closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What wrecks oyster bracelets?

What wrecks oyster bracelets?

Having seen some Rolex Oyster bracelets of late with lots of stretch or "unusual wear", I was just wondering what's the biggest issue in the deterioration of this particular bracelet style.

Is it wearing them too loose?

Too tight?

Or will it inevitably have involved some kind of trauma to the bracelet?

Not aware of anything particular to the oyster style. This is a good explanation though. Basically wearing bracelets loose can increase wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    It's a misnomer. Bracelets don't actually (or at least very rarely) stretch in the usual sense of yield deformation; the elongation is due to abrasive metal loss. The links and pins simply eat through each other over time, although this can be greatly reduced by keeping the bracelet clean and wearing it snugly on the wrist.

Here's what so-called "stretch" really is — note that this one has worn right though the thick spring bar tube:

Image source: watchmaking blog — tribology

Since there's an equal amount of material at the wear points on newer solid-link bracelets, they're equally prone to this effect. The extra metal in the middle makes no difference since it's in tension.

Master
    A combination of factors may cause deterioration, but I would say that the most deleterious is wearing the watch in the joint of your wrist, where articulation of the hand creates irresistible torque on the ends of the bracelet, near the head.

If worn as recommended, above the ulnar styloid, the bracelet escapes this (literal) torture and should be good for decades from new.

Haywood
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 21st June 2017 at 01:03.

Thanks both for the late night replies...

The question arose because, wearing an old Tag at the weekend, I realised I preferred it much looser when it was a regular wearer than I do my Explorer currently. It sounds like I'm not doing damage in either case though - I do keep them well off the joint

Friction, metal rubbing against metal causes wear, don't wear it and there's no problem.
    Last edited by number2; 21st June 2017 at 06:33.

Journeyman
    has anyone seen a SEL bracelet repaired successfully? specifically, the end link that connects to the rest of the bracelet...

all my watches with SEL bracelet display some minor deformation/twisting on the first link connected to the SEL at the 12 o'clock side.

my omega went for a service but it didn't appear this was rectified. it's not major, but it's there. my wrist is about 8" if it matters.

on a hollow end link bracelet, the wear is mostly on the spring bar itself - easily changed...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    A combination of factors may cause deterioration, but I would say that the most deleterious is wearing the watch in the joint of your wrist, where articulation of the hand creates irresistible torque on the ends of the bracelet, near the head.

If worn as recommended, above the ulnar styloid, the bracelet escapes this (literal) torture and should be good for decades from new.

Haywood
    Thanks Haywood. There has been much jocular discussion about people wearing their watches half way up their arm. It's probably a physiological thing.

Luckly I have a somewhat pronounced ulnar styloid this assists in wearing a watch to give least stretch. Example here with my IWC, but gives the idea

I would surmise that the older Rolex bracelets suffered more as they were less easily adjusted. For example my wife wears her DJ loose so I imagine over time it may suffer this torture (though less so being a less massive watch).

Grand Master
    Keeping them clean helps reduce the wear rate. Dirt acts as an abrasive; combined with a loosely worn bracelet (thus allowing more movement) it's a recipe for wear.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    Keeping them clean helps reduce the wear rate. Dirt acts as an abrasive; combined with a loosely worn bracelet (thus allowing more movement) it's a recipe for wear.

Paul
    Indeed, keeping the watch clean and not wearing it loose does wonders for its longevity.

From http://watchmakingblog.com/2010/02/0...-watch-clean/:

I keep coming back to this topic, because it is one that I see nearly every day. You should really keep your watches clean. Besides, the fact that a watch full of body cheese is disgusting, it also causes your watch bracelet to wear out prematurely (I touched on this in A clean watch lasts forever and Tribology). A well made watch bracelet should provide you with many, many years of use. A Rolex bracelet, for example, should really provide you with 30 years of use if you keep it clean and wear it tight to the wrist.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Are ulnar styloid bones more pronounced in men than women?
    I've never seen a woman with a pronounced bone like that.

Genuine q before I start complaining about being genetically predisposed to stretching oyster bracelets and the unfairness of it all ;)

^^^ Here's an interesting paper that touches on the subject.

In summary,

Mean ulna lengths of the male were significantly larger than that of the females of all ages.

Master
    I always wear my bracelets tight. I assume that this limits the movement of the links against each other and so minimises wear and stretch.

I've never been able to work out how anyone can wear a watch comfortably actuallly on the wrist joint.
    Last edited by David_D; 21st June 2017 at 18:39.

I wear my bracelets loose, id rather buy a new one in ten years than be uncomfortable

If it's uncomfortable, then you're doing it wrong.

Answer to the question: my wife.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    I've never been able to work out how anyone can wear a watch comfortably actuallly on the wrist joint.
    You're in a minority then. I'd suggest that the vast majority of on wrist pictures on this site show watches being worn on or below the wrist joint such that their bracelets are being gradually damaged.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    You're in a minority then. I'd suggest that the vast majority of on wrist pictures on this site show watches being worn on or below the wrist joint such that their bracelets are being gradually damaged.

Yes, below not on the wrist joint.

My ulnar bone is approx. 130mm from the metacarpophalangeal joint of my first finger.

If I wore my watch above my ulna, it would be almost halfway between my wrist & elbow. (Not really, but it would be way up my arm.)
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    Maybe animalone can catalog this along with the brands on the Friday thread? :)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    ^^^ Here's an interesting paper that touches on the subject.

In summary,
    Aha! Thanks Sean.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Yes, below not on the wrist joint.
    Fair point. I jumped the gun. Or something.

People are built differently.
    Some have more pronounced bits with Latin names on their arms, some less. Some people's bits with Latin names are in more fortunate positions than others - allowing watches to be worn in more visually appealing proximity to the wrist.
    Some people wear watches too big for them halfway down their forearms and blame their Latin named bits as opposed to their actual wrist dimensions.

I know old guys who wear oyster bracelet watches actually on their wrist, poking out from under the cuff, with no bracelet stretch at all - they've had them for years as their only watch.

To the original point, however, it seems to be predominantly the bracelets of a certain watch brand that get cited as having "bracelet stretch" - whether this be because of design, how many of the watches have been made and worn to death per year over how many years or some other factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    If it's uncomfortable, then you're doing it wrong.
    Now that's just being sensible...

Check out the dude in the other thread rocking a gold sub below the joint. How much £ damage would that be doing???

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    I wear my bracelets loose, id rather buy a new one in ten years than be uncomfortable
    This☝️

I have been wearing Rolexes for 35 years and I always have worn them loose. Never had an issue, nor have I ever replaced a strap.

Personally I subscribe to the "keep it clean" approach. Also if it worn tight it will cause the pins to wear.

Finally don't forget that your strap expands and contracts with temp, ditto people. I always notice my straps become tighter when it's hot
    Last edited by Andyg; 21st June 2017 at 22:11.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Some look like people opened oysters with them on a daily basis....blame the name :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk