certain it helps, is eat honey every day. Some claim it helps, others claim it's an old wife's tale, but I`ve been doing this for the last few years and I don`t suffer as badly as I did. This could be due to other factors, but provided you like honey it can`t do any harm.

Paul

Master
    Had to resurrect this after a really bad 24 hours.... Went out and did some tree pruning and other work on Saturday. No hey fever issues.

Woke up Sunday with eye/nose streaming. Dosed up with anti-histamine tablets, Beconase up the hooter. By lunch time it's really bad. Can't breath. Lots of inhaler. More Beconase plus Sudafed/Paracetamol. Not getting better by mid-pm. Spent the next 5 hours flat on my back in the living room with the curtains drawn. Last night was the worse for a long time. Everything streaming. Sleep in spits-and-spurts.

Now at work but I can feel that any moment it could all start again: Eyes are moist and stinging. Nose a bit blocked and sniffling. Head feels dull. Throat sore.

Going to pop to Sainsburys at lunch time and get some of those eye drops with anti-histamine in.

Ho hum ;-)

Journeyman
    I've suffered for around 25 years. It used to write off my Summers. My symptoms are dreadful; itchy eyes, sneezing fits, itchy rash in my mouth, wheezing.

I tried everything and the only thing that works for me is Fexofenadine Hydrochloride which is a prescription only antihistamine.

It doesn't totally rid me of the symptoms but makes a huge difference. The over the counter options didn't even take the edge off for me.

I'd recommend supplementing it with a nasal spray such as benedryl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanusrjm View Post
    I've suffered for around 25 years. It used to write off my Summers. My symptoms are dreadful; itchy eyes, sneezing fits, itchy rash in my mouth, wheezing.

I tried everything and the only thing that works for me is Fexofenadine Hydrochloride which is a prescription only antihistamine.
    As it happens that's the one I'm using at the moment. 180mg twice a day. SWMBO got some from the quack earlier this year but she was given 5 boxes of 30 tablets and only ever used one box so I'm using them up. Been taking them for a few weeks now. Unfortunately didn't seem to make a dent on Sunday :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Deanusrjm View Post

It doesn't totally rid me of the symptoms but makes a huge difference. The over the counter options didn't even take the edge off for me.

I'd recommend supplementing it with a nasal spray such as benedryl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's what I take supposed to be one a day, but the Drs say it's ok to take up to three depending on other circumstances. This year I was bad even taking three so have had a steroid injection feel much better still have to top up with Fexi on bad days but the baseline is much better.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyMilts View Post
    That's what I take supposed to be one a day, but the Drs say it's ok to take up to three depending on other circumstances. This year I was bad even taking three so have had a steroid injection feel much better still have to top up with Fexi on bad days but the baseline is much better.
    I've only tried 2 per day so far though, yesterday, I would have tried 3... I was thinking of falling neck first onto the chainsaw yesterday - a bit desperate but....

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    I use Beconase nasal spray but when need to go out in the countryside supplement it with a megadose of vitamin C i.e. 1500mg of vitamin C … high dose vitamin C tablets are stocked by most supermarkets and all pharmacists / health food stores. How high a dose to take is up to the individual; I've gone as high as 2000mg every 2 hours when out in the countryside - but it also acts as a diuretic and makes you pee (and colours your urine yellow) so need to drink plenty of water with it e.g. a pint of water (and more on a hot day) to avoid dehydration. Regular high doses of vitamin C can also increase propensity for forming kidney stones so that's another reason to drink plenty of water with the megadose tablets

Last Saturday was a particularly high pollen count day and I was out all afternoon in this habitat, crawling about in grasses, photographing orchids … but no hay fever symptoms because I prepared myself by taking 1500mg vitamin C 1 hour before setting out

… vitamin C always works for me.

dunk
    Have you tried it without the vitamin C? I'll bet it's the Beconase which works very well for me also. It makes you pee because you're body is getting rid of the excess, as a heavy user of vitamins in the past to try to help with other things I've had that a lot :-)